• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Beside Connor, I don't think I want to play the other side stories.

Probably will wait for the review and see how it plays out.

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Unlocked some of the artwork and its just absolutely gorgeous to watch.

I do wonder why
Alice was changed from African American to Caucasian
but I guess I'll chalk that up to just concept art being thrown around, like Kara's haircut being completely different from the concept art.

Beside Connor, I don't think I want to play the other side stories.

Probably will wait for the review and see how it plays out.
Reviews have been out for a day. Currently sitting at 80 on Metacritic.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Got my copy! Major props to Monster-shop.co.uk. Never ordered from them before. Delivered the very next day, plus I basically got a Blu Ray for free! Blade Runner 2049 + Detroit for £42 with the voucher code. Spot on.

Last edited:

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I do wonder why
Alice was changed from African American to Caucasian
but I guess I'll chalk that up to just concept art being thrown around, like Kara's haircut being completely different from the concept art.
It's likely called "casting" :P

Got my copy! Major props to Monster-shop.co.uk. Never ordered from them before. Delivered the very next day, plus I basically got a Blu Ray for free! Blade Runner 2049 + Detroit for £42 with the voucher code. Spot on!
Excellent choice. During a crime scene investigation with Connor you do feel like K hunting replicants a bit and the music evokes a similar feeling too. It is awesome

DukeBobby

Oct 25, 2017
Got my copy! Major props to Monster-shop.co.uk. Never ordered from them before. Delivered the very next day, plus I basically got a Blu Ray for free! Blade Runner 2049 + Detroit for £42 with the voucher code. Spot on!

Nice! It sounds like they're pretty reliable.

I'll be sure to check them out if they have any good deals coming up.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So is the game actually good? Like writing wise at all?

I've already seen the images which is why I ask

It has several cringe scenes, stuff like " they tuk ur jubs".

But characters are great, the setpieces impressive and the performance stellar.

Game has been enjoyed by an overwhelming majority. So don't mind the out of context screenshots.

Oct 28, 2017
Only few chapters in but this is already just as stressing as Heavy Rain. Liking it a lot. I haven't seen anything wrong with the writing so far but I'm just about to leave exposition phase. Gorgeous game. Also I like how it somehow makes me feel the weight every time I have to make a choice.

Print_Dog

Oct 27, 2017
I left this downloading on my home PS4 when I left for work this morning. Can't wait to get home and try it out. Coming off of Persona 5, this'll be a nice change of pace.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
My mind is still blown upon the revelation that Life is Strange had it. Enjoyable enough game, but those character movements were barely a step up from the Team America cast.
Thing about motion capture is that it only helps the process, it still requires a ton of polish and using it isn't a guarantee of ideal results. Due to the nature of LiS, namely, the mundanity, it involves characters doing a lot of things that video game characters don't normally do without the budget of a QD game. like see this example where Rachel and Chloe are interacting while the background characters are in idol:
WX5422t.gif

But even with the flaws the characters are a ton more nuanced than even the best moments in Telltale games. See Chloe in the following examples.
Hksblsa.gif

Sg1TyU5.gif

Or even something as benign as a handshake:
life-is-strange-handshake-chloe-max-gif-animation.gif

or Chloe being immature:
BNz3Qs8.gif

It's not matching the quality of triple A affairs but it's still good considering the time and budget per episode.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
You know things are rough when the bar you set is "the best Telltale animations" :p .

Oct 27, 2017
Does the game have any motion controlled QTEs? It's one of the few things I actually truly hate in games and it hampered my like of Heavy Rain.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Does the game have any motion controlled QTEs? It's one of the few things I actually truly hate in games and it hampered my like of Heavy Rain.

It absolutely does but not as much as Heavy Rain.

They usually make more sense while Heavy Rain felt like they wanted to include them whenever they could.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
You know things are rough when the bar you set is "the best Telltale animations" :p .
I mean context matters. You can actually track the steady progression of improvements to Telltale's modeling and animation. Like there's a genuine world of Season 3 of The Walking Dead and the later seasons of Batman compared to Borderlands, GoT, and the earlier seasons of TWD.

Yes.

DukeBobby

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, but the movements feel easier to pull off in this game. So far, there is nothing like "The Bear" trial as Ethan in Heavy Rain. Ugh, that fucking "Kamikaze" trophy gave me nightmares.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I got the digital soundtrack and dynamic theme as a pre order bonus. Pretty cool. Didn't even realise there were any bonuses lol.

Had a quick listen to numerous tracks and it sounds absolutely fantastic.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Oh man the chase scenes in this game can get super epic. Great gameplay integration too, so much more involving than the action in Until Dawn for example. Not too easy either with some split second decision making. And holy shit you run fast through a lot of amazingly detailed sets and it is so cool

Gemeanie

Oct 27, 2017
SEA
He breaks trough because he wants to protect his owner from his son. That's how I interpreted it. The painting did awake in him the need to go against his programming though. I loved how that basically says: art is what makes us human
Ah, I might have taken the messages during the prompts on face value. I really love the painting scene itself too, especially by making Markus copy the painting Carl just completed

Love how Connor is such an unintentional jerk sometimes. I picked the dialogue choice 'Anderson' in the office because I thought he'd gather info about Hank but..
lmao

Edit: Oh dear I failed miserably in police station. Apparently my talent in accidentally picking the worst dialogues in datesim games has carried over

Last edited:

DukeBobby

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man the chase scenes in this game can get super epic. Great gameplay integration too, so much more involving than the action in Until Dawn for example. Not too easy either with some split second decision making. And holy shit you run fast through a lot of amazingly detailed sets and it is so cool

This is definitely QD's most gameplay driven game yet. People who say "it's mostly cutscenes but you press a few buttons here and there" are wrong because you are in control of your character the majority of the time.

Unlike in Telltale's games, where you might be able to move your character 2-3 times per episode.

bshock

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Very impressed with the game so far. The visuals and overall atmosphere are probably the best I've ever experienced in a game.

LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
Legit shocked @ how good this game is so far. I mean, I've enjoyed QD games (mainly Heavy Rain) before but this one is definitely a step up in all departments.

The graphics are unreal. I know it is full of constricted spaces which makes it easier but it really feels like a generation ahead of some other games I've played recently.

The acting also has to be praised. I love Connor.

Clocian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 23, 2018
Awww yeah, was able to get that voluntary time off. Time to dive back in!

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of people checking out the game on Twitch.

I'm still early but yeah I like it. I don't mind the occasional cheesy lines, the characters do feel genuine. Gameplay / visuals are stellar imo.

Donthizz

Oct 26, 2017
Just saw a walkthrough of the
interrogation
scene. I got a totally different outcome, darn it.

Gemeanie

Oct 27, 2017
SEA
Oh damn you guys weren't kidding about On The Run chapter. The quick and smooth transition between the protagonists in control was really impressive.

I failed a QTE with the umbrella? and suddenly Connor is chasing Kara and Alice. Ignored Hank's order and got Connor killed, while Kara and Alice made it out alive. The QTE chain was something else.

I don't think there's a chance for a friendship between Connor and Hank in my playthrough now lol

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, okay :P

Still interesting to view the concept art and wonder about these sorts of things.

My theory: both of her parents aren't painted in an exactly positive light, including one who is pretty much a monster. I don't think Cage wanted to draw attention to something like "Oh look, there's a few african american characters in the story... aaaaaand they suck. Yep."

He's already accused to be racist, having what is possibly the most villanous character in the story being african american would have probably been suspect (or rather would have given fuel to his detractors)

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Damn this game is stressful. If you're like me and you always want to have the right outcome and want all characters to see things through to the end, major decisions are kind of terrifying lol. Plus the fact that your options are timed has me panicked.

So far so good. Nice use of the touch pad, smooth controls, unbelievable visuals, great use of depth of field, and a very good OST.

You can also tell QD took the lack of diversity comments to heart, because the city in Detroit is one of the most diverse I've ever seen in a game. Every variety of race, weight, build, look and size. Like, middle weight and overweight people everywhere. NPCs seem really well modelled too.

I also like how anti Android propaganda is propagated everywhere, even in movie posters etc (3021 After Mankind lol).

Oct 27, 2017
It absolutely does but not as much as Heavy Rain.

They usually make more sense while Heavy Rain felt like they wanted to include them whenever they could.
Yes, but the movements feel easier to pull off in this game. So far, there is nothing like "The Bear" trial as Ethan in Heavy Rain. Ugh, that fucking "Kamikaze" trophy gave me nightmares.

Dammit. I don't mind QTEs but I'm not super fond of motion controls — the time critical motion controls in HR made me not want to continue tbh which was a shame because I actually enjoyed it apart from those points. So hopefully it will be better like you guys have said.

Thanks for the replies - Gonna take a nap methinks and then marathon the game later.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Played a few hours last night. Good stuff so far.

Biggest issue for me is I keep moving the camera when I try to interact with something.

Apr 8, 2018
Still thinking about picking this up today. Loved the demo and played it a bunch of times to see different outcomes.

Does anyone know how easy it would be to acquire the platinum though? Like is it just a matter of loading up chapters again and making different choices and/or interacting with different things or is there like a trophy for each ending (which I would assume requires multiple playthroughs and not just loading up x chapter)?

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017

As far as I've seen changing the difficulty to easy removes motion controlled QTEs. It also seems like when you're on a timer, you generally have more time, so I switched to that after failing twice on something because I had like 15 seconds to rotate the camera multiple times slooowly to see what I could actually interact with, then figure out what to actually do, while also combating slow multi-press QTEs.

That whole sequence
with Kara in the house with the dude who claimed to be able to help was stupid. Everything was sooo obviously a trap, you can even comment "yes I don't trust him either" and still there's no option to like...leave the house. Remember in Beyond Two Souls where you could leave the seedy bar within seconds of arriving? Not so here.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
You can also tell QD took the lack of diversity comments to heart, because the city in Detroit is one of the most diverse I've ever seen in a game. Every variety of race, weight, build, look and size. Like, middle weight and overweight people everywhere. NPCs seem really well modelled too.

This can't be stated enough, game does a great job at that.

So far it's shaping up to be one of my favorite games.

Still thinking about picking this up today. Loved the demo and played it a bunch of times to see different outcomes.

Does anyone know how easy it would be to acquire the platinum though? Like is it just a matter of loading up chapters again and making different choices and/or interacting with different things or is there like a trophy for each ending (which I would assume requires multiple playthroughs and not just loading up x chapter)?

Getting all out outcomes is not required for the platinum. You can make that hunt "easy" for you without replaying everything multiple time. Count something like two playthroughs to plat. Second one being shorter as you know what shortcuts to take.

And if you loved the demo I can guarantee you will be BLOWN AWAY by the game. the demo is like 10% of what the game has to offer.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Damn this game is stressful. If you're like me and you always want to have the right outcome and want all characters to see things through to the end, major decisions are kind of terrifying lol. Plus the fact that your options are timed has me panicked.

So far so good. Nice use of the touch pad, smooth controls, unbelievable visuals, great use of depth of field, and a very good OST.

I also like how anti Android propaganda is propagated everywhere, even in movie posters etc (3021 After Mankind lol).

yeah but what about that out of context screenshot with a derivative of MLK's quote ..

/s

Gonna start playing this after work tonight. I booted it up and this game has probably one of the most creative 'calibrate your settings' pre-intro segment I have seen in a game so far.

Gonna delete the system save before starting this because the Mrs. wants to play this with me, so she can see that too.