Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Going from "getting yourself stuck in a baby made from tar because you got into a fight with it" to "Brer Fox sneaks up from behind and slams a beehive on you while you are laughing"; I just mean that it's not like they simply swapped honey for tar. They changed the entire setup.
Sorry I actually got the stories mixed up. The first part of the ride is dollar a minute. The part with the beehive both laughing place and the tar thing (looking through development articles they all mention it was a conscious decision to replace the tar with a beehive) and the bees themselves are from the laughing place story, as is him tied to the stake. The drop is also from the tar story as you drop into the briar patch. They didn't change the story so much as move the parts around

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So Br'er Rabbit and the Tar Baby story come up super frequently in early grades quiz bowl competitions. I only know it from the clues I've helped my daughter study (Joel Chandler Harris, Uncle Remus, Br'er Rabbit, Tar Baby, Splash Mountain) but never knew Song of the South was based on the Uncle Remus stories or that "tar baby" literally meant a humanoid made of tar (the clue is always "got his foot stuck to a tar baby and thrown in a briar patch." We just thought a tar baby was an antiquated term for some ball of tar or something). Br'er Rabbit being on Splash Mountain is a common clue too but again nothing ever mentions Song of the South.

Holy shit this is all racist as fuck and they want elementary and middle school kids to study these stories?! I'm going to reach out to the board that runs quiz bowl in Kentucky and ask them to pull these out of the curriculum.

Flaros

Oct 27, 2017
Even though I know the characters originate from SOTS I always forget when I'm riding it. Splash Mountain was a childhood favorite of mine and is still one of the top rides at the park for me. I really don't like the idea of a re-theme as I would prefer princess and the frog get a new original attraction.

I'm not a huge fan of re-themes, I like the rides in the parks that aren't necessarily tied to a specific movie or property. Like I still prefer the old maelstrom to the new Frozen one, not that maelstrom was some awesome ride, but because the frozen ride just feels disjointed and a bit uninspired. I know splash mountain is tied to SOTS, I just wish there was a way to keep the spirit of the ride but remove anything that people find offensive.

That being said, if they were to re-theme it, that would be quite the ironic justice of a ride based on characters from a racist movie being replaced by a ride featuring Disney's first black princess.

Last edited:

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
As much as I love the animation in that movie...

The tar baby scene is... not great.

Also, if you absolutely need to fill the '2D animated telling of the Brer Rabbit/Brer Fox stories' shaped hole in your life, Universal put out a surprisingly decent movie (well, almost more of a collection of Looney Tunes-esque shorts) in 2006. I got it for pennies at a used movie store a while ago because I thought it would be an interesting train wreck to watch, but it's better than expected.
I still believe the movie should be released in home video, with a warning like all the old classic cartoon who have racist depiction in it.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
It's been probably close to 20 years since I was last at Disney, but I did love Splash Mountain! Had no clue back then (in fact even until this thread) that it was based off a film. I just always thought it was it's own original story for the ride.

It does seems that changing it to PatF would be quite cool and could fit with the type of ride.

thebeeks

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas, USA
I still believe the movie should be released in home video, with a warning like all the old classic cartoon who have racist depiction in it.

I waffle back and forth on whether they should release it or not. The movie's kind of boring, but I love the animated segments. But yeah, if this ever sees the light of day again, they should absolutely do what they did with the Disney Treasures sets and have an unskippable preamble about how the depictions in the movie are racist garbage.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I waffle back and forth on whether they should release it or not. The movie's kind of boring, but I love the animated segments. But yeah, if this ever sees the light of day again, they should absolutely do what they did with the Disney Treasures sets and have an unskippable preamble about how the depictions in the movie are racist garbage.

just do new b'rer rabbit stories entirely with entirely black creative/production. that way the black community can reclaim those stories and completely own them and recontextualize splash mountain with this new story.

hell, you can even just name the new movie "Splash Mountain."

thebeeks

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas, USA
just do new b'rer rabbit stories entirely with entirely black creative/production. that way the black community can reclaim those stories and completely own them and recontextualize splash mountain with this new story.

That's kind of what The Adventures of Brer Rabbit from '06 is, an all black cast (unsure about the folks in production) going off the Julius Lester adaptations of the stories, rather than the Harris version.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's an almost perfect ride for me, I love it, Song of the South is clearly not good but u wouldn't say it's a song of the south ride, it's about Brer Rabbit, Fox and Bear.

I hope they keep it as is however if they had to change it Princess and the Frog seems the obvious answer

Disclaimer - I'm white, so I can't decide solely how offensive it is that it's origins are linked to a racist story

Last edited:

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I hope they don't change the ride or theming too much; Splash Mountain is a classic to me and I have vivid memories of riding it.

OP
OP
OrangeAtlas

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone who wants to know about Song of the South, Uncle Remus, and Splash Mountain, Defunctland as always has a great video:

And fun fact but yes the ride is actually called Splash Mountain because of the Tom Hanks movie.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Rebrand it into a River Wild ride.

Z0ti1ve.jpg

Side Note: I'm having a Berenstain Bear moment. I remember this movie starting Laura Dern.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017

The problem is that even b'rer rabbit is an appropriation. Yes, all those stories are based on African lore, but the Trickster was not a rabbit, it was the spider-god Anansi.

By the way, Anansi already had the superior adaptation:

youtu.be

Mr. Nancy: His Grand Entrance | American Gods

Remember that time Mr. Nancy inspired righteous mutiny?Watch: http://primevideo.com/americangodsDon't forget to follow us on:Facebook: https://www.facebook.c...

Oct 28, 2017
I have 0 problem with the current theming. The ride is so divorced from the source material that even people here were unfamiliar about its origins.
That being said, I love the idea of a Princess and the Frog re-theme. Love it! It's a great fit plus it highlights a great film that is under-represented in the parks.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That would be a good fit. The animatronics on it are kinda trash anyways, people come for those drops, so revamp it all.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why keep something around that's a relic of a time of pain for millions of people in Disney parks, which are about happiness?

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
They desperately need to retheme it. They also need to keep everything else about the ride aside from its racist theme the same, because other than that it's perfection. Those drops are perfectly timed and feel unlike any other ride at a theme park I've been on.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
The movie is problematic so I understand why some people want the ride re-themed, but I personally think the ride is distanced enough from the film that it stands fully on its own.

Princess and the Frog deserves a ride though, but I'd rather Disney avoided their usual tactic of cheaply slapping IP onto something else and instead make a unique attraction for it.