• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jiro

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Super hyped, I have loved all David Cage's games and he is one of my favorite directors. Can't wait!

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Felt like this section had way more emotion than the previous slices that have been shown off. I'm down for sure but I think I'm going to go on a blackout for it.

The music was also good for such a short bit. Had some doubts considering Normand Corbeil passing (RIP you wonderful composer you) so I'm getting hopeful here.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
With so many paths, will things actually matter. Cage is good at presenting an interesting concept and then failing to follow through. under/over on attempted rape of the female robots?

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Even though I loved Heavy Rain and liked Beyond Two Souls, I was never all that excited about this game...until today's trailer. It was great.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rape? Wtf I'm must have missed that. Game looks absolutely phenomenal though. Graphics, choices, themes in the story. Can't Wait
It's not in the trailer, but Cage really really likes sending his female characters into sexual assault threatening situations. And given how obviously disgusting this abuser dad character is, I doubt Cage will resist himself.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
This trailer looked amazing. Like many, I think Beyond: Two Souls was a bit of a mess, but I gotta say despite the criticism I really enjoyed Heavy Rain and like the body of Cage's work.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
It's not in the trailer, but Cage really really likes sending his female characters into sexual assault threatening situations. And given how obviously disgusting this abuser dad character is, I doubt Cage will resist himself.

Well, is it really rape if the robot is designed to obey/has no free will? It's an interesting topic to explore, but I don't know if Cage is the right man for that.

John Marston

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Beyond last month (also played Heavy Rain many years back). Hope this game combines the best of the two games. Really like the sci-fi setting too. Also, how many people still remember the Kara trailer/tech demo from 2011/2012?

frankabus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, this game's trailers have been so roller-coastery for me. The initial trailer way back when was very interesting, but then the whole robot rebellion thing soured me on the premise, but then this one has me intrigued once more.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, is it really rape if the robot is designed to obey/has no free will? It's an interesting topic to explore, but I don't know if Cage is the right man for that.
I mean, I feel like the moral of the story is going to be that yes, robots are people with agency because everything about this game points to that. Also, West World and AMC's Humans have both explored said topic of morality of having sex with robots that are programmed to be very human-like.

Moza

Oct 27, 2017
This game demos so damn well. It has gotten to the point where I think they have shown more than enough though. My only concern at this point is the fact we have seen a new playable character for every trailer so far and I worry that having too many will lead to a less focused story or what could feel like a bunch of mini episodes, instead of a unified plot.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I feel like the moral of the story is going to be that yes, robots are people with agency because everything about this game points to that. Also, West World and AMC's Humans have both explored said topic of morality of having sex with robots that are programmed to be very human-like.

I don't disagree, though just because one show or book has explored the topic before doesn't mean someone else can't add their own voice to it. We'll see if Cage is able to say anything new or fumble around a well-tread concept at this point.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Just got home and saw the whole conference. This trailer was excellent. It's pretty much sealed the deal for me on this game.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Felt like this section had way more emotion than the previous slices that have been shown off. I'm down for sure but I think I'm going to go on a blackout for it.

The music was also good for such a short bit. Had some doubts considering Normand Corbeil passing (RIP you wonderful composer you) so I'm getting hopeful here.
You dont really need to worry. While losing Corbeil was tragic as hell and his score is the best a QD title has had yet, the Beyond OST was nothing to snuff at either. Im usually not a giant fan of Lorne Balfe (I guess by extension Hans Zimmer too), but he really put a lot of effort into the Beyond score and its probably his best work to date. Last I heard he does Detroit too so it should be really nice at the very least. Cage's original profession was being a composer which explains his big focus on music in his games and probably why its consistently good because he knows what he is looking for

Deleted member 1852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly as they have gradually revealed the 3 main characters and story lines of the game, it has looked better and better. The first reveal was I think the Blade Runner-type android and I was like meh. The second reveal was the android trying to start a revolution and I was like this is interesting. This reveal looks just great, and apparently it is the main character and primary story line.

I wonder how the 3 different story lines will converge in the end.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
A was a great trailer for this type of game. Impressed with how much different outcomes it seems to be this time around. Also I can understand how the game took its time to shoot and write. Like the premise of the story so hopefully Cage can impress!

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Cage may not always get it completely right, but I appreciate what he does. You'd be hard pressed to find other adventure games with anything close to these kind of production values.

Print_Dog

Oct 27, 2017
I was sold on this the moment itvwas announced, but this trailer was just what I needed to see to hype me up. I love how differently this game can seemingly turn out. I hope there's an option to turn the success percentage off. I may let the Mrs. play through this while I watch the first time through.

Bam Ford

Oct 29, 2017
Lisburn, Northern Ireland
David Cage and Quantic Dream are always trying to do something unique. That alone excites me.

I also love the way these trailers show choice. It really looks like this game will truly have interesting multiple paths throughout it.

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I knew it, David Cage just can't help but put gratuitous violence against women in his games. I'll bet $50 there are also unnecessary shower and sex scenes with her.

Jiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I knew it, David Cage just can't help but put gratuitous violence against women in his games. I'll bet $50 there are also unnecessary shower and sex scenes with her.

.. but violence against men (Jodie holmes mass murdering men in Beyond Two Souls) and shower scenes with naked men (for example Heavy Rain), is nothing worth discussing.
This whole David Cage thing is so tiring. He is exposing men just as he is "exposing" women... or maybe, what if he is just exposing the human being in his games?

Please give him a break.

Last edited:

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
.. but violence against men (Jodie holmes mass murdering men in Beyond Two Souls) and shower scenes with naked men (for example Heavy Rain), is nothing worth discussing. Sure!
This whole David Cage thing is so tiring. He is exposing men just as he is "exposing" women... or maybe, what if he is just exposing the human being in his games?

Give him a break.
People will use anything against him. Shower scenes and mundane activities are pretty much his trademark symbol akin to Tarantino's foot fetish for instance. It literally doesnt matter what gender your character is, he/she will probably get a shower scene at some point. These people always like to ignore that Omikron had a shower scene with just a dude, Fahrenheit hat 2 shower scenes with men and only 1 with a woman, HR had 1 for each with only the one for the woman being optional. The only game where its woman only is Beyond...because there is no other playable character than Jodie. If Jodie in Beyond was a man he would have the same amount of shower scenes without question

Jiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
People will use anything against him. Shower scenes and mundane activities are pretty much his trademark symbol akin to Tarantino's foot fetish for instance. It literally doesnt matter what gender your character is, he/she will probably get a shower scene at some point. These people always like to ignore that Omikron had a shower scene with just a dude, Fahrenheit hat 2 shower scenes with men and only 1 with a woman, HR had 1 for each with only the one for the woman being optional. The only game where its woman only is Beyond...because there is no other playable character than Jodie. If Jodie in Beyond was a man he would have the same amount of shower scenes without question

w8i6ho2.gif

Tintin

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoyed heavy rain and beyond two souls. This looks like it's going to be better than both which is amazing.

xs2kys

Oct 29, 2017
initially i was not sold on this game but now i wish to play it very soon, it seems like a visual adventure game so i preordered it and will have fun

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man....that was heavy and incredibly compelling for a trailer. This game just shot up my radar. I've liked previous entries from this studio but wow.....amazing.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I'm out. It was a well made trailer, but that content made me feel ill.

With that scenario there be only one path for me. Fastest path with that guy gone.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I dont know why but after heavy rain and beyond, i will buy anything done by david cage.

Me and my wife love the way he presents his stories.

Trailer got my hyped.

Jiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I dont know why but after heavy rain and beyond, i will buy anything done by david cage.

Me and my wife love the way he presents his stories.

Trailer got my hyped.

Yes yes! Games like Heavy Rain, Beyond, Until Dawn etc are so fun to play together with your beloved one!

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So edgy. You're so cool for ignoring games journalists and reviews. Definitely no buyer's remorse when you only rely on your opinion of a game ;)
Eh while his snark wasnt necessary, its definitely true that these days you can form your opinion pretty well just by looking at some gameplay and streams at release. It hasnt really failed me so far when putting past experiences with the genre/studio into consideration on top of it. Game journalist or not, their hottakes when not having played the game are not any more special than of every other person commentating and not really worthy of being cited as some kind of verdict on how a game will be. If anything that was edgy of you to do to strengthen your already set in stone opinion ;)

adit

Oct 29, 2017
tonja
it's good and all untill the last scene

goddamn that's pretty big spoiler :(, i wish i experience that in the game not in the trailer

oh well, i only have myself to blame, never ever watch the trailer for story heavy game

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
it's good and all untill the last scene

goddamn that's pretty big spoiler :(, i wish i experience that in the game not in the trailer

oh well, i only have myself to blame, never ever watch the trailer for story heavy game
If its any condolence, this is super early on in the game. In a few months you have probably forgot enough details already that the wildly different options will ensure you have a fresh experience tailored to you

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
David Cage is equal opportunity with shower scenes. If it has a pulse, it's probably going to be in a shower at some point. Are the androids water proof?

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't get this "trust" shit (hear this A LOT especially with Waypoint sorts).

If it's done terribly, then it's terrible. Same with South Park - which was poo-poo'd by Waypoint as well - because it wasn't "trusted".

Just cause an attempt falls flat it doesn't mean they're bad people or whatever they are trying to imply with this notion of 'trust'.

It's not like the only things allowed in this world are things to be approved by certain people. Dunno, seems rather elitist to me.

Yeah totally.

Not gonna defend it if it's bad (imo, I am probably the worst person/gamer for the nitpicky stuff - e.g. I was fine with Unity and while there were bugs/gltiches, it was hardly anything for me to cry on the internet about. I get that some people were annoyed and that's fine) or whatever. It's all rather subjective anyway.

Ignoring the factionalising of groups in to "waypointers" ....

David Cage has an almost cartoonish understanding of writing drama. He tries to do shades of grey but he often commits to tropes and is looks things in a very black and white way. He thinks he understands subtlety but he's very heavy handed.

When i saw the latest trailer firstly i was laughing at the Father because how hard he was written to look like a horrible person. It's like over writing a character and feels like Cage is waving huge red flags and shouting "THIS MAN IS BAD."

It stopped being funny when the child abuse thing was going on because no matter how it's written child abuse is always horrible.

Basically I think Cage relies on heavy subject matter to add gravity to his bad writing. Additionally the trailer seemed to be showing the storyline for the fail state of that scenario. Remember that kids getting beaten with a belt happens every day and boiling that down to a fail state can look like you're trivialising it.

That's why I don't think Cage should be doing it, he's heavy handed in his approaches, isn't a good writer, and relies on taboo subjects to pass his work off as ground breaking.

gela94

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oh wow that looks pretty hype. I really hope this game doesn't end up like Beyond, but something less shallow.