• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CadisRai

Oct 27, 2017
The new consoles reportedly having Ray-Tracing I'm even dreading the possibility of 24fps for that cinematic experience.
If most games just give options like Action=60fps/Resolution=4k/Graphics=RayTracing I would be happy regardless of my choice.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
it's not so much that I don't think it's mandatory, I really wish games would at least give you the option between resolution and frame-rate, but as long as frame-rate doesn't sell, resolution and graphics will continue to be prioritized.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, people still believe that.

dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

If a game runs at stable 30fps with out any framepacing issues, and if it isn't a fast reaction game like a racer or fighter, I am perfectly fine with it.
In that case I appreciate developers focusing on high fidelty graphics and high rendering resolutions.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
I don't think its mandatory for all kinds of games. For example, racing and arcade / twitchy games should absolutely strive to push for maximum fidelity at high frame rates, but everything else is fair game

I honestly don't feel a difference with higher frames by playing an open world IF the tech behind is proper (ie perfect frame pacing, akin to Zero Dawn). However, an all over the place frame pacing at 30 fps is downright horrible, that we can all agree on I think

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Yeah that's not going to happen. Evenly frame paced 30 is totally playable, and as long as devs are interested in pushing boundaries and wanting to do more, 60 FPS won't be standard. That said I suspect it will be far more common than currently.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Devs will still target 30FPS to make their games look as pretty as possible to get people to buy them.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Developers will almost always prioritize graphics over framerate on console for noncompetitive games. I don't expect the next-gen games to change that reality.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I acknowledge the improvement of 60fps and can definitely tell, but the bottom line is a properly framepaced 30fps feels and looks great to me. It doesn't take me out of the experience at all. So yeah, if I'm given the choice between better graphics at 30fps I'm taking that.

The frustrating thing is on PC, where I often do have to make graphical sacrifices to hit 60fps because I can't get 30fps to feel like console 30fps to save my life. Some methods work well on some games, but not on others.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Graphics are still what sell. Higher resolutions and better looking games are far more marketable.

If you really care about higher framerates, buy a PC. It's one of the primary reasons I switch primarily to PC. I'm a framerate priority person, consoles are always graphics first, but occasionally you'll get a "performance mode" bone tossed your way

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I mean, you answered your own question when you said you don't care about resolution/raytracing/etc. Obviously, other people do.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
It's the same thing whenever a new gen comes around. Some people think more power will allow all games to run at 60fps.

Reality is, we've had beautiful 60fps console games since the PS2, if the industry wanted to make it standard it could have done so a long time ago. It's not gonna happen.

Most games will push for better graphics, sacrificing high framerate.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Developers should continue to make the games they want, and not implement entirely arbitrary rules about what they can and can't do.

It sucks if you're incapable of enjoying a game at 30, but it doesn't mean anything more than just " that kind of sucks, I guess". The industry will continue to move forward without you. There will always be 60fps games for you, especially on PC.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just waiting for the moment everyone realises that 1080p, 30fps with upscaling to 4k ends up being the standard next generation. Happens every time, "this generation will finally be 1080p 60fps!" aaaaaand it never is. Maybe if the 4k push hadn't happened we'd be getting solid framerates, but consoles went in a different direction to PC gaming while using the same hardware so we know what to expect from it.

OP
OP
Cloud-Strife

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Get a PC OP.

While I agree with you, we all know it won't happen.

I have a good PC and play all my games at 1080/60 or 1440p/60.

But how am I going to play TLOU 2 or the next Spiderman game? I really hope dynamic resolution is the king next gen and we get games up to 4k and 60 fps.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
We have this thread every generation and the answer is always the same, graphics sell games, not frame-rates.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I'd rather developers maintain artistic freedom rather than be force to make 60 fps games.

Some "you find a genie i na bottle and it makes all games 60 fps via magic" would be neat, but in practice it would suck.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
This generation should of been 60fps. I think 30fps will continue because its easier to sell eye candy than a number. As long as the average Joe doesn't give a shit, there won't be a huge push for it.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Some people believe facts, yes.

Harsh but accurate. Plenty of people have chimed in here with reasonable counterpoint to the utterly dismissive OP topic. I'm just baffled that people continue to reach the conclusion that more powerful console automatically equals higher frame rate. Back in the Atari 2600 era we had 60fps games. Okay, they were fields rather than frames, but you were basically required to recompute the entire display every 60th of a second because of hardware limitations.

If anything, more powerful consoles have enabled lower frame rates. Let that sink in for a minute.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
30fps is perfectly fine. I'll take better lighting over 60fps.
Variable refresh rates will save us all.
never happening. 60 fps is nice but it's something only enthusiasts really give two shits about. stability matters more, if anything.
No game is unplayable at 30fps so it is fine.

giphy.gif

some takes are really something...

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'm expecting 1080p, uncapped as the norm. Maybe whatever resolution PS4 Pro frequently uses (1440p?), uncapped , and 4K/30fps for the graphics option.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I know that's what they do.. but with all the new horse power on the next gen consoles.. are we really gonna get 4k native games running at sub par 30 fps or even with bad frame pacing?

If that's the reality then next gen is not looking so good.
Is this the first time you've paid attention to a generational transition? Because replace 4k with 1080p and this post would be indistinguishable from some made in 2012/2013, and that isn't even the first time that kind of argument has been made in regards to looking forward to the upcoming generation.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Some games are fine at 30fps and others should prioritize 60fps for obvious reasons. At the end of the day, its should be the developers decision.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
There are 2 reasons this happens:

It is easier to have a stable resolution than it is to have a stable frame rate. Depending on the developer, goal and type of game it can be a priority or not.

A lot of people just don't care. And when you put two videos of the same game, side by side, one with better graphics and one with better framerrate, the likelihood of people choosing the better graphics over frame rate is high, sadly.

Dec 20, 2017
No way we'll see 60 FPS across the board next gen -- the priority will be making something that looks awesome on a commercial, which doesn't even take a solid 30. Best we can hope for is performance mode to become more common.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
But 60 is not mandatory for next gen consoles, as it has never been; that's a fact.
OP title is worded very weirdly and that's another fact.

What you even. Man. Yes it would be nice but no it won't happen and the way you've worded the title implies you believe it's actually mandated by console manufacturers which has never been true of any generation.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
60fps will never be the target for consoles by the majority of game devs, so if anyone thinks it's mandatory they're already on PC.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I am some people and I am fine with 30 fps as long as it is stable.

I still don't know why people conflate design decision with hardware power. 60 fps has been doable since the days of PS1.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's like the OP is trying to will 60 fps standard for next gen into existence.

It ain't happening. Much easier to market high graphics in screen shots on the back of the box or trailers Youtube than 60 fps comparisons. Most people don't care.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
The developers will say the same thing they always said every generation: If a game with a big graphical leap will be developed, but the console is unable to sustain the 60fps, they will say "fuck the fps, will be capped on 30".