• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I've played around a bit on it and it's ok. But is this reaction mostly from people who have never seen a mobile gatcha-style game before? It seems completely and totally in line with them aka you can complete content reasonably fine F2P but to be the best (best gear and gems etc.) you need to whale.

Am I missing something?

You're missing that the "normal mobile gatcha MTX" is awful no matter how normalized it's to some of you. The companies don't have our best interest in their mind, so just because it works out great for them and they did their very best to make it the standard, doesn't make it fundamentally good.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I just saw this and got sad. This Game could have been amazing if the mictrotransactions didn't exist :/. It also made me agree with the current metacritic score. It's an immoral game

Watching this now.

I knew that as soon as Blizzard announced a "F2P" Diablo game for mobile that it was going to be a disaster. The initial Blizzcon reaction was spot on. Old Diablo fans knew exactly what Blizzard was doing.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
200.gif

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
Metacritic user reviews have done 0 to change the course of any game's direction. See NBA 2k18 through 2k22 for an example. Users kill it for its mtx integration, but it still sells gangbusters with deeper mtx elements.

Gran Turismo 7 was bombed through Metacritic user scores and Polyphony Digital absolutely listened to that and all the other criticism and made improvements to the game's economy due to it.

blog.playstation.com

Gran Turismo 7: An update from Polyphony Digital

Details on player experience improvements, upcoming patches.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Metacritic user reviews have done 0 to change the course of any game's direction. See NBA 2k18 through 2k22 for an example. Users kill it for its mtx integration, but it still sells gangbusters with deeper mtx elements.
There are plenty of examples where negative feedback has changed the course of a game's direction. Battlefront 2 being the most obvious example. Just because some publishers are irredeemable doesn't mean that people should be quiet about this kind of bullshit.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gran Turismo 7 was bombed through Metacritic user scores and Polyphony Digital absolutely listened to that and all the other criticism and made improvements to the game's economy due to it.

blog.playstation.com

There are plenty of examples where negative feedback has changed the course of a game's direction. Battlefront 2 being the most obvious example. Just because some publishers are irredeemable doesn't mean that people should be quiet about this kind of bullshit.
Gran Turismo 7 and Battlefront 2 were both neither F2P nor mobile games. It's also worth noting that the MC highlighted here is for the PC version. While I'm not saying that critiques for that release aren't valid in terms of the MTX model, it should be noted that that particular version is advertised as a beta and it shows. Even someone that doesn't mind F2P monetization strategies is likely to run into game breaking bugs. That release is not ready for prime time.

iOS reviews for me in the US show a 4.5 out of 5. If you are hoping that bad user reviews are going to send a message that their game stinks and users hate it that's not a good sign. Again, that's not me arguing that these particular user reviews are more valid than the PC MC, but just noting that there's not a clear consensus that users are outraged over Immortal's business practices across different review aggregates.

Fudus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 18, 2020
I wonder what it would take for blizzard to win back the fans.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still too high. Why is there anyone playing Blizzard games right now? They haven't earnt a reprieve from their reprehensible behaviour yet. Not even close.
Because you can make meme content higher than the cost of P2W if you make money with social media.
Also lots of people out there who want to get good and have money/don't care about all the problems with AB.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what it would take for blizzard to win back the fans.

They just need to do a Diablo 4 59.99, no deluxe, collector's shit just the game, solo or online co-op. No shop of any kind with real cash. Nothing, release a paying expension each year do be able to survive. Done....

I mean i don't need to be a markething master to do something like that.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
I read this thread title and thought, okay fine, whatever, low metacritic user score, then clicked on it just laughed when I saw 0.2.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This may be a sign that people think the monetization is too much. Maybe. Probably.

ryandg

Jun 5, 2021
Probably already been said before but what's so odd about this is that a reasonable model from a competitor (Path of Exile) already laid the framework of what a f2p Diablo could be modeled after and have a reasonable chance at people not getting too aggravated over the monetization.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great way to show how not requiring users to have played the game or seen a movie makes user reviews useless

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They just need to do a Diablo 4 59.99, no deluxe, collector's shit just the game, solo or online co-op. No shop of any kind with real cash. Nothing, release a paying expension each year do be able to survive. Done....

I mean i don't need to be a markething master to do something like that.
Lmao, that's not funding game dev in 2022

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
What's really shitty Is the fact that this game is immaculately designed!

From the ui to the way it auto navigates to objectives to each class having a unique portal animation you can tell that the developers really poured a lot of love and work into this free to play mobile game.

It plays better than any mobile game I've Ever played. The combat is fun and engaging. Everything is so well designed.

It's so shitty that blizzard decided to make It have gross and predatory microtransactions..

sandyph

Oct 31, 2017
Interesting.... Are gamers finally fighting back?

*Checks genshin impact's metacritic*

"4.9"

Edit: 3.3 on mobile?
4.6 on ps4
1.8 on ps5
Wtf happened with that PS5 score?

Hmmm 🤔

Anyways... This seems par for the course with these heavily mtx'd games. *Shrugs*

GI got review bombed because they didn't give enough freebies during the 1 year anniversary :D

so the user base are fine with all the monetization, they just want more free stuffs also

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
User scores are and always have been useless.

Just remove the score and show us the most commonly used terms/phrases like Google reviews do.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
I mean, the MTX is gross and deserves criticism but this means nothing as long as the game is sitting in the top 10 of the iOS/Play stores with positive reviews.

Adum

May 30, 2019
Eliminate them. This game doesn't deserve this. Nor does any game. Nor does any movie. Or show. Or anything.
What are you talking about? There absolutely are horrible products that deserve to have a light shine on them.

I think many people get too emotionally invested in their communities and forget that these are products. We are consumers. The games and movies we enjoy are products. We have every right to voice our displeasure with said product if we find something wrong with it.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
Probably already been said before but what's so odd about this is that a reasonable model from a competitor (Path of Exile) already laid the framework of what a f2p Diablo could be modeled after and have a reasonable chance at people not getting too aggravated over the monetization.

They are on completely different platforms but so far, between corporate filings and market intelligence software, it looks like Diablo Immortal (on mobile) is earning 3-4x the daily revenue of Path of Exile.

Will be interesting to see how things hold as downloads have had a steep dropoff, though the revenue hasn't. Certainly Path of Exile has had amazing growth and stability over the years. In any case, with this start, even with dropoff, I'd be expecting Diablo Immortal to at least be earning in the "hundreds of millions" range lifetime. It just might not have the legs to make it to "billions" which I am sure they were hoping for.

Last edited:

EraLurker24

Feb 9, 2022

blog.playstation.com

Plus NBA 2K is the only basketball game in the business, which is why they don't care about milking basketball fans dry every year.

There are many alternatives (good ones) to all of Blizzard's games.