• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a long time coming. We've waited, and watched, and expected, and now the moment's here.

Ncuti Gatwa now has the keys to the TARDIS, and the future has arrived.

p0gz2jcy.jpg

DOCTOR WHO, STARRING NCUTI GATWA AND MILLIE GIBSON

Christmas Special: The Church on Ruby Road
BBC One/Disney+
December 25th, 2023, 5.55pm (GMT)/12.55pm (EST)/9.55am (PST)

Written by Russell T Davies, directed by Mark Tonderai, produced by Vicky Delow

STARRING
Ncuti Gatwa as the Doctor
Millie Gibson as Ruby Sunday
Michelle Greenidge as Carla Sunday
Angela Wynter as Cherry Sunday
Anita Dobson as Mrs. Flood
Davina McCall as herself

Series 1 - Coming Spring 2024...

THE STORY SO FAR
The Doctor is a traveller in time and space, who has had a great many faces, and an awful lot of tragedy in their past. They travel the universe, righting wrongs and helping those who need it, while wearing a variety of different faces and personalities, and the new Doctor (officially the Fifteenth, for those keeping count) promises to be unlike any we've previously seen.
Following an encounter with the Toymaker in the previous episode, the last Doctor (as played by David Tennant) was struck down and regenerated, as is typical for a Doctor at the end of their life. Instead of the usual regeneration, however, this process mysteriously left two Doctors behind - the old Doctor, a tired and traumatised figure, and the new Doctor, played by Ncuti Gatwa, full of a lust for life and an effervescent energy lacking from his predecessor. As the old Doctor enters a well deserved retirement, the Fifteenth has gone off into time and space to see the universe, unbound by all of the trauma and heartache of the past - a new Doctor, for a new age.

Now the Doctor's going to find himself crashing into the life of Ruby Sunday, a young woman trying to find her way in a world which abandoned her at a young age. What brings these two together, and what revelations their friendship is going to bring, will be revealed soon...

BEHIND THE SCENES
Following the drama and the hype of Doctor Who's 60th anniversary, with its old Doctor, older enemies and continuity all the way down, head writer Russell T Davies is looking to relaunch the show for a whole new generation - one that may not have previously been interested in Doctor Who. To do this, he has recruited some iconic young talent, of which Ncuti is the most prominent - he gained worldwide fame for his portrayal of Eric Effiong in Netflix's Sex Education, and following appearances in Sex Education and Barbie, he's ready to headline his own show. Playing Ruby Sunday is Millie Gibson, an 18 year old actress (her favourite childhood companion was Amy Pond, if you want to feel old) best known for playing a leading role over the last few years in Coronation Street, the iconic British soap opera, where she received great acclaim for the sheer believability she brought to her character throughout a variety of different types of storyline.

The pair's first full series together will air in the Spring, but the Fifteenth Doctor's first full appearance, and Ruby's debut, will come on Christmas Day, as the pair battle baby-eating goblins and try to uncover the truth of Ruby's past...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2LKKnf4riw

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB87uGgoKBg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXgnqGTOXTE

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Still not a fan of the whole bigeneration thing (especially as RTD elaborates on it), but man did Ncuti knock it out of the park with his first appearance. I am hyped for his full series.

Know absolutely nothing about the actress playing Ruby, but the little clips so far make it look like they're going to be fun together.

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
Really excited for Ncuti.

He's great, and I think he'll be able to overcome RTD's lackluster writing.

I just want to forget about the bigeneration nonsense.

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
Let's gooo.

My boy Ncuti is gonna knock this out the park. A new golden age is upon us.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Truly cannot wait to meet Fifteen properly. The little bit we got during "The Giggle" was charming as all hell and Gatwa already seems to have taken to the 'show ambassador ' role swimmingly. Only question is for I wait to watch the show when I don't have to worry about family talking over it or if I accept I will have to rewatch it later. Just hoping I'm not waiting too long for season one. Some hinkiness aside the specials reminded me of why I fell in love with the show in the first place.

DECK’ARD

Creator of Worms
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK
Can't wait.

No warming up needed for this Doctor, I love him in the role already.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Cool, looking forward to this (but it'll land here on Boxing Day but whatever).

I have managed not to hear this goblin song so far so I will wait for the special to finally hear it.

LawfulEnder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really excited for this.

Been working my way through the Whittaker era to try and catch up, though I won't quite get there before this airs. Hoping to be done everything but the specials, and I already jumped ahead to watch the Tennant specials so not too upset about it.

Dec 17, 2022
I've seen the ads… at first I thought it was for an upcoming movie until I realized who it was.

Was planning to resub to D+ early next year, but this is making me reconsider.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question but does this fully replace the Doctor Who Era OT or is this just for new-episode related stuff like the 60th thread?

This one is basically replacing the 60th Anniversary Specials thread, I think - it'll be the home for discussion of the 15th Doctor's seasons and episodes, the same way we had threads for Thirteen's and the 60th.

If everyone's amenable to the idea, we can still use the general Doctor Who thread for general show/Big Finish/etc discussion.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
The franchise feels so ascendant and fun right now. Ncuti is going to own the part so damn hard. Like every Doctor I really like, I hope he sticks around longer than the stock three seasons.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
I think the thing I'm most excited about is to see what NuWho looks like without a Doctor haunted by trauma. In some ways I expect it to feel slightly more like the classic series if the Doctor isn't regularly brooding.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the thing I'm most excited about is to see what NuWho looks like without a Doctor haunted by trauma. In some ways I expect it to feel slightly more like the classic series if the Doctor isn't regularly brooding.

Agreed. Wiping the slate clean and basically relaunching the series with a more healed and non-brooding Doctor definitely suggests that we might see some more similarities to the classic era material.

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This one is basically replacing the 60th Anniversary Specials thread, I think - it'll be the home for discussion of the 15th Doctor's seasons and episodes, the same way we had threads for Thirteen's and the 60th.

If everyone's amenable to the idea, we can still use the general Doctor Who thread for general show/Big Finish/etc discussion.
Yeah, that's the sort of divide I had in mind - happy to go with the group, though.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so psyched to see where the series goes from here. It's going to feel like a long wait for the season to start after Christmas.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Opening theme going to be the same as the specials, because I didn't really care for those (the breathing noise or whatever was terrible).

Shayde

Aug 3, 2023
Yeah, definitely excited to see the 15th Doctor era take off! Ncuti really stole the show at the end of the last special and it's hard to think of a Doctor who won over what seems to be a good portion of the audience so quickly (maybe Smith?)

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Yeah, definitely excited to see the 15th Doctor era take off! Ncuti really stole the show at the end of the last special and it's hard to think of a Doctor who won over what seems to be a good portion of the audience so quickly (maybe Smith?)

Ncuti is going to crush it. Smith's a good shout. There was a lot of skepticism because of his young age when he was cast but he quickly showed how good of an actor he was.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK

Yep Ncuti is like a reverse Colin Baker. Amazingly likeable right out of the gate.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Mark me down also as not being a fan of the biregeneration stuff. I know why they did it, but it still doesn't sit right with me.

That being said, the new Doctor seems full of energy the likes we hadn't seen since Matt Smith, and his writing team hopefully won't suck ass this time around like they did with poor Jodie's version.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Well it's working because I've never seen a single Doctor Who episode, or trailer, or anything outside of jokes on Community and occasionally clicking a thread here about the show and flipping through.

So, how do I watch this in the states? Is it in Disney+ ?lol

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Well it's working because I've never seen a single Doctor Who episode, or trailer, or anything outside of jokes on Community and occasionally clicking a thread here about the show and flipping through.

Yup. Basically anything Who going forward will be Disney+ exclusive in the US.

May 26, 2018

All the brand new material will be on Disney+. Everything in the revival from 2005 to 2022 is on HBO Max, but not sure for how much longer, though.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
So exciting to have doctor who back properly on Christmas day again, reminds me of when I was a kid

hamghost

Sep 1, 2019
I'm so excited about this! Ncuti and Millie are going to smash it. Can't wait to see EastEnders legends Anita Dobson and Angela Wynter in the show too!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
is this also (and the full next season) Availalble in 4k on iplayer?

thinking about that - they must have to provide Disney with dolby vision or similar so I wonder if they might ever update the apple tv app to serve that (I know they prefer HLG as its more suited for live stuff but for VOD maybe they need to accept other formats are popular)

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Gatwa is the first person my brain has immediately accepted as the Doctor. Like I've always been down for whoever, but there was not even a second of adjusting. He just is the Doctor.