• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think the PS5's launch be as successful as the PS4 in terms of sales WW?

• Yes, The PS5 will sell as many units as the PS4 launches aligned.

• No, I don't think it will have as successful a launch.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Deleted member 34385

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Most people here in Europe think that for example fifa is only on the playstation console because of their ucl sponsorship. Sony took the casual market a long time ago and they are not giving it back, a lot of people consider the self gamers but just buy fifa or madden with a ps+ subscription. So in conclusion, yes ps5 will sell batshit crazy

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
We don't really know enough yet but PS4 was almost a perfect storm in terms of Sony delivering on the hardware with performance/price, sweeping the PR battle against MS and coming at a perfect time when consumers were overwhelmingly ready to move on from the previous (overly extended) generation. I'm not sure if the stars aligning in the same way is likely but it's also too early to say right now.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think PS5 is going to be AS successful as PS4 at launch, but serious question why would anyone with a PS4 and library switch to Xbox if PS5 is BC? I am not saying no one will obviously but my question is what is making you think a lot of people will?
Well according to some, BC doesn't matter.

But I'm curious, why do you think the PS5 won't be as successful as the PS4 at launch? I agree that it won't be, and my thought is that is due in part to the increased competition. And not just with the Xbox, but with the Switch as well (although to a much lesser degree).

I *think* we have data that shows that a lot of people who owned the Xbox 360 switched to the PS4 this gen. So even with BC, I can see people switching back the Xbox ecosystem. And plus, there will likely be some degree of BC for 360 games on the next Xbox so even if BC is important, it's not like Sony is the only one that is bringing this to the table.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Not a chance. Ps5 will face a much stronger competition from Xbox this time and the market is changing again. Won't bet on any horses this early tho.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
thats part of the problem on Sony early on, their heavy hitter come on the later half of their life spam. cause they take time to make, betting early life on getting games of that caliber is a bad blind bet

There is no basis to believe next-gen will be a mere repeat of this gen with God of War Sequel and Horizon 2 being reportedly underway and PS5 devkits being out there for a while now.

And who's say Sony couldn't easily move up the launch window of Death Stranding, The Last Of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima or the Demon Souls Remake to coincide with a PS5 launch day window?.

The fact that these titles have no release dates with next gen knocking on our door is alarming and could definitely be set up for a next gen release.

Gran Turismo 6 releasing on a last gen console instead of the PS4 and failing commercially (their biggest selling IP) certainly will have taught Sony to time their 1st party releases accordingly.

I foresee the big first party hits coming in earlier next-gen in a greater magnitude with some currently announced big titles being moved to PS5 launch window so Playstation has its "BotW" killer app or several of them.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Well according to some, BC doesn't matter.

But I'm curious, why do you think the PS5 won't be as successful as the PS4 at launch? I agree that it won't be, and my thought is that is due in part to the increased competition. And not just with the Xbox, but with the Switch as well (although to a much lesser degree).

I *think* we have data that shows that a lot of people who owned the Xbox 360 switched to the PS4 this gen. So even with BC, I can see people switching back the Xbox ecosystem. And plus, there will likely be some degree of BC for 360 games on the next Xbox so even if BC is important, it's not like Sony is the only one that is bringing this to the table.

My reasoning for PS5 not doing as well as PS4 is just as you said increased competition, I do assume Xbox will do better out of the gate next gen than this gen especially in the US which will obviously eat into the PS5 sales more than likely. As for BC at least for me and friends I have talked to and such (many of which went from 360 to PS4) they will continue with Playstation simply due to the fact that their PS4 library is going to be able to be played. Obviously Microsoft also being BC is great but if you went PS4 this gen buying an Xbox next gen doesn't help you play those games. For me I have 120 physical and over 100 digital games on PS4, where as I have about 15? games for my X1X, that alone means PS5 is where I am going.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
thats part of the problem on Sony early on, their heavy hitter come on the later half of their life spam.

How will you know that ?

Horizon 2 should come early in the gen and mostly all 1st party studios become much bigger.
And I don't believe the studios will make a complete new engine for next gen like some did this gen.

Death Stranding could be a cross gen or a PS5 only launch game....
And there will be partnerships with Bluepoint or other 3rds.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm leaning towards no because this time it'll presumably cost more, and have actual decent competition

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
No, I do think worldwide. Remember, the Xbox One was an absolute disaster. So I do expect Microsoft to get it right this time around and for more people to go with Xbox. More is subjective though, right? Microsoft isn't going to sell more consoles, but it'll be more competitive this time, and I do think worldwide too.

You never learn do you ^^

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get those or the OP saying no because MS will do better and better competition from Nintendo.

Looking strictly at how the XBO sold at launch, how the PS4 sold..

How MS does shouldn't have any effect on how the PS5 sells at launch.

If the XBO can sell as well as is did at launch after that disastrous reveal and launch price, I think the PS5 can sell well, even if it also has a bad reveal. No bad reveal and it's even more likely to sell well.

This shouldn't be a MS vs. Sony thing, lol.

Last edited:

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
If the XBO can sell as well as is did at launch after that disastrous reveal and launch price, I think the PS5 can sell well, even if it also has a bad reveal. No bad reveal and it's even more likely to sell well.

After the past days infos, I can imagine only one really bad reveal situation, that would be "PS5 is only buyable together with a VR headset".

But that will for sure not happen xD

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
It will probably do better since every PS4 owner can just transition without losing anything. Depends on the price though.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think the initial price will be high enough that it'll be alienating to some, and the launch window releases will have the usual cross-gen "slump" where many won't see the appeal due to a lack of definitive sense of "next-gen" capability.

I think it'll still be a successful launch, just not quite as big as PS4. PS4 was coming out at a time where I think previous gen had outright fatigued on its technical capabilities and Microsoft's relatively close launch date and it's massive disappointing new policies propelled PS4's success. People were kinda tired of old gen and craving something new, and I don't think that tone of demand is quite there with PS5.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
PS4 had the advantage of the Xbox One being a PR nightmare. I would hope Microsoft have learned since then
While Xbox' surely screwed up the initial PR, I think the importance for the entire Generation is a little overrated. It's been over 5 years since launch, the Xbox is now significantly cheaper than the PS4, and we still have a worldwide sales ratio of 2-3:1 in favor of the PlayStation. If you look through the yearly NPD Hardware charts, the difference between both consoles has even widened, especially since 2017.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So far I think Sony will be able to ride the PS4 momentum, so it might sell as well or even better than the PS4.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To me it seems like Microsoft is poised to gain significant ground next gen, and in many ways Sony will be playing catch up. Sony has several elements to their advantage, including their first party IP, their head start on VR, and the huge fanbase and good will they've gained this gen (though the good will is waning it seems).

Also, part of the reason the PS4 was so successful at launch is because of how terrible the Xbox One + Kinect was. Like, it was very clear to many people that the XB1 was not the console to get. MS will not be stumbling so hard with this next gen, but they'll still be feeling the pain of the botched XB1 launch. So many people went from primarily 360 gamers to primarily PS4 gamers last gen, and I don't see MS recovering those people unless Sony really falls on their face.

Overall, I think we'll see a much more even sales figures between Xbox and Playstation next gen. To me the big wild card is how the impending transition to streaming will unfold and effect the current big players.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
I doubt millions of people will sell their PlayStation 4 to buy a PlayStation 5 during the first year. I think many people would just say "well, I will keep my PlayStation 4 for now and wait for a price drop."

That's every gen but BC is a good reason to switch earlier.

And people know the longer they wait, the less money they will get for their PS4.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. It should be good, but I doubt it'll do as well.

It got the benefit of Xbox boning it up last time.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
It's completely implausible.

Sony's stable of exclusive software has been excellent since the middle of the prior generation with the PS3- Microsoft isn't really close to them here, and it's difficult to see people that bought into the Sony ecosystem for Horizon, GOW, Last of Us, Detroit, Spiderman, Bloodborne and similar walking away from all that. I'm sure there are a handful of people that only care about marginal improvements in third party software, but these people are a vanishingly small part of the buying public.

Making things worse here- Microsoft has been pretty open about making their exclusive software available via PC. You don't actually NEED an Xbox to play those games. That makes the argument for jumping platforms much, much weaker even if you REALLY want to see what Obsidian is going to do next gen.

Microsoft is going the Play Anywhere approach in attempt to find a profitable sector in the gaming industry where they can grow, have presence and be profitable.

The strategies they've been implanting on the console space have not propel them to the spot they would like to be at which has resulted on Play Anywhere, Xbox Live being on Switch, Gamepass, taking the front seat.

Microsoft has realized Playstation has the traditional console strategy in a near-monopoly state.

This is them throwing ideas out hoping something sticks and lands. While in the process, ironically, they are actively harming the console hardware side of Xbox with Play Anywhere and lack of exclusives to retain users on their platform and / or incentivize potential consumers to own one.

On the software approach, it makes sense what the play is. But on the hardware approach, the number of units sold per year isnt going to marginally increase or see growth year over year with Play Anywhere being the front runner and exclusive output faltering compared to its competitors.

I really don't know what in general, the play is, at the moment with Xbox.

That's why I'm just eager to see what in the actual fuck is their next-generation strategy so it can put to rest the fuzzy messaging Xbox has adopted late this generation.

Next-gen is a whole new reset in mindshare. And concepts are fresh and new. I hope Microsoft conjures up something super dashing for consumers to eat it up, because the current strategy proposition set in place by Sony allowed them to lock the traditional console market all to themselves, gather a staggering 93 million PSN userbase and their 1st exclusives performing commercially and critically bigger than ever before.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
If they release it at 499$/€, and assuming the competition will be stronger this time around (new Xbox and Switch improved model), I don't think it will.

Though I think it will do great anyway, and sell pretty much what they can produce at the beginning. Overall the PlayStation brand is still the strongest worldwide, and unless they screw up a lot of people will keep buying them (myself included).

I can see Xbox "stealing" some sales and getting users back from the X360 days in markets like USA/UK closing the gap or even surprassing it, but that won't happen in mainland Europe. Sure they can do better there too, but there's such a huge difference between brands in these regions that at least in the near future Sony will continue to dominate this market. If they didn't lose it in the PS3 days, they sure won't lose it now unless there was some massive screw up which doesn't seem likely.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Of course I want it to be successful but given what we know about it, it will be more expensive therefore less people will buy it at launch.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
i hope they dont share of your hubris and arrogance tho

Lol fam I game primarily on my Xbox so you can leave the insults at the door.

Sony is a household name. Microsoft is a household name. Both may or may not hit targeted sales projections but one thing is certain—they have predetermined install bases. The PS5 will move units regardless just like the next Xbox will.

OP
OP
DrDeckard

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I would expect the CPU in the PS5 to be similar to a Ryzen 5 or even 7 if it's 8 core. Currently only Ryzen 7 cone in 8 core variants.

If Sony goes all in on advertising that it will play all PS4 games at launch I can see it being very successful.

Honestly I think this is not a chance at all. I think it will be more like a custom 2200g but one core will turbo to a high speed to really allow games to utilise the extra frequency.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Most likely. The only problem will be price and competition. If MS doesn't drop the ball (and or Sony) they'll be going on even ground, on top of that, I'm sure Switch has taken back a few of their fanbase who were previously owning a Wii or Wii U. I am a believer in the number system and with this being the Playstation 5, it will surely be the talk of the town.

There's also BC. By the time PS5 releases, there will be 100m PS4's shipped. With the digital age being more prominent this gen, I honestly think most people with digital games on PS4 will have no choice but to go with the PS5 if they want to enjoy their games. Add more BC capabilities and it will sweeten the deal for the BC crowd.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Hope not, they have been very disappointing this gen when it comes to console services.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I asume we could expect a similar approach as the PS4 with PS+ games being available day one, right? Maybe we could get 6 games again with PS4/5/VR.

Cirerus

Oct 30, 2017
No. Microsoft and Nintendo are not screwing things up this time and arrogant Sony is back with anti consumer pratices.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it will do as well since it will likely be $100 more expensive and allot of the big launch titles plus titles coming out the first 2 years will be cross platform with PS4. Plus, the graphics fidelity leap won't be nearly as big coming from a PS4 Pro, a PS3 was feeling really weak after 6 years.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol, so semi-related to what I was discussing earlier with some people pushing back against the notion that the Xbox One's reveal and E3 in 2013 were fucking disasters

I'm listening to the giant beastcast and alex actually makes a joke using the "we've got a console for you, it's called Xbox 360" line from mattrick (around the 1h53m mark)

such an infamous fuck up, I thought that was funny to hear on the podcast when people in this thread were trying to spin MS's 2013 as anything other than an unmitigated disaster

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of people are going to want to bring there libraries with them from PS4 so yes I do think Sony will get the big sales again next generation unless MS can really get some great exclusives or has some sort of other advantage that is attractive enough to draw people away from their PS4 games.

Rob2K19

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doubt it if all the Japanese gaming fans on PS4 stick to their word on not supporting Sony anymore.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Oh I don't know. I think they're coming in hot, though. It seems like many of those 90 million PS4s are active. That's to say, not purchased just to end up collecting dust under the TV.

The flow of games hasn't stopped and they've been of extraordinary quality. The graphics still look good. 4 million users are in deep with a VR headset and a lot more are eyeballing it And the PS5 being positioned as a straight upgrade for the PS4 couldn't be an easier pitch.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it will do as well since it will likely be $100 more expensive and allot of the big launch titles plus titles coming out the first 2 years will be cross platform with PS4. Plus, the graphics fidelity leap won't be nearly as big coming from a PS4 Pro, a PS3 was feeling really weak after 6 years.

This also seems likely enough, to me. If PS4 is still selling and the user base is spending, and especially if it's $100 more, it might be a softer roll out.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
This gen was a reset. Next gen isn't. Digital is more prominent and the PS5 is BC. Microsoft fucked up the one generation it shouldn't have.

Everything else comes down to price and the economy

LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
Probably not considering MS won't dare to fuck up their strategy again and the console itself will be more expensive too.

Having said that, it will probably still lead sales worldwide due to having by far the bigger instal base of current gen consoles and overall quality of exclusives.