Oct 27, 2017
They must be because I keep unlocking new missions that I haven't actually played up to. I think I have up through 3-2 unlocked at this point.
Damn, I got a ways to go for 6-6.
NB Rangers has a story. They're all hilarious, personally. Virgin Force is so very good!

End song was available in Black Square. I think you needed to reach the full credit reel in order to unlock it. Probably something like all SSS during Arcade or something absurd. BS was a hard game man... Harder than Respect, from what I remember.
I'm trying to figure out the story for NB, never really played them in the past. I also never played BS but heard about the difficulty.
Hello everyone,

Then a few super frustrating moments when trying out 5 or 6B songs, even the easiest ones. 10-30 seconds - game over.

Ok, I did not delete Respect for now. ;-)
I spent the last few days to focus on 4B alone. I can now clear 4 stars and some of the 5 stars 4B songs.
Looking at videos of some midrange-difficulty 6B songs, it looks unreachable for me to ever get this done.
Is it mostly subconscios muslce memory whats happening, because no one can actively read the notes at this rate, right!?

Why does no rhythm game of these days has a practice option with slow motion (paly with 75%, 50% speed)? It should be easy to implement?
Every musician is practicing things slow first. The games would appeal to a wider audience. Beginner would get some decent results and less frustration ... I will never understand this?

At veteran players: Would you suggest that I practice 4B until I can clear every song and then move forward to 5B or 6B?
Do you remember your first weeks or months with DJmax? The learning curve for you? The walls you hit?
I remember when I first bought DJ Max Fever and couldn't do anything and had that feeling like "damn I just wasted money on a game I suck at:(" but I kept at it and gradually got better. It took a few weeks I think. Muscle memory will definitely take over after a bit but you'll be able to read the notes at quicker paces with more playtime.

But I definitely feel you on the game not having a practice mode especially since this one is less forgiving than previous entries. I've one played 2 other releases of the game but stuck mainly with 4B so this time around I tried 5B and it was kicking my ass at first(you'll see me asking for advice earlier in the thread) but out of nowhere it clicked yesterday. Just stick with it and keep trying, but play the really slow slow songs at first anything with 125 and less bpm should help.

You'll get better quickly, keep at playing 4B cause that'll help you too as that's what I did. I'm still trying to complete every 4B song. Also the notes get "easier" to hit if you spend up the song as it spaces them out but they come faster.

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Since I've completed the achievement for 4B songs I've moved on to 5B and from the little I've played in that mode I recall Far East Princess being a pretty good song to help train your brain to flip the middle button's usage in your brain as you constantly have to go between using Square and Right. I thought it was a fairly "easy" song in 5B while still requiring you to mix up your button usage. I haven't tried the other song someone suggested earlier for helping wire your brain to 5B.

Last night I did more online and the first person that joined my room immediately set their difficulty to Maximum on an 8B song, I think it was 12 or 13 in difficulty. I hadn't tried one so I went ahead and matched it. They lost within about five seconds of the song starting up (I lasted about thirty seconds, heh). I don't know why you would go and pick something so difficult if you can't come close to managing it! I picked a one star song 4B for them afterwards and they got through that with some breaks so hopefully they understood that they need to check out more of the lower difficulties.

Online has been fun but I mostly get beaten. Thankfully it still tracks your scores and combos so I can work towards other goals while losing. I only have around 75 more online matches to finish unlocking everything in there.

Last edited:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
So uh

did we not get any DLC today? Are they gonna just release all 3 packs at once at the end of the month?

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Tired out online for the first time today. I joined a room and wiped a guy 9:0 and then he kicked me out. After that, I made a room myself and then went 3:2 against another guy before he messaged me good game and took off.

Then I got floored 0:7 against someone who was clearly better than me. I tried to match him with his 13 level 6B pattern and I lasted about thrirdy seconds. I still had a good time and got to try some of the harder stuff.

I kept unlocking missions by clearing them. By the time I made it to the 5th set, all 6 of them were unlocked because I was doing them in order.

I've unlocked missions just by playing arcade and freestyle. I've only completed twelve missions and have the fifth set unlocked.

cosmicspooks

Oct 29, 2017
What has this game done to my thumb....last couple times I've turned it on I've been able to get through maybe one and a half songs before my thumb "nah man I'm out" and gets very stiff and slow.

I guess I get what I deserve. Those couple days of nonstop playing were too much for my poor frail body :(

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
My favorite is Far East Princess but I like playing a bunch of them. Black Cat, Glory Days, U.A.D., and many others are all just really great to play and I like the songs. Killer Bee is also pretty cool.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Currently suck at this game, but I'm getting better! I was stuck to 4* 4B songs yesterday. Now I'm up to 8* 4B songs, and 6* 6B.

Best rhythm game on PS4, easy.

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
I need more paul bazooka tracks, I can pray for future DLC to make this happen.

Also why no extra long tracks? It's perfect for home releases that don't need to abide by arcade length standards.

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Which one is Paul Bazooka? Is he the new Ninja something song or whatever? Video reminds me of the Astro Fight style.

I'm up to 58 matches completed online. Probably get the remaining 42 in the next couple nights. Been curious if any of the folks I've played against has been anyone from here but I suppose that'd be a pretty big coincidence. I also find it odd that there's a loading screen that says you can play locked songs online (I think that's what it says?) but I don't have Blythe and many others I've noticed. I'm assuming one of the two players has to have the song for it to be available and that's why some songs are still missing for me?

For those that played any of the other regions versions does the DLC also add any new achievements/goals? I know it adds songs, notes, decks, and missions but I'm going to feel gutted if it somehow adds more online match goals, haha. I'm not a big online gamer so getting all 100 completed is a big task for me.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
The guilty gear one doesn't, but the ones based on previous DJMAX games add about 7 trophies each.

Also yes, Kung Brother reuses characters from Astro Fight & I think it's the same artist who made both songs.

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
The guilty gear one doesn't, but the ones based on previous DJMAX games add about 7 trophies each.

Also yes, Kung Brother reuses characters from Astro Fight & I think it's the same artist who made both songs.
I was meaning the in-game achievements but it's nice to know they add trophies, too.

And I totally butchered the name of Kung Brother. I just recently unlocked it and haven't tried it yet. It's fair to say that I don't share the same sentiments about wanting more Paul Bazooka tracks as Temperance.

Alkuk

Feb 8, 2018
Just some thoughts of what I would like to see in this already great game:

- first and foremost: practice mode - oh man, this would be motivating! Play at 25-75% speed, mark your trouble section (A-B) and get better. Can not mention this enough. Hopefully more people here would like to have this and the devs will think aubout it. Hello devs, anybody reading this? :-)

- 2 more favorite-tabs - since there are so many songs, I would like to group e.g. "favorites", "to practice" and "no chance" ;-)

- online mode - a few more settings where you can configure what mode and difficulty is allowed

- save and show scores for songs you didn't cleared, but tried to - it would be nice for me to know, that I tried song X with a score of Y and got a game over after 83 seconds for example. Song could be marked as N for not cleared.

- save 2 settings regarding calibration - headphones and normal

- sort of progress bar and/or elapsed time/total time per song

Ok, that's my little wishlist :-)
Btw.: Will they continue to give us DLC after the 3 packages already announced?

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Will they continue to give us DLC after the 3 packages already announced?
They have said that they want the entire DAMAX library to be available through DLC. I'd be surprised if a new DLC wasn't announced the same day they reveal when the DLC gets released in the West.

Since we are talking things we'd like to see in the game, I'd like to see a optional rate display. It's there during missions that require a certain rate percentage but I'd like to the option to have it. Especially if I'm trying to at least aim for an S.

Last edited:

Alkuk

Feb 8, 2018
They have said that they want the entire DAMAX library to be available through DLC. I'd be surprised if a new DLC wasn't announced the same day they reveal when the DLC gets released in the West.
Sounds good, even if I don't know what "the entire library" contains :-)
Also nice they add trophies and missions.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good, even if I don't know what "the entire library" contains :-)

They have a lot of stuff in the pipeline I'd imagine. There's Black Square, Portable 3, the 3 Techinka Arcade releases, Techinka Tune, and then all their stuff on their mobile games (which I have no idea if there are any unique songs to those).

Oct 27, 2017
What has this game done to my thumb....last couple times I've turned it on I've been able to get through maybe one and a half songs before my thumb "nah man I'm out" and gets very stiff and slow.

I guess I get what I deserve. Those couple days of nonstop playing were too much for my poor frail body :(
I hear you, my thumb spazzes after too much like Midnight Blood or Blythe and it just quits.

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Other than a bit of Technika Tune I'm not familiar with the Technika song catalogue - pretty sure the one and only time I played an arcade machine it was just songs from the Metro project.

What do people think are some of the better Technika songs?

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
They have a lot of stuff in the pipeline I'd imagine. There's Black Square, Portable 3, the 3 Techinka Arcade releases, Techinka Tune, and then all their stuff on their mobile games (which I have no idea if there are any unique songs to those).
There's tracks that first appeared in Ray and Q, yeah. Deborah by Paul Bazooka was in one of the DLC packs for Q, hope it makes it in eventually:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--zyBWMuWi4

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Well damn, not only did I hit my 300th MAXCOMBO, but I also hit the 70% master score for 4B. Now I can go back to other button modes. Though considering I gotta get 200 more MAXCOMBO, I might do the charts I skipped due to being too easy.

Edit: HOW IN THE WORLD DID I FULL COMBO MULCH 4B ON HARD WITH AN A RANK.

Last edited:

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
Turns out my music sync calibration was a bit off, so I was wondering why my 100% tended to always be right above the blue line. Now things feel more natural. Maybe those perfect plays won't be so hard to get now...

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
*can't full combo Oblivion MX on 4B for some reason*

*gets full combo on Oblivion MX on 5B first try despite same 11 star rating*

......okay, then....

Meanwhile, level 81 & almost at 500k freestyle combo. Looks like I only have 3 more songs to unlock (Brain Storm, Sin -The Last Scene-, & Triple Zoe). Seems I've been unlocking songs out of sheer playcount.

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I can't for the life of me figure out why someone online picks something a difficulty that's too high, gets a game over, and on the next turn when they then have the song choice they again pick something else that they can't manage and get a game over very quickly again. I've had only a few game overs online and it's usually when I match difficulty with someone that seems to be urging me to but even then I'll only do it if I know it's on the edge of my threshold. Sometimes I make it, other times I'll get most the way before failing.

And on a similar note how does someone get beaten by 50k on a song and then picks something harder and suddenly beats me the next round (but then continue to get beaten badly for every round afterwards). Are there strange people that perfect one tough song and then have no idea how to handle anything else of similar difficulty?

That said I only have 14 more songs to complete online to hit all 100.

And Blythe must unlock by play count only? I looked through the achievements since I'm clearing out a ton of them but couldn't spot where Blythe unlocks. I really want that song! At least I'm close to getting Black Cat as I've been wanting that in my list, too.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's unlocked by clearing the 2nd mission in the 6th set. The one where you gotta play 3 random 4B songs in increasing difficulty. But I think play count works as well.

Sin -The Last Scene- is another mission unlocked song, WAY tucked away in the very last set of missions, the first one of the set.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
I just only now discovered I've been playing with bad calibration. Finally getting into some of the harder patterns I noticed that the notes weren't lining up with the judgement line correctly after wondering how I was messing up somehow on notes I thought I cleared. I just honestly thought my timing was off when I started playing.

Set the calibration to +2 and now it is smooth as butter. Dosen't stop giving me trouble seeing as I'm now breaking into the 9-11 range with 4B, 5B, and 6B. I'm also now doing 6-7 on 8B.

My only issue with 8B is that I wish the notes where a big more noticeable when you have to hit L1 with the left, up, right or R2 with the Square, Triangle, or Circle. It's messed me up quite a bit and other than that it's great.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Either I need to take a break or 8B just does NOT want to click with me. I feel like I'm making stupid mistakes that shouldn't be happening for how well I can do with 6B.

Also yes, the notes really need to stand out more when they're in front of a L1/R1 button. Technika 1's note skin is TERRIBLE for 8B since the Up/Triangle notes are pink, which makes things worse.

OH SCREW OFF, RANDOM 5B MISSION. "okay, so here's two easy songs on NM & HD that'll only get yout about 4500 out of the 7000 combo you need to clear the mission LOL NOW HAVE MULCH MX AS YOUR FINAL SONG"

Last edited:

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Just found out you get an S rank even with 97.99%. I always assumed it was 98.00% and up. Unless somehow behind the scenes the math was 97.995% or above and it rounded up but the screen cuts it off at 97.99%?

Anyhow, done with all 100 online matches with my last 14 played against someone AFK. I'm assuming they did so just to get the online matches and level up without having to be at the console? While I had to wait a minute between each selection and every song was done twice (my selection and then again since the other player didn't change song on their turn) it allowed me to pick the songs I wanted to play each time and I don't mind playing them back-to-back to work on improving.

I'm now done with 4B and 5B for the achievements. Working on 6B now and making easy progress there of the 3-6 star songs with S ranks for everything. I'll work on harder songs soon enough but I still need to finish the S rank achievement so I don't mind easier songs for now.

This game is just too good but I now hunger for the DLC. It can't come soon enough.

Deleted member 8197

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's near enough 3 months since the Clazziquai DLC came out, there has to be some news soon. I keep hopefully checking the Facebook page but no dice as of yet.

Deleted member 8197

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
140+ songs in the base game, most (all?) of which have 6 charts or more. Awful value for money.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
The only other rhythm game released this gen that has more music than this one is future tone

Voez (176) and Deemo (220) on switch says hello, both are cheaper!

140+ songs in the base game, most (all?) of which have 6 charts or more. Awful value for money.

yeah i guess it makes up for it! Personally i prefere more songs rather than more charts, but that's just me! I'll definitely buy it later

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
Actually if you like Rayark's games, you'd probably really enjoy DJMAX. Several of the same composers contribute, too.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017

yeah i guess it makes up for it! Personally i prefere more songs rather than more charts, but that's just me! I'll definitely buy it later
It also has the highest production values ive seen in a rhythm game. All songs key sounded, animated bgs, and tons of unlockables.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Buuuut those are ports of mobile games where there are song packs to drive up the price, but then got more reasonable pricing for console.

Not saying I don't understand why you don't feel like buying it at the moment, $50 for a digital exclusive game is usually way out of my price range (it has to be something I REALLY look forward to & know I'll like), & some would argue most of the songs aren't "new", I just think it's a little unfair to compared ports of mobile games to a developed-for-console game with all the videos remastered, a ton of charts due to the 4 different modes, so many unlockables, & is basically a giant love-letter to the series.

Glad you enjoyed the demo, though. Hopefully once it goes on sale, it'll be low enough for you to jump on in. I need to get Voez & try Deemo eventually, was planning on getting Voez once it releases physically since I enjoyed the demo.

Vorador

Oct 28, 2017
Its funny because it is 39.99€ on yurop which is actually much cheaper than usual. Just for example future tone bundle is 54€

And comparing this to Voez and Deemo is like comparing Kemco RPGs to FFXV. Production values are completely different, and price reflects it.

Charlie1701

Oct 28, 2017
I love Djmax and have been playing quite a bit in the arcade lately. So glad this got localised! I'm finding the inputs tricky compared to the touchscreen versions, but it's very rewarding with practise.

Working on 4 and 5 button tracks right now til I stop being such a scrub.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
A huge shame we never got another console IIDX game after 16/Empress. Apparently, that one goes for HUNDREDS of dollars considering it's a PS2 game released 3 years after the PS3's launch & doesn't seem like a ton of copies were made.

But anyways, finally been unlocking missions via playcount. Guess I got so far ahead that it took a while for more missions to unlock, but when I went to beat the mission I had unlocked, it didn't unlock another one, so maybe I have to beat another. I want to say you're allowed 6 missions that need to be cleared at the least.

Kumubou

Oct 25, 2017
I know that the missions are normally unlocked based on the number of missions cleared: 1 mission cleared unlocks 1-3, 2 missions unlocks 1-4, 3 missions cleared unlocks 1-5, and so on. When you get to a multiple of 5, it would normally unlock the next set and unlocks the first and second mission of that set (so completing 5 missions unlocks 2-1 and 2-2, 10 missions unlocks 3-1 and 3-2, and so on). I suspect that if you start unlocking missions from play count, you effectively won't get new missions from clearing them until you catch up.

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta admit, it's taking awhile to S rank and max combo every song on normal, so I haven't actually tried any of the Hard/MX difficulty songs yet. Agh, and getting used to 8 buttons is rough.

Dang it, I hate having my combo counter held hostage on a song in freestyle mode because I keep fucking up!

Last edited:

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
You should play Beatmania IIDX. Great series. Check a newer installment like 'Sinobuz' or 'Cannon Ballers'.

Easier said than done, unless you live in Japan or near a round 1.

A huge shame we never got another console IIDX game after 16/Empress. Apparently, that one goes for HUNDREDS of dollars considering it's a PS2 game released 3 years after the PS3's launch & doesn't seem like a ton of copies were made.

But anyways, finally been unlocking missions via playcount. Guess I got so far ahead that it took a while for more missions to unlock, but when I went to beat the mission I had unlocked, it didn't unlock another one, so maybe I have to beat another. I want to say you're allowed 6 missions that need to be cleared at the least.

Empress was so worth it. I finally bit the bullet and bought it from play-asia, and it was costly at launch.

Alkuk

Feb 8, 2018
Ok, this is a wall for me... 4B normal 6* Showtime1:30 and I'm done https://youtu.be/qcq_RctTEHE
I've tried numerous times and just couldn' t read anything past around 1:30. It's just chaos for my brain and hands. Playing at 2.5 speed.
How are you supposed to practice? Answer: you can't, cause ther is no option for a slowdown the song or anything. You can just try like an idiot and got smashed in the face again and again. That's my thought right now. Playtime overall is 40 hours.

I managed to get a C 4B normal Blythe with more luck than anything.
Can't complete Midnight Blood, Enter The Universe and everything beyond this difficulty.

So I think that's it for mr with DJmax Respect.
Motivation again near zero. Maybe this game is not for anyone but the hardcore.