Do you play Bethesda games in 1st or 3rd person view?

• Exclusively 1st person

Votes: 284 47.7%
  • Mostly 1st person

Votes: 161 27.0%
  • Half and half

Votes: 72 12.1%
  • Mostly 3rd person

Votes: 50 8.4%
  • Exclusively 3rd person

Votes: 29 4.9%

• Total voters

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, a little surprised so many people go exclusively 1st person.

I like seeing my character so I go primarily 3rd and then 1st in combat.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bethesda games have a horrible third person mode, they are very clearly an afterthought. Few triple-A games feel worse in third person tbh. First person all the way.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I've got no choice, I have to play 3rd person due to motion sickness.

Although saying that, I also get mild motion sickness in some indoor areas in TESO, playing in 3rd person.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
First-person since the games are clearly designed with that in mind.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Third person exclusively. I don't care how janky their third person is, I do not enjoy games in first person.

wellpapp

Aug 21, 2018
Gothenburg
Mostly third person when I'm running about outside or so, I want to be able to see my gear and such. But inside or in towns I always go first person.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
Really more third than first. I feel like combat in most Bethesda games leaves a lot to be desired but I loved the execution animations of my character in third person when swinging a weapon wildly! Fallout 4, for all the hate it got - was an amazing over the shoulder shooter in third person. Things felt a lot tighter, even if not fully there.
Agreed, and I really liked that (the execution), and sweeping enemies off of their feet. It felt a lot more seamless compared to Skyrim's Kill Cams too. Honestly, Fallout 4 did far better with both first and third person than I feel people give it credit for.

Nerfed Llamas

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I play Bethesda games mostly in third person, especially when in a hub area or during traversal. In combat, I usually switch to first person because it just works better that way. Honestly, I kind of hate how Bethesda games feel in third person, but I don't love playing games in first person for extended long periods of time at all. I can play in first person in short bursts like in the Portal games, but an RPG in first person has to be something special if it hopes to keep me in first person for over 60+ hours of gameplay.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
I switch back and forth throughout. Depends on the moment I guess but I usually like to do 3rd person while exploring or walking through towns/cities sometimes.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
the games are definitely not "optimized" for 3rd person but if you can roll with it, more power to you

skyrim improved it a bit with a bit more of an RE4-ish over the shoulder perspective but still kinda meh. plays like those Unity dark souls rip offs on steam. i didn't even bother with Fallout 4's 3rd person so maybe there's some improvements there as well but being a shooter i couldn't imagine it being preferable

Venat Fan

Oct 29, 2017
First person only. There are a lot of environmental details that can easily be missed in these games without an eye level view, especially in interiors:

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I do both. When I'm out in the open world I go 3rd person, but when I go inside an instance I go 1st person as I don't want to miss any items like bobbleheads, ingots, etc.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
About even. Slight preference for 3rd with Scrolls games since I enjoy seeing my character geared up and having that sense of scale with the environment. Slight preference for 1st in Fallout since interiors are more dense with things to collect/observe and quests often have you searching through drawers.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
NEarly all 1st person, some 3rd but only sometimes. Like when I'm walking long distances sometimes I switch to 3rd ffor some reason.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
In dungeons and combat, first person. But often in towns and walking around I'd switch to 3rd person because I find it less disorientating to be able to see all around my character. I've never been a fan of first person any way, so it took me a while to adjust. Oblivion was my first and I played that a lot in 3rd person before I got used to first person.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
From my experience, 3rd person always looked bad when combat broke out. I remember playing Skyrim in third person and thought the combat looked worse. The jankyness just stood out more so I've kept it to 1st person ever since.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Mostly 1st person here for me. I like doing most things in 1st, but I'll move to 3rd when I want to look around a corner or something.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Wow, this thread and poll are such an eye-opener. I never knew that I'm actually the minority by exclusively use 3rd person in Bethesda games.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
First person. Mostly because Bethesda is terrible at telling a protagonist's story. It's easier to get lost in those massive detailed worlds if I'm playing as me.

I couldn't imagine playing first person Geralt.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I can't believe there are madmen who play these games in 3rd person. 3rd person always looks more like a camera hack than an actual mode.

Deleted member 11995

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Exclusively 1st person. I prefer 1st over 3rd person view whenever given the choice. It always feels more immersive to me. I feel more connected to what I'm doing and what's happening, which is important in a Bethesda style game.

I really don't like those bloody kill cameras. Hated them from the moment they first appeared.

joylevel11

Banned
May 19, 2018
skyrim i played 99.99999% in 1st person. with Fallout games (more specifically FO4) i would play 3rd except when in combat because 1st was better for that.