• No, so I'm not buying it

Votes: 744 28.5%
  • No but I'm still buying it

Votes: 615 23.6%

• Total voters

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Yep, I checked on the eshop (to see what the MSRP is) and in Europe, BotW and Smash are both 10€/10£ more expensive. It's also the case in Japan, but I don't remember the exact numbers as their prices are way less fixed. It's weird, but the US eshop has BotW and Smash at the same price as the others, don't know why
Here the 70€ price was kind of "normalized" during the 360/Ps3 time. During the first years, some AAA games were 70 and it was kind of normal. But for some reason the standard AAA price returned to 60. Even so, big games like Zelda or Smash can be a little more expensive, the same way Mario Maker, Astral Chain, Fire Emblem and other "smaller" Nintendo games can be found easily between 45-55€ at launch, even cheaper if you want to invest time searching.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if I'd buy it at full price but because of the voucher program I've decided to get it. Buying the vouchers with discounted eshop gift cards takes a decent percentage off

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I mean, I never said that I thought Breath of the Wild and Link's Awakening cost the same to make - but Breath of the Wild isn't a modern indy game either, so I don't really understand how your post answers my question.

It'd be better to compare something like the Link's Awakening remake to say, Celeste, or Blossom Tales, or Hollow Knight - etc. - and yes, it looks like it has a way higher production value than those games do lol. I'm not saying that Link's Awakening cost as much as Breath of the Wild, but it's totally Nintendo's prerogative to charge as much.

I'm sure Splatoon 2 didn't cost as much as Breath of the Wild either - does that mean it should cost less to buy?

That is indeed true. I'm just saying we should do a better job at charging for games overall.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Nintendo does this all the time with titles like Kirby Star Allies, Mario Tennis Open, and yes, Link's Awakening...but then sells those games at the same $60 AAA price point as the high-end AAA crowd.
Yep, but the issue doesn't lie with those mid-tier title's price.

AAA games shouldn't cost 60$, it's insane how cheap that is compared to their cost. That's why MTX exists as they are currently. imo games like Assassin's Creed Odyssey or RDRII should cost at least 80$, if not 100$. But this isn't something that the market can accept, people are used to their 60$ games (or 20$ if you wait a couple of months...). But that's simply unsustainable

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Despite what Nintendo wishes us to think, there is a MASSIVE quality disparity from one Nintendo title to another. So much so that I don't automatically expect to feel good about any Nintendo published game purchase. You have BotW, which I spent 200+ excellent hours on, and then there's Mario Odyssey, which I spent 15 average hours with. Links awakening is a 15 hour game, maybe a little more if the dungeon editor is good. But I expect to enjoy it more than most Nintendo titles, and it's a pretty big nostalgia sweet spot for me. So I'm using a $50 voucher on it. I would feel good about paying $40 for it, but I can bump $10 for nostalgia. If I had never played the original, it would be a $40 game absolute tops. Cutesy 2D games aren't worth $60 any more. I wish Nintendo would be more aggressive with their budget 2D pricing and reach for a wider audience from day 1. There are many $60 Nintendo games that I want to play but skip due to poor value. The Nintendo brand of 'whimsy and polish' isn't worth $60 alone. Everybody polishes these days and there are tons of whimsical games on every platform. Nintendo is at it's best when it's inventing core games for everyone. Titles like Splatoon and BotW.

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
I don't own a Switch and I have no interest in Link's Awakening, but it should be whatever price Nintendo wants.
If it were $100 or $10 I don't mind, it will fail or succeed based on the will of the consumer.

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
I preordered and paid £50 for it
I think the price is valid. If it's not I'll just sell it without much loss anyway

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I got the DX version on the 3DS, was it part of the Ambassador program? Only played it for about an hour or 2 and it was cool as a portable game but it didn't really entice me to play it to completion. For the Switch, I don't really like the new artstyle and it seems to mostly be the same gameboy game with fancier graphics and not having to scroll constantly to a new screen. So I am not going to pay $60, I'd gladly buy it for $30-40, but as a Zelda game it wont get discounted beyond 10-20% within the next 3 years so I guess I'll either get it used or never... Realistically, I knew it would never be $30, but I thought it might have been a $40 title like Captain Toad or at least a $10 discount to $50.

Jan 29, 2018
The $60 price point started in 2005/2006 with the PS3/360 generation. That's 14 years ago. If that price point was adjusted for inflation (in the US) it'd be around $79 now.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
No, but I'm still buying it.

It's a 1:1 remake, with only an update to the visuals. The cost is not in line with how much resources was put into the game.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Annoyingly, 4 days before the game's announcement, I imported a 3DS and played through the entirety of Link's Awakening. I'd much preferred to have paid just $60 for the Switch release.

I won't be picking this up though.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Poll needed a "No, but I was never going to buy it" option. Sucks that it's 60 bucks though.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Yep, but the issue doesn't lie with those mid-tier title's price.

AAA games shouldn't cost 60$, it's insane how cheap that is compared to their cost. That's why MTX exists as they are currently. imo games like Assassin's Creed Odyssey or RDRII should cost at least 80$, if not 100$. But this isn't something that the market can accept, people are used to their 60$ games (or 20$ if you wait a couple of months...). But that's simply unsustainable

Yep. The cost of everything else in life has gone up but a luxury item like a game hasn't. We are lucky really. I would rather pay a bit extra and not have MTX if I'm being honest.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
38e for me on amazon.fr thanks to an error from them. But the game cost 46e everywhere in france.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I'm fine with it and it seems that most other people are too going by the poll results. The market will ultimately decide if it's a good price though and I suspect the game will sell just fine.

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
Even though game prices haven't gone up in years, even though it costs more money to make them + inflation? I guess devs shouldn't get paid and just make the game out of the kindness of their hearts.
Yes. In fact, if the game doesn't also come with food snatched from the mouth of every child of every member of the dev team, I ain't buying. I am literally a monster.

Beastie91

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Bay Area CA
Never played LA so I would definitely pay it but for the people who have I can understand why they wouldnt. Realistically tho when do we expect the price to drop for this like 5 to 6 years from now knowing how Nintendo is...

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
No, not all. A remake of GB 2D top down zelda shouldnt be the full 60 bucks.

Just like a link between worlds, that was $40 so this should be too.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's an insane pricetag.

As a fan of Z:LA on the gameboy, and someone who misses some of his old WiiU games (TF, MK8), this was going to be my breaking point and I was going to purchase a (new model) Switch along with those games.

But I nope'd out and will wait for some deals.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of the greatest games ever made and it's getting an amazing looking remake. Of course it's worth 60 bucks.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Id like it to be cheaper, but since I want the game Ill buy it, not during septermber because is stacked, but I prefer 2D zelda over 3D zelda, so I HAVE to buy this eventually

Yep

Dec 14, 2017
Strange, i swore i didn't see so much concern about the price of a remake of a short game at the beginning of the year when re2make was at 60$

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Whatever I think, this games price is not going down anytime soon.

I will get it day 1 because either way, the most discount itll ever get will be to 39.99. Might as well get it for 52 bucks with one of the discounts then wait months and still get it for 40+.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
It just doesn't look like it took all that much effort to produce when compared to other $60 titles. It's not that it's a remake, it's that it's a relatively low fidelity, simple assets remake, unlike a SotC or RE2.

It looks more like a $20-30 game in terms of work put in.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
The $60 price point started in 2005/2006 with the PS3/360 generation. That's 14 years ago. If that price point was adjusted for inflation (in the US) it'd be around $79 now.

Not only that, but video games were still like $40-50 in the 80s as well and there was a lot less media to determine what was good and what wasn't.

Games have never been cheaper than now.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
You can ask the question "Is X a good price for any Nintendo product/service" and the answer is always "no, but I'm still buying it"

That's why they can always charge prices that are generally higher than their competitors, or prices that never drop

They have us over a barrel. If you want Nintendo you gotta pay Nintendo prices. Where else you gonna get this Nintendo experience from fella?

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
I wish it was a little more ambitious in it's reimagining, but I have no problem paying full price for it. I appreciate MS and Sony charging $40 for theirs, but you also have to keep in mind those are largely the same game, just with graphical updates and general improvements. Well, besides Ratchet and Clank, but that also cut a decent amount of content and used scenes from the movie for a decent amount of the cutscenes.

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
You can ask the question "Is X a good price for any Nintendo product/service" and the answer is always "no, but I'm still buying it"

That's why they can always charge prices that are generally higher than their competitors, or prices that never drop

They have us over a barrel. If you want Nintendo you gotta pay Nintendo prices. Where else you gonna get this Nintendo experience from fella?
The idea that Nintendo games are ideal and singularly unique is ridiculous.
You shouldn't buy them if you don't agree with the price.
And I say this as someone who has no problem with their pricing but don't buy from them either.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It looks more like a $20-30 game in terms of work put in.

I'd love to see your working here. Do you know how many people worked on it and for how long? Or what tools were used?

It just doesn't look like it took all that much effort to produce when compared to other $60 titles. It's not that it's a remake, it's that it's a relatively low fidelity, simple assets remake, unlike a SotC or RE2.

The games you are talking about were already 3D games. This is a remake going from Gameboy to Switch. That is a massive difference going from simple sprites to full 3D models.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Of course. It's one of the GOAT Zeldas. Even the OG game puts most action adventure games to shame to this day gameplaywise. Now add the tilt-shift toy world aesthetic and it's a no brainer.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
People that are voting "No, but still buying it" are actually voting "Yes" on the only issue that truly matters here: supply and demand.

So at the end of the day, 75% of the voters on this thread agree with the $60 price point. If you disagree, the only way to meaningfully vote no is not buy it.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The idea that Nintendo games are ideal and singularly unique is ridiculous.

They not singular and unique, but where else are you going to get highly polished big budget 3D platformers and Zelda type games?

What about a game like Smash?

It's pay up, shut up, or play inferior/lesser indie games that borrow from those types of games

If you want shooters and open world games or pretty much anything else that's popular, you can get those experiences on PC, PS4, XB1 etc

If you want the kind of games Nintendo are really good at, you don't have a lot of choice

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Would like to play it but yeah the $60 turned me away. I'll grab it later at some point at discount.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I think it's a bit steep for a full graphical remake of a Game Boy game, even if it is the best Game Boy game and one of the better Zelda games. I'll probably buy it but maybe not immediately.

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
People that are voting "No, but still buying it" are actually voting "Yes" on the only issue that truly matters here: supply and demand.

So at the end of the day, 75% of the voters on this thread agree with the $60 price point. If you disagree, the only way to meaningfully vote no is not buy it.
I voted yes because a company has no obligation to set product at any given price but I am not buying it because I don't think it's worth $60.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
$60 for one of the greatest portable games ever made?
For me, it's worth it. But I do understand why some people are tilting their heads at the price.