• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They advertised a lot on Doom Eternal being built with the Switch in mind from the ground up. I wish they could have found a way to push it to 60fps but that's not gonna happen, so I wonder which kind of improvements we are going to be looking at.

Better graphics probably. If they made models and textures that could be easily scaled down it is much easier to maintain a steady framerate in dynamic resolution without going to very low poly models or ugly textures.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Thats nonsense. Yes, compared to a high end PC it looks worse on Switch TV mode, obviously, but it looks really good. And you can play it on TV without hassle and then take the Switch go to bed (or bath...) and play on.
How is it nonsense? The game's resolution when docked is sub-720p, all the graphical settings (especially things like reflections and texture detail) are pared back. Not to mention the game's use of temporal anti-aliasing is so aggressively blurry that it makes everything look like it's been smeared over.

On portable mode, a lot of those shortcomings are hard to notice, given the resolution often comes closer to the Switch's native res, not to mention the smaller display of the system. But when docked on a TV (even a relatively small one, like a 43" 4K display), pretty much all the flaws become immediately evident. It's not a looker in docked mode.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Panic Button are really damn good at getting the absolute most out of the Switch. I'm still amazed at how good Warframe looks on it.

To be fair I personally far more impressed with how Virtuous managed Starlink port for Switch than anything Panic Button done for Switch,
I am no fan of very low resolutions of Panic Button Switch ports.

I've been saying for a long time that PB is overrated, but it's also one of the very few studio with the guts to port AAA games on switch.
I wish Capcom would give MHW to iron galaxy...

I somehow agree, I think they are good but I disagree when people saying they are best porting company for Switch and especially that they push Switch hardware to limits. Difference is that they are porting big current gen games for Switch so people automatically gave them high credit, IMO both Virtous and Iron Galaxy doing better job with Switch ports than Panic Button.

Interesting seeing how efficient one studio can get at optimizing for a platform after optimizing like 6 games.

Still remember when Doom and rocket league came out and people were saying that's the absolute best they could get out of those games and then they both got better after awhile

Not just that, but I recall DF also calling Doom port ceiling of Switch capabilities, and that didnt make sense because we were talking about 1st years Switch game, 1st bigger current gen port, 1st Panic Buttons game, and multiplatform port game not some kind of exclusive (that always push hardware most).

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wish I could play this game handheld but the short travel of the joycon analog sticks just kills it for me. I've only been able to enjoy playing it with the Pro controller and its larger sticks, which kinda defeats the purpose of having gotten it on Switch in the first place.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
They have been almost the only ones to tackle ports of AAA games and that's very commendable; also, their commitment to regularly improve on their port is remarkable deserves a thousand praises.

That being said, none of those port strikes me as "Wizardry" or whichever superlatives we hear everytime on release. Rocket League was incredibly rough before Psyonix took the matter into their own hand. Doom was serviceable on release, and many people thought on release that it was the ceiling of the Switch. Yet, we can see that they still had quite a significant headroom when comparing version 1.0 to this one. I wonder how high it could go if the port had been made with more resources. Same goes for Wolfenstein which was massively improved as compared to the release version; but we're just so happy (I totally include myself in the "we") that these games come to Switch that we are willing to often overlook their technical shortcomings, even when the console is actually capable of much better. The latest example is Warframe; the fact that the game runs significantly worse than on my 2016 Dell XPS, or than on a GPDWin 2 for example, is quite disappointing for port specifically optimized for the console.

The use of the word "overrated" may seem a little harsh and provocative, but in no way do I mean that they are bad; they are doing to work of the Lord by bringing those games, they constantly improve and I've been here day 1 every time, and will be for the next Doom. Panic Button is undeniably a good port studio and they seem to be working with limited time and resources, which probably explains a lot about the shortcomings of their ports. In a hindsight, I should have said that their ports were overrated; I have no idea of the constrains under which the studio is working.

I have been personally more impressed by the work from Iron Galaxy so far. Their Skyrim port was a true half gen game. Their Diablo port was much closer to the Xbox1 version than the previous gen versions. Much much closer. I know those are old games at core, but they were both showing the limits of the ps360 generation; they run near perfectly on Switch handheld or docked. I hope that the next port by Iron Galaxy will be a more recent game. They wanted to bring Monster Hunter World. If only...

Yeah I agree with what you're getting at, though I don't necessarily think overrated is the right word. In terms of quantity Panic Button is doing a hell of a lot to bring AAA games to Switch, which is far and away better than anyone else has been doing. So I wouldn't call them overrated in that respect.

But yes, I do think they aren't getting as much out of these ports as the original developers of the games could. Which is part of the reason why I think Doom Eternal is going to blow people away- that's being built from the ground up with the Switch in mind as a platform. I think we'll be seeing significant visual and performance improvements in that game.

That being said, Panic Button's volume of releases also has another positive side effect- each subsequent release will teach them more about working with the system. This is why we're still getting patches for Doom 2016, and why we probably will get even more after Doom Eternal releases. So yeah, while they aren't exactly the miracle workers a lot of people claim them to be I expect their work will only get better as time goes on and the fact that they bring these games at all is extremely impressive and welcome.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man I shouldn't sold my copy. The game was shit performance-wise on handheld mode, the same with Wolfenstein 2.

To be fair I personally far more impressed with how Virtuous managed Starlink port for Switch than anything Panic Button done for Switch,
I am no fan of very low resolutions of Panic Button Switch ports.
To be fair Starlink isn't on the level of Doom/W2 techwise so it's not really a good comparison. Nothing in there indicates a AAA game, it looks like a game made for Switch's spec first and foremost.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man I shouldn't sold my copy. The game was shit performance-wise on handheld mode, the same with Wolfenstein 2.

To be fair Starlink isn't on the level of Doom/W2 techwise so it's not really a good comparison. Nothing in there indicates a AAA game, it looks like a game made for Switch's spec first and foremost.

Starlink is a fully open-world game though, so while maybe it doesn't have the same graphical effects id's games have it still is an extremely demanding game in its own right.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017

Maybe its not, but its again great looking fully open world game, with plenty effects, stable frame rate and high resolution.
Ubisoft itself made Starlink for PS4 and XB1 while Virtuous made Switch version, here more informations how they ported game to Switch
https://www.virtuosgames.com/en/repost-making-starlink-soar-switch

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Yeah I agree with what you're getting at, though I don't necessarily think overrated is the right word. In terms of quantity Panic Button is doing a hell of a lot to bring AAA games to Switch, which is far and away better than anyone else has been doing. So I wouldn't call them overrated in that respect.

But yes, I do think they aren't getting as much out of these ports as the original developers of the games could. Which is part of the reason why I think Doom Eternal is going to blow people away- that's being built from the ground up with the Switch in mind as a platform. I think we'll be seeing significant visual and performance improvements in that game.

That being said, Panic Button's volume of releases also has another positive side effect- each subsequent release will teach them more about working with the system. This is why we're still getting patches for Doom 2016, and why we probably will get even more after Doom Eternal releases. So yeah, while they aren't exactly the miracle workers a lot of people claim them to be I expect their work will only get better as time goes on and the fact that they bring these games at all is extremely impressive and welcome.

I am not a very measured person. Overrated was unnecessarily dismissive of their work. They indeed work fast enough to bring 2 games/year, which is impressive in itself. I'm looking forward for whatever they will bring next (probably Wolfenstein, and I hope Rage 2).

Actually Starlink runs at 30fps on the other consoles and being open world, I wouldn't be surprised if it was quite a demanding game.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Starlink is a 30FPS open world game running on the Snowdrop engine. It may not have AAA budget, but that doesn't make it less demanding.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA

Thanks for posting these!

I'm not enough of an eagle eye to scope out the subtler differences, but the frame rate does definitely seem to be a bit smoother in some parts. I finished the game's story months ago and didn't really play Arcade mode much. Might have to bring it out of retirement and give it another play. The game really does look and play fantastic in portable mode.

si2k78

Nov 6, 2017
Just tried it out (foundry area), looks and plays pretty smoothly.

Just replayed argent tower stage in arcade mode. I recall this stage bringing the frame rate to its knees. Placebo or not, and we'll know for sure when DF has its say, but I can definitely say that the frame rate is not an issue now with v1.2. Impressed. Eternal is going to be a locked 30fps.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I mean it's far looking from division 2 which is Snowdrop 30fps and open world. It's made on Switch as target, which is just weak as a console
No shit, because it's lower budget. But it wasn't made with Switch in mind, according to that Virtuos interview that's a few posts above. Virtuos was tasked with achieving parity. If it were so undemanding, it wouldn't run at 30FPS on home consoles and have horrible framerate in splitscreen.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Just replayed argent tower stage in arcade mode. I recall this stage bringing the frame rate to its knees. Placebo or not, and we'll know for sure when DF has its say, but I can definitely say that the frame rate is not an issue now with v1.2. Impressed. Eternal is going to be a locked 30fps.
They won't, as per the comment in this thread that you seem to have missed :)

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
damn, that's good to hear, that's the one area of the game where i thought it got REALLY bad, so it's great that they've fixed it. i have very high hopes for eternal. both for the game itself, and specifically for the switch port.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I played a little bit yesterday in docked mode and it was smoother than it's ever been. If they can achieve the same level of fluidity with a higher resolution and better graphics for Doom Eternal, it'll be a perfect port.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Was the game ever blurry like on those pictures??
I've played it for the first time in February or March I think (when there was a sale) and I don't remember it looking that bad.
Anyway, it looks much better now and is nearly a locked 30fps.

Yeah, it was pretty bad, although it never fully looked like that on the Switch's screen - lots of that blurriness is hidden in handheld mode and is exaggerated a bit by the image's compression on Imgur.

Still, this new patch is incredible, I played for about an hour last night and found it to be far better across the board.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Was the game ever blurry like on those pictures??
I've played it for the first time in February or March I think (when there was a sale) and I don't remember it looking that bad.
Anyway, it looks much better now and is nearly a locked 30fps.

That screenshot was from handheld mode so when it's stretched on a PC screen it looks even blurrier but yes, it was more or less that blurry in handheld mode at launch.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
I am not a very measured person. Overrated was unnecessarily dismissive of their work. They indeed work fast enough to bring 2 games/year, which is impressive in itself. I'm looking forward for whatever they will bring next (probably Wolfenstein, and I hope Rage 2).

Since mid November of 2017 Panic Button has released Rocket League, DOOM, Wolfenstein 2, and Warframe. From November 10, 2017 through November 20, 2018, PB released four games for the Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Damn, so I looked at the comparison video and my eyes weren't fooling me, the game is now much smoother thanks to both the fixed framepacing AND better framerate, and it's sharper to boot!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's all opinions here my friend. Nothing is factual until we see actual facts. So your opinion is as good as mine unless someone from panic button can chime in on this discussion. :)

He's not stating an opinion, he's saying it's unlikely that Digital Foundry will look at this because someone from DF posted in this very thread that they will likely not have time to do it.

movieclub

Jan 3, 2019
Picked this up last week. Could not get into the mobile controls but loved it on pro controller. Happy there is an arcade mode.

In campaign difficulty picked up for me and felt the platformer aspects inbetween arenas was clunky. Not going to rush to beat it but impressive and fun fast paced game!

I noticed drops in frame rate if there were too many Demons and had a menu glitch where it cycled through all options a few times.

Game really feels like it is from the 90s - glitches included!

ozfunghi

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched parts of the DF video. They seem to be focussing on framerate. They don't mention resolution or sharpness?

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Metroid Prime 4 needs the assistance of Panic Button. Please Nintendo.