• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Interesting.... Are gamers finally fighting back?

*Checks genshin impact's metacritic*

"4.9"

Hmmm 🤔

Genshin is great as a game and not pushy with monetization. Dunno why its relevant to the topic.

edit: wait thats the userscore? i just re-read the comment (thought it was mobile reviews) - doesnt make much sense to me

CasualMaso

Banned
May 12, 2022
Space
yeah..

they should study the game market again, and not produce so many poor-quality products for the final consumer, it is important to remember that a game is not made with the minority, but with the great community... but I liked the game, having a port to the PC should make the community more united. regarding pay to win, it was the means to monetize the product and of course it will not please everyone, but it is important to remember that the product was given for free and was not a paid product.
I see it more as a way to study the game market.

This is a good comment. Well done Sir.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The game is unabashedly predatory in its design - well beyond the point of needing regulation. It's not legal to release in at least two countries, and I whole heatedly believe it should be regulated similarly across all gaming marketplaces. This scummy shit shouldn't be legal.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
3.7 with 528k user reviews on the north american google play store.
4.5 with 77k user ratings stars on north american app store.

MC review bombing always represented the smallest, angriest cohort of people with too much time on their hands and no productive outlet for their grievances. Devs don't look at the user score, they look at actual, written feedback and analyze the metrics from active users. Y'know, actionable data. It's not the effective protest despite the insisted-upon narrative of 'gamer voices.'

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
4.5 stars iOS USA 77K reviews. I don't like it but seems like a lot of others do.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Compared to the Android/iOS store this just shows how far the divide between "acceptance" for this type of game is between mobile user and PC users.

The only divide here is that, unlike Metacritic, Apple and Google are gonna make a truckload of money from this game and as such have a more vested interest to remove negative reviews of any kind.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's about the same as other loot-focused mobile games. And much more heavily monetized than character focused, PvE-centric games like Genshin.
Genshin is predatory, just like Immortal. They're handling the monetization differently, but both games want your money and they use psychological levers for that. No one can defend Genshin while shitting on Immortal, it doesn't make sense at all.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I couldnt disagree more. Yeah the game is not a 0.2 but people that see that review are gonna know that it has to have some big issues. Which it does. Which actual reviewers often dont mention, or do but still give a good score, probably because they would want to still get review copies in the future. The review industry is clearly flawed anyway since publishers have no obligation to gove you a review copy and if you want to keep your business you're kinda forced to be in somewhat good terms with the big publishers.

The thing is though, this game doesn't have any BIG issues and it's a silly score for people to look at and judge something for when it's not being done fairly. It's a free mobile game. It does what every free mobile game does. And has its limitations due to being a free mobile game.

It's not meant to be Diablo 3. It's not meant to be Diablo 4. And it's not made for the people who want a standard Diablo experience. And for who it's made for, what devices it's made for, and the ecosystem it's being released in. There's nothing wrong with it. It's doing nothing different than ANY mobile game like it. It's dumb to review bomb it and if it's being review bombed for the reasons it's being bombed for, then you'd see that with literally every single mobile game, and you don't see that.

It all comes back to user scores are a mistake. It's all done emotionally, and not fairly. And it just takes a loud community to just spam reviews to push it one way or another based on what they want it to be.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
This game feels like they studied the mobile market p well. I feel like the Blizzard fanbase discovered through this game how mobile games can be monetized and thinks Blizzard invented this all (not saying its good btw, but it's amusing to witness).

I feel like DI is just showing a lot of people that wouldn't normally be engaged with a mobile game just how predatory the monetization strategies are. Beyond even just loot boxes. Hell, just having loot boxes would be a step up from what it is. They adopted everyone's favorite trend of having 50 million different currencies, allowing them to fragment off everything and make it so your premium currency can't be earned. I managed to hit paragon 11 without spending anything but once you hit that point, it's offensive.

The game definitely does have a skill cap so if you're good enough, you can hit leaderboards without having to buy stuff, and the sort of people that would spend thousands to get better rift runs are the sort of players who aren't good enough to top leaderboards, but none of that is an excuse for how vile the monetization in these newer ARPGs are.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I wouldn't say it's a non-story, since it'll only broaden the negative buzz around Immortal, but it's certainly worth very very little.
Metacritic user reviews have done 0 to change the course of any game's direction. See NBA 2k18 through 2k22 for an example. Users kill it for its mtx integration, but it still sells gangbusters with deeper mtx elements.

ForestL

Feb 12, 2018
Has anyone here used the metacritic user score as the deciding factor over buying a game?

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
The only divide here is that, unlike Metacritic, Apple and Google are gonna make a truckload of money from this game and as such have a more vested interest to remove negative reviews of any kind.
Sorting reviews by 'most helpful' on the app store surfaces a lot of 1 and 2 star reviews. Is this just conspiratorial nonsense or is there evidence that storefronts are quelling negative reviews from players?

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
The thing is though, this game doesn't have any BIG issues and it's a silly score for people to look at and judge something for when it's not being done fairly. It's a free mobile game. It does what every free mobile game does. And has its limitations due to being a free mobile game.

It's not meant to be Diablo 3. It's not meant to be Diablo 4. And it's not made for the people who want a standard Diablo experience. And for who it's made for, what devices it's made for, and the ecosystem it's being released in. There's nothing wrong with it. It's doing nothing different than ANY mobile game like it. It's dumb to review bomb it and if it's being review bombed for the reasons it's being bombed for, then you'd see that with literally every single mobile game, and you don't see that.

It all comes back to user scores are a mistake. It's all done emotionally, and not fairly. And it just takes a loud community to just spam reviews to push it one way or another based on what they want it to be.
It's on PC. They knew this would happen. They did it anyways cause of money. Deal with it. I have no sympathy for the lying scum that is blizzard. The 'you guys dont have phones' guy made a forum post crying that it was simply not true that you coukd buy armor in diablo immortal. Who cares? That was never the point. The point is that you can power up with money, lots of money. It doesnt matter if its armor or upgrades or anything else. And he knows it. And blizzard knows it. I dont blame him per se. He says what he has to say.

I also couldnt care less about what is or isnt ondustry standard. If i think something is bad, it doesnt become good just cause everyone does it.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
And thanks to review bombing, it shows how useless and out of touch user reviews on Metacritic are nowadays.

Yeahhhh, I don't really read reviews but it feels like every month something is the lowest downvoted on YouTube, Metacritic has the new lowest score, most downvotes on Reddit, etc... etc... all over some big triple A game or movie that obviously isn't true. Of the crap ton of shovel ware out there, big things like this that do bring enjoyment to people is just stupid when you look at a score like this.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
The signals from this game are all over the place, user score getting bombed, "too good to be free", what is up with this?

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
Metacritic user reviews have done 0 to change the course of any game's direction. See NBA 2k18 through 2k22 for an example. Users kill it for its mtx integration, but it still sells gangbusters with deeper mtx elements.
I'd say the NBA 2K games are played by a lot of casual gamers who probably aren't overly concerned about that kind of thing compared to the enthusiast Diablo audience who are pissed that Blizzard has attached this kind of garbage to their beloved series.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

Mobile game design is inherently an issue, and there's everything wrong with it. Using people's psychology to exploit money from the vulnerable is despicable to the point of necessitating legislation and regulation.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say the NBA 2K games are played by a lot of casual gamers who probably aren't overly concerned about that kind of thing compared to the enthusiast Diablo audience who are pissed that Blizzard has attached this kind of garbage to their beloved series.
Diablo 3 sold 30 million games. The same casual crowd you see on NBA2K probably knows about Diablo.

Yeahhhh, I don't really read reviews but it feels like every month something is the lowest downvoted on YouTube, Metacritic has the new lowest score, most downvotes on Reddit, etc... etc... all over some big triple A game or movie that obviously isn't true. Of the crap ton of shovel ware out there, big things like this that do bring enjoyment to people is just stupid when you look at a score like this.
Yeah, i'd probably be more receptive to 4/10 reviews, stating what's good and what's wrong, rather than 0/10 reviews acting like this game is literally dog shit.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Not even 2000 user reviews.

TLOU2 review bombing was on a whole different scale. Over 150 000 reviews.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
When games get review bombed for stuff like having diversity, that's shitty but for stuff like this, it's great.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Mobile game design is inherently an issue, and there's everything wrong with it. Using people's psychology to exploit money from the vulnerable is despicable to the point of necessitating legislation and regulation.

You ignore the point tho. Diablo is doing nothing different from any mobile game and you don't see an angry loud fan base review bombing every mobile game. It's just one particular group of people review bombing because this game isn't the type of game they want, which isn't a good way to determine if the game is actually good or bad(it's certainly NOT a bad game)

What this game is being singled out for(which again, is ridiculous considering this model has been on the mobile market for a long time and isn't even remotely new or original) is something that is so much much bigger than video games and review bombing one game isn't going to change the entire world and if people want things to change, you have to do a hell of a lot more than shitty user reviews that literally don't matter at all(as someone pointed out earlier how the NBA games get user review bombed and still sell gang busters)

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
You ignore the point tho. Diablo is doing nothing different from any mobile game and you don't see an angry loud fan base review bombing every mobile game. It's just one particular group of people review bombing because this game isn't the type of game they want, which isn't a good way to determine if the game is actually good or bad(it's certainly NOT a bad game)

What this game is being singled out for(which again, is ridiculous considering this model has been on the mobile market for a long time and isn't even remotely new or original) is something that is so much much bigger than video games and review bombing one game isn't going to change the entire world and if people want things to change, you have to do a hell of a lot more than shitty user reviews that literally don't matter at all(as someone pointed out earlier how the NBA games get user review bombed and still sell gang busters)
It's not ridiculous at all that Diablo Immortal is being singled out. Fans have higher expectations from a Diablo game. Let's see if negative word of mouth matters.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Genshin is predatory, just like Immortal. They're handling the monetization differently, but both games want your money and they use psychological levers for that. No one can defend Genshin while shitting on Immortal, it doesn't make sense at all.
For what it's worth, I have no problem with either game's monetization. But gacha games like Genshin where you're collecting specific characters you like are entirely different from games where every single pull or mtx is about making your character stronger. Especially if it's a game with a PvP focus like Diablo.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England

It sure has some impeccable design

Wow, that's truly disgusting when you think about the kind of dev conversations and discussions that will have gone into designing the game this way.

No surprise people are review bombing this. It's a horrific and predatory game design, and it's built around an IP that a lot of people love. Perfect recipe for a shit storm.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
It's not ridiculous at all that Diablo Immortal is being singled out. Fans have higher expectations from a Diablo game. Let's see if negative word of mouth matters.
I'd argue it is ridiculous. Diablo 4 is still coming with all indications that it will be the Diablo experience these people want. It was from the very beginning that this was a mobile first free to play game and people still despite that knowledge well in advance couldn't keep their expectations in check.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Wow, that's truly disgusting when you think about the kind of dev conversations and discussions that will have gone into designing the game this way.

No surprise people are review bombing this. It's a horrific and predatory game design, and it's built around an IP that a lot of people love. Perfect recipe for a shit storm.
Oh oh oh, that's some slimy scummy shit lol
Be aware that this video is a short "addendum" video.
His full video is 45min long

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
I'd argue it is ridiculous. Diablo 4 is still coming with all indications that it will be the Diablo experience these people want. It was from the very beginning that this was a mobile first free to play game and people still despite that knowledge well in advance couldn't keep their expectations in check.
Firstly, it's not just a mobile game. It has been released on PC as well. Blizzard are the ones who chose to attach the Diablo name to this game so they set expectations. They literally marketed it as a fully fledged Diablo title to their hardcore fan base FFS. Are you suggesting this was the only way they could have made it F2P? Where's the outrage for Path of exile which is also a F2P loot action game?