• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bonus poll

• I try to stay optimistic, it can always get better!

Votes: 46 30.9%
  • I maintain my cynicism so I don't get disappointed when things go sour.

Votes: 103 69.1%

• Total voters

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
So I've never experienced with Discord (the few servers I'm in were all from communities formed pre-Discord) but I do have a "fear" for jumping into the middle of communities in a similar fashion.

As an example, the only hangout I've participated in here on ERA -- that I didn't follow before -- is the LiS community thread, and that was mostly because at the time I really didn't want to stop talking about LiS.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I have never joined a Discord group nor do I intend to in the near future. If forums die, then maybe I'll consider it.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I don't think I'm on any ERA discord, but during the GAF > ERA moving, the main Discord was an 🍆 party. That's all I can remember.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
If only there was a word for an audial form of dysfunction. We could totally name the service after that.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I said "Hi" and that was about it. I'm guessing that I was invited by someone without permission and one of the admins knew me from the boards and disliked me. I believe it was called "ChaosERA."

I don't really care, I've just always found it to be an odd situation. Random unsolicited Discord invite from somebody I don't know followed by getting summarily kicked out an hour later without explanation. Shit is wack.
1nto1n.gif

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Idk what slack is but I use if for quicker-paced communal chats or messaging. I stick mostly to GAF/Era based ones (especially during the exodus) and have chilled and befriended many good peeps

And just saying...if you signed up...I'd prolly invite ya somewhere John >.>

Hum thanks but i'm not very good with chats... and communities and stuff.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
When there's pathetic people out there who want to infiltrate a space you've made or are part of to doxx or harass you, you have to have some level of skepticism.
honestly, to a certain degree, this seems to be the case

i especially dislike how community discords and moderation (are rumoured to) interact with each other
This is absolutely not the case in my experience.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I think? I know I did make like one other comment, but I can't remember what it was. Like a joke about the N64? It was something video game related. I don't know. In any case, it was inoffensive.

If you've got some insight you can PM me.

Sounds like a bizzare place.

Glad I'm not in any servers like that.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My question has been answered! My original suspicion was correct:

I'm guessing that I was invited by someone without permission and one of the admins knew me from the boards and disliked me.

In any case, I also wanted to say the Life Is Strange OT Discord is very fun.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been trying to bribe BronsonLee with my friendship for a year and a half now via Discord and all he ever does is threaten to slap, stab. or shoot me.

If someone knows an easier path to moderatorship, I'm all ears.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I recently realized I gain no value from Discord servers I am in. I'm just there and post twice a week or something. Left a lot of them.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
I admin a server and I'm active on a few others. If cliques exist it isn't hard to break into them, and if it is the server isn't worth your time (unless you need it for like, memes or something).

Nothing wrong with lurking in a server with 100+ members tho.

Cringe era is full of fat shamers.

Lies.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
I've been trying to bribe BronsonLee with my friendship for a year and a half now via Discord and all he ever does is threaten to slap, stab. or shoot me.

If someone knows an easier path to moderatorship, I'm all ears.
His favorite wrestler is Neville. Just say how much you like Neville and start conversations about Neville.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Era is very clique-y. It's not easy for new comers to come in and participate. The only way to gain traction is to post a tonne without usually get replies or do something that will make folks angry at you. It's always cringey seeing someone introduce themselves in a thread and then people saying hi once and then ignoring them.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Era is very clique-y. It's not easy for new comers to come in and participate. The only way to gain traction is to post a tonne without usually get replies or do something that will make folks angry at you. It's always cringey seeing someone introduce themselves in a thread and then people saying hi once and then ignoring them.
I disagree, there's a lot of users here and people are probably seeing new users and fresh faces all the time.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm only really in a small number of discord servers and ERA servers. Been rather easy to break into any cliques if there are any, and everyone has been very welcoming to me. I tend to avoid random discords though, and servers that have very high activity.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Discord's are going to be cliquey, but that's the nature of suddenly going into a group that can know each other for months or years. You just have to get over that and realize this tbh. I admin a server (PopEra) and I try to make it as inviting as possible. You have to put in the effort too!

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I disagree, there's a lot of users here and people are probably seeing new users and fresh faces all the time.

A lot of members might have zero desire to break into a clique and see having a certain amount of social detachment while posting as a perk.

I like being able to post in a casual, mostly friendly (occasionally hostile) way. Speaking sincerely and openly 90% of the time without any too many complicating social obligations or factors.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Discord's are going to be cliquey, but that's the nature of suddenly going into a group that can know each other for months or years. You just have to get over that and realize this tbh. I admin a server (PopEra) and I try to make it as inviting as possible. You have to put in the effort too!
But, why use a discord when everyone can just use the Community Thread?

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I've never seen interrogation on Discord servers.

I thought this was going to be about one of two other different things that I have seen a decent bit of:

1. A server where social dynamics are already really established, and people are apprehensive about new people joining. This is more of an "online community" thing than a Discord thing, since often times communities that get this way won't share their invite link anymore, but it could happen. In this case, I would see how it would be easy to feel like an outsider.

2. Discord drama bullshit, which seems to be pretty common. Groups of people talking in the DMs, shittalking other users, forming their own cliques. Discords kind of splitting up or communities being formed elsewhere. I don't know why this sort of thing seems to be so common on Discord but in my experience it is.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, for my server at least, we got banned from Gaf a few months before it imploded, so it kind of makes sense of why most of our members have just moved from long forum style posts.

For other community OT's, that I have sometimes participated less in is because of discord. It's just easier to have an actual conversation there then reply in a forum. You also get to know people there better then if you go off-topic from what the actual OT is about.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But the really exclusive Discord is the one where we discuss the Era Discord behind their back.

Circles within circles, the inner order. The Watchers of the Watchers. Ordo Malleus.....I have already said too much....

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Less rules.

Can be your own boss.

Less rules.

Less rules.

The Era discord I post in is great: less rules, can gate certain folks from entering, and conversations flow better because it's live. Forums are a dying breed.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
I'm in a few Discord cliques or whatever. I don't think it is a big deal. Security plays a big role. I'm more willing to talk to someone in private about personal matters than I am in a public or larger discord. I've made several, great close friends through Discord and even met my SO through it.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I've established that I'll never be 'in' with anything so the idea that Discord has the same bs I've been dealing with all my life doesn't surprise me. Most internet communities value being "first" over pretty much everything else. If you weren't the 'first' to get somewhere it's very, very, very unlikely that you'll become anything more than just another random avatar to the people who are already there.

...or maybe that's just my complete lack of social skills speaking!

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I was invited to a small discord server once by an OKCupid date and it turned out every one of the dudes in her discord were trying to get with her. My arrival was not welcomed to put it lightly

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I did a study back on GAF trying to see if people already in cliques were more likely to get replies in any given thread. I found no evidence to support it, but that could have just been my sampling or the way I was defining "clique". It certainly feels that way as a poster though!

Also checked if negative posts were more likely to be quoted. It happened in some threads but not in all of them. Maybe one day I'll go back into the data and also look more into the way posts were categorized as negative/positive.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
I did a study back on GAF trying to see if people already in cliques were more likely to get replies in any given thread. I found no evidence to support it, but that could have just been my sampling or the way I was defining "clique". It certainly feels that way as a poster though!

Also checked if negative posts were more likely to be quoted. It happened in some threads but not in all of them. Maybe one day I'll go back into the data and also look more into the way posts were categorized as negative/positive.
Was this for a PhD study?