• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
www.cnn.com

Disney fans say Splash Mountain, a ride inspired by 'Song of the South,' should be re-themed | CNN

Splash Mountain, a mainstay at Disney World and Disneyland, is based on the 1946 film "Song of the South." It's long been criticized for using racist stereotypes. Fans want Disney to change its theme.

One of Disney's best-loved rides is based on a film widely considered the studio's most racist.
Splash Mountain, a mainstay at both Walt Disney World in Florida and Disneyland in California, stars the animated characters from "Song of the South," the 1946 film long criticized for stereotypes of "spiritual" black men and its seemingly nostalgic view of the antebellum South.

A number of suggestions have cropped up urging Disney to retheme the popular ride. The most widely shared one proposes retooling it for "The Princess and the Frog," the first Disney film to introduce a black princess. Some of them have turned into Change.org petitions.

splash-mountain-gallery06.jpg

www.change.org

21,308 people signed and won this petition

Re-theme Splash Mountain to Princess and the Frog

Hide me in the vault if old.

Scerick

Oct 29, 2017
Oh that would actually be really cool if they changed it into Princess and the Frog themed.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
People have been talking about this for awhile. I used to post on a popular disneyworld forum back around 2007 and I remember discussions about it. Princess and the Frog splash moment would be dope.

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
Is the pic in the OP a mockup of a Princess & The Frog ride? Or is it a shot of the original?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It's very unusual that this ride exists when Song of the South hasn't been seen in decades.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
The ride itself seemed harmless when I rode it over a decade ago, though given its contentious history and inspiration a re-theme is probably wise. Re-appropriating it into a Princess and the Frog ride would be a brilliant move - would make for a great setting, shouldn't be too challenging an endeavour, and plus there's the loose benefit of it being based on a film that's a celebration of African american culture (ironically the inverse of the ride's origin).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The ride itself seemed harmless when I rode it over a decade ago, though given its contentious history and inspiration a re-theme is probably wise. Re-appropriating it into a Princess and the Frog ride would be a brilliant move.

They've been slowly chopping away Song of the South theming from the ride as time goes on. It used to be far more pronounced.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe (remember) there being anything inherently bad with the animated portions of that movie.

The live action part of happy slaves was obviously terrible.
They've been slowly chopping away Song of the South theming from the ride as time goes on. It used to be far more pronounced.

Hmm? Anything particular? I don't necessarily remember anything disappearing. Maybe paint and stuff?

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Considering Disney's non-release policy on the film I'm surprised they haven't changed this ride already.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably on the short list to be re-themed because they're putting their property everywhere anyways. And that concept that was linked is dope. I think it's appropriate to change it, that said, nothing about the ride itself is inappropriate, just their origins.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Always surprised they let that theme go on the ride. Never felt comfortable on it. You could feel the deep south dripping off it. Kind of like the walls of a Cracker Barrel.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I always forget this is supposed to be a Song of the South ride.

If they re-work the ride it will probably themed after something more recent and popular than Princess and the Frog though

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. Let's say they make it Princess and the Frog themed.

What's a good story beat for the drop? Facilier being tossed into the Other Side?

are ya reeeeady

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Splash Mountain was my favorite Disney World ride as a kid, so I was stunned when I learned about the racist movie it was based on as an adult. I completely understand if they decided to retheme the ride to a different IP given the baggage the ride has. As long as it was a great log flume ride with charming animatronics and music I'd be cool with it.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
disney seems intent on trying to kill the muppets in any way the can so thats probably a no go

but a kermits swamp or something could work yeah

Disney did just re-theme Epcot's American pavilion's barbecue restaurant to be muppet themed, so you can tell they take the muppets really seriously.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
I could see them doing a Princess & The Frog retheme on the ride. The issue would be the surrounding theming on the area around the ride itself, but I would imagine with enough backlash Disney could warrant doing it.

Disney did just re-theme Epcot's American pavilion's barbecue restaurant to be muppet themed, so you can tell they take the muppets really seriously.
They also released that Rat Pizza Restaurant in Hollywood Studios, so MUPPETS IS ON THE RISE

thebeeks

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas, USA
I don't believe (remember) there being anything inherently bad with the animated portions of that movie.

The live action part of happy slaves was obviously terrible.

As much as I love the animation in that movie...

The tar baby scene is... not great.

Also, if you absolutely need to fill the '2D animated telling of the Brer Rabbit/Brer Fox stories' shaped hole in your life, Universal put out a surprisingly decent movie (well, almost more of a collection of Looney Tunes-esque shorts) in 2006. I got it for pennies at a used movie store a while ago because I thought it would be an interesting train wreck to watch, but it's better than expected.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious...how do people feel about the The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal, now? Especially since it's well documented on why it's really hard to disassociate the Potter IP with Rowling and her views.

I know I honestly feel kinda uncomfortable going there again, as great as Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley are.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
I always thought the ride was really weird after digging into the history of Song of the South. Its one of those harmless things until you learn about its history. Changing it would be a positive move. Definitely not saying this because the last time I went on Splash Mountain I sat in the front and got completely soaked on the second to last hill.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love the animation in that movie...

The tar baby scene is... not great.

Also, if you absolutely need to fill the '2D animated telling of the Brer Rabbit/Brer Fox stories' shaped hole in your life, Universal put out a surprisingly decent movie (well, almost more of a collection of Looney Tunes-esque shorts) in 2006. I got it for pennies at a used movie store a while ago because I thought it would be an interesting train wreck to watch, but it's better than expected.
I absolutely forgot about the tar baby.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I'm curious...how do people feel about the The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal, now? Especially since it's well documented on why it's really hard to disassociate the Potter IP with Rowling and her views.

I know I honestly feel kinda uncomfortable going there again, as great as Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley are.
As someone who works at the Harry Potter section. We're still the busiest sections of the park by far. Though a lot of us don't approve of her actions. And I obviously do not speak for the company.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Splash Mountain is pretty interesting in the context of Song of the South. While the movie is problematic as all hell, it's issues are also exclusively on the live-action parts. The animated characters are relatively harmless in comparison, and Splash Mountain focuses on them exclusively. So the ride is only really a problem from a historical context, one that has completely eclipsed the original film. And it's not like Disney's itching to sell Song of the South again - hell, they wouldn't dare use Br'er Rabbit anywhere outside his home on Splash Mountain.

So ultimately it's a ride based on a problematic work, but has successfully eradicated its problematic elements to the point where it stands completely on its own and the Br'er bunch are effectively OCs in the vein of the Country Bears. The question posed, then, is is that good enough.

I will say remodeling it to Princess and the Frog would be interesting, but that'd require Disney to remember Princess and the Frog.

julian

Oct 27, 2017

I feel like that's very different. Unless people are finding that the Harry Potter books are transphobic. In this case, if you're curious about what this ride is about you'll run into racist material. In Harry Potter's case, yes, it's bad if you look up the author, but the material itself is ok (I think?). If you're going down this road then you should never let anybody watch the Wizard of Oz or play Minecraft.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm. Let's say they make it Princess and the Frog themed.

What's a good story beat for the drop? Facilier being tossed into the Other Side?

are ya reeeeady
Project magical vortex around the lift hill with Facilier at the top. Right before he gets you you are saved and drop away.
I could see them doing a Princess & The Frog retheme on the ride. The issue would be the surrounding theming on the area around the ride itself, but I would imagine with enough backlash Disney could warrant doing it.

They also released that Rat Pizza Restaurant in Hollywood Studios, so MUPPETS IS ON THE RISE
At Disneyland this would be the easiest thing in the world since New Orleans square is already right next door. Just retheme Critter Country as the bayou.

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the theming for the flume ride at Islands of Adventure better because it didn't seem as racist........but it could be problematic too because the RCMP has been the target of some of the protests in Canada

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
For Disney World I would LOVE a Princess and the Frog attraction but there's no need to retheme Splash about it. It would be a much better use of their space to convert Tom Sawyer's Island to a Bayou ride and a restaurant. The biggest problem in MK is the lack of capacity. Retheming an already popular ride won't help with that.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like that's very different. Unless people are finding that the Harry Potter books are transphobic. In this case, if you're curious about what this ride is about you'll run into racist material. In Harry Potter's case, yes, it's bad if you look up the author, but the material itself is ok (I think?). If you're going down this road then you should never let anybody watch the Wizard of Oz or play Minecraft.

I don't know, I haven't seen or read much HP but going from other threads, I've heard people say that some of her views are reflected in the story. Like this post

4159873dbe028c9e7aadf9b4111844a5.png

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I do agree with the idea that Splash Mountain should be changed into a Princess and the Frog style ride. Disneyland changes with the times.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Project magical vortex around the lift hill with Facilier at the top. Right before he gets you you are saved and drop away.

At Disneyland this would be the easiest thing in the world since New Orleans square is already right next door. Just retheme Critter Country as the bayou.
I've never been to Disneyland so I didn't know how the Theming of that area is in comparison to MK, but it's good to know it wouldn't be as difficult there.

For Disney World I would LOVE a Princess and the Frog attraction but there's no need to retheme Splash about it. It would be a much better use of their space to convert Tom Sawyer's Island to a Bayou ride and a restaurant. The biggest problem in MK is the lack of capacity. Retheming an already popular ride won't help with that.

I think this would be a great Idea but I can't come up with a decent solution for getting the actual guests to the island that doesn't involve shutting down the riverboat permanently or a bridge that would constantly need to lift for the riverboat.

I have no clue if this is something they would attempt to fast track since they have a ton of things scheduled (For WDW at least). Between the Star Wars Hotel, the Epcot expansions, & some other projects I'm forgetting right now I think this would have to be done for around 2022 at the latest (Not to mention all the concept work & planning necessary for such a retheme)

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, I haven't seen or read much HP but going from other threads, I've heard people say that some of her views are reflected in the story. Like this post

4159873dbe028c9e7aadf9b4111844a5.png
If people have issues with the content, that's a totally different thing, I was just expressing my feeling about throwing away content because the creator ended up being shitty. Of course, avoiding giving them money is another reason somebody might avoid Harry Potter (something you wouldn't be doing by playing Minecraft). Just pointing out that there are a whole lot of things we'd have to throw out if we set the bar at the author later being shitty.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I've never been to Disneyland so I didn't know how the Theming of that area is in comparison to MK, but it's good to know it wouldn't be as difficult there.

I think this would be a great Idea but I can't come up with a decent solution for getting the actual guests to the island that doesn't involve shutting down the riverboat permanently or a bridge that would constantly need to lift for the riverboat.

I have no clue if this is something they would attempt to fast track since they have a ton of things scheduled (For WDW at least). Between the Star Wars Hotel, the Epcot expansions, & some other projects I'm forgetting right now I think this would have to be done for around 2022 at the latest (Not to mention all the concept work & planning necessary for such a retheme)
Look at how Paris handled Big Thunder. They put it on the island and the trains travel under the river

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Ever since I saw Frozen 2, I thought "This fucking earth giant river sequence was *made* to rebrand Splash Mountain..."

If you've seen that movie, it's like a roller coaster sequence thrown in right before the climax where Anna and Olaf ride down this frozen boat thing down a rushing river, and end up falling down a huge cliff in the boat.

I love the theme of Splash Mountain, the music (Zippity-doo-da) is great, and it's a great ride at Disney, but you've also gotta be like "man song of the south is a fucked up movie." It was even considered a fucked up movie when Splash Moujntain was being made in the 80s/90s. That movie was already basically removed from Disney vault when I was a kid. SPlash Mountain's theme is fine if you don't know the context it's from, and when you know the context it's like ... oh... yeah this ... doesn't fit.