• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Ok.. after doing a bit more searching on the subject, it looks like I was under the wrong impression about ranking (due to the naming of the rank required to get the Claymore). While Fabled sounds like an absolute top tier ranking, it's apparently just above average.

According to Gigz at least, the rankings in Glory go as follows, from lowest to highest. Guardian < Brave <Heroic < Fabled < Mythic < Legend. If that's accurate, it would work out to about the top 33% of players if assuming an equal split among rank (which isn't typical for a ladder system but this is just to give an idea).

That should be much more achievable as a solo player or a casual group than I originally thought.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Ok.. after doing a bit more searching on the subject, it looks like I was under the wrong impression about ranking (due to the naming of the rank required to get the Claymore). While Fabled sounds like an absolute top tier ranking, it's apparently just above average.

According to Gigz at least, the rankings in Glory go as follows, from lowest to highest. Guardian < Brave <Heroic < Fabled < Mythic < Legend. If that's accurate, it would work out to about the top 33% of players if assuming an equal split among rank (which isn't typical for a ladder system but this is just to give an idea).

That should be much more achievable as a solo player or a casual group than I originally thought.

By what matrix is this determined?

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
By what matrix is this determined?

As I said, that's the percentage if assuming an equal split among every category (unless my math is seriously off). Ladders don't typical split like that but it's just an example number. Gigz suggested its a more generous top 40%.

I seriously doubt they're going to taper the top 3 ranks to an insane degree.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
As I said, that's the percentage if assuming an equal split among every category (unless my math is seriously off). Ladders don't typical split like that but it's just an example number. Gigz suggested its a more generous top 40%.

I seriously doubt they're going to taper the top 3 ranks to an insane degree.

What I mean is how do they determine the ranking? Wins, k/d, ELO, games played, kills?

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
What I mean is how do they determine the ranking? Wins, k/d, ELO, games played, kills?

Ah, pardon my misunderstanding. From what I can gather it's ELO-esque. Glory gained or lost through Wins and Losses. I haven't seen anything that states if it's flat or based on opposing team rank but Gigz mentioned some kind of streak bonus for consecutive wins.

It's all still rather unclear and all of this could be wrong if Gigs is... inaccurate in his assertions.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to how they improve matchmaking for us solo q'ers. I didn't play much D2 crucible but in the little I played getting stomped by a four stack was all too common.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
It will be based on wins and losses. Similar to how ELO goes up and down.
Kills and k/d won't matter at all. In actual competitive fps (halo) the top players don't actually have a crazy high KD because they play against other players of equal skill.

Ah, pardon my misunderstanding. From what I can gather it's ELO-esque. Glory gained or lost through Wins and Losses. I haven't seen anything that states if it's flat or based on opposing team rank but Gigz mentioned some kind of streak bonus for consecutive wins.
It's all still rather unclear and all of this could be wrong if Gigs is... inaccurate in his assertions.

Oh Goodness, so if you are not on a consistently winning team then it's never gonna happen..... sheesh...

I can't wait till we see the first offers like "200$ for carry to max glory rank!"

yup, I can already see the posts on the mobile app LFG....

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Nightfall is Garden World, with the reward being a ship. I guess I'll hit the pavement when I get back home this weekend

Dez_

Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably not going to go for the Claymore pulse rifle, and that's okay. I haven't really been a fan of the competitive playlist since the start of the game. Even if they were going to do something about running crucible solo queuing, the gametypes aren't really for me. If there are groups forming together to jump in and try to win matches, then that will be a different story, but otherwise I'm good.

Mindlog

Oct 25, 2017
Exclusive strikes are the worst. Change that setup to something else. We need all the Nightfall strikes we can get.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm late to this but I want to chime and say D2 is totally content starved. What's in the game right is nowhere near enough. The game needs more strikes and every zone should be EDZ-sized. The existing content is insufficient so it becomes repetitious and boring almost immediately. D1 had this problem too until TTK helped.

Edit: There aren't enough exotics and unique (as in stand out with solid perks) legendaries either. If there were more they could put weapons into specific activity loot pools making specific activities more enticing because of the loot it could dish out. They don't have enough stuff to do neat things like that so there's just one big boring ol' universal loot pool instead.

Last edited:

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Like clockwork, the DTG reddit has already pivoted from "Bring back the grind!" and "The best gear should come from pinnacle group activities, no handouts!" to "There should be a way for solo players to get the best gear" and "I don't want to have to Raid and do Trials."

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Exclusive strikes are the worst. Change that setup to something else. We need all the Nightfall strikes we can get.
Yep, and doing this even fucks over those of us on PS4 since those exclusive items/maps/strikes never show up as events. Like you said, the exclusive strike won't be a NF on PS4 until a year later.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Like clockwork, the DTG reddit has already pivoted from "Bring back the grind!" and "The best gear should come from pinnacle group activities, no handouts!" to "There should be a way for solo players to get the best gear" and "I don't want to have to Raid and do Trials."
They just want to keep whining

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There should be a balance between ruining your life grinding Destiny and having everything handed out. Bungie needs to stop changing things in extremes. That said, I would be extremely happy if they have a solution for solo competitive players.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There should be a balance between ruining your life grinding Destiny and having everything handed out. Bungie needs to stop changing things in extremes. That said, I would be extremely happy if they have a solution for solo competitive players.

The balance is that if you want good stuff you play a lot and invest yourself into it. Grinding in Destiny isn't even that hard compared to something next level like FFXIV's relic weapon quests or Granblue's grindathon.

EDIT: Just read the reddit thread. For a game that is all about group play and multiplayer activities, people are fucking stupid if they think they should be handed out for doing an activity by themselves. The game should incentivize you to group up and do things together and not solo. I understand that bungie makes incentivizing that hard with backward ass systems like lack of proper matchmaking and such, but that reddit thread is full of asinine posters. I hope bungie doesn't listen to them. It's shit like that which resulted in D2 being where it's at. Most of the community is stupid.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Another bungie crucible guy commenting on the solo vs fireteam stuff

My regular crucible play is solo 95% of the time and honestly, running up against full squads isn't my biggest frustration. My biggest frustrations are:

1.) The frequency in which I get paired with someone who is undereleveled and inexperienced (level 8 or so and clearly fresh)

2.) The frequency in which my teams start with 1 or 2 less players, forcing us to play impossible to play modes like Control for several minutes (permanent power play for the enemy team)

3.) The continuing inability for us PC players TO SPEAK TO OUR FUCKING TEAMMATES. Goddamnit Bungie, the last time I wasn't able to speak to a teammate in a Bungie game was in Halo 1 before Xbox Live was released and we were using online tunnel systems to create pseudo LANs. Why the fuck is it like 15 years+ later and we're back to not being able to speak to teammates in a game that is currently focused with laser-like intent on TEAM shotting and TEAM movements? How the fuck are randoms supposed to even begin to coordinate to even the smallest degree without the ability to speak to one another? Especially when you consider how little audio queues help in this game (often times little or no audio warning). Getting flanked and not being able to warn my teammates before they all get slaughtered is just the worst feeling in any multiplayer game since the 90s.

So sure, I greatly understand the advantage that pre-mades have...but man there are so many other bigger issues. Starting with my ability to communicate.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest issue is people not being penalized for leaving early. I think the way mercy works is all sorts of whack. I also think that some teams are way too stacked and games are just uneven 50% of the time. This is unacceptable. 50% match quality is pure garbage in this day and age.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
6v6 does help,

my experience with 6v6 is that there are more comeback possibilities even if you have 1 AFK .

4v4 though, eeesshh I rarely ever saw comebacks in D2's 4v4 structure.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, something to actually chase for in PVP again. If we get together a stack, this should be fucking easy.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
More account recoveries, more high level players exploiting weaker players for money to do so, etc, etc, etc.

This game is super unforgiving to solo players, it's always been that way, no matter what they try to do. A lot of people don't want to play it, more often or anymore because of that.

Mindlog

Oct 25, 2017
There's no challenge to the PvP grind at all. As long as you have a group you'll easily get there. Minimal competency required. Just keep playing. Play some more. Drive up those hours. Hey your viewers want to watch you play. Keep playing asshole. And some more. Keep playing. Engagement. Rich compelling chase. How are you not understanding. Play some more!

Pub stomping is rewarding
For a game that is all about group play and multiplayer activities, people are fucking stupid if they think they should be handed out for doing an activity by themselves.
This is a problem with Destiny discussion always being bound by the extremes. We are either tied to handouts or unbearable grind. Silly nonsense.

Let's do this the right way. Fatebringer Exotic Quest. Must complete -45 Prestige Nightfall Solo.
Something truly sought after that completely locks out the weak links.

I'll do recoveries for $10,000.

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
More account recoveries, more high level players exploiting weaker players for money to do so, etc, etc, etc.

This game is super unforgiving to solo players, it's always been that way, no matter what they try to do. A lot of people don't want to play it, more often or anymore because of that.
More DDOSers. I can't imagine how many people are going to get fucked over by the quitting penalty after they've been forcefully booted out of the game by some prick getting paid to carry some schmuck.

Trakan

Oct 25, 2017
You mentioned carry. I don't know the full grind for it or what details just that it will be a grind in competitive.. I haven't sat down to catch up completely with the info

To get the Claymore you have to play Competitive. If you lose, you get farther away from the gun. If you win every game, you get there faster. It's not like Quickplay where both wins and losses progress your rank.

Pivot? It's pretty clear these are two different groups of people asking for these two different things. Like, what don't you get?

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
So I caught this snippet:According to Bungie's calculations, it'll take players roughly 26 days of 6-hour play sessions and 100% win rate to hit legend as quickly as possible.

I got a feeling getting the gun is doable but the ornament will be something I don't see worth it, but we will see.

Last edited:

ImperatorPat

Oct 25, 2017
USA
So I caught this snippet:According to Bungie's calculations, it'll take players roughly 26 days of 6-hour play sessions and 100% win rate to hit legend as quickly as possible.

I got a feeling getting the gun is doable but the ornament will be something I don't see worth it, but we will see.
Legend seems to be something similar to champion rank in halo 5 crossed with Inheritor from halo reach - requiring both a lot of skill and also a lot of time.

Based on what they're saying getting to fabled rank to unlock the gun itself should be doable though for many.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017

Ornaments are never worth it unless it's easily noticeable in-game.

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Legend seems to be something similar to champion rank in halo 5 crossed with Inheritor from halo reach - requiring both a lot of skill and also a lot of time.

Based on what they're saying getting to fabled rank to unlock the gun itself should be doable though for many.

Ornaments for me are just ok as a driving force in games, that's why I struggle with any game that is merely cosmetics. It's just not enough for me to care but I really hope fabled is doable, I am fairly confident I can make it but only thing I forsee that could hurt it for someone like me is just not having a dedicated team all the time. Although gonna try to get it going with the clan here, but for solo stuff I hope they truly address it to help solo queuers a bit.

It they're basing it on wins and the building of glory ranks, why wouldn't simply wins be the factor? Like 50 wins is a tier, 100, 150 wins is fabled etc....

That way it's still a grind but more of a progressive build, and I'm sure after 150 wins one would feel they worked for it.

ImperatorPat

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ornaments for me are just ok as a driving force in games, that's why I struggle with any game that is merely cosmetics. It's just not enough for me to care but I really hope fabled is doable, I am fairly confident I can make it but only thing I forsee that could hurt it for someone like me is just not having a dedicated team all the time. Although gonna try to get it going with the clan here, but for solo stuff I hope they truly address it to help solo queuers a bit.

It they're basing it on wins and the building of glory ranks, why wouldn't simply wins be the factor? Like 50 wins is a tier, 100, 150 wins is fabled etc....

That way it's still a grind but more of a progressive build, and I'm sure after 150 wins one would feel they worked for it.
I think they'll have more armor ornaments and stuff that work like that for season 3 as well (being grindable just based on wins, etc like the current crucible ornaments).

An ornament for reaching legend rank makes sense to me but it's aimed at rewarding only those with the best skill in the crucible, so not everyone would be expected to get it no matter how much they grind. Something small for streamers and other semi-professional players to show off their achievement basically.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

Likely due to input from folks who want more exclusive loot for the best of the best. There's always been that segment of the playerbase that feels that there should be some things only available to the best of the best. The Valor system, however, works like you've suggested. You gain Valor simply by playing matches. Larger amounts for a win than a loss but you gain either way.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
You know what should be an award for Legendary? A permanent Aura you can equip at anytime.