• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
That is going to be HUGE for the Technika missions where the final song would differ depending on if you got an odd or even numbered combo. No more dealing with replaying all the previous songs just because you accidentally got an even or odd combo when you wanted the other.

Also awesome we're getting even more patterns, 2 free songs, & a bonus 3 songs if you have 2 or more DLC packs. Would be awesome if they kept this for future DLC. That's an additional 5 songs on top of the 20 in the new DLC pack.

& as usual, there'll be one new Respect song + new UI & gear.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely feels like you get quite a lot of bang for your buck for the DLC. This game continues to be the one game that I keep going back to for repeated playthroughs. So good :)

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Woooow i'm so glad PDM is IN ! I love that song :

Oh shit, I completely forgot about this! Such a great song!

Also, guess it's worth mentioning that they announced some OSTs, one being a "Best of" collection with 22 songs & is the first volume, which'll be "released globally soon." There's also 2 volumes of Respect music, & you can see the track listings for all 3 CDs here. Though no word on actual dates, price, or where you can even order them.

Did a search on Spotify and it looks like these soundtracks are up!

https://open.spotify.com/artist/3qaLqaHO6nsPtaT0hvXB53?si=pn9Cr9iuSYuobhON7Sniaw

Respect Vol 1 is a little weird at the moment. It loaded before but now it doesn't.

Last edited:

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Need new music now. It's been 3 weeks...ha. Got another 2 month wait yet, I reckon.

Anyway, here's the Black Square songs coming our way. Easily the strongest line-up yet, but then it is my favourite game in the series, so YMMV.

Ask the Wind ~Live Mix~
Beat U Down
Colours of Sorrow

Cypher Gate
Desperado
Fermion

Fever Pitch Girl
Get Down
Get Up
Grave Consequence
Heart of Witch
In My Dream

Keys to the World
Lovely Hands

PDM
Proposed, Flower, Wolf ~Part 2~
Ready Now
Real Over Drive
Relation Again
River Flow
Ruti'n
Secret World

Space of Soul
Super Lovely
Yo! Max!

Guessing maybe 3-5 of these will be held back for a future pack, going by the song counts in the current DLC packs

So I'm legit pissed at Space of Soul, Super Lovely, Get Up etc not being there, but the pattern is that only songs that showed up in Black Square first are in the pack. I'm just really really really hoping the DJ Max Online stuff doesn't get forgotten about.

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Best DLC. Also really appreciate the tweak to mission mode - it's how it was in previous games (definitely Trilogy and Portable 3 at least) and as someone who has a tendency to fuck up in the third song of a four song mission it'll make things much easier.

Free tracks ore obviously cool, not sure how I feel about the link disc thing. A nice extra for someone who has all the DLC but does feel a little scummy - I suppose that's why it's only extended songs rather than new tracks.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Just got an update for the US version, 1.03. 6.328GB. Guessing this is the update that they just posted about.

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
Been playing with the update and it's great (Always is such a fun song), aside from the fact that it seems to have introduced a bug which resets all the BGA's to max brightness. It's fine once you set it back again, but it's a liiiiiittle annoying being momentarily blinded when I start a new song. Looks like ANALYS is the new Respect song bundled with the BS DLC.

Also, not sure if it's new or not, but you can also now have your current rate displayed over the top of your gear in free style, like in certain mission stages.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn, trophy data for Black Square AND Link Disc are up. Link Disc has three trophies, all of which are bronze, & BS has 7 trophies, with 5 bronze, 1 silver, & 1 gold. Surprisingly no "watch hidden BGA" one.

Also the new gear & note skin is for Fermion.

No idea what "cleared a 100 pattern BLACK SQUARE song with MAX COMBO" means. Clear 100 charts with max combo?

Got Here in the Moment & Son of Sun long versions, gotta wait for Black Square DLC to get Airwave.

Bummer, so even if you already saw the hidden BGAs, looks like you gotta rewatch them to unlock them in gallery.

Sweet, just noticed that now the Mission Pack screen shows how many missions you've cleared underneath the icons.

You can only practice songs in missions you've played, but you can choose any of them, including the special charts like in Technika. Also switching between mission packs is much quicker now.

I want to say just play a song to unlock Always & Fly Away, the 2 new songs, but I also full combo'd Son of Sun Extended, so not sure if that's related.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8197

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When they added CnP and Dreadnought they unlocked when you played any song so I assume it's the same this time.

Cool that they added accuracy rate as an display option.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap, yes, just noticed Display Rate in Equipment, that's a nice addition.

& I'm pretty sure you gotta redo a song with its hidden BGA & then full combo it again. Kind of annoying to get it to trigger again, especially for songs like Outlaw where it's harder to tell if you got the hidden BGA or not.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
After not playing for a few months, I decided to fire it up again last night.

I was never good at 8B but something clicked and I got through many songs on Normal. There's still some combinations that throw me off but I feel more comfortable than I ever was.

Still need 3 more songs to unlock (which involve 8B mode) but I've played every song (including DLC) on 4B normal. Just a small, personal goal I wanted to achieve but it did put into perspective how many damn songs are in here, lol.

Looking forward to BS!

Oh, and playing with headphones is amazing!

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap, I FINALLY got the Oblivion note skin. Guess it was either via play count (966, DLC will easily push it to 1,000) or reaching level 200. Feels nice to actually have all the equipment unlocked after all this time.

Still got 84/111 plates, 5 more comments to unlock, & 348/371 gallery. Really should get back to doing more 8B stuff since I've only cleared 52 patterns out of 100.

I like how it tells you if your going too fast or too slow when Display Rate is on. It's already help me adjust my timing on a couple patterns.
Just saw this, SUPER neat that it changes to say "SLOW" or "FAST", this has been a nice update with a bunch of QoL improvements.

Deleted member 8197

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The extend songs are intense man - I had no idea when they were going to end.

Can't wait for the DLC tomorrow, it really is the best pack. I might be biased though, as Black Square was my first DJMAX game.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
DAMN IT, how am I not able to full combo Starfish 8B on NORMAL?! It's only 6 stars & I've full combo'd 7 & 8 star songs, but for some reason, my brain just stops working near the end (after the slow part & when it builds up to the final lyrical part) & doesn't want to correctly hold buttons down. I know I need to press L1 while holding Left, but for some reason, I let go.

Also noticed that during 4B, my left thumb is moving around a lot more between left & up compared to my right thumb, which is able to hover more naturally over Triangle & Circle. That would explain why my left thumb hurts on harder songs while my right one doesn't.

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
Up in the JP store too.

Edit: got a feeling the trophies might be bugged for this DLC; I just max combo'd Jealousy on maximum difficulty and got the "Cleared a Black Square song 10 times in a row" trophy, but not the "Finish a Black Square song at maximum difficulty with max combo" trophy.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Nabbed the new DLC from the HK store (luckily had enough credit on my account). Can't wait to get stuck in later.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
One of these days, they can release a DLC pack on Tuesday when PSN updates normally & we won't have to constantly keep checking to see if it's finally up.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Okay come on, I know the store can be slow to update when it's not Tuesday but this is getting annoying to be honest.

Edit: I'm actually wondering what the holdup is. Shouldn't take this long to get it up on the store.

Last edited:

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
As annoyed as I am at the lack of DJ Max Online songs, fuck me how I'm reminded how the Black Square tracklist blows away all others <3

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
"Date: June 28th, 2018 (11:00AM UTC+9) ※ Time may vary for some countries."

So should've been, what, 4 hours ago? Not to mention, they said "Released Countries: All the countries included in the PlayStation Store", so that should've included the US.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
I'm convinced they screwed up somewhere on their end. It's out everywhere except the US so I'm wondering if someone forgot to submit it to the US store. Maybe we will see it tomorrow?

OP
OP
MattAces

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
Sorry won't be able to update thread for awhile. Internet completely dead from my pc.
Had to use my cellular data to patch the game. God damn this is easily my favourite dlc yet. New respect track is really good too

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Analys (by hayako) is a new track right?
Yes, it's the new Respect song with the BS pack. Always & Fly Away are the two new ones that're free & patched in.

Edit: Just hit me that we're probably not getting the pack until sometime tomorrow considering PSN has to update tomorrow with other stuff like the new Crash N. Sane level.

Last edited:

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
They updated on their Facebook that the DLC will drop tommorow in the US. At least they updated us.

"Due to a problem in the Playstation Store,
BLACK SQUARE DLC release date for United States has been delayed by a day.

We're sorry for the inconvenience, please wait just a bit longer.
Thank you."

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Figured. Ah well. Gives me time to quick swing by a store to convert my change into GS credit & then walk over the GS right close by to get a PSN card.

Alkuk

Feb 8, 2018
If I got this correct, practice mode is a joke. I can not practice songs that I have not normaly played in a given mission. And practice means ... playing one of the mission songs. Nothing more to it. You call this practice mode? Really?

What this game needs, at least for me, is a real practice mode where I can slow down the speed to 75 or 50% and do A-B section practice.
Can't stress this out enough. Devs, give us a real practice mode. This should not be so difficult to code. And makes the game accessible for more than just the hardcore players!
I don't get it, no music games now a days has this. Every musician is practicing slowly, because the progress is better, then doin it at full speed and that with less frustration.

I have more than 160 hours clocked in and more or less stopped playing by now, because I got no motivation to f**k up after 10-20 seconds - again and again.
I can play 6-7* on 6B and maybe some 8-9* on 4B. That seems to be the end for me.

And reading posts like "oh, I bought the game 2 days ago and can't play 12* on whatever mode", makes this not more encouraging for me.

Ok, that's enough rant. Thanks for reading and bye.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Ah man, you gotta play the SAME song from Black Square 10 times in a row. & holy crap, I finally hit 1,000 songs played.

Decided to update this post but with the new BS pack & additional free songs:

148 songs -> 217 songs -> 243 songs

4 Button: 316 patterns -> 496 -> 569
5B: 315 patterns -> 490 -> 562
6B: 389 patterns -> 573 -> 643
8B: 305 patterns -> 491 -> 563

Total patterns: 1,325 patterns -> 2,050 -> 2,337
So with the 26 additional songs, 287 more patterns got added for a grand total of 1,012 patterns added via DLC or patches.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
So "redesigned" for the RD Colosseum mission means "we swapped the key sounds around"

"& made Taekwonburi sound even WORSE"

Feels annoying that I can pass the 3 other songs, but then just just barely manage a 5x on the last song but fail it because 8B is a clluuussttteerrr

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
90% of the clucking noises are now burp sounds.

Honestly, all the songs in that mission kind of sound worse, with I Want You maybe being the least "bad" of the four.

Deleted member 8197

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was just about to post about that mission - the key sounds/charts being so different really throws you. Also failed on the last song because of the massive difficulty spike.

For the same song 10 times trophy I can confirm it doesn't have to be the same chart - I just played all the different charts for Get Down and it popped.

Anybody got the Link Disc missions to appear?

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
My understanding is that for Link Disc missions to appear, you have to beat both Metro Project missions, one from Clazziquai, & I think the other from Black Square. I beat the first one, but the BS one is 5B FX, and I blew it on Supersonic.

& yeah, hate how I seem to make it to the half way point, but I cannot for the life of me deal with all the shoulder button notes flying at you. I got a little better thanks to the retry feature, but ugh.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I've finally come to the conclusion I just plain suck at mission mode! Seriously, each DLC pack I swear I'll try harder and then I remember why I had so many problems in the first place! Still doing better than the 10* max combo clear songs, which I think I've done around 10 if that. That said, the gameplay on this game is so damn addictive, I could spend my life playing in freeplay mode and never get bored!

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the mission mode is easily the hardest part of the DJMAX games. Hell, I only completed 36 of the original missions, I needed the DLC to reach 50. With the DLC missions, I can usually only clear between 6 to 9 of them out of 12.

also screw xb missions, shoulder button notes are hard enough, but when i somehow gotta alternate between L1 & L2 or L1+R1 & L2+R2, my mind can't keep up.

Edit: Needed 985k for a mission, had 971k, aaaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhhh i am so out of my element today

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I usually average 4 missions per DLC pack. Got 22 of the main ones cleared. Assuming there are still a few more DLC packs coming, I may still hit the 50 target but its a long painful road for sure!

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
I just don't find mission mode fun at all, really. Kinda glad it isn't strictly necessary for song and gear unlocks - I've gotten almost everything in the game through playing freestyle and gaining levels.