Do you finish games to 100% completion more or less now than you did when you were younger?

• I 100% complete games less now than I did when I was younger

Votes: 635 54.1%
  • I 100% complete games about the same now as I did when I was younger

Votes: 132 11.3%
  • I 100% complete games more now than I did when I was younger

Votes: 157 13.4%
  • I've never 100% completed a game

Votes: 249 21.2%

• Total voters

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
This is something I've thought about recently because between the time I was kid up until the point of my late teenage years I would 100% complete most of the games I owned. Of course by this I mean I would beat the game, and then beat the post game quests/side missions/ game+/collect all items/ whatever it took to get the "100%" next to my save file which almost always required doing more than simply "beating the game".

Potential reasons why I no longer 100% games like I used to when I was younger.

*less free time as an adult
*increased backlog which adds pressure to finish one and move onto the next one ASAP
*more disposable income to buy games, which adds to the backlog
*lower cost of entry for games, which adds to the backlog (there are hundreds of really good games to buy in the $10- $15 range these days. This wasn't the case 20 years ago before the digital marketplace era.)
*It's just harder to 100% complete games now with DLC's and finding hidden items within massive open world games like GTA5, BotW, etc.

For me, basically it all boils down to the backlog I have now vs the non-existent backlog I had when I was younger. As a child, I could sometimes go months between getting a new game because I had limited income and all new games were $50 (which is like $70 when you adjust for inflation). For those reasons, I would fully exhaust just about all the content in the games I had. It was a simpler time, but in some ways I miss those days.

How about you?

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Ever since I got into Achievements/Trophies, I've been 100% completing games more than I used to.
It's a good way of keeping track of how much there is to do.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
For me it's all about if game is engaging enough for me to care to follow through all the way.

E.g. Outer Worlds just didn't keep me hooked for me to bother with final few missions where I couldn't put down Witcher 3 for almost 150 hours + 50-ish for DLCs.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
It's two things:

A) I have a lot more disposable income than when I was a kid, so more games in general rather than having to scrape the barrel of games I already finished twice for extra hours of boiler playe content. And,

B) Games nowadays are getti g bigger and bigger with more filler. Honest to god Dragon Age Inquisitions collectables killed the idea of 100%ing open world games for me anymore.

DrJamesOxford

Banned
Jan 3, 2020
I find myself 50% completing games less... so many games, less time and a bad habit of buying deeply discounted games

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Im completing way more games now. I used to play everything and jump between games all the time, never finishing anything. I now try not to do that as much. I completed Control and Death Stranding in January so far for example.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a working adult. Just finishing a game is good enough for me. Plus my backlog is ridiculous. Ain't nobody got time for 100%.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
It's probably less now because games tend to be much bigger. That said, I've always only 100%'d games I really like. My backlog doesn't really play into it either since I'm going for the RDR2 100% right now despite having Icebourne and a ton of other shit to play.

Jorjk

Banned
Apr 8, 2019
I buy less games but get complete them 100%. I now know which games I like and which grinds I can tolerate. When I was younger I bought way too many games, 2-3 full priced games per month, and did my best for the 100%. Now I am more selective, 1 game a month, but still do my best to 100% it. Right now I got sekiro need to acquire all skills and am 100% done. Nice topic btw thanks for posting.

Oct 30, 2017
If it's fun I will go for 100%. Which means I play less games than if I just beat them and went to the next one, but I personally find it gaming more fulfilling that way.

I rarely play RPGs though which are usually a chore to 100%. I would never attempt to 100% a Fire Emblem game, for instance.

Though these days games tend to have more and more modes which are minor variations of the main mode, usually different characters that barely change the gameplay. Thinking of stuff like Blaster Master Zero o Mighty Gunvolt Burst that have a ton of characters. In those cases I will beat it with 1 or 3 characters and call it a day.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some games I bought, enjoyed, and ended up playing less than an hour, because I don't have time. I have a full-time job, a young kid, a wife and two dogs. Ain't nobody got time for 100%.

OP
OP
perfectchaos007

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I never completed 100% in games aside stuff like Super Mario World and Crash Bandicoot 2/3.
It's funny you mentioned crash bandicoot because that game was a big inspiration for this topic. 25ish years ago I played the original trilogy on PS1 and recently bought the remaster on Switch. Back in the day on the PS1 I would go back after beating the game to get all the relics and emeralds, but when I played the remaster I quit right after reaching the credits. I Didn't bother to spend the time and energy going back to get those challenging relics/emeralds.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, these days it's remarkable if I stick with a game through the end of the campaign.

My completionist heyday was probably, like, ages 18-23 (I'm 31 now). Didn't go to college right out of high school, then meandered between working, not working, and going to community college, while devoting 80% of my free time to games.

My situation is decidedly more stable now, which leaves me less time/motivation to play. A large part of me wishes I could just go back to not giving a shit, lol.

Last edited:

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
It sort of went all over the place during the years for me. As a kid, I never finished games, because I sucked at them. Fast forward 15 years and when PS3 and trophies came around I 100% everything for the trophies (also being in college and having time helped). But that seemed like a chore so a couple years later I swung hard in the opposite direction were I just wanted play through as much games as possible. 52 games a year challenge etc.

But now just playing through games just to finish them also doesn't seem very fun. So if I'm having fun I'll boot up the NG+ or get some extra trophies. If not, I move on to the next game.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
I've never really given a shit about collectables so don't think I've ever 100% completed a game in that sense. I finish plenty but I don't think I ever have 100% since lists of collectables came into games of course.

I play til I'm bored and move on. That's my only goal ever

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think it's about the same, and it's pretty rare. I usually only 100% a hand full of games any given generation and it's usually just a passion thing — if I really, really enjoy it, then I 100% it. I play and enjoy way more games than I 100%, but going out of my way to do so is usually an indicator of above-and-beyond level of appreciation.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
Yes, much less often. But only because I can afford to buy more new games. My younger self didn't have this backlog.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I only 100% games I really really just want something more to do in because I enjoy the game that much, it's pretty rare to begin with for me

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I very very rarely go for 100% in any game.. I just dont find the appeal anymore. Also with a huge backlog it's easier to just skip an awful grinding part of a game to reach 100% to start a new game that you want to play.

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
Whether I 100% a game or not really depends on if I like the game in question enough to put in that extra time. I recently played Witcher 3 and got burned out on the game right after I beat the main story because of how repetitive and over abundant the dialogue is and the total lack of emotional range in the characters that aren't Geralt, Yenniffer, or Ciri.

DBZ Kakarot however has me hooked and I've already Platinumed it. The second I feel like I'm not fully enjoying a game, I simply aim to complete it and move on as fast as possible.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
If I ever complete a game 100%, it's only when I like it enough. When I play RPGs, I usually try to finish every quest, scan through every corner of the world, talk with every NPC, etc. When we are talking about achievements and trophies, I only try when is not so much extra hassle involved and gameplay itself is fun enough to convince me to spend additional time on doing required tasks. But when a game requires multiple playthroughs on highest difficulty levels or New Game+, I'm out. My gaming time is too limited to even bother.

MrWonderworld

Sep 18, 2018
I don't 100% complete almost any game really. It feels like a chore. To me it's enough that I complete the main story/game. Some games i invest more time in than others but not to the point of concerning myself over 100% completing them.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Yeah that ship has sailed for me, especially in RPGs. I finished up FFX HD for the first time last week and during a different time in my life, I would have totally gone after all the Dark Aeons and Penance. But no more.

I still 100% some games here and there, but it's rare.

GeometryHead

Oct 27, 2017
I complete fewer games now than I used to. I don't think I saw credits on more than one or two games last year (Control, and possibly something else). I used to go after platinum trophies, but that hasn't happened in a while. Life gets in the way, I don't play for a while, and then I don't feel like jumping into the game again, and I end up not finishing them.

hersheyfan