• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
So, uh, about that "Sony Dev React" thing that is still going after 26 pages. From what I've gathered on this thread :

Kurt Margeneau (Naughty Dog) ---> Sony dev
Anthony Newman (Naughty Dog) --> Sony dev
James Cooper (no studio currently) --> Not Sony dev anymore
Andrew Maximov (Promethean AI) --> Not Sony dev anymore
Randy Pitchford (Gearbox) --> Not Sony dev
Matt Philips (Big Evil Corp) --> Not Sony dev
Mike Evans (ex AMD) --> Not Sony dev
Robert Boyd (Zeboyd Games) --> Not Sony dev
Andrea Pessino (Ready at Dawn) --> Not Sony dev
Dale North (composer) --> Not Sony dev
Olivier JT (VR audio) --> Not Sony dev
Jason Nuyens (Breakfall) --> Not Sony dev
Its what a useless driveby from the very first page.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
If I had one wish it would be that people realize these upcoming consoles are immensely powerful, that multi-platform games will be nearly identical, and that the games in general are going to be phenomenal. It makes me sad to see all this warring instead of outright excitement. Your favorite games in the next generation are going to be wild.

(and, yes, the PS5 looks to be an incredible machine)
that multi-platform games will be nearly identical

If multiplats are going to be near identical, then why did Sony bother customizing the SSD to such an extent?

Why not put all those resources into improving the rest of the hardware (GPU/CPU/RAM)?

Did they not have 3P developers in mind, rather than just their own 1P studios? WWS are the only ones I can see even using the SSD to its fullest potential.

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, uh, about that "Sony Dev React" thing that is still going after 26 pages. From what I've gathered on this thread :

Further diminishes that already silly argument.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018

Damn, Sony paying all these people outside of their studios?

/s

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
If multiplats are going to be near identical, then why did Sony bother customizing the SSD to such as extent?

Why not put all those resources into improving the rest of the hardware (GPU/CPU/RAM)?

Did they not have 3P developers in mind, rather than just their own 1P studios? WWS are the only ones I can see even using the SSD to its fullest potential.

Because the feel the SSD will give the best over all benefit not only for games but the whole system .
Like a extra 4GB of ram not going to have a huge effect when it come to 3rd party stuff or even a extra 1 TF.
Even if 3rd party don't used the SSD to the fullest they will still help with certain things .
Now we have to see if they right or wrong and also the price.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017

It's great to see developers being excited about PS5 and next gen in general.
Looking forward to the games speaking for themselves.

If multiplats are going to be near identical, then why did Sony bother customizing the SSD to such as extent?

Mutiplats are going to be near identical since the two consoles are almost identical numbers at hand.
They are based on the same architecture with the same efficiencies, the CPUs have meaningless differences (pretty much zero difference in multithreading), RAM capacity is the same, two pools with different speeds on Xbox, one single pool closer to the Xbox fastest one in PS5. Xbox has an edge in bandwidth only if they always stay into the 10GB pool otherwise datas will be bottlenecked by the lower speed pool.
GPU is 15-20% better on Xbox in floating point computations.
Don't really know what kind of differences people are expecting. This is a clearly smaller gap than the PS4 vs Xbox One difference and it's basically going to translate into a resolution difference that is perceptually irrelevant like 1800p vs 4k in ray traced games or same res with more stable frame rate on Xbox.
PS5 is going to have a significant edge in loading times and assets loading (high quality textures streaming, high LOD models and such) and in first party games designed around this (not to mention that Sony won't have to bother supporting old platforms with their PS5 games).
About your question on why they did this, I think that first of all we don't have the full picture and that means what kind of price they had in mind when they designed this system and we'll only find out when they announce the price.
What if it's 399$? That would put things in a whole different perspective, it would be almost miracle like that they got these specs at that price. We don't know though, the message is not complete and Sony has done a terrible work with the marketing.
Second Cerny explained his design philosophy pretty well: he believes that SSD is the game changer in this gen since it can change the way games are designed, he also put a lot of importance on audio with the tempest engine and a lot of importance in sensory feedback in the controller, so it's clear the system was designed taking into account much more than graphics alone. He also believes that certain performance figures don't tell the whole story or can be misleading.
Games will tell who's right.

Seriously I wouldn't even discuss about the specs, the only problem Sony has to fix right now is their marketing, show amazing games and sell the system at a competitive price.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
So OP is banned.
I think I will stay in my new AC island and take a break from here.
ERA members think this forum is a high value but in fact, it is just the least worst.

Stay safe

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

I'm not sold on all multiplatform titles being identical. Some series (FF comes to mind here, perhaps KH but don't quote me) sell WAY better on one platform than the other, despite being "multiplatform." If 75% of players are on the ps5, you design around the PS5.

Market share and audience are going to determine how much a studio takes advantage of the ps5 feature set. For something like Call of Duty or Madden i doubt we'll see much difference, but the Square Enix, Atlus, or Namco/Bandai stuff? I think it's likely.

The potential existence of Lockhart complicates things also. If the Xbox userbase gets split 50/50 between the two platforms, then you have a case where the overwhelming majority (50%) of even the playerbase of stuff like GTAVI is on the PS5, while 25% is on XSX and 25% is on Lockhart.

If the XsX is somehow cost prohibitive (over 499) and the Xbox base splits something like 60/40 in favor of Lockhart, that aggravates things further. Relatively few players will own an XsX.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

The truth doesn't matter when there's a war going on. Appreciate the effort, but most of those posters will just huddle in their respective competitor's OT to shit-talk and amplify the fake news concerning the PS5. Taking a peek in one of those threads tells you all you need to know.

This board has become nigh insufferable because of it.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The truth doesn't matter when there's a war going on. Appreciate the effort, but most of those posters will just huddle in their respective competitor's OT to shit-talk and amplify the fake news concerning the PS5. Taking a peek in one of those threads tells you all you need to know.

This board has become nigh insufferable because of it.
I fucking hope youre being self aware

Grayson

Banned
Aug 21, 2019
So despite the minor flops different it seems they're equivalent machines. Good deal.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If we're discouraged from discussing the claims of Tidux/Timdog/blu nugroho/etc., why would we give less scrutiny to claims from a random user comments section?

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Correct me if I'm wrong but multiplats will still need to be designed with HDDs in mind due to PC. We're gonna see those load times vanished on both consoles but all the full advantages of an SSD, that will cause a revolution in game design and one that these devs imply could be reserved for Sony's first party games only.

This might be one of the few times PC will actually be the bottleneck.

You're right (I have no idea why I included "and PC" in that last sentence). But I imagine we're going to see a lot more games stay exclusive to consoles this gen, since PC versions are already a total afterthought for some publishers, and sacrificing a lot of potential for the sake of one isn't a super attractive proposition. We may also see more PC versions of games straight up include SSDs in their system requirements.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Intel Graphics guy:

Liked by devs from these companies:

- Guerilla Games
- Electronic Arts
- Avalanche Studios
- Massive Entertainment
- Monolith Productions
- Ubisoft
- Unity
- Nixxes Software

tryDEATH

Banned
Jun 6, 2018
You're certainly working overtime. Maybe you should listen to the actual devs?

The 1st party developers/ceo that are working at Naughty Dog and Ready at Dawn mixed in with the odd Indie developer. Yeah their totally unbiased and professional they would be professional. Such a shame no one is coming out in defense for MS.

Depends on what you consider "real benefits", but just like XSeX will probably have advantage with framerate and/or resolution and/or maybe some effects (unless the game heavily pushes something like raytracing, in which case I could see some situations where XSeX games maybe have worse framerate but they look better, just like some PS4Pro games that push for high resolution can have worse framerate than some 900p base PS4/720p XBone version), PS5 might have advantage in other kinds of things that are fairly noticeable. Like, it's a fairly silly notion that just because a game can't be designed around the best option, there are no clear, "real" benefits when using said best option.

The only game (until next-gen consoles) that I know that is being exclusively developed with SSDs in mind is Star Citizen and that's not even a finished game, so there's not all that much in the form of actual games to utilize SSDs "to the maximum", so it's kinda silly to say that as if devs have even really started trying to maximise its potential. And there's a whole world of difference between there being a still relatively niche option on PCs that developers really can't design/develop games around because such a big portion of PC gamers don't have access to it (and this very much sounds like a large paradigm shift in how games are developed) vs. dedicated, uniform gaming devices that all have the same innards and as such devs can develop games 100% around its capabilities (& limitations). Well, within the limitation of budget/resources available.

because we know how TFs benefit a console but we don't know how SSD does maybe? Yes, it is changing the gaming world forever. It is something new.

Yes, Start Citizen the most demanding game in production ever, which won't come to console due to how demanding it is does just perfectly fine with a regular SSD it doesn't even need a NVME SDD so the notion that we are in need of something PS5 is putting in their box is insane.

It is nothing more than a overkill niche feature.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, Start Citizen the most demanding game in production ever, which won't come to console due to how demanding it is does just perfectly fine with a regular SSD it doesn't even need a NVME SDD so the notion that we are in need of something PS5 is putting in their box is insane.

It is nothing more than a overkill niche feature.

Star citizen won't come to these consoles because it probably wont be finished until the next console cycle
also, star citizen started development in a time where SSDs were not the basis for game development, especially not NVME SSDs. You don't get the whole "SSDs change how games can be developed" thing, do you?

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
This is a ridiculous notion. Nobody is going to design a multiplatform game where you're forced to move your character or the camera twice as slow on non-PS5 platforms.

Um yeah no kidding.
no one is suggesting they would make a game like that for platforms that dont support data streaming that fast. That was the point of the post, To show what the new hardware can do. That poster from the verge is ignoring that aspect of data streaming and instead just thinking of normal load screens.

sure most developers wont use the data streaming to its max, but they won't use any of the hardware to its max if they are making a cross platform game that uses the lowest common denominator hardware, like also developing for XB1 or PS4 as well. But if thats your thinking then why bother talking about new hardware possibilities at all?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sold on all multiplatform titles being identical. Some series (FF comes to mind here, perhaps KH but don't quote me) sell WAY better on one platform than the other, despite being "multiplatform." If 75% of players are on the ps5, you design around the PS5.

Market share and audience are going to determine how much a studio takes advantage of the ps5 feature set. For something like Call of Duty or Madden i doubt we'll see much difference, but the Square Enix, Atlus, or Namco/Bandai stuff? I think it's likely.

The potential existence of Lockhart complicates things also. If the Xbox userbase gets split 50/50 between the two platforms, then you have a case where the overwhelming majority (50%) of even the playerbase of stuff like GTAVI is on the PS5, while 25% is on XSX and 25% is on Lockhart.

If the XsX is somehow cost prohibitive (over 499) and the Xbox base splits something like 60/40 in favor of Lockhart, that aggravates things further. Relatively few players will own an XsX.

Sales base really doesn't determine hardware focus. It will always be lowest-common-denominator. Third parties aren't going to design their multiplatform games around the PS5's specs because they'd have to completely redo the XSX/PC versions around their hardware's common limitations.

The only games that will see true, MAJOR boosts will be first party games.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Sales base really doesn't determine hardware focus. It will always be lowest-common-denominator. Third parties aren't going to design their multiplatform games around the PS5's specs because they'd have to completely redo the XSX/PC versions around their hardware's common limitations.

I don't think this is entirely true. Some companies will absolutely focus on certain platforms. Just look at the RE3 demo:

OUhMaOo.png

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

Yea where all those xbone versions from devs that just go PS4/switch or PS4/switch/PC

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
So OP is banned.
ERA members think this forum is a high value but in fact, it is just the least worst.

Stay safe
Why is OP banned?

I have to say, the quality of threads and posts has plummeted here since that PS5 stream, has it always been like this in the speculation threads? (I've avoided stepping foot in them)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is entirely true. Some companies will absolutely focus on certain platforms. Just look at the RE3 demo:

OUhMaOo.png

That's not what I mean, though. What's been stated by a lot of the hardware folks in these threads is that the PS5's "secret sauce" will alter GAME DESIGN for things - removing "load moments" in gameplay and things like that. The PS5's speed will simply let it do things in game design that the other machines won't be able to do.

You are not going to see third parties do stuff like that for multiplatform games because it would essentially mean developing two bespoke versions of every game - one that works with the PS5's hardware and one that works with the more limited drive specs on the other two platforms.

It's just not realistic. I'm not talking about performance differences, I'm talking about differences in game flow, world design, world size, and asset detail that won't be able to just "ratcheted down".

tryDEATH

Banned
Jun 6, 2018
Star citizen won't come to these consoles because it probably wont be finished until the next console cycle
also, star citizen started development in a time where SSDs were not the basis for game development, especially not NVME SSDs. You don't get the whole "SSDs change how games can be developed" thing, do you?

I just refuse to be conned into believing into the absurd hype PS is trying to make out for their particular SSD when current gen ones are advanced enough for the next 4 to 5 years, by which time we will get mid gen refreshes. That SSD is primarily built for open world games that need a load of data to be loaded in quickly, its effect are significantly diminished in games such as Arena FPS's, Racing, Fighting, Sport, and Action which represent 60%+ of all games made.

Where as the TF and Ray Tracing ability in the XSX will be effective in every single game no matter type.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
It's just not realistic. I'm not talking about performance differences, I'm talking about differences in game flow, world design, world size, and asset detail that won't be able to just "ratcheted down".

Assets detail very possible since you see that in certain way already .
You correct with everything else.

I just refuse to be conned into believing into the absurd hype PS is trying to make out for their particular SSD when current gen ones are advanced enough for the next 4 to 5 years, by which time we will get mid gen refreshes. That SSD is primarily built for open world games that need a load of data to be loaded in quickly, its effect are significantly diminished in games such as Arena FPS's, Racing, Fighting, Sport, and Action which represent 60%+ of all games made.

Where as the TF and Ray Tracing ability in the XSX will be effective in every single game no matter type.

Why would it have less effect on racing games.
In fact it will be a big boom to them since it will be easier tell how the data flow will be in certain ways.
Also what are you calling action game to say it won't help ?
Also the SSD is not primarily built for open world games but to help the ram since a lot of games not even open world load data in and out the ram all the time.

Last edited:

Deleted member 61469

Banned
Nov 17, 2019

OUhMaOo.png

Is that RE3? The fact that you had to cherrypick a demo that was released today says it all really. Maybe wait till the final game before making judgements like that.

Edit: here is the same developer refuting your point

www.eurogamer.net

Resident Evil 2 remake plays best on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X

Among the best remakes in recent memory, Resident Evil 2 is a true survival horror classic, rebuilt on Capcom's cutting…

tryDEATH

Banned
Jun 6, 2018
Assets detail very possible since you see that in certain way already .
You correct with everything else.

Why would it have less effect on racing games.
In fact it will be a big boom to them since it will be easier tell how the data flow will be in certain ways.
Also what are you calling action game to say it won't help ?
Also the SSD is not primarily built for open world games but to help the ram since a lot of games not even open world load data in and out the ram all the time.

Racing(Racing games will also benefit from XSX VRS) just like Multiplayer FPS games are maps/tracks and only require a predetermined lump of data that can be loaded once, the whole point of faster SSD's and why it is such a advantage for open world games is that it can keep loading huge lumps of new data as you are exploring the world and it continuously does that. Corridor shooter like Resident Evil you aren't in a vast open area where huge draw distances play a big role. We aren't going to some how turn all our games into open world games people are already getting tired of them.

The XSX NVME is going to be advanced enough for the next 4 to 5 years PS5 is unnecessary overkill and is getting diminishing returns.

PS could have easily show cased their superiority by put a NVME of the speed that XSX and compared it to its own like they did with the Spider-Man demo, but it would have looked extremely under whelming as the XSX NVME would have just load a couple second slower.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They might be Sony devs as well given they are saying good things about PS5, they're probably being paid sony bucks to shill by Jimbo himself. Arrogant sony back at full force, Cerny probably didn't focus enough on ps5 and instead focusing more on Knack 3 baybee

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Racing(Racing games will also benefit from XSX VRS) just like Multiplayer FPS games are maps/tracks and only require a predetermined lump of data that can be loaded once, the whole point of faster SSD's and why it is such a advantage for open world games is that it can keep loading huge lumps of new data as you are exploring the world and it continuously does that. Corridor shooter like Resident Evil you aren't in a vast open area where huge draw distances play a big role. We aren't going to some how turn all our games into open world games people are already getting tired of them.

The XSX NVME is going to be advanced enough for the next 4 to 5 years PS5 is unnecessary overkill and is getting diminishing returns.

PS could have easily show cased their superiority by put a NVME of the speed that XSX and compared it to its own like they did with the Spider-Man demo, but it would have looked extremely under whelming as the XSX NVME would have just load a couple second slower.

You are wrong those games load data in and out ram all the time .
A games does not have to be open world to do that .
Do you really think they load the whole track into the ram at the highest detail at once ?

The OP has perfect eg of this
https://twitter.com/_ArtIsAVerb/status/1240390141232939012 and neither of those games are open world .
Also PS5 has VRS it's part of the RDNA 2 spec .

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

I don't know where this notion that SSDs will only make a big difference in open world games has come from. You bringing up racing games as an example of something where SSDs won't make much difference is so stupid, they're an incredibly obvious example of where an SSD would be beneficial: a very large region which you can move through very quickly. SSDs will facilitate racing games having much more detailed environments because they won't have to load such a large geographic region at the same time. It should be obvious that open world games aren't the only major beneficiaries when you consider that some of the classic examples of "edge through tight space" or "do simple puzzle in enclosed area) are in linear games (Uncharted and The Last of Us for example).

dunning-kruger-knowledge-confidence-social-1200x628.png

tryDEATH

Banned
Jun 6, 2018
You are wrong those games load data in and out ram all the time .
A games does not have to be open world to do that .
Do you really think they load the whole track into the ram at the highest detail at once ?

The OP has perfect eg of this
https://twitter.com/_ArtIsAVerb/status/1240390141232939012 and neither of those games are open world .
Also PS5 has VRS it's part of the RDNA 2 spec .

The game doesn't have to be Open World, but this is where it has the biggest advantage as the large high res textures/geometry/details need to be loaded in a continuously based on your characters POV as was showcased by a Guerrilla Games dev. In other scenarios it is getting diminishing returns compared to the XSX SSD in other words it has less advantage and since we are talking about seconds here it will be negligible.

Also Cerny never touched up on or uttered the words Variable Rate Shaders/VRS or Machine Learning, which was highlighted by DF. The best guess is, it has something to do with the CU's as full RDNA 2 requires a certain amount of them which XSX has 44% more of.

I don't know where this notion that SSDs will only make a big difference in open world games has come from. You bringing up racing games as an example of something where SSDs won't make much difference is so stupid, they're an incredibly obvious example of where an SSD would be beneficial: a very large region which you can move through very quickly. SSDs will facilitate racing games having much more detailed environments because they won't have to load such a large geographic region at the same time. It should be obvious that open world games aren't the only major beneficiaries when you consider that some of the classic examples of "edge through tight space" or "do simple puzzle in enclosed area) are in linear games (Uncharted and The Last of Us for example).

Putting words into my mouth makes you look silly not me.

I never said SSD's are going to make a huge difference on the contrary they will, I simply highlighted that the difference between the XSX's SSD and the PS5 SSD isn't going to make a huge different and that in those scenarios the PS5 SSD is getting diminish returns on their investment. Please read before being ignorant and accusing others mockingly.

pestul

Oct 25, 2017
Is the faster SSD vs the still really fast SSD on XSX going to make that much of a difference? I'm just wondering. I suppose for those games that are designed around it. I'm not a huge fan of Linus Tech Tips, but he did a vid recently comparing barebones SSDs to the fastest NVMe drives and no one in his office got it right in guessing (video editing/gaming).

www.youtube.com

Does a Faster SSD Matter for Gamers?? - $h!t Manufacturers Say

Find a Micro Center near you: https://rebrand.ly/s9j16ctMaingear Vector Laptop: https://rebrand.ly/353vpgsMaingear Vector Laptop (Amazon): https://rebrand.ly...

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is OP banned?

I have to say, the quality of threads and posts has plummeted here since that PS5 stream, has it always been like this in the speculation threads? (I've avoided stepping foot in them)
The answer to your question... not going to comment on it but yeah.....and it was more controlled in the speculation thread. Now its console war galore and no one is doing anything about it......

Don't know why it is allowed but whatever. Agree with Thera take.

Is the faster SSD vs the still really fast SSD on XSX going to make that much of a difference? I'm just wondering. I suppose for those games that are designed around it. I'm not a huge fan of Linus Tech Tips, but he did a vid recently comparing barebones SSDs to the fastest NVMe drives and no one in his office got it right in guessing (video editing/gaming).

www.youtube.com

Does a Faster SSD Matter for Gamers?? - $h!t Manufacturers Say

Find a Micro Center near you: https://rebrand.ly/s9j16ctMaingear Vector Laptop: https://rebrand.ly/353vpgsMaingear Vector Laptop (Amazon): https://rebrand.ly...
You are taking that video out of context. It's not a plug and play situation and testing it. You need to actually build the software(OS/Programs etc) for that kind of speed. Think of it like this, yes another stupid analogy ;P............ Lets not haha. Software needs to be created to take that kind of advantage. Than again not every program needs that kind of speed.

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Honestly perusing PS5 threads in the last two days has been exhausting between the desire to engage with people spreading fallacious information and then feeling utterly dejected by the volume and frequency of it. Feels like a toxic minefield of FUD.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
So OP is banned.

Stay safe
Gaming comunities are nothing more than literal manchildren fanboy kindergardens. Every single one of them.

New consoles' reveals and launches are usually what show everyone's true colors.

Whoever tries to act as they have no bias or agenda is just pretending.

This is not even being jaded. It's just plain reality.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly perusing PS5 threads in the last two days has been exhausting between the desire to engage with people spreading fallacious information and then feeling utterly dejected by the volume and frequency of it. Feels like a toxic minefield of FUD.
Yep....... You can't have any actual discussion...
Gaming comunities are nothing more than literal manchildren fanboy kindergardens. Every single one of them.

New consoles' reveals and launches are usually what show everyone's true colors.

Yep....

So perhaps i missed it but whats up with the logo??? something special? Or just showing the sadness of how console warring era is becoming....

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

To be honest the thread should have been set up as a positive, what devs who will work with the PS5 want to do with the console thread. Most of this boring xbox to and thro argument could have been avoided. It's just the same arguments from every other thread being repeated.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France

Oh I know.
But this gaming community pretend and, yes, when console launch, the devil go out of his box.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017