where do you stand?

• some republican views (pro life, for EXAMPLE ONLY but mostly liberal = im ok with)

Votes: 100 16.6%
  • Mostly republican, but strong hate for trump and did not vote for him=im ok with

Votes: 71 11.8%
  • just hate trump, dont really care about left/right either way, but fuck trump

Votes: 63 10.4%
  • hate em all without question doesnt matter who they are in my life

Votes: 409 67.7%

• Total voters

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
Well, my family are good people and they're all republican conservative types. Yes, there's a major disconnect between us, but we still love each other, even if we're not particularly close. We've all actually been pretty good about respecting each other's boundaries, I think in favor of keeping the peace.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
Only those at the very top like McConnell, Cheney, GWB and Trump. The rest like Lindsey and Gohmert are not worth my long term stress. The voters also fall in the latter category.

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
If they're supporting Trump right now they're enemies of mine. I still believe in change and personal growth though, so if they have a change of heart later on and begin to believe in more progressive causes, I'm not going to hold a grudge.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
My struggle is actually withholding and not wanting to lash out. I have not had contact with my family for approximately 9 years because of other issues which caused me to seek therapy to begin with. So my wife's family is all I have.

When talking with my wife, I am able to vent but I have had to realize that if i attempt to ostracize my in laws, I am in effect causing strife between my wife and her parents. And that is unfair to her.

Therapy is helping me to not internalize so much and to not allow external stressors dictate my mood or exacerbate my depression. I will say that i deleted my social media accounts before I started therapy. And that itself has been a huge change in terms of how I perceive the world on a daily basis. I was getting to the point where all I was doing was obsessing over every bit of negativity in my life. Getting angry at my wife's family just made things worse for me and no one else.

I hope things get better for you. Self care is so important and limiting negativity where you can is a good first step.

Yeah I'm basically the same exact way here. Appreciate it. Maybe I'll seek therapy as well because I may need to do this.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I don't cut people out because they are Republicans.

I cut people out because they are terrible people. Interpret that as you will.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Fuck em. Don't want to be around anyone who considers themselves a republican unless I absolutely have to like at work. Outside of that, I don't need them in my life.

Handicapped Duck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I have family that are Trumpers and I try not to talk politics for that reason. Not easy to really avoid family unfortunately.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
When I was significantly younger, I humored the idea that maybe there could be conservative ideals that were well-reasoned and justified, and that I just hadn't encountered them yet. That maybe an understanding could be reached in a peaceful and constructive matter.

But with all that I've witnessed across the globe and across societies in the years since then, that part of me is long dead. I am at the point where I would consider conservatism at large to be an existential threat, and the people who propagate such ideals to ultimately be enemies to humanity. Enemies to scientific understanding and progress. Enemies to the equality, safety, and well-being of both the majority and the most vulnerable members of society. Cowards that won't even acknowledge the depth of the human suffering they generate for profit, or worse, some perverted delusion of what they consider to be "good". Those that repent might be able to walk a path of redemption. Yes, many people are brainwashed. But it's hard to be endlessly patient with those that refuse to help themselves. As for those that remain comfortable reveling in such depths of depravity, well...

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
I've always said if you are a republican you are either ignorant or evil.

You either don't understand how they're destroying America and hurting millions of people intentionally (ignorant) or you do and you're okay with it (evil).

I'd like to think you can educate the ignorant, but one of the problems is that right wing media actually turns them into the latter and at that point there isn't a lot that education or appealing to reason can do. It's a large conspiracy theory where they can write off any evidence contradictory to their world view (which wasn't based on evidence in the first place so as if they ever cared about it) and drive everyone around them away until they have nothing left but the conspiracy, so they go all in on that.

I pretty much agree. I used to believe it was stupid, ignorant, or evil, but by now ignorance is not an excuse. And I lump selfish with evil when it comes to the Republican platform.

I can't. But we have a two party system. I'd probably have left tbh if my area wasn't a red district. Voting democrat at the local level is a waste of my vote because a democrat is never going to win. So I caucus with the republicans and vote for the most moderate one in the primary. I go door to door for them. I volunteer for them. And they win. While I can't take credit for it I have helped beat back some of the worst my party has to offer. It's how I sleep at night (politically)

So you aren't actually Republican, you're just part of the party to try and influence over the left? Do you agree with any of their core principles at all?

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
No such thing as a good republican. After all that's happened in the last 5 years, they no longer get a benefit of a doubt. Fuck every last one of them

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
I mean - if the other person is pro Trump thats an automatic no. If they are against Equality thats an automatic no. If they have a differing of opinion on how taxes should work I can see past that but I could never love anyone who identified themselves as a republican. Its hard enough being cool with my family back in the midwest still.

Last edited:

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
There is no such thing as a good Republican. You had your chance to seek some sanity around 2016.

If you are still ok with that party, after all of this bullshit, you've made it clear what you are in my eyes. You only get to be a distant acquaintance or co-worker at best.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They're a malignant cancer. There's no such thing as good malignant cancer. They just spread and kill.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
You can't be a moral and good person while subscribing to whatever the hell being a Republican means.
Not after all that happened in the past 40 years. And certainly not after these past few years.

If you can't see the light after all this, then there's no hope for you.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I'm at the point where I can barely stand neo-liberals and moderates, if that gives any context on where my mind is at.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i dont hate republicans, but doubt a significant relationship with one would work out well

Last edited:

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Unfortunately Trump invaded all the churches where I live so a lot of my family members are still really pro-Trump or any republican.

I can't hate them...I just can't talk politics with them without being looked at weird. Churches where I live have made people believe it's Gods will for Trump to succeed. It grew silent at a lunch gathering one time when I said I voted for Biden/Harris.

luckily most all my friends except for the few who are really church goers are heavy anti-Trump so we enjoy talking about politics together.

Last edited:

Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
The "good" Republicans are racist, homophobic, and transphobic They oppose universal healthcare and seek to deny or even accelerate climate change. Many of them are covid deniers and anti maskers. They dutifully voted for fascists and will continue to do so.

Fuck every one of them.
Word. I work with 80% republicans, and tragically they are all union people. You would not believe the shit I have had to endure since 2016. They always want to talk politics. Joke about opening up camps for Liberals like me. I can joke with them and even have laughs with them about non political stuff at times. They would probably help me if I needed it.
But their core beliefs are appalling. As someone else said, it's not just being socially conservative that is putrid, being a financial conservative is every bit as bad and corrosive. They are the "I got mine, fuck you" crowd. They might have a few good qualities but they are not good people. And every one of them is a racist on at least some level and 99% of them homophobes. I can't pretend that part of them doesn't exist.

Nov 1, 2017
Every Republican politician is an evil, corrupt lying snake. There is no question about that in my mind at this point. Many of their supporters I know personally would otherwise be decent people except for the fact that they have been brainwashed for years and decades to become evermore hateful and reactionary when it comes to anything regarding politics. That said, many more simply have always been stupid racist pricks and as such of course they are Republicans.

The GOP is rather really clever in how it caters to both true diehard racist types as well as people who don't want to think of themselves as racists, but are easily mislead by coded language into believing racist viewpoints. 100% of the party's power is in its propaganda.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hate the republican party way more than I hate Trump and I think they are way more dangerous than him.
I don't hate every person who voted Republican though.

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
I marvel that this forum allows threads where it is acceptable to express hate for people with a different point of view.

True liberalism embraces and respects diversity of opinion and only hates views that express intolerance or that disempower others.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
There's no such thing as a good Republican. Not your mom, not your dad, not your uncle, not your friend from high school or old ass grandparent.

Every single one is trash and deserving of your scorn and ridicule.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
I marvel that this forum allows threads where it is acceptable to express hate for people with a different point of view.

True liberalism embraces and respects diversity of opinion and only hates views that express intolerance or that disempower others.

Fuck you.
"Different point of view" bullshit.

Nov 2, 2017

This is a really comic statement for two reasons:
1) The bit about views that express intolerance and disempowerment is a perfect description of the entire conservative worldview.
2) This board has a lot of leftists who have scorn for liberals precisely because they can't recognize #1.

If they just had some conservative ideals (mostly the tax break type stuff), then no, I would keep contact and be okay with it. My mother for example identified as a Republican up until Trump and is now an Independent that voted for Biden.

Any of the racist, sexist, homophobic, cultist bullshit level though? No and I wouldn't care who they were to me. I'd cut them off in a heartbeat and never look back.

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
1) The bit about views that express intolerance and disempowerment is a perfect description of the entire conservative worldview.
2) This board has a lot of leftists who have scorn for liberals precisely because they can't recognize #1.
I don't think all moderate Conservatives whose main concerns are free enterprise and rule of law are intolerant or seeking to disempower others. It may help to think about moderate Conservatives in Britain or Canada as emotions are running high regarding US Conservatives right now.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Depends on the particular views. Someone arguing against stuff like gay marriage wouldn't be something i'm interested in but something like tax cuts? That wouldn't really change my opinion of the person even if i disagree.

In general being part of the extremists would be a no go for me(on either side tbh).

Last edited:

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Troll account
On
One last point....if you replace GOP/Republican in the title and OP with any minority group and keep everything else the same would this thread be considered acceptable and remain unlocked?

Nov 2, 2017
I don't think all moderate Conservatives whose main concerns are free enterprise and rule of law are intolerant or seeking to disempower others. It may help to think about moderate Conservatives in Britain or Canada as emotions are running high regarding US Conservatives right now.

Those basically boil down to support of the capitalist system, and the capitalist system is inherently built upon exploiting societal inequality in order to extract and concentrate wealth. They're fundamentally reprehensible positions.

Everyone has to navigate the system, I don't blame people for doing their best to get along in the system we have, but if you've decided to sign up for being a cheerleader for the system, I'm very quickly going to start to see if you're ill-informed or you just have fundamentally different (and incompatible) core values.

On

One last point....if you replace GOP/Republican in the title and OP with any minority group and keep everything else the same would this thread be considered acceptable and remain unlocked?

Surprise, context changes when you're talking about a political philosophy people choose to adopt than when you're talking about fundamental elements of an individual's identity.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
They're not all as bad as trump ppl of course, but I will automatically dislike someone more if i find out that they're a republican though. Especially after the last year.

Would never be in a relationship or close friends with one. Barely would even wanna be acquaintances with one.

Are minority groups political parties?

Oct 28, 2017
I can't. But we have a two party system. I'd probably have left tbh if my area wasn't a red district. Voting democrat at the local level is a waste of my vote because a democrat is never going to win. So I caucus with the republicans and vote for the most moderate one in the primary. I go door to door for them. I volunteer for them. And they win. While I can't take credit for it I have helped beat back some of the worst my party has to offer. It's how I sleep at night (politically)
Thanks for the response. It gives me a better understanding of where you are coming from and I am trying to understand why people vote the way they do.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I'll just say that I did not know that I was capable of hate until Trump became president.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The poll is very odd. I don't know what to pick in it.

I don't really *hate* many people. I am extremely judgemental about most Republicans. I guess I hate trump but I don't know, I dont have a lot of hate in me for people. I judge most Republicans very poorly. I think I hate Matt Gaetz more than Trump.

As for if I hate all Republicans, no. My parents are Republicans. It's incredibly hard. They have become cultists because they are brainwashed by fox news. I've written about it before here. They didn't used to be like this. They were democrats for most of my life and then around 9/11 and the aftermath they left the democratic party and became heavily obsessed with fox. They hated Obama, largely because of quiet racism. It took me a while to figure that out. And then Fox just took them down the rabbit hole, which they willingly fell into.

Now they're both basically brainwashed by fox and addicted to it like a drug that they need more of. My one solace is that they don't have Facebook thank god.

It's sad too because both of my parents are smart people. My dad's got a fucking phd and my mom's not stupid. They're part of a cult.

So no I don't hate them. They're excellent grandparents to their grand children and they've always been wonderful parents to me, raising me correctly to be tollerant, patient, kind, inquisitive. Which is why it's hard to see them like this now. I told my mom recently about how she idolizes a person who she raised her kids to he the exact opposite of, that Trump is everything you raise your kids not to be. It's hard to get through to them. We had a big argument over the summer about politics and now they don't go there with me because I'm prepared with facts and can argue against their points using their own logic... Which is destabilizing to them because they believe in these caricatures of liberals, so the comments that my mother makes that she thinks 'triggee the libs' are just like irrelevant to me and I stick to the facts. I made a point to my mother about how her brain is so poisoned by fox, we'll be talking about something mundane and she'll make some bizarre political remark and I had to be like, mom, what is wrong with your brain that this conversation we're having caused you to make that bizarre remark? And she was sort of bewildered that I woildnt think the thing she just did is *normal.* The problem for her is that she thinks that the world of fox news is a real world... Not a television performance that's produced to evoke anger and hate.

But it's not easy. We used to he able to talk about current events and we can't anymore. Anytime I go over their house if I turn the TV on it's tuned to fox news. They weren't always like this, which is sad to me. Still we sort of have a moratorium on politics and when something comes up I give them a knowing look like -- "watch your tongue because you know I'm not suffering fools anymore" sort of thing.

Family is hard. I had the quintessential "racist uncle" growing up and we all made fun of him, when he wasn't around *for being racist.* I had to tell my parents that they're like Uncle Mike these days. Incoherent, disrespectful, rude, making bizarre comments. And that was sort of bewildering to my mother (she hates this guy, he knocked up her sister 50+ years ago and she's always hated him).

They need cult deprogramming. I don't hate them, but i pity them.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't fuck with Trumpists, nor do I fuck with people who are Conservative in general. Modern day Conservativism is anti woman, anti black and anti caring about people. If someone votes right wing they're blatantly voting for policies that'll harm me, so fuck them.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
What kind of white as mother fucking topic is this shit? Play nice with idiots that start off nice, but think you are less than human?!?

Sorry, my mother is radicalized, self hating and thinks anyone who doesn't think like Trump is a demon. Which, to her, means death is a mercy. God's eventual demand. From a fucking adulterous Atheist

When I have heard the more moderate versions of her kind side, they NEVER condemn, only try to soften their stance. "You should love her because she made you"

Fuck em all.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
Takes too much energy to hate them and they're not worth all that. I don't respect or like them. I can't be close friends with someone that is Republican but I may have them in my network for job references.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
On

This is so fucking stupid. You should be embarassed to have asked this dumbass question.

You choose a political party. You don't choose to be a "minority group." Fucking stupid. There is never a comparison between something somebody is born as and something you choose to become a part of.

Stop fucking doing it.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Can honestly say that in my lifetime every republican administration has left the country worse off by the end of their time in office.