• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you agree with it being $60?

• Yes

Votes: 1,248 47.9%
  • No, so I'm not buying it

Votes: 744 28.5%
  • No but I'm still buying it

Votes: 615 23.6%

• Total voters

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
It's a bit absurd to look at the monochrome Game Boy Link's Awakening, then the new Switch version and pretend like it's some sort of low-effort remaster you ought to get a discount on. It is, in terms of development resources spent, a completely new game.

If Nintendo made a complete 4K remake of Ocarina of Time, would it only be worth $30? Where's the arbitrary cut off here?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I could see myself using a voucher on it, but not $60 for what looks to be a 1:1 remake with mostly new graphics and QOL changes, no substantial new content (although dungeon maker seems neat). It's a great game, but I can instead play the one on my 3DS that I spent $3.99 on. Like I said in the other thread, these ports and remakes would be a lot more appealing to me at $40. But that's how Nintendo has chosen to do business so that's that.

Oct 30, 2017
The Brilliance of the Switch is that they get to charge $60 for a game that would have been $40 if the Switch Lite had been the only available Switch SKU.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
You can compare games all day and say this is worth it and this is not. Any game becomes not worth it with that mentality, so as it stands alone i'm gonna say yes. It's going to be an incredible game and everybody knows

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting to buy it since I'm currently bereft of excess income, but it'd be nice if it went on sale by the time I did. $80 CAD for a Gameboy remake is too much.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's a bit absurd to look at the monochrome Game Boy Link's Awakening, then the new Switch version and pretend like it's some sort of low-effort remaster you ought to get a discount on. It is, in terms of development resources spent, a completely new game.

If Nintendo made a complete 4K remake of Ocarina of Time, would it only be worth $30? Where's the arbitrary cut off here?

I personally think $40 is a fine cut-off since that is what the Spyro and Crash remakes sold for, but I understand the LA remake will be valuable enough to most people to drop $60 on it.

farcrysam

Prophet of Regret
Nov 1, 2017
I never played the original. But I'm taking a leap of faith and I already pre-Loaded it on the Eshop

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
It's bad value to me for it being an exceptionally short game and I think puzzle solving games especially lose a lot of enjoyment in remakes when you already know the solutions.
That said I really enjoyed LA and would like to play it remade, if this was on another system I'd wait until next year for it to drop in price but that's of course not likely to happen with Nintendo games.

So, I feel I'm stuck between buying it and feeling a bit icky for spending so much or not buying it and missing out on something I'd enjoy for 7 or 8 hours. Not sure which I'll do.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the price is particularly unreasonable, the aesthetics are excellent and the original game is fairly big, but I'm not buying it because I played Link's Awakening DX recently enough on 3DS that I don't have any need to play the game in a new format.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't really understand the "it's a remake so it should be cheaper" mentality. It's not a remaster, it's not a port, it might as well be a completely new game.

Brb, going to spend 3/4 of the price on a movie ticket to see Lion King since it already came out in the 90s. Oh wait............

If anything, other companies should be looking at this and questioning why they're charging less for THEIR remakes. If the answer is because no one would pay full price for something like say, the Spyro trilogy - well maybe that says more about the value of what you're buying rather than how much it costs. If people will pay 60 for a Link's Awakening remake, maybe it's because they deem it worth that much.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Never played the original as I was never big on gameboy at the time so it's an easy $60 purchase for me.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
I think the work they are doing is worth the 60$, especially for a generation that has never played this. Now, that being said, I've played this multiple times over, it's one of my favorite games ever, for me is this worth 60$, I don't know, it's an amazing game, the work they are doing is incredible, it is a short game though. The new shop they put in to make dungeons will add to that, I hope they mix things up a bit. Move Shell locations, maybe add a few new trade items, I don't think they'll do that, but that would help me lengthen the game, totally making it worth the 60$ asking price. I'm just afraid of plowing through this because I know how it works, hoping there's stuff for older players as well. Hope that makes sense.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I don't have a Switch, but if I had one I'd get it day one. It looks fantastic. As stated in the previous thread, yes $60 is more than other companies charge for their remasters but it's pretty much a fully new game for most Switch owners

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't agree with the price, but I'm buying it because I still want to play it. Bought physical though so I can resell when I'm done.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
The amount of work put into it is worth the 60 bucks. I don't care if it's a remake or a new product, you can tell they worked hard on it.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Of course, it looks amazing.

Why arent you making threads on NBA2K or Fifa or Madden being $60 every year

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yes. I think it's fine.

People are upset because it's a remake? I'm not sure how that makes them think it shouldn't be priced like a new game. It essentially is.

Then again people bitched about Octopath Traveler being full price for some bizarre reason, too, so I'm not surprised.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
I would prefer for cheaper, but it sounds like a solid enough remake to get the $60 tag
the WiiU port on the other hand, those should be cheaper

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Personally the value doesn't justify the price for me.

I already own Link's Awakening on Gameboy. They're not adding much to this game other than audio-visually, and I just don't think I'm willing to pay $60 mostly for audio-visual improvements. It's also a pretty short game, and while length and price don't always have to correlate, I think in this case it's holding me back.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
If it's the same length as the original (plus the randomizer thing) I don't think it's worth it.

I know the game like the back of my hand, so I'll be waiting on a used copy or a price drop

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Originally I was sure that it would have been priced 50€, but I was wrong. However, it is a remake and not a simple remaster, so they have all the rights to put it at 60€ - fortunately, anyway, I am getting it at 44€, even though I will have to wait for at least 5 days after release to play it, but saving 15€ is worth the extra waiting

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I'm getting it and I think it's worth $60, but it is strange being the same price as BotW.

I think $40 would have been more appropriate, with it being a remake and the fact that some of Nintendo's games would have been $40 if the machine was handheld only (Pokemon included).

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was curious about this, so I looked up inflation between 1993 (original release), 1998 (DX), and 2019 (today). Turns out that the $40 Link's Awakening would have proportionally cost $71.02 today, and the DX version $62.96. It's just kind of a funny example of how while Nintendo works hard to use price expectations to their advantage in keeping their releases full price, it's worked against them (and the industry as a whole) in the long run since the consumer mental sweet-spot is stuck on $60 as the price of a video game.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's a full remake right? Maybe it should be a little lower, but it seems like all Nintendo games are being priced around $60 regardless of whether they'd normally be a handheld title, so to me unless you want to ask the question about that larger issue, then yeah it's fair.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldn't it be worth the asking price? It's a full on remake, not a port/remaster/up-res.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I'm getting it and I think it's worth $60, but it is strange being the same price as BotW.

I think $40 would have been more appropriate, with it being a remake and the fact that some of Nintendo's games would have been $40 if the machine was handheld only (Pokemon included).
In Europe, BotW and Smash cost 70€ and, if I remember corretly (but I am not 100% sure), also in Japan they cost more.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I seems somewhat overpriced. But I'll most likely end up biting anyway, since Nintendo never really put their games on sale for a good price.

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
Ouch, I didn't realize it's gonna be 60 bones. Guess I'm gonna wait to find it at discount/on sale.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The original is a great and truly well designed game. The remake has gorgeous and modern production values.

So yes?

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I'm buying it for $60 and have no problem with that price point.

The original is one of the best games of all time and this remake's visuals and soundtrack are, so far, super on-point. There's also the addition of the custom dungeon thing, so that counts for something as well.