Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Moffat sucks at endings. It's always been his weakness as a writer.
That he often sets up good endings and then swerves at the last second is worse than not being able to come up with a good ending at all. It wasn't just Clara twice, he did it for Amy and Rory too, them drifting away from the doctor, no longer being full time companions with longer and longer breaks between their adventures with him was the perfect way of writing them out without big drama, just let them make the adult decision to stop traveling with him, it would have made perfect sense and it really looked like this was what season 7 was building up to and then in their last episode suddenly it takes weeping angels and timey timey stuff to force them apart? It was very disappointing because despite me being over them as companions at that point I still hoped for a good ending tho their arcs.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It's been a while, but in decades past I seem to recall the companions mostly just left and returned to their lives? It was time. Adult decisions made. But since 2005, it seems like every exit needs to be a Big Thing, some rather convoluted. Is that about right?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a while, but in decades past I seem to recall the companions mostly just left and returned to their lives? It was time. Adult decisions made. But since 2005, it seems like every exit needs to be a Big Thing, some rather convoluted. Is that about right?

It's not quite that simple, but kind of. In Classic Who, a lot of companions did willingly choose to leave the TARDIS for any number of reasons - tired of the role, deciding it's unsafe, wanting to do other things, no longer trusting the Doctor - but there were companions being killed off dramatically as early as the First Doctor's run (Sara and Katarina). These were typically short-lived or one-off secondary companions, though, and the core cast of the show was much bigger, so the show didn't dwell on the deaths the way they do now.

One could make the argument that Adric's death in Earthshock was the origin of the "modern" style of big bombastic core companion exit - this is also why Adric keeps getting mentioned in recent New Who episodes - but more specifically I believe it was RTD's decision to lean into elements of modern soap opera drama in the Eccleston and Tennant eras that cemented the belief that companion exits need to be big dramatic how-do-you-dos and not something where two characters just naturally decide to stop travelling together. Moffat came up in the same school of thought as Rusty and kept going with it, while simultaneously executing it even worse due to his refusal to just let a character death stick. Moff wanted to have it both ways - the emotional impact of a big character death and the catharsis of "everybody lives". And it did not work.

That being said, Chibnall (in one of his few decent decisions as showrunner) tried to tilt things back in favor of more "normal" companion exits with Ryan, Graham and Dan all choosing to leave the TARDIS under fairly normal circumstances and retaining a positive relationship with the Doctor post-exit. It remains to be seen if the same thing will continue in the RTD2.0 era.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I mean times have changed and Doctor Who has changed. The stories and characters are more dramatic now. The show is also more intimate, usually featuring smaller core casts. So it makes less sense to have just "you know what, I'm done with traveling, see ya" endings. Martha gets one but it's more tied up in her romantic feelings as her dynamic with the Doctor was never really healthy for either of them. Rose set the standard for the big dramatic exit, it was like her life was ending to be separated from The Doctor. Classic Fans may find that silly but it makes emotional sense to me. Why would anyone want to give up a life adventuring in time and space? I don't like presenting the choice to leave as a mature adult thing necessarily.

That being said, things did get a bit silly in Moffat's era. But I chalk that entirely up to Moffat's desire to always have "one more twist", "one more clever next thing", and his adverse relationship with actually ending anything. Amy and Rory are probably the best exit he did, they did get to live happily ever after and I do think the mechanics behind why the Doctor can't go back in time and just pick them up are very contrived but it makes emotional sense, like I was talking about earlier, so it still works.

But the real problems came when he couldn't let River Song go and kept bringing her back after her logical end point, even having her show up post-Library, and doing the whole "well actually they spent years together in their final time" thing when that clearly wasn't how that story came across in Library. After that both Clara and Bill had the "they are dead BUT NOT REALLY THEY ARE TRAVELING OUT THERE" endings. Exact same ending really and it's very silly both times and does not feel emotionally honest. It's a cop-out because either Moffat or the BBC or whoever wasn't willing to actually have these companions "die", as if that'd be too sad for Doctor Who.

Chibnall went too far in the other direction but that's a whole other story. I did like Yaz kind of solidifying as THE companion of that era at the end though. She's kind of the only one I'm really going to remember at all fondly. Though... I'll admit I'm drawing a blank of why or how she leaves. Did she do the Martha exit?

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
I did like Yaz kind of solidifying as THE companion of that era at the end though. She's kind of the only one I'm really going to remember at all fondly. Though... I'll admit I'm drawing a blank of why or how she leaves. Did she do the Martha exit?

No, the Doc just told her she was dying and Yaz said her goodbye with an ice cream on top of the TARDIS. I quite liked it being understated to be honest.

Back to Moffat, there's an interview with him about Day of the Doctor and he says something like "He destroyed Gallifrey, and I just thought - I bet he didn't, really"

And that works wonderfully for that story. But I think it's a trend of his in Doctor Who, he can't not have a happy ending. And while I understand it's a family show and optimistic etc, I think sometimes leaving things unfinished - or ambiguous - is an equally valuable lesson for kids.

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
No, the Doc just told her she was dying and Yaz said her goodbye with an ice cream on top of the TARDIS. I quite liked it being understated to be honest.

Back to Moffat, there's an interview with him about Day of the Doctor and he says something like "He destroyed Gallifrey, and I just thought - I bet he didn't, really"

And that works wonderfully for that story. But I think it's a trend of his in Doctor Who, he can't not have a happy ending. And while I understand it's a family show and optimistic etc, I think sometimes leaving things unfinished - or ambiguous - is an equally valuable lesson for kids.
See I actually think him undoing the destruction of Gallifrey is THE worst example of his trend of never letting things go and always trying to twist things to a more positive outcome. The Time War was the best thing Davies introduced to the series and making the Doctor the Last of the Time Lords was a huge part of the appeal of the newer show. Now, I do like my Doctors with a bit of angst inside. I like it when there's big emotions and I like the Doctor being a more ambiguous character. I think the entire first RTD era had a consistent throughline of analyzing who the Doctor was, from Dalek to The End of Time.

And initially I think Moffat carried that forward pretty well. I think 11 was a good way to move the character forward while still having that angst deep down that comes out sometimes, the guilt and the anger and all that stuff. Made the character compelling. Moffat undid all of it, removed all the depth, removed the emotional weight of the storylines, made all the angst from before seem silly because it was based on a misunderstanding. All for what? To try and immediately have 12 be all "am I a good man?" ambiguous again for no reason, and then to have the only time we SEE the saved Gallifrey to be an antagonistic encounter with Rassilon again. And then Chibnall destroys it again off screen. So now we're just in the same position we were in before but with less weight and depth, removing the Doctor's role from it and placing it all on the villain. Terrible stuff from both Moffat and Chibnall as far as Gallifrey is concerned.

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The vast, vast, VAST majority of classic companion exits in the classic series are absolutely dreadful, and those that aren't (Susan, Jo, Sarah Jane) are the ones that are the closest to the modern formula. I'm sympathetic to the idea that the exits nowadays can trend towards the overblown, but they're wildly better than most of what the classic series cooked up.

Sep 5, 2021
I've already commented here before about Clara and Doctor Who's Season Finale. Here's my opinion on them:

About Clara, I love your relationship with the doctor, its complexity, its flaws, is the most complex and developed character of the new series (Clara, we knows that she loves stories, she sees the life of her parents as a fairy tale, loves and wants to take care of children she has an authoritarian personality and tries to take control of the situation (I'm not just talking about their several episodes of the eighth season about this, but also looks to the end of The Bells of Saint John different from the other companions that when the Doctor are invited them to Tardis instead of jumping inside the Tardis she sends him come back the next day, she takes control of the situation and it shows that it will do the thing of traveling with him on her terms, she takes control of the situation instead of the Doctor who let her travel with him is the Doctor waiting to know if she will travel with him). I hate it when they say that Clara is too perfect, when she is the companion with more defects being quoted and who are important for the stories and their development, this does not make sense. Clara is my favorite companion of the new series and the most of the people completely lose the arc point of the Impossible girl: The whole point of her season 7 arc was The doctor realizes that he was wrong and she is only a normal person who later did something incredible, like Rose and Donna. Initially she tried to balance her normal life with the life With life with the doctor, And as Danny died it was as if there was nothing else that bound her to Earth, she saw herself as a protagonist of a book, she and Doctor were the heroes who could always save the day and escape the danger, of course it ended Being so equal to the Doctor who ended up dead, plus she and the Doctor forged such a deep bond and he this season (the ninth) was already tired of letting people die (Ashildr's bow, the girl's death in the bow of the underwater base ) and did not want to lose anybody else and with desire of revenge against the Time Lords he ended up going too far and breaking the laws of time and he brought her to life, plus what could end up breaking the universe, but he with his selfish did not want Give up saving Clara, so he had to erase his memories of her, and you can notice he learned the lesson that everything has to end an hour, that nothing is forever, in the at the The Husbands of River Song. Clara of course would return to Gallifrey, her final arc was a critique of the trope of killing of female character and that any person can be the Doctor, that he is not just a being, but an ideal that anyone can try to be, Idea that has several Moffat scripts, like Extremis, The Zygon Inversion, The Witch's Familiar and several others. . Bill, while I quite liked her, she was very simple, and I sincerely liked the others more than hers.

Top Season Finale

One thing I prefer in the Moffat season finale is that it focuses on the characters' relationships with each other and their developments, how situations are dealt with, and are centered on the dialogues between the characters while those in Russell T Davies are more focused in action, how the situation affects the characters and their choices. In RT Davies are situations that are increasing, threatening the Earth or the Universe, while Moffat is the opposite, starts with a great threat, with several villains to become small situations, with only a few characters in one place, talking between they, in Davies the characters struggle with the external situation, in that of Moffat they struggle with their interior.

1-Face the Raven/Heaven Sent/Hell Bent
2- World Enough and Time / The Doctor Falls
3- The Pandorica Opens / The Big Bang
4- Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords
5- Dark Water / Death in Heaven
6- Army of Ghosts/Doomsday
7- Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways
8- The Name of the Doctor
9- The Wedding of River Song
10- The Stolen Earth / Journey's End

Clara is not only the best written companion in New Who but she also has the best and most beautiful ending.

You cannot analyze her final three episodes separately as they were always written together.

Here is the best Clara analysis and its passage in the series from start to finish with its development:

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/clara-oswald-a-study-of-the-impossible-girl-78428.htm

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/clara-oswald-a-study-of-the-impossible-mirror-78978.htm

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/clara-oswald-a-study-of-the-impossible-storyteller-part-1-79998.htm

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/clara-oswald-a-study-of-the-impossible-storyteller-part-2-80054.htm

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/clara-oswald-a-study-of-the-impossible-storyteller-part-3-80103.htm

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
The vast, vast, VAST majority of classic companion exits in the classic series are absolutely dreadful, and those that aren't (Susan, Jo, Sarah Jane) are the ones that are the closest to the modern formula. I'm sympathetic to the idea that the exits nowadays can trend towards the overblown, but they're wildly better than most of what the classic series cooked up.
I've fallen in love with .... uh .... This guy! Rando McExtra. Goodbye forever doctor!

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
I go back and forth on Clara. I loved her when she was introduced but returning to Season 7 now, it has a weird vibe. The Doctor is too horny and she's written in that... Moffat Witty kind of way. I'm not saying it's BAD it's just kinda cheesy in a way I either do or don't vibe with depending on my mood.

I hate Season 8 but that has little to do with Clara as a character. I don't love how she acts when she loses someone she loves but grief is grief so I give it a pass.

I need to rewatch Season 9. I was cold on it when it aired but I wanna give it another shot since so many people love it. I keep meaning to but always get distracted.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Clara is really only successful because Coleman is a pure charisma engine. Poorly written & defined though, especially by comparison to all four who came before her

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
While the "Amy's boys" and general jealousy over the Doctor gets old after awhile, I still think Amy and Rory together are the best companions Moffat wrote. Rory added a much needed element to that group. Really wish we did two companions more often. Felt the same about that brief period it was Rose and Jack. Three companions is too much imo, but two is a nice shakeup.

Wonky Mump

Oct 30, 2017
Seen that BBC iPlayer has moved the Christmas Special into the Season 1 tab, and had an email from DVD Support confirming that it'll be included on the Season 1 DVD/Blu-ray release in August when I asked about that and issues with the Series 1-4 Remastered set they still haven't fixed.

I know, and that's 5 or 6 hours back from where I am so I figured it would be out around noon here but nothing.😪 Maybe they'll release it after it aired in the UK.
It was announced already that it's launching everywhere at the same time - midnight UK on iPlayer, 7pm ET/4pm PT for Disney+ (check your timezone for when this is in your country.)

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
While the "Amy's boys" and general jealousy over the Doctor gets old after awhile, I still think Amy and Rory together are the best companions Moffat wrote. Rory added a much needed element to that group. Really wish we did two companions more often. Felt the same about that brief period it was Rose and Jack. Three companions is too much imo, but two is a nice shakeup.
Honestly my frustration with Rory is that we never really got any bond between him and the doctor that wasn't all about Amy. I rewatched those series this year, and there's really never a sense that the two of them are actually mates, Rory just treats the doctor and an aspect of his wife's weird hobby that he joins in with halfheartedly.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
It was announced already that it's launching everywhere at the same time - midnight UK on iPlayer, 7pm ET/4pm PT for Disney+ (check your timezone for when this is in your country.)
Ah crap, pm is evening. I thought it was released in the morning in the US, I've been checking D+ for hours now.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Seen that BBC iPlayer has moved the Christmas Special into the Season 1 tab, and had an email from DVD Support confirming that it'll be included on the Season 1 DVD/Blu-ray release in August when I asked about that and issues with the Series 1-4 Remastered set they still haven't fixed.

Yeah, Disney+ is also putting the Christmas Special as episode 1. When the May Disney+ schedule went up, I got confused when they said three episode premiere. But it's just the two episodes they announced + the holiday special as episode 1. So across the board they're all considering it the first episode rather than part of the 60th anniversary special collection.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Yeah, Disney+ is also putting the Christmas Special as episode 1. When the May Disney+ schedule went up, I got confused when they said three episode premiere. But it's just the two episodes they announced + the holiday special as episode 1. So across the board they're all considering it the first episode rather than part of the 60th anniversary special collection.

It really feels like they should be ditching the specials off to the 'end' of Doctor Who 2005-2023 rather than the start of the 'new era' on iPlayer; feels confusing. Like at least make D+ and iPlayer match in that presentation. And it even works better, really, to look at The Giggle as the finale of the old era.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
It really feels like they should be ditching the specials off to the 'end' of Doctor Who 2005-2023 rather than the start of the 'new era' on iPlayer; feels confusing. Like at least make D+ and iPlayer match in that presentation. And it even works better, really, to look at The Giggle as the finale of the old era.

My bet is they're waiting to see how the show performs on Disney. If Disney goes all in on the show, and licenses the backlog once it leaves US Max, then worldwide it gets retconned to the end of 2005-2023.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a tad concerned about Doctor Who's placement on US Trending following a massive marketing push. It's just barely cracking the Top 20.

We'll see how the rest of the weekend goes. I'm not expecting a brag article on performance from Disney though. It would have to have been higher, or gotten on US Trending much faster.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm a tad concerned about Doctor Who's placement on US Trending following a massive marketing push. It's just barely cracking the Top 20.

We'll see how the rest of the weekend goes. I'm not expecting a brag article on performance from Disney though. It would have to have been higher, or gotten on US Trending much faster.

Its no 7 on the Apple TV top ten for D+

Wonky Mump

Oct 30, 2017
Surely if Disney+ was to put out a brag article for performance etc, it'd be based on international performance and not just the US given they have the rights to everywhere outside the UK and Ireland? I get the US will likely be their key market for measuring performance, but still the fact they have it in places like Australia too could be a variable.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Surely if Disney+ was to put out a brag article for performance etc, it'd be based on international performance and not just the US given they have the rights to everywhere outside the UK and Ireland? I get the US will likely be their key market for measuring performance, but still the fact they have it in places like Australia too could be a variable.

It's usually based on US, but I suppose it's possible they could do worldwide.

It would help future of Disney funding more/buying the streaming rights to the backlog when it expires on Max for US numbers to be really good.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, on my end in the actual US Disney+ app, Doctor Who is now #10 on US Trending.

It's certainly getting better as the weekend goes by. I would have been more scared of it dropped down after day 1 like a few other originals.

If it reaches Top 5 by Monday Morning on my end, I'll stop worrying.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Doctor Who is descending again in the native US Disney+ trending app. It couldn't get past #10 on US Trending.

I'm sounding the alarms on this based on how other non-marvel/Star wars shows has been. Unless expectations from Disney were lower, especially with it being a licensed show. But it was heavily marketed. It should be doing way better than this.

We'll see how drop 2 goes.

Wonky Mump

Oct 30, 2017
Doctor Who is descending again in the native US Disney+ trending app. It couldn't get past #10 on US Trending.

I'm sounding the alarms on this based on how other non-marvel/Star wars shows has been. Unless expectations from Disney were lower, especially with it being a licensed show. But it was heavily marketed. It should be doing way better than this.

Given how short the season run is (7 weeks), I would suspect some folk - especially general audience folk who might be curious - may be choosing just to wait and binge it all in a day/weekend type thing. Sounding the alarm seems a bit overreactive just now, might be better to wait and see how it does around the finale and weeks after.

Oct 26, 2017
It's funny skimming this thread, trying to avoid details until I'm caught up with season, and all I keep seeing is "space babies" "space babies" "space babies." Lord, what am I in for....
What a fantastic episode. I had some minor nitpicks: Tennant made a big deal out of being out at the edge of the universe, but mate....you were just outside the damn thing a few episodes ago. And I swore there was a Smith or Capaldi episode where they go to the edge of the universe? (Or maybe it was just the end of the universe). No real issue there though. My bigger qualm was the Doctor having a bit of a breakdown about the Flux, and his guilt over it wiping out half the universe. 1) It did? That didn't get undone? But more important (2) I'm bugged that this Doctor seems to care more than Whittaker herself did. I suppose that's a critique of the writing around Whittaker though. The Flux was a huge deal, and yet by the end it didn't feel like it had much weight at all. Maybe that's what happens when you build up these great villains over a few episodes to then sneeze them away at a whim.

Anywho. Besides those nitpicks, loved the episode. It's rare that as an audience member you're not five steps ahead of the mystery. Or you're not able to solve because the writers are holding details back. This was a particularly fun one because all the dialogue between the Doctor, Donna, and two imposter alien things was super well-written and acted, left me genuinely guessing the whole time, and was just overall witty and fun. I thoroughly enjoyed the Doctor realizing they had to stop thinking, and watching him struggle to avoid putting the puzzle together. And when he does open that window and you see the captain floating out there...and that melancholy music.....loved it. But really what sealed this deal was seeing this bastard again:

doctor-who-wilfred.gif

I was smiling and a bit teary eyed all at the same time. I didn't have a clue he'd filmed anymore, and when they mentioned he was in a home in episode 1 I just assumed his health was too poor to actually film. Loved seeing him.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny skimming this thread, trying to avoid details until I'm caught up with season, and all I keep seeing is "space babies" "space babies" "space babies." Lord, what am I in for....
What a fantastic episode. I had some minor nitpicks: Tennant made a big deal out of being out at the edge of the universe, but mate....you were just outside the damn thing a few episodes ago. And I swore there was a Smith or Capaldi episode where they go to the edge of the universe? (Or maybe it was just the end of the universe). No real issue there though. My bigger qualm was the Doctor having a bit of a breakdown about the Flux, and his guilt over it wiping out half the universe. 1) It did? That didn't get undone? But more important (2) I'm bugged that this Doctor seems to care more than Whittaker herself did. I suppose that's a critique of the writing around Whittaker though. The Flux was a huge deal, and yet by the end it didn't feel like it had much weight at all. Maybe that's what happens when you build up these great villains over a few episodes to then sneeze them away at a whim.

Anywho. Besides those nitpicks, loved the episode. It's rare that as an audience member you're not five steps ahead of the mystery. Or you're not able to solve because the writers are holding details back. This was a particularly fun one because all the dialogue between the Doctor, Donna, and two imposter alien things was super well-written and acted, left me genuinely guessing the whole time, and was just overall witty and fun. I thoroughly enjoyed the Doctor realizing they had to stop thinking, and watching him struggle to avoid putting the puzzle together. And when he does open that window and you see the captain floating out there...and that melancholy music.....loved it. But really what sealed this deal was seeing this bastard again:

doctor-who-wilfred.gif

I was smiling and a bit teary eyed all at the same time. I didn't have a clue he'd filmed anymore, and when they mentioned he was in a home in episode 1 I just assumed his health was too poor to actually film. Loved seeing him.

Oh just you wait on babies. Err, Space Babies.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

Without actual information on how the trending section works it's probably best to not worry. It doesn't even give numbers to the titles in it. Right now for me if you exclude Hulu stuff its the 5th entry on the list.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough on needing more info and waiting a little bit longer. I've just been worried after monitoring a few other Disney+ originals that got canned. So that's why I've been a little on edge. But I get your points.

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough on needing more info and waiting a little bit longer. I've just been worried after monitoring a few other Disney+ originals that got canned. So that's why I've been a little on edge. But I get your points.
If it makes you feel any better, FlixPatrol has Doctor Who as the fourth-most popular TV show and the sixth-most popular content in general in the US yesterday.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
After monitoring these streaming websites for the past few years? It only makes me feel better if it's accurate to the numbers the execs are seeing in the Disney+ app.
My understanding is that FlixPatrol's model is based upon scraping the top 10s from the apps worldwide, so probably?

In any case, we're basically reading the tea leaves - we have no idea how much Disney are spending on the show, what their expectations are, what a success would look like, and so on. It's probably spending less than it is on other streaming originals of a similar pedigree (BBC Studios are throwing some into the pot too), so a straight-up comparison probably doesn't work, but all of this is guesswork.

Try not to fret about it too much - there's nothing we can do, we don't know the metrics, and none of this will accomplish anything other than worrying ourselves.

Last edited:

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
My understanding is that FlixPatrol's model is based upon scraping the top 10s from the apps worldwide, so probably?

In any case, we're basically reading the tea leaves - we have no idea how much Disney are spending on the show, what their expectations are, what a success would look like, and so on. It's probably spending less than it is on other streaming originals of a similar pedigree (BBC Studios are throwing some into the pot too), so a straight-up comparison probably doesn't work, but all of this is guesswork.

Fair

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I am just...so tired of the backlash concerning everything on Twitter on Youtube. I feel like there is no way to satisfy everyone and we will just get backlash after backlash after backlash.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I am just...so tired of the backlash concerning everything on Twitter on Youtube. I feel like there is no way to satisfy everyone and we will just get backlash after backlash after backlash.
Riling people up is a good way to get people to click.

Unfortunately expect more of it with how Google is going

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Riling people up is a good way to get people to click.

Unfortunately expect more of it with how Google is going

It's kind of fascinating to see Youtube on my work computer, not on an account, compared to on my home computer, with, like, fifteen years of curation. They're worlds apart from one another.

Still not perfect, but the curated version makes it look like a mild annoyance, uncurated like a cesspit.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
'Doctor Who': Steven Moffat Talks Algorithms, Easter Eggs and That Explosive Casting Reveal:

www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Doctor Who’: Steven Moffat Talks Algorithms, Easter Eggs and That Explosive Casting Reveal

The former showrunner returned to the BBC hit series, now streaming on Disney+, to pen the episode "Boom."

It's funny seeing everyone in the other thread saying Moffat was personally saying this, and then Moffat being here like "No. That's just how I'm writing the Doctor."

Well besides the obvious line. He's very clear in the interview it was commentary on that.