• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Vergil is pretty easy, whatever action you are doing you can press O to cancel out of it. Its enemy step for newbies essentially once you can do whenever.

Of course there is far more advance stuff to Vergil as well. He has distortion as well as perfect Judgment Cuts. You can go buck wild with him in 4.
He's definitely easier than Dante, although my main problem so far is dodging since the Concentration Meter discourages running and he doesn't have any sort of dash. I kind of end up panicking and just hope I can time my Trick Up right...

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
If this arm breaking stuff gets in the way of my crazy combos for the sake of this 'realism' angle they're going for, we're going to have to have some words Itsuno.
This is so far the only thing that's making me raise an eyebrow for the game.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully Nico sells something that makes them more durable then, but I'll take this over having them get destroyed because I used a certain Devil Breaker (looking at you, rocket punch skateboard) a tad bit too much than they want me to.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
They already confirmed that it's something that gets broken upon getting attacked and not over-usage, didn't they?
I still don't like this all. Not sure about you guys but it's a tall order not to get hit in these fast paced action games. As much as I love to replay DMC and Bayonetta style games, I've never been one to master enemy patterns so completely that I can breeze through every battle unscathed.

I wish there were a different balancing mechanism for Nero's arms, like ability cooldown or passive charging that could be reduced/sped up by avoiding damage. You can incentivize skillful play without penalizing players who stall out on the learning curve.

There's something to be said for training players to be daring, not risk averse. Bayonetta does this with Witch Time and a magic meter that builds as you inflict damage and narrowly avoid enemy attacks. The best way to succeed is to get right up in the enemy's face and count on your reflexes. And if you get hit, well, you still have a chance to build up that meter again and use it to turn the tables.

If getting hit in DMC5 means Nero gets stripped of some of his coolest tools, I'll get frustrated for sure.

Last edited:

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
You know, I am overboard with the breakable weapons.
It will make the game less repeatable by nature for some players who use only a specific variety of weapons.

Playsage

Oct 25, 2017
"realism", huh?

It's a deliberate game design choice that was then justified with the game's narrative

Though, I am more surprised the breaker doesn't work like Streets of Rage's special attacks: spend the special bar to use it safely, or spend health/durability to overuse it

Nov 21, 2017
Too much fussing over nothing, if anything I'd rather they have it unlocked by being consistently SSS than having it until it gets used or you get hit though.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the breaker is more about OP special attack that you use for finisher or AoE, so its fine if its breakable.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I'm gonna assume that what we'll lose upon breaking a Devil Breaker are the specific special attacks such as the laser circus, electric palm strike, homing rocket, and so on.

I'm curious, though... Would there be an indication of how long before an arm breaks? Because we're going to be forced to use a different arm and being able to switch to another or prepare for the automatic switch is really important for maintaining certain combos and whatnot.
I still don't like this all. Not sure about you guys but it's a tall order not to get hit in these fast paced action games. As much as I love to replay DMC and Bayonetta style games, I've never been one to master enemy patterns so completely that I can breeze through every battle unscathed.

I wish there were a different balancing mechanism for Nero's arms, like ability cooldown or passive charging that could be reduced/sped up by avoiding damage. You can incentivize skillful play without penalizing players who stall out on the learning curve.

There's something to be said for training players to be daring, not risk averse. Bayonetta does this with Witch Time and a magic meter that builds as you inflict damage and narrowly avoid enemy attacks. The best way to succeed is to get right up in the enemy's face and count on your reflexes. And if you get hit, well, you still have a chance to build up that meter again and use it to turn the tables.

If getting hit in DMC5 means Nero gets stripped of some of his coolest tools, I'll get frustrated for sure.
I don't think it's such a tall order when the franchise's gameplay centers around creative fighting and not getting hit... Not that I disagree with the alternatives you proposed. Those sound much better. There are much better ways to punish players than taking away an ability. Hell, I don't think I know of any game that does that something like that.

Kishido

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I bet we will learn more at Gamescom

PS
I hope the HD Collection will go on PSN sale soon... I want some Ifrit fun but no way I will buy the game full price again (Did it on PS3 already)

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Except Bayonetta does punish you for getting hit and rewards good play.

Getting hit reduces your magic gauge pretty quickly. So if you are getting hit a lot then you won't be using much special moves or torture attacks. And usually games give out health when someone plays poorly but Bayonetta does the opposite of that. Enemies are a lot more likely to drop health if you are playing well.

They told us that you start out with the cartridges in DMC5 and they are available as pick ups in levels and you can buy them from Nico. What's interesting about the mechanic is that it encourages good play which rewards you in combat. It's not about just getting rank or whatever but you can make various encounters and bosses easier for yourself if you play well. That is a great incentive even for a new player since they can make life easier for themselves at the end of a level if they try harder in the beginning. It's a real worthwhile reason to play well, especially for people who don't care about rank.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whew. That doesn't sound like "without too much effort." Don't know if I'll ever be able to play like that but I'm definitely gonna try. Didn't know about cancelling with Drive, though? Gonna look that up...

Its not that hard. All you need to do is getting Swords into enemies (and that one sword attack is very good, where about 10 around him line up and shoot straight simultanously, its a Blitz killer) and then go DT and spam that forward+Triangle move (rapid slash?). That will eliminate any crowd.

Concentration builds fast if you stand still for a moment and do some evades. With full concentration, DT and Triangle+O you'll do Judgment Cut End which is insanely powerful and clears the screen.

As for cancelling, put a sword into an enemy and tap Triangle+O constantly with Force Edge, not too fast, but when the animation hits them. You can stunlock groups to death with this. Also works with Beowulf Kick 13.

With O you can cancel any move or animation. Use that to get out of a combo if you think you'll get hit. I think that with spamming O in general, enemies can't hit you at all.

There is also a just frame Judgment cut which can be performed by holding triangle after any attack and then release it just before the flash happens. Getting the hang of this will also rack up serious damage.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's always been super easy modes accessible in DMC. I'm sure there will be something like that for people who don't want to deal with learning the games intricacies and just want to have fun.

I don't understand why people are fussing.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Its not that hard. All you need to do is getting Swords into enemies (and that one sword attack is very good, where about 10 around him line up and shoot straight simultanously, its a Blitz killer) and then go DT and spam that forward+Triangle move (rapid slash?). That will eliminate any crowd.

Concentration builds fast if you stand still for a moment and do some evades. With full concentration, DT and Triangle+O you'll do Judgment Cut End which is insanely powerful and clears the screen.

As for cancelling, put a sword into an enemy and tap Triangle+O constantly with Force Edge, not too fast, but when the animation hits them. You can stunlock groups to death with this. Also works with Beowulf Kick 13.

With O you can cancel any move or animation. Use that to get out of a combo if you think you'll get hit. I think that with spamming O in general, enemies can't hit you at all.

There is also a just frame Judgment cut which can be performed by holding triangle after any attack and then release it just before the flash happens. Getting the hang of this will also rack up serious damage.
Oh. Huh. That actually doesn't sound like something I couldn't eventually do. Thanks! If only DMC4SE had a Training Mode like DmC did... I hope DMC5 comes with one. Would help big time.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I'd like Dante Must Style back too.
Definitely! I never got to try that out since I didn't get DmC:DE but it's such a great idea. I hope we also get an improved version of DmC's style points description thing, and with the option to turn it off as well. It would go a long way in helping newer players understand how to get higher ranks and whatnot.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Yeah but taking away options from newcomers that are bound to get hit several times at the start doesn't sound right to me

we can only wait for Gamescom demo to see how all this will work, I guess

Almost like the game is providing incentive to the player to learn enemy and boss attack patterns and get better right?

Devil May Cry is in actuality not that fast paced of an action game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMTElR5jqGk&t=17s

It's bit heavier and more deliberate than most other cruh-zay action games that were inspired from DMC3.

Also, there could be modes available on easy mode that let you disable certain things like Devil Breaker damage and such. I think you'll be fine. DMC gives you so many options, you can remove half of them and still have plenty of options to work with.

Last edited:

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
Rewatching the trailer.
Notice that Nero's necklace isn't the one he gave Kyrie in dmc4, but both necklaces have a similarity (wing motif).
eFa0isR.png

Monster designs from the trailer.

Angelic demon
zycvobp.jpg

Big dude
vpiIBAJ.jpg

A guy with Meat cleavers
CI7RUlC.jpg

Some weird squid
b3Rw4Ss.jpg

Tree(?)
WwYeOhe.jpg

Pride
rVPiTiu.jpg

Lizard
0ZmfWYh.jpg

Fly
Y1cAPR8.jpg

Bat
Md7Oqnn.jpg

Just That Simple

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
There's always been super easy modes accessible in DMC. I'm sure there will be something like that for people who don't want to deal with learning the games intricacies and just want to have fun.

I don't understand why people are fussing.
I won't be surprised if Easy Automatic disables cartridges breaking, or at least makes them break less frequently.

Super Nero will definitely get unlimited cartridges.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
I have a question and can't make threads yet.

How is the PS4 Devil May Cry collection? I already have the PS3 one, is it worth it to upgrade? (I've only played a little of it on PS3)

If you have the PS3 collection, there is no reason to get the PS4 collection.

New things are trophies, dualshock 4 controller support, and 1080p resolution. But you should be fine with the Ps3 collection. It is a port of that anyway.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
If you have the PS3 collection, there is no reason to get the PS4 collection.

New things are trophies, dualshock 4 controller support, and 1080p resolution. But you should be fine with the Ps3 collection. It is a port of that anyway.
Why the hell aren't the PS3 ones 1080p? :( But I'll probably just stick with the PS3 one, thank you :)

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They really are bringing in stuff from every game in the series. Reimagined Hell Prides, Blades and Agonofinis. I love it.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Rewatching the trailer.
Notice that Nero's necklace isn't the one he gave Kyrie in dmc4, but both necklaces have a similarity (wing motif).
eFa0isR.png

Monster designs from the trailer.

Angelic demon
zycvobp.jpg

Big dude
vpiIBAJ.jpg

A guy with Meat cleavers
CI7RUlC.jpg

Some weird squid
b3Rw4Ss.jpg

Tree(?)
WwYeOhe.jpg

Pride
rVPiTiu.jpg

Lizard
0ZmfWYh.jpg

Fly
Y1cAPR8.jpg

Bat
Md7Oqnn.jpg
Great post (and avatar!), thanks for this!

Really loving the monster designs so far, especially the boss and the Frost-looking thing. As for the necklace, I'd like to think that's a gift from Kyrie.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bit late to the party but LETS GET CUUURAYZAAY!

sgf3txw.gif

Honestly, I'm so chuffed with this reveal and I'm currently playing through DMC4 special edition to catch up on the lore. Let's go Itsuno! We believe in you.