• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
Been getting full matches all day. Gotta love that post Christmas boost.

DSFvosSU8AouY7T.jpg:large

Yeah I've been getting semi quick games on the ps4 too. Which is great since I didn't play much multiplayer at launch.

Nov 2, 2017
How is this on handheld mode? That is the biggest factor to whether or not I'm gonna get it. I already have it on Xbox One but being able to play it on the couch is the most attractive aspect for me.

I play in handheld mode when I go back to a area for collectibles. It works out nicely for me. I've never had a problem with resolution or controls once I got use to playing a portable again. For years I had split my time between consoles and handheld devices, GBA,PSP, DS,3DS, but I drifted away to mainly console and PC gaming. The hybrid nature of the Switch has been a godsend (I know it might sound cliche) but that freedom.

Back to your question, handheld was only a "problem" until I was comfortable, and after turning of chromatic aberration and smoothing to low it's been solid on the visual front.

I've also put a good amount of time in tabletop mode using just the standard grip during lunch breaks. It's worked pretty well after I fiddled with the settings. - two of my coworkers got switched after watching me play Doom and Skyrim at lunch.

R.D.Blax

Oct 26, 2017
Been a while since last time I played and now I can't choose multiplayer anymore, only Campaign, and the Welcome to Doom (This on give me the error "You have exceeded your matchmaking quota") And when I play the campagin, I can't move in the menu anymore, can only select the first option everytime, so I can't even play arcade. What's going on ? I reset the game several time and nothing changed

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Been a while since last time I played and now I can't choose multiplayer anymore, only Campaign, and the Welcome to Doom (This on give me the error "You have exceeded your matchmaking quota") And when I play the campagin, I can't move in the menu anymore, can only select the first option everytime, so I can't even play arcade. What's going on ? I reset the game several time and nothing changed
I've seen that happen a few times (unable to select MP), but I haven't been able to pinpoint the how/when. I have been playing my Switch in portable mode a ton and I usually exit out to the title screen before I put the Switch to sleep. I feel like it's got something to do with the Switch flipping WiFi on and off while the title screen is up.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

I believe to fix the control menu bug you need to hard turn off your switch. Fixed it for me. There's details on Reddit I believe.

R.D.Blax

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen that happen a few times (unable to select MP), but I haven't been able to pinpoint the how/when. I have been playing my Switch in portable mode a ton and I usually exit out to the title screen before I put the Switch to sleep. I feel like it's got something to do with the Switch flipping WiFi on and off while the title screen is up.

I believe to fix the control menu bug you need to hard turn off your switch. Fixed it for me. There's details on Reddit I believe.

I did it yesterday and it worked. Pretty weird bug.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Well that's a sweet bug... I'm in a big demon onslaught on Lazarus and the final enemy somehow spawned under the floor. Its fire can hit me, but I can't hit it.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The complete lack of post-release support is making me regret my purchase. This is increasingly looking like a quick cash-in. I bet that Panic Button have already washed their hands of it and are already deep at work on another project.

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised and I hope that with Panic Button working on Wolfenstein 2 on Switch, that they use the added work on id Tech 6 to go back and patch up DOOM with further optimization, hell I wonder if that's why they haven't done so yet.

Hell, they're already going to heavily update Rocket League on Switch with better optimization I think this month.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game didn't sell well from what I heard, and this sale is helping things again... let's keep it that way, and maybe they will feel inclined to give more support for this

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just bought this for my train trip (I played the first third of it on XB1 and loved it but other games took my attention away). Any tips for control / visual options in game? I bought a Switch stand so I could use my Pro controller as I thought it would be a bit fiddly playing in handheld mode with attached joy-cons.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Turn off chromatic abberation and motion blur... I personally think it looks better, slightly sharper

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Just got Doom yesterday and can't stop playing and going back to find all secrets etc...has been a blast. I have no reference to Doom on the other systems, but I am loving the style and I think it looks great on Switch. I did however have the audio glitch out and had to restart and it came back. Is this a thing?

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The game didn't sell well from what I heard, and this sale is helping things again... let's keep it that way, and maybe they will feel inclined to give more support for this

It probably sold fine for what it is. Full priced late port with no added features and some features removed. It will continue to sell as it goes down in price.

It was top 10 switch software in November and charted on the eshop for a couple of months I think

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I wouldn't be surprised and I hope that with Panic Button working on Wolfenstein 2 on Switch, that they use the added work on id Tech 6 to go back and patch up DOOM with further optimization, hell I wonder if that's why they haven't done so yet.

Hell, they're already going to heavily update Rocket League on Switch with better optimization I think this month.
God I wish. That's coming out in March or April.

As it stands, both games perform very poorly on the system. Playing Rocket League and Mario Kart 8 back to back in splitscreen is a generational leap in visual quality. RL's renderer is completely unnaceptable. The game is so fun people let it pass, but it's horrid.

And the same with DOOM, really. Other games have been ported to the system with much closer performance to the other current gen consoles. It should be running at dynamic 900p30 with no framerate drops in docked mode, not at 600p with horrible framepacing, framerate drops, bugs all over the place, demons teleporting and falling through the ground, fucked up sound, and performance degradation/crashing after a few hours of runtime.

Again, the game is so good it's a blast to play on the Switch, but it's no technical marvel on it. Still I think it's a must on Switch, for how good it is.

Edit: are we sure it's not Panic Button doing the patch for Rocket League? If Psyonix relied on them for the port, they'd rely on them for subsequent support, even if it's Psyonix who gets to spill the news?

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I did however have the audio glitch out and had to restart and it came back. Is this a thing?
Unfortunately yes. Still a great game regardless, but it is annoying. Fortunately, the audio glitch goes away whenever you reload the game, whether it's continuing from the last checkpoint, you die and respawn, or you do a rune challenge.
But Panic Button did the Switch (and XBO and PS4) version of Rocket League, why would Psyonix do the patch themselves?
They took over the code from Panic Button and will be maintaining it themselves moving forward.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't say Panic Button's Switch output has impressed me so far. People were impressed by Doom at first, but the engine is designed with scalability and Vulkan support in mind, so we can't really assume any technical wizardry from their part. Ultimately once the honeymoon is over we're left with a buggy port with a lot of weird-ass issues that can't all be excused away by the lack of horsepower.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And the same with DOOM, really. Other games have been ported to the system with much closer performance to the other current gen consoles. It should be running at dynamic 900p30 with no framerate drops in docked mode, not at 600p
This is crazy talk. No other game has pushed the hardware as far as DOOM. The framerate and resolution are impressive for what they're trying to do. Bugs and uneven framespacing aside.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
This is crazy talk. No other game has pushed the hardware as far as DOOM. The framerate and resolution are impressive for what they're trying to do. Bugs and uneven framespacing aside.
No game has pushed hardware as far as DOOM... On the other consoles and on PC. Which is why it looks impossible on a PS4, and why it should translate equally well to the Switch if done properly. The fact the game has incredibly smart programming and art design in its original form doesn't mean a less powerful piece of hardware cannot make use of that smart programming.
Now consider the company that ported DOOM also ported Rocket League, one of the worst looking games on the system, and one slated to get a massive resolution boost similar or higher to the one I'm proposing.
The idea that PB had little time to port a whole new engine with both games and that they could go back and implement solutions better suited to the hardware is not insane, in my opinion.
Since both games have trouble with resolution and alpha effects, it's probable it has to do with bandwidth. Something a neat neature of the Switch and Vulkan can solve (Tiled rendering) but that in its most powerful form requires specific programming.
Could explain why games made by Nintendo are performing the way they are performing while others are not.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
Had a placebo effect. Hadn't played for a week or so and when I came back yesterday the game seemed smoother and rumble seemed stronger. Sure it's just me anticipating the new patch though. Bring it on.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Hey I'll finally play this broken-ass game soon

Yeah that was a big deal last week... but it's not going to magically bump res or fps to anything close to acceptable compared to other consoles... you are deceiving yourself because if they somehow could... they would've said exactly that in their tweet

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Yeah that was a big deal last week... but it's not going to magically bump res or fps to anything close to acceptable compared to other consoles... you are deceiving yourself because if they somehow could... they would've said exactly that in their tweet
Wait, hold up, what is this straight up trolling nonsense? First of all, nothing in their post indicates performance improvements. Second, the game is perfectly acceptable, impressive even, in its current state.

No need for this sort of ignorant shit man.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I never implied any of that. I just want the game breaking bugs to be fixed, I have absolutely zero expectations regarding possible performance improvements. Jeez, calm down.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are people (including myself) begging for these post-support patches that would do things like that... I actually haven't run into too many bugs... just that Vaseline filter over my screen.

I still had fun, but it would be nicer to be a bit sharper eh... it's not even 720p most of the time but like 540p and below... that's insanity.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Whatever man, I just want to be able to play the game without the menus randomly stop working.

Samsquanchewans

User Permed at their request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
#NOTJAPAN
what were the other issues besides the sound one? That's what mostly the problem i've been having with it.

Not counting the frame drops ofcourse.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
what were the other issues besides the sound one? That's what mostly the problem i've been having with it.

Not counting the frame drops ofcourse.
Animations skipping, demons dissapearing and reappearing, sometimes they'll fall through the floor, or spawn without an animation or a sound.
Edit: and the performance varies a lot, it's worse after sleep mode than when you jist booted the game. The first time I went into
Lazarus Labs
it was a fucking slideshow with demons glitching out everywhere and textures dissapearing, other times in Arcade Mode booting right into that it was alright.

Last edited:

Samsquanchewans

User Permed at their request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
#NOTJAPAN
Textures glitch out during multiplayer. Stretches all over the place.

Animations skipping, demons dissapearing and reappearing, sometimes they'll fall through the floor, or spawn without an animation or a sound.

ah, never touched that much MP with this game yet. never noticed it, but yeah i did get some demons falling through the floor especially on the hell part. But like I said, I mostly get the no sound issue, and I always have to restart the Switch in order for it to work again.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised about the sleep mode issues in this game and a few others.

It this an OS level issue, or games inelegantly accepting the sleep interupt and restart command?

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
I'm happy to say that personally I haven't really experienced many issues. I've had the audio bug happen once and the weird issue with the menu where i couldn't select things. Both were solved on closing and reopening the game. While clearly not ideal, a small blip in my 15 hours I've put in so far on campaign and multiplayer.

I've actually been enjoying the multiplayer way more than I thought I would. I had ignored it during my PC play through, but loving it on the Switch. Gives me unreal tournament vibes.

Interested to see if we get any other improvements with the patch other than bug fixes, guess we'll know soon.

Also put me in that weird camp that thinks this game looks great on the switch, both handheld and on TV. That's even with having had my initial run through on PC with close to 60fps lock at 1080. Guess I'm just not as effected by the framerate/resolution as some folks seem to be. Thought it was a damn impressive port.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Bugs were not a big deal to me, but I certainly hope Wolf II ends up being better adapted to the console. Surely Panic Button has learned a lot about porting to the Switch. Here's to Prey, Evil Within and Dishonored for Switch!