• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Well I decided to try Sebille, Ifan, Fane and Lohse. No idea on the builds exactly. Seb will be some sort of assassin type, Ifan a ranger type. Fane a caster/damage type and Lohse a healer/summoner sorta thing. I am trying to see if I can see some build/suggestions online but nothing really good yet.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Well I decided to try Sebille, Ifan, Fane and Lohse. No idea on the builds exactly. Seb will be some sort of assassin type, Ifan a ranger type. Fane a caster/damage type and Lohse a healer/summoner sorta thing. I am trying to see if I can see some build/suggestions online but nothing really good yet.

Check fextralife for builds

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Guys what are the differences between classic and tactician?
Divinity 2 is basically my first pure crpg ever but classic mode is a little too easy for now so i want to know if the difficulty raise up later in the game or maybe is better switch to tactician...
I'm on chapter 2 and even the final fight of the first area was pretty easy even with the "surprise"...

Now i understand why this game is the goty or gotg for many people, it's fantastic.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is the shit! I feel like its low-key and I'm about to spread the word to friends and family. I really am enjoying the first two Acts and feel invested so far. It's really satisfying trying to escape Fort Joy and getting revenge on Magisters. I love the many routes you can take to leave.

How important is Ifan's "Summon Wolf" ability? I have Ifan being a heavy Huntsman and Fane is getting pumped with summon stats. I know I can respec, but I think an undead summoner is cooler than a human one.

And is there a repleneshing Source Point location or is their a finite number of times you can use those special Source skills in the game?
Guys what are the differences between classic and tactician?
Divinity 2 is basically my first pure crpg ever but classic mode is a little too easy for now so i want to know if the difficulty raise up later in the game or maybe is better switch to tactician...
I'm on chapter 2 and even the final fight of the first area was pretty easy even with the "surprise"...

Now i understand why this game is the goty or gotg for many people, it's fantastic.
Tactician is fair but prepare to be stomped out a little. I am about 55hrs in and still haven't left Fort Joy's Island, I've been taking my time doing as many missions as possible. The 55hrs is inflated though, there were some nights where I passed out with the game on. I did have to avoid certain battles, and evel up elsewhere before I could confront those enemies again. Im just about to meet Gareth and the Seekers.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
This game is the shit! I feel like its low-key and I'm about to spread the word to friends and family. I really am enjoying the first two Acts and feel invested so far. It's really satisfying trying to escape Fort Joy and getting revenge on Magisters. I love the many routes you can take to leave.

How important is Ifan's "Summon Wolf" ability? I have Ifan being a heavy Huntsman and Fane is getting pumped with summon stats. I know I can respec, but I think an undead summoner is cooler than a human one.

And is there a repleneshing Source Point location or is their a finite number of times you can use those special Source skills in the game?

Tactician is fair but prepare to be stomped out a little. I am about 55hrs in and still haven't left Fort Joy's Island, I've been taking my time doing as many missions as possible. The 55hrs is inflated though, there were some nights where I passed out with the game on. I did have to avoid certain battles, and evel up elsewhere before I could confront those enemies again. Im just about to meet Gareth and the Seekers.
You have an infinite source of "source" in one of the secret caves of braccus rex in fort joy so you can use some spell all the time you want but some other spell have limitied number of use because they are provided by special objects.

I'm at 35 hours and berely escaped from the island but i miss at least one big side mission (the maze).

My party is composed by:
Fane with pyro, geomancer and necromancy so a good mix of phisical and magic attack
Red prince high damage tank with a little of pyro in the mix
Lohse with hydro magic for attack and support and some powerfull summons
And my original pg with a mix of thunder, polymorph and physical skill.

The freedom of approach with everything (combat, discussion with npc, exploration) is staggering.

It's my pc goty for this year.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You have an infinite source of "source" in one of the secret caves of braccus rex in fort joy so you can use some spell all the time you want but some other spell have limitied number of use because they are provided by special objects.
I heard they patched that out? Because I saw no source puddle in that cave.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So can you move spells around/unlearn them or are you stuck with them? I am thinking along the lines of if/when I respec characters who have spells they no longer need. Also how this changes buying books and for who! I just got to Driftwood and am low on cash!

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Hey all - I just built a new PC and picked this game up. I've put about 12 hours into it in two days and I'm loving it. However, its been a loooong time since my last pen-and-paper-style RPG. Like ... probably since Bauldur's Gate long. Closest since those days would probably be something like KOTOR which ... isn't very close.

Anyway, I only restarted once but I have some beginner level questions for any veterans in this thread.

1) I assume for your first playthrough an origin character is the way to go, right? I've picked Sebille.
2) I'm thinking my party will be a hybrid/mixed damgage group (since I'm new and don't know what to expect) and will look something like this:
Sebille - dual-wielding rogue/loremaster;
Lohse - ranger/barter;
Fane - caster (not really sure what kind yet as I've only just begun and haven't gotten any good skills yet)/ thievery;
Beast - two-handed tank/ not sure ... wits? can I work in wits on a different character? Not sure.
Is this a decent party setup?

3) If Fane is my only caster, would it make sense to make him my healer too? Will his being undead play nice with casting heals on others or do I risk suicide with every cast?

4) My friend told me I can respec after escaping the fort. Does this apply to skill books too/ can I unlearn things or am I stuck with those skills? Not quite sure how this will work so its making me gun-shy to commit to anything just yet.

Any advice from seasoned players would be great. I'm loving the game but am a bit overwhelmed. FYI - I'm only level 2 and am just beginning to explore Fort Joy. Got something called Migo's Ring which seems awesome early game. Have the option of confronting Stingtail but have held off so far. Have the option to buy skill books from two different vendors but have held off as well for now.

Please, I know this game is over a year old now but I just started it and have somehow stayed spoiler free so I'd like to keep it that way for the most part.

Dannerz

Dec 19, 2017
Bumping this thread. I have a lot of questions but this place is dead.

Anyone know if there's an ERA DOS2 Discord?

Not the place for discussing CRPGs in general (unfortunately).

1. Origin character is the way to go on first playthrough.
2. Experimentation is key, you can respec anytime in act 2. That said, Rangers are great physical damage dealers, and having a conjuror to conjure incarnate is very helpful to use as a disposable tank.
3. It's a good idea to have at least a point or two in Hydrosophist on someone (however much is required for healing spells).
4. Skill books are pricey and aren't retrievable after respec. So try and steal them.

Play on classic, don't try and do everything, don't worry about missing stuff.
Just have fun.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Hey all - I just built a new PC and picked this game up. I've put about 12 hours into it in two days and I'm loving it. However, its been a loooong time since my last pen-and-paper-style RPG. Like ... probably since Bauldur's Gate long. Closest since those days would probably be something like KOTOR which ... isn't very close.

Anyway, I only restarted once but I have some beginner level questions for any veterans in this thread.

1) I assume for your first playthrough an origin character is the way to go, right? I've picked Sebille.
2) I'm thinking my party will be a hybrid/mixed damgage group (since I'm new and don't know what to expect) and will look something like this:
Sebille - dual-wielding rogue/loremaster;
Lohse - ranger/barter;
Fane - caster (not really sure what kind yet as I've only just begun and haven't gotten any good skills yet)/ thievery;
Beast - two-handed tank/ not sure ... wits? can I work in wits on a different character? Not sure.
Is this a decent party setup?

3) If Fane is my only caster, would it make sense to make him my healer too? Will his being undead play nice with casting heals on others or do I risk suicide with every cast?

4) My friend told me I can respec after escaping the fort. Does this apply to skill books too/ can I unlearn things or am I stuck with those skills? Not quite sure how this will work so its making me gun-shy to commit to anything just yet.

Any advice from seasoned players would be great. I'm loving the game but am a bit overwhelmed. FYI - I'm only level 2 and am just beginning to explore Fort Joy. Got something called Migo's Ring which seems awesome early game. Have the option of confronting Stingtail but have held off so far. Have the option to buy skill books from two different vendors but have held off as well for now.

Please, I know this game is over a year old now but I just started it and have somehow stayed spoiler free so I'd like to keep it that way for the most part.

so

1) i went with a custom two times because i wanted to do 1custom+3origin
2) pure roles are not really advised imho, you're limiting your characters. My tankiest char was Lohse, 1wand+Shield Healer/support, Hydro, Poly, Aero and Int/Con + Memory (every point in Poly gives you a additional stat attribute) to have more spells. Another example, the archer like any PhyDamDealer benefits from points in Warfare cause it scales PhyDam by tot%, so to mine i give him a spear (that scales with Dex unlike other melee weapons) and Warfare skills to drop him in close combat if needed or if someone goes close to him.
You're still early on, by act 2 game will open up more possibilities. Mobility skills are really important too and
4)by the time you leave Fort Joy island you can respec anytime you want, everything, even appearance.
Skills are learned and you consume the book, you can't unlearn them you just remove them from the active slots.
For acquiring books and equip, especially early on you won't have much money, but you can steal or kill...
reminder that you can only steal once from one NPC with each of one your characters

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
so

1) i went with a custom two times because i wanted to do 1custom+3origin
2) pure roles are not really advised imho, you're limiting your characters. My tankiest char was Lohse, 1wand+Shield Healer/support, Hydro, Poly, Aero and Int/Con + Memory (every point in Poly gives you a additional stat attribute) to have more spells. Another example, the archer like any PhyDamDealer benefits from points in Warfare cause it scales PhyDam by tot%, so to mine i give him a spear (that scales with Dex unlike other melee weapons) and Warfare skills to drop him in close combat if needed or if someone goes close to him.
You're still early on, by act 2 game will open up more possibilities. Mobility skills are really important too and
4)by the time you leave Fort Joy island you can respec anytime you want, everything, even appearance.
Skills are learned and you consume the book, you can't unlearn them you just remove them from the active slots.
For acquiring books and equip, especially early on you won't have much money, but you can steal or kill...
reminder that you can only steal once from one NPC with each of one your characters

Not the place for discussing CRPGs in general (unfortunately).

1. Origin character is the way to go on first playthrough.
2. Experimentation is key, you can respec anytime in act 2. That said, Rangers are great physical damage dealers, and having a conjuror to conjure incarnate is very helpful to use as a disposable tank.
3. It's a good idea to have at least a point or two in Hydrosophist on someone (however much is required for healing spells).
4. Skill books are pricey and aren't retrievable after respec. So try and steal them.

Play on classic, don't try and do everything, don't worry about missing stuff.
Just have fun.

Hey thanks for the responses! Seems ERA doesn't have a big CRPG base so I really appreciate the advice.

I just hit level 7 and am about to go through the gargoyles maze. I showed him Braccus' ring and he teleported me to the end but somehow I messed up and got sent back to the begging. Idk it was like 3 am.

Having a good time so far but I'm trying to avoid save scumming other than hopeless combat scenarios.

Thanks again!

Dannerz

Dec 19, 2017
Hey thanks for the responses! Seems ERA doesn't have a big CRPG base so I really appreciate the advice.

I just hit level 7 and am about to go through the gargoyles maze. I showed him Braccus' ring and he teleported me to the end but somehow I messed up and got sent back to the begging. Idk it was like 3 am.

Having a good time so far but I'm trying to avoid save scumming other than hopeless combat scenarios.

Thanks again!

One more thing, if you get in over your head in combat don't hesitate to retreat (the boot icon).
You can always try the encounter again later after getting XP from elsewhere. Try and find combat encounters that are at your level or at most 1 level above your party. Two or more can be super hard to impossible. This is especially prominent when the game opens up and you are free to roam, there are usually encounters that are at your level, you just need to seek them out. (It ends up making you follow a sort of "intended" path of the designers when you follow the encounters that are at your level).

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's a good tip. Figured that out ASAP when I was trying to fight level 3 crocodilians at level 1. Haven't made that mistake again. I think I've been about 1 level above the majority of combat encounters so far. Playing on classic difficulty by the way.

I think I have about 25 resurrection scrolls now despite not buying or crafting any. That gives me some serious peace of mind.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is greatness. I just beat the Fort Joy bosses and that battle was something else.

I was getting stomped out, headed to the store and picked up gear that maxed my summon stat. Boy was I surprised by Incarnate Champion. That boy got busy!

RickPresk

May 15, 2018
Has anyone else struggled with Arx, I've absolutely loved the game up until this point but i'm finding it very difficult to get it finished, i'm not sure what it is but everything feels like a real slog?

Oct 25, 2017
I just came back on this game from hiatus (due to games backlog). And I want to know how do you connect with other players via online? Do I have to create a game host to enable it? I toggled a connection to "ON" and no one else is showing up. Is the online dead or what? I'm in Act 1, btw.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Scaling in this game is just so comically bad, level scaling and equipment scaling being the worse culprits. Every new map I come to is struggle city until you get gear that matches to enemy level in that map/area and then the game turns into a cake walk. Enemies basting off all my physical and magic armor in one attack on top of having to deal with the fact that you are usually outnumbered makes early parts of a map such a grind.

Gonna have to start being a right bastard if I wanna get out of this mess.....

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
In chapter 2 Gareth just seemingly disappeared and he didnt come back to the ship once I left to the nameless isle. Is he supposed to just disappear..? Also "burying the past" questline never triggered for me. Once I stumbled in Gareth's parents house, they were both alive and I helped them clear their house from the monsters. Never saw Gareth. Is a major character supposed to vanish or is this a bug?

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
Apologies if this has been asked already but what companions are considered the most interesting story wise? I'm planning to have Lohse as PC but what other companions are the most interesting?

Cheers

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
See I had only dealt with Sebille as the protagonist so maybe having agency over her makes it more palatable? Never had her as a party member.

Planning on doing another game soon, so maybe I'll give the prince a try.
Totally fair.

I still need to do a run with Fane at some point. I usually end up having a created undead in the party, so I've never bothered bringing him along. I just have a hard time leaving Beast and the Red Prince behind, which has made my past playthroughs kind of same-y...

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OK, here's the thing:

Red Prince is better than you, me, anyone really. He said so himself.

We all agree with this facet of life and everything goes well, aight?

Well maybe not well, but at least we avoid slavery I suppose!

Totally fair.

I still need to do a run with Fane at some point. I usually end up having a created undead in the party, so I've never bothered bringing him along. I just have a hard time leaving Beast and the Red Prince behind, which has made my past playthroughs kind of same-y...

To be fair I've only beat the game once. I've started a couple new playthrough with different parties but then I think "Jesus, I have like 300 other games to play" and drop it. Haven't even messed with custom characters yet - does it feel hollow compared to the official ones?

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Well maybe not well, but at least we avoid slavery I suppose!

To be fair I've only beat the game once. I've started a couple new playthrough with different parties but then I think "Jesus, I have like 300 other games to play" and drop it. Haven't even messed with custom characters yet - does it feel hollow compared to the official ones?
As long as there's only one in the party it feels fine. Just sort of puts you into that mindset of "Oh, this is a completely blank character whose personality and backstory I can make up as I go." The dialogue options give you plenty of directions to go with it.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
New patch is live and it comes with some cool stuff!

qzmxgchbkvk21.jpg

Fellow Godwoken,

We're pleased to tell you that our latest update is now live, and it features our first Gift Bag of free content for Divinity: Original Sin 2! Working in cooperation with Fool's Theory and Anshar Studios, we have created new visual options for your characters. There are new faces for each race, more hairstyles, and additional facial features for you to use when creating a new character. You can also respec your existing characters using these new options by using the Magic Mirror aboard the Lady Vengeance.

We have more Gift Bags planned for this year, and the treats inside will continue to enrich your adventures in Rivellon. We will have more information about future Gift Bags for you soon, and we can't wait to see what you do with them.

In addition to today's Gift Bag, in this update we have also addressed issues with fast-traveling to the Lady Vengeance, Sir Lora incorrectly absorbing Source, and some minor audio and visual issues.

Happy adventures through Rivellon,

Larian Crew

Full patch notes below:

Updates:
- Added new Character Creation assets
- Mac Pro 2013 now supported
- MacOS 10.14.4 introduces a fix for Apple Gamecenter lobbies

Bug Fixes:
- Fixed a rare crash when joining multiplayer games with certain mods
- Fixed save file compatibility issue
- Fixed an issue with using the Swornbreaker in multiplayer games
- Fixed issue with player fast-traveling to Lady Vengeance
- Fixed Dashing June not taking gold from player inventory
- Fixed Sir Lora incorrectly absorbing Source
- Fixed the Frozen Family incorrectly initiating combat if defrosted in a certain way
- Fixed issue with Malady not appearing on the lower deck in some situations
- Fixed issues with players not receiving Seascape and Liberator achievements
- Fixed issues with The Gargoyle's Maze quest not appearing in the Journal under certain circumstances
- GM: Fixed issues with certain children missing faces and limbs when switching torsos
- Fixed minor visual and audio issues
- Fixed some dialogue issues
- Fixed UI cutoff in Spanish

https://divinity.game/en/node/116

The base game was OK in terms of character creation, but a bit lacking as well. I haven't looked at the new options yet, but hopefully all races received some nice, new options.

Nov 25, 2017
Just finished the Definitive Edition after 140ish hours in classic difficulty with Ifan as main, Sebille, Lohse, and the Red Prince. Fittingly, the game crashed after the epilogue, before (I presume) credits are supposed to roll.

Overall I'm torn, the game is super ambitious, has a good story, and it can be exhilarating to squeeze a narrow win out against a bunch of enemies two levels above you. On the other hand the game is incredibly poorly balanced. There are just so many impossible bullshit fights, forcing you to exploit the systems however you can, forces you to min-max, and sort of forces you to save-scum (which is encouraged by the game anyway, as it lets you save in battle). I guess in easy mode it might be more accessible, but on default difficulty it is a mess - especially since it's also impossible to grind.

So I guess my final judgement would be that the game is good, but there are too many annoyances to call it great or a classic. When I play an RPG with that high a metacritic score, I have usually much more fun, and therefore the game, despite being good, is ultimately disappointing.

P.S.
The ending was so badly designed. The way I played Ifan it was clear that he would not want to sacrifice himself. So I tried to win for hours the battle, killing everyone but Braccus and Dallis, and would always get screwed when the final phase started.

So I thought fine, let's get this over with, I sacrifice myself so I can get this game over with. Battle with everyone on your side is trivial, took me 5 minutes to kill Braccus and win.

And then, inexplicably, I still have the choice to ascend? Meaning the whole super difficult battle against everyone is pointless, as you can ascend regardless? This makes no sense whatsoever. At first I thought I had hit a bug, but apparently it's designed this way.

So Ifan ascended, despite not being able to beat the final battle against everyone. The world was pretty miserable, but at least the Red Prince had lots of cute baby dragons. The end.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Concluded my first playthrough on Classic difficulty with Red Prince leading Beast, Fane, and Ifan. What a delightful red-scaled chap. I appreciate the solid world-building for most characters and there's some brilliant voicework on display.

I loved that fact that players needed to use Loremaster while finding ways to harness things like Deathfog to fuck with enemy encounters. Exploration was fairly fun and interesting. Discovering a sizable number of enemies have 6-7 AP each and with even higher Loremaster rank than your entire party? Not so much. I couldn't fucking believe every possible enemy encounter knew that Fane was undead and vulnerable to healing effects.

Parts of the gameplay balance and design are honestly loathsome. Arx sucks as a 'city' and final act, good luck rocking up there at lvl 17 since the design + layout of Act 3 funnels you through to the Academy. The crafting UI is utter shithouse too. Party not sharing best discount values during a trade and being unable to move items among the characters there? Come the fuck on.

Sometimes, it's also the little things such as the absence of X and Y coordinates on the main map page (appearing only on the mini-map instead). There's some moments of creative satisfaction however, like stacking some boxes to block the Blackpit cave camp entrance and teleporting (braindead) Gwydian out of the fire voidling fight.

I came away from this not interested in another run, but it was a decent ride at the least.

That exposition dump from the Dallis twist reveal was really galling. The stakes are heightened and this father-daughter "reunion' decides to rock up with lengthy dialogue to fuck that.

Felt like the Act 4 was a significant drop off in quality, regardless of the Definitive Edition improvements. I'm sure the resurrecting consulate lizards would have had many yelling in frustration. There's far too many instances of "find this hidden/secret opening trigger!" Finally, the pipe puzzle in Lucian's crypt really looked like Larian running out on creative fumes. I think it would have made more sense to swap Act 4 for 3 for better pacing and tone, though having the rug pulled out under you at 3's end was a decent twist approach.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
So I am at the
Harbinger
and he just has a permanent evasion buff ...do I just have to respec to magic to beat him?

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Man there so some insufferably terrible design decisions with some of the quests and the level design. Like why am being forced to do this shitty "puzzle" after clearing the arena of the one that isn't even a puzzle but penalizes you with having to reload your save because your characters can easily be stuck in a petrify death loop.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
This game is hell if you are suffering from severe alt-itis. I constantly find myself starting over because one of the other races/classes always looks more appealing than the one I am playing as. It doesn't even make sense in case of the classes, since you aren't bound to one to begin with (plus you can freely respec later).

This way I will never get past Act 1.

At least the new character creation options are nice. I appreciate the new hair options for female elves in particular.

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
This game is hell if you are suffering from severe alt-itis. I constantly find myself starting over because one of the other races/classes always looks more appealing than the one I am playing as. It doesn't even make sense in case of the classes, since you aren't bound to one to begin with (plus you can freely respec later).

At least the new character creation options are nice. I appreciate the new hair options for female elves in particular.
I know just what you mean. I made it through act 1 with Sybil and then ditched her at the beginning of act 2 for Lohse. But act 2 is much, much worse than the beginning because the game lets you re-spec all of your party and even change their appearance as much as you want. So many possibilities.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

But act 2 is much, much worse than the beginning because the game lets you re-spec all of your party and even change their appearance as much as you want. So many possibilities.
Yeap it took me awhile before I was comfortable enough with my looks and build before truly getting started. No matter how much you plan your build out, you'll always have the urge to try out a different build because you saw some cool mage spell used by the enemy.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I know just what you mean. I made it through act 1 with Sybil and then ditched her at the beginning of act 2 for Lohse. But act 2 is much, much worse than the beginning because the game lets you re-spec all of your party and even change their appearance as much as you want. So many possibilities.
I can see myself respeccing a ton, haha. One thing I have to let go of with this game is the thought that I have to min-max my stats and my skills. Like the game would be unplayable with an even slightly subpar build. Which is nonsense of course.

Yeap it took me awhile before I was comfortable enough with my looks and build before truly getting started. No matter how much you plan your build out, you'll always have the urge to try out a different build because you saw some cool mage spell used by the enemy.
Very true. It doesn't help that no matter what you do, there is always stuff you will miss. So I am constantly tempted to restart and see if I have other, better options.