Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. According to Wikipedia they deliberately removed the Uncle Remus character when developing the attraction, so they already were fully aware of how offensive the film yet they developed the theme anyway, seemingly thinking they could get away with just using the animated characters and ignoring the plot?
Uh, yeah? Song of the South was wiped from the face of the earth already, this iconic ride serving as a monument to it has always been tone-deaf and puzzling.
I presume their thinking was that they could retain all the characters from the cartoons, and remove all the elements from the live-action frame story. The frame story is what garnered most of the complaints about the film.

Apparently the SOTS characters and Splash Mountain are in the 2011 videogame Kinect: Disneyland Adventures. So even in a more modern era, Disney seems to think they can try to keep the enjoyable elements of the film around and try to sweep the distasteful parts under the rug. The film itself will likely stay locked in the Disney Vault forever, I imagine.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I love splash mountain and the ride itself is completely fun and innocent but I still remember the shock when my dad explaines to me the origins of the ride. Like I had always just figured it was based off nothing.

I think it's a bad look for Disney, anyone who bothers to figure out what the ride is based on will find a movie that basically had to be scrubbed from Disney history because of its racist portrayals and it kind of leads you down a seperate path that Walt Disney himself was kind of racist.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Does the ride even acknowledge Song of the South? Seemed to me like it was very sterile use of the animals, but was always weird to me since it doesn't mention the movie. I'd love if they theme it like Princess and the Frog. Makes sense too since they don't even have official Song of the South merch or movie sales. I was always surprised they didn't make some reboot with Splash characters to make them not promote something strictly heinous, but its too late and it is a good idea to change it.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
Sure. Makes sense to me.

While we're re-theming, make Grizzly River Run a Moana themed ride and Soarin' an UP themed ride.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel I should point this out while relevant to the thread buuuut...if we're gonna change Splash Mountain, can we also address Disney still selling an animation book with Song of the South in it, that includes a sketch of
Tar Baby?

It's on Amazon.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Does the ride even acknowledge Song of the South? Seemed to me like it was very sterile use of the animals, but was always weird to me since it doesn't mention the movie. I'd love if they theme it like Princess and the Frog. Makes sense too since they don't even have official Song of the South merch or movie sales. I was always surprised they didn't make some reboot with Splash characters to make them not promote something strictly heinous, but its too late and it is a good idea to change it.
the ride iirc still tells the basics of a racist Brer Rabbit story, replacing the racist part with a sticky bee hive

it also has the "Zippity Doo Daa" music i think, unless that's changed

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
the ride is a bare bones version of this story, but with the racist part changed
6142HYN62XL.jpg

this story was featured in 'Song of the South' the film, it's an Uncle Remus story

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Change it into princess and the frog, I love that movie and it needs more love, my daughter always mentions Princess Tiana as one of her favorites!

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
I love the design of the Splash Mountain characters. Princess and the Frog comparatively is much poorer design. Similarly was bummed by Twilight Zone for corporatized Guardians ride

For every other reason, sure. But I think Splash Mountain is one of the gems. I also don't want every classic ride replaced by some new, corporate marketing ride. I think there needs to be some consideration for preservation of what remains historical and appealing about Disneyland, despite Splash Mountain being a newer ride. And the clash of Star Wars, Marvel, etc already loses aesthetic appeal

Splash Mountain is a Brer Rabbit themed ride if anything... Those stories predate "Song of the South" by a long shot and the ride has nothing to do with the film's problematic trappings around those stories.

I'm sure a Princess and the Frog version would be great but I don't see the need to retheme what's there already.

I feel this as well some. The issues with the Song of the South film, are separate from the characters

Last edited:
May 19, 2020
I think they successfully "rehabilitated" as much as you can without fully trashing the entire ride, because that would be what happens if they do a re-theming. I think notating the racist origins of the Uncle Remus inspiration for the ride somewhere in the queue or signage is the compromise option.

I'm not much of a Disney parks attendee anymore so I don't really have huge feelings on it I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm curious...how do people feel about the The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal, now? Especially since it's well documented on why it's really hard to disassociate the Potter IP with Rowling and her views.

I know I honestly feel kinda uncomfortable going there again, as great as Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley are.

I'll tell you this much, if it wasn't for wizarding world, we would have never gone.

We spent maybe an additional two hours in the rest of the park

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
A Princess & The Frog reskin would be really cool - as an idea in itself, but also as a response to SotS; but probably a bit too ambitious. More likely to see things slightly stripped back with regards to SotS than a reskin. They won't radically alter Splash Mountain.

I feel like a total idiot, I had no idea it was based on SoTS.

To be fair, SotS isn't an entirely well known property and has in general been swept under the rug, and quite rightly so.

I think far more people associate Splash Mountain as a stand-alone entity than as a SotS ride, which is a good thing. So don't feel like an idiot. It's a great ride, that just has some loosely connected disgusting connotations that most people are unaware of so the ride itself isn't really complicit. But I'm totally down for them removing any elements associated with SotS.

I think Song of the South should be on Disney+ with an anti-racism disclaimer.

Nah, I'm fine with SotS staying in a vault and away from easily accessed human consumption.

But I feel like this happened on a streaming service recently? What was it that got re-released with a warning messaging at the front that said something along the lines of "this was made in a different time that doesn't reflect the moderns values of our company and society, but we feel it is necessary to understand and reflect on the past"?

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
While there's nothing problematic in the ride itself, they should acknowledge the history of SotS in the queue. Retheming would be extreme. Retheming to what is easily the most boring of the animated princess movies would be a huge bummer.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
But I feel like this happened on a streaming service recently? What was it that got re-released with a warning messaging at the front that said something along the lines of "this was made in a different time that doesn't reflect the moderns values of our company and society, but we feel it is necessary to understand and reflect on the past"?

Old Looney Tunes shorts on DVD.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
Splash Mountain was always a weird, weird, ride to me. It's an e-ticket ride based off a somewhat obscure movie that had already been disparaged by the company and swept under the rug, it features singing animals, and was marketed as a thrill ride. IIRC, it was primarily based off the Brer Rabbit story because they could make the ride on the cheap by reusing the from animatronics used in the America Sings show in Tomorrowland. I kinda feel that the ride seems enough removed from the Song of the South movie, but I would very much be down with a Princess and the Frog re-theming if they go with that. If they go that route it would be nice if they could keep the song as its a bit iconic for that ride.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
The only redeeming part about the theming of that ride is Zippity-Doo-Dah, but only in a vacuum since it is still unfortunately associated with Song of the South. No one cares about Brier Rabbit.

I've personally been on this "retheme Splash Mountain to something else" boat for years. The ride as is never sat right with me. I wonder if this will pick up any steam.

Regardless, it's doubtful anything major will happen to the ride for the time being. Disney is not going to look into any major renovations until their theme park earnings recover from the pandemic.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I mean... Princess and the Frog sure ain't a particularly great movie, but by the insanely low standards of the ride being themed after Song of the South, it'd still be a hell of an improvement.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
I presume their thinking was that they could retain all the characters from the cartoons, and remove all the elements from the live-action frame story. The frame story is what garnered most of the complaints about the film.

Apparently the SOTS characters and Splash Mountain are in the 2011 videogame Kinect: Disneyland Adventures. So even in a more modern era, Disney seems to think they can try to keep the enjoyable elements of the film around and try to sweep the distasteful parts under the rug. The film itself will likely stay locked in the Disney Vault forever, I imagine.

They're still making comics as well:

Glazenwasser (H 2018-238) | I.N.D.U.C.K.S.

The Inducks Disney comics database

De vliegwedstrijd (H 2018-076) | I.N.D.U.C.K.S.

The Inducks Disney comics database

JS3DX

Feb 15, 2018
I don't think there are that many people who associates the ride with SOTS, but I wouldn't mind a Princess and The Frog re-theme. As long as the ride stays being cool, I support it.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I don't see any reason for Disney Parks, Experiences and Products to deny this request.

It's a great idea, but it's not that easy a "request" for them. It's one of the best themed and most iconic rides at the parks. To do something of equal quality would be extremely expensive. To justify the cost and redirection of resources away from new attractions, Disney would have to consider:

1. Whether they want to close one of their most popular rides for a long construction process.

2. "Zippity Doo Dah" is an all time classic song. Hypothetically you could retain it after being redesigned, but since it's a reference to a Uncle Remus scene - it would need to die everywhere forever.

3. Total guestimate here, but let's say 80% of the people riding it don't know what it's referencing (I predict I'm lowballing here). They would then have to consider how many of that remaining 20% really care that much and if it's worth the time and energy to please them.

And it would set a difficult precedent. Disney himself was a member of the German American Bund and friends with Leni Riefenstahl. Change the company name? The Hall of Presidents? Consider the characters of John Lasseter who was a sexist predator and essentially the Walt Disney of Pixar?

I mean, it should be done in theory - but it's not exactly that simple.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
The ride itself seemed harmless when I rode it over a decade ago, though given its contentious history and inspiration a re-theme is probably wise. Re-appropriating it into a Princess and the Frog ride would be a brilliant move - would make for a great setting, shouldn't be too challenging an endeavour, and plus there's the loose benefit of it being based on a film that's a celebration of African american culture (ironically the inverse of the ride's origin).

Yeah, it's definitely less about the ride itself and more about what it's origins are tied to. It's a shame because I always loved the aesthetic of the ride but changing it is absolutely the right thing to do.

Zoso

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see this realistically happening. This ride isn't like Guardians where they can install a few large screens and call it a day. Splash Mountain is full of practical sets and animatronics. The track intertwines upon a large amount of dense and detailed rockwork. They would need to completely level and rebuild a majority of the ride to do it any justice. A cheap overlay would not cut it.

Then you consider that Splash Mountain is still widely considered one of the best attractions imagineering has ever made, it's still very popular today, and The Princess and the Frog only received middling critical reception and box office returns. Plus the parks are about to see huge budget cuts from the ongoing pandemic. Many of the currently announced construction projects are being delayed, cut back, or cancelled entirely. So I can't see them spending 100+ million at this time to retheme Splash Mountain.

I do like the idea, but if they ever do a Princess and the Frog ride I'd much prefer they design something from the ground up for it.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They should totally strip out the SOTS stuff if they can, but it'd be one hell of a job- it's one of the most complicated ride set-ups in the parks.

It's probably the only reason why it's survived as far into Disney's modern obsession with synergy and pushing IP in rides as it has- the cost would trend towards that of throwing up a new ride.

Deleted member 51845

user requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Its odd it took them so long from a business point as well. They aren't able to sell merchandise or get people interested in their properties like the other rides. Song of the South is practically non-existent to most kids.

Hopefully they take the opportunity to turn it into Tom Hanks 1984 Splash Mountain.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I have been on the ride and didn't know about any correlation to the Song of the South, which I have never seen. If it is hurtful to people it should go though.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think Princess and the Frog would be a good in-between ride for New Orleans Square and Critter Country

Disney's been pretty successful at wiping the racist parts of Song of the South from Splash Mountain to make it merchandiseable but you can't get it all. Just pray no one asks who said those quotes scattered around the queue

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Its odd it took them so long from a business point as well. They aren't able to sell merchandise or get people interested in their properties like the other rides. Song of the South is practically non-existent to most kids.

Hopefully they take the opportunity to turn it into Tom Hanks 1984 Splash Mountain.
Splash Mountain has a ton of merch. They just dodge the live action bits like the plague, and changed the tar scene to him getting caught in honey instead
I don't see any reason for Disney Parks, Experiences and Products to deny this request.
I don't see Chapek shelling out cash to retheme this unless it's an alternative to straight up adding a new ride

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised it hasn't been rebranded already. Zootopia and Frozen 2 both felt like they had sequences that could be rethemed into it. Princess and the Frog would work as well.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
What about taking Trump and other racists presidents from the hall of the presidents. If you want to go all the way, GO ALL THE WAY, and actually take out the pieces of shit that exists as theming in the ride.

Im all for a princess and the frog ride as I love that movie, but I would prefer if its its own, well thought new ride.. Splash Mountain is already a super censored version of the original story, with only talking and singing animals.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017

They *do* sell merchandise for Splash Mountain; it's just branded SPLASH MOUNTAIN and features Brer Rabbit/Fox/Bear, occasionally Mr. Bluebird or the Vultures, etc.

The Brer animals are far older than Song of the South: https://www.britannica.com/topic/Brer-Rabbit

And here's a ride-through video for anyone unfamiliar with the ride:

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
the ride is a bare bones version of this story, but with the racist part changed
6142HYN62XL.jpg

this story was featured in 'Song of the South' the film, it's an Uncle Remus story
The ride is a fusion of all 3 stories that Remus tells in the film, not just that one.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel I should point this out while relevant to the thread buuuut...if we're gonna change Splash Mountain, can we also address Disney still selling an animation book with Song of the South in it, that includes a sketch of
Tar Baby?

It's on Amazon.
Even weirder because they clearly KNOW that's racist because they change it to honey in the ride

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
Even weirder because they clearly KNOW that's racist because they change it to honey in the ride

I don't think that's fair to say; there's no "honey baby" in the ride.

Brer Fox uses a beehive to apprehend Brer Rabbit in the Laughin' Place, while Brer Rabbit is distracted from his laughing, and there's honey everywhere. There's no fake baby made out of honey set up by Brer Fox to distract him.

AFAIK the ride shares nothing with the tar baby story.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I say add it to Galaxy's Edge and make it Kashyyyk themed. Get Chewie in there somehow!
Thing about that is it's separated from the rest of Galaxy's Edge by Critter Country. Since it's straight up the division between New Orleans Square and Critter Country I think Princess and the Frog works great

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's fair to say; there's no "honey baby" in the ride.

Brer Fox uses a beehive to apprehend Brer Rabbit in the Laughin' Place, while Brer Rabbit is distracted from his laughing, and there's honey everywhere. There's no fake baby made out of honey set up by Brer Fox to distract him.

AFAIK the ride shares nothing with the tar baby story.
Ride's a fusion of all 3 stories. First part is dollar a minute. 2nd part is the tar changed to honey. The lift hill and drop are The Laughing Place. It is a 100% conscious replacement. The song "How Do You Do?" Is from that story

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
Ride's a fusion of all 3 stories. First part is dollar a minute. 2nd part is the tar changed to honey. The lift hill and drop are The Laughing Place. It is a 100% conscious replacement. The song "How Do You Do?" Is from that story

Going from "getting yourself stuck in a baby made from tar because you got into a fight with it" to "Brer Fox sneaks up from behind and slams a beehive on you while you are laughing"; I just mean that it's not like they simply swapped honey for tar. They changed the entire setup.