Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh i HATE reading financial news. Fuck off with those greedy fucks who drag down the whole world for a couple of bucks.
I hope money becomes obsolete within my lifetime.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks I think I'm ready to make dozens of dollars.

Investing in individual stocks is generally not advisable, unless you're just doing it to play around.

If your job offers a 401(k) or other retirement plan, you should be participating in that, especially if they offer a match of any kind. With that, you will be invested in mutual funds that invest in many companies, which helps mitigate risk.

You're not going to get rich overnight by doing that, but you will usually make steady returns, and you should be in good shape by the time you retire (assuming you're pretty young).

DO people sometimes get lucky off of investing in one company? Sure. Definitely happens. But there are also a hell of a lot of people who lose their shirt doing that, as well.

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
I wanna buy low and sell high af. What's the best way to learn?
You can start with "paper trading", just to see how good you can be, or the opposite. The thing is, there is no real emotions (fear, hope, greed). It's just a game: oh well, it's going down, it's fine I'll wait. Recipe for disaster.

Never get emotional, to avoid that just don't use money that you really need now or later...

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
But it is nonsense that economists and the field of economics in general are the ones proposing this.

I don't see a majority of US economists advocating for universal healthcare, free college education and a state funded secondary way of education, higher minimum wages and massive expansions of social services.
In fact, not even most Democrats are doing that...

Oct 25, 2017

The stupid American president is commenting on the stock market.

This tweet makes absolutely no sense at all. Who is making a big mistake?

Deleted member 11002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's still a pretty big cushion before it dips under the initial boon from election day.

And people in here realize that markets constantly fluctuate right? It's been up close to 20% over the last year. Thaat's huge. It was goign to adjust at some point, so it'll go down, and then it'll go back up. This is what happens. You have to want to drive yourself insane to look at your accounts every day like this and think a drop is the end of the world

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA

The stupid American president is commenting on the stock market.

This tweet makes absolutely no sense at all. Who is making a big mistake?

If he was smarter I'd guess he's saying that publicly traded companies used to invest in their employees, but now see them as a cost burden that depress profit margins. And that reacting negatively to wage increases is a sign that these companies and the stock market have lost their way.

But lmao at our used car salesman in chief holding a view like that.

Ahhthe90s

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
HPkn4UV.png

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Totally went in on SVXY and am up about 1.2K from buying on the dip. Not expecting too much, volatility seems here to stay and it is definitely not going to get as high as it was anytime soon (while Trump is president). But I can do a little profit taking later I think.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see a majority of US economists advocating for universal healthcare, free college education and a state funded secondary way of education, higher minimum wages and massive expansions of social services.
In fact, not even most Democrats are doing that...
Sorry but the comment was decrying the field of economics. Specificity is important.

That is like me saying Germany is a Nazi country, because it happens that there are still Nazis in Germany.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Sorry but the comment was decrying the field of economics. Specificity is important.

That is like me saying Germany is a Nazi country, because it happens that there are still Nazis in Germany.

I said the original comment lacked specificity, but the general direction was correct.
American economists, blindly following capitalist dogma, have lost sense for the normative aspect of an economic system.
What the US has is not a fair system, its not a just system, its not a system that works for society, but a society that works for the system. Its a system designed by a powerful minority and tailored towards the needs of that powerful minority. And if that weren't enough, people who don't benefit off of that system are told that they do.
The data shows that thats not true, better alternatives are available and known.
American economists fail to communicate that to the people.
Who is to blame for the failure of the American system if not the people who should know the most about the economy?

30 mil uninsured Americans, insufficient healthcare for many more millions, medical bills the no. 1 reason for private bankruptcy, completely outdated educational system that leaves 70% of the population behind, comparatively low social mobility due to rampant wealth(and therefor opportunity) inequality, widespread homelessness and many more things.
Truth is that most economists don't even consider these failures of the systems, they see them as inherent to the system.
Thats wrong, they're wrong, and they deserve the shit they get.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Investing in individual stocks is generally not advisable, unless you're just doing it to play around.

If your job offers a 401(k) or other retirement plan, you should be participating in that, especially if they offer a match of any kind. With that, you will be invested in mutual funds that invest in many companies, which helps mitigate risk.

You're not going to get rich overnight by doing that, but you will usually make steady returns, and you should be in good shape by the time you retire (assuming you're pretty young).

DO people sometimes get lucky off of investing in one company? Sure. Definitely happens. But there are also a hell of a lot of people who lose their shirt doing that, as well.
Investing in individual stocks is perfectly fine so long as you invest in many and not in penny stocks. Get about 8-10 different stocks and you have about the same amount of risk as a mutual fund.

That being said, I'd highly suggest anyone putting any money in the stock market to not put in many that they'll need in the near future. And if you have a 401k match with your company that's another thing.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Investing in individual stocks is perfectly fine so long as you invest in many and not in penny stocks. Get about 8-10 different stocks and you have about the same amount of risk as a mutual fund.

That being said, I'd highly suggest anyone putting any money in the stock market to not put in many that they'll need in the near future. And if you have a 401k match with your company that's another thing.

Oh sure, I agree with that, and I believe that Buffett gives the same advice; 10 or 12 companies that you understand and can follow.

I was more referring to the people who think it's a good idea to put all of their money into ONE company. I've seen people advise putting everything into Apple, or Microsoft, or Amazon, etc, etc. And yeah, while you COULD get lucky and have this work out for you, it could very easily go the other way.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't sell like a foo and don't buy like a sucka. Yes..... Now I need money :(.

How much success do people have looking at things like the EA star wars fiasco and capitalizing on it in some way?

this is probably a dumb question.
Look up two concepts: "dollar cost averaging" and "efficient capital market hypothesis." Those should explain.

You can start with "paper trading", just to see how good you can be, or the opposite. The thing is, there is no real emotions (fear, hope, greed). It's just a game: oh well, it's going down, it's fine I'll wait. Recipe for disaster.

Never get emotional, to avoid that just don't use money that you really need now or later...
Don't do this. Get an emergency fund, then put everything else into tax advantaged retirement vehicles. Check out the retirement investing thread here on ERA.

Keyboard

I strongly disagree: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157391

Alpha Architect: "Between 1983 and 2006, around 73% of firms had a drawdown larger than 50% (the S&P 500's maximum drawdown during this period was around 44%). Holding one individual stock can be very risky!"

Barber and Odean Study: "Of 66,465 households with accounts at a large discount broker during 1991 to 1996, those that trade most earned an annual return of 11.4 percent, while the market returned 17.9 percent."

Michael Batnick, CFA: "Ordinary investors would be well served if they thought for a second about who they were transacting with. Over 90% of today's volume is done by institutions, so chances are that your counter-party has done their homework."

Brett Arends, Wall Street Journal columnist: "Buy individual stocks only as a gamble."

Benjamin Graham: "I have little confidence, even in the ability of analysts, let alone untrained investors, to select common stocks what will give better than average results."

Bill Bernstein, author of The Four Pillars of Investing: "Picking individual stocks is like volleying with the Williams sisters."

Jack Bogle: "Attempting to build an investment program around a handful of individual securities is, for all but the most exceptional investors, a fool's errand."

Adam Bold, author, adviser: "Mutual funds don't have the pizzazz of the hot stocks of the moment. If you're looking for entertainment, go gambling in Las Vegas. But if you want to accumulate real money for your retirement and other goals, mutual funds are the safer bet."

James Dahle, MD, financial advisor, and author of The White-Coat Investor: "Think you know how to pick stocks? Then guess again. Every time you buy or sell the person on the other side of the trade likely has an IQ of 160, spends 70 hours per week analyzing his industry, and has access to computing power and databases you can only dream of."

Dalbar Research Report (July 15, 2003): "The average equity investor earned a paltry 2.57% annually; compared to inflation of 3.14% and the 12.22% the S & P 500 index earned annually for the last 19 years."

Charles Ellis author of Winning the Loser's Game: "If you, like Walter Mitty, still fantasize that you can and will beat the pros, you'll need both luck and prayer."

Kenneth French: Former President of the American Finance Association: "The market is smarter than we are and no matter how smart we get, the market will always be smarter than we are."

Sy Harding, Forbes contributor: "My advice – avoid individual stocks! Even experienced full-time professional money managers, with staffs of trained people performing research, with access to data, software, and corporate contacts that most part-time investors could not come close to duplicating, struggle to match the market's performance by buying, holding, or selling individual stocks."

Danial Kahneman, Nobel Laureate: "There is general agreement among researchers that nearly all stock pickers, whether they know it or not-and few of them do-are playing a game of chance."

Kiplinger Personal Finance "Eight Stocks to Buy Now" in the January, 2015 forecast issue under-performed its "Five Stocks to Sell" twelve months later.

Michael Lewis, former bond broker and financial journalist: "A vast industry of stockbrokers, financial planners, and investment advisers skims a fortune for themselves off the top in exchange for passing their clients' money on to people who, as a whole, cannot possibly outperform the market."

Mathwizard: The vast majority of trades you would make are between you and a professional investor. Both of you are assigning a value to the stock, and one of you thnks the price is high and another thinks it is low. Who do you suppose is more likely to be right.

Standard & Poor's: When the S&P 500 index was officially formed in 1957 to its 50th anniversary in 2007, only 86 of the original 500 companies still remained.

Larry Swedroe, author of many financial books: "Owning individual stocks and sector funds is more akin to speculating, not investing."

David Swensen, Chief Investment Officer of Yale University: "There's no way that spending a few hours a week looking at individual securities is going to equip an investor to compete with the incredibly talented, highly qualified, extremely educated individuals who spend their entire professional careers trying to pick stocks."

Eric Tyson, author of Mutual Funds for Dummies: The notion that most average people and non-investment professionals can, with minimal effort, beat the best full-time, experienced money managers is, how should I say, ludicrous and absurd."

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 27, 2017
If you understand the technicals and research the history of how a company performs (ie: does it have a trend of its price going up or down after a good earnings report?) then you should be okay.

I just started with options a few months ago and tripled my starting investment. But yes, you should always assume that you'll only profit if you are matching the strategy of the large funds doing most of the trading. Unless you have a several million to manipulate the stock price with.

Keyboard

If you understand the technicals and research the history of how a company performs (ie: does it have a trend of its price going up or down after a good earnings report?) then you should be okay.
You'll end up with a portfolio that picks things from an index.

The index manages itself. Bad companies are dropped from it and replaced with better performing ones over time.
Hopefully you'll survive a downturn.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool. In my experience I've beaten the market every single year that I've been investing.
Assuming that what some anonymous internet post is saying is true, your single experience is in no way indicative of the reality for most people (given the data). There will always be outliers who outperform the market. But if you think that even the past 9 years is indicative of anything, you're delusional.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Most stocks improved their price over the recession after it and the last recession was worse than most. So long as you don't panic sell or buy a company ready to fold under pressure long term gains are still available. If you expect to flip a stock 3 times a week and do better than the market or anything like that, that's not happening.

Assuming that what some anonymous internet post is saying is true, your single experience is in no way indicative of the reality for most people (given the data). There will always be outliers who outperform the market. But if you think that even the past 9 years is indicative of anything, you're delusional.

Actively traded brokers are pretty bad and that's what that's being compared to. The way I invest is more like a mutual fund in the first place, I don't sell that often.

Oct 27, 2017
You'll end up with a portfolio that picks things from an index.

The index manages itself. Bad companies are dropped from it and replaced with better performing ones over time.

No I mean if you know a stock consistently goes down, then that's a good time to short it. I'm talking about trading options which are of course higher risk for the higher reward.

Trading stocks, you might expect what like 10% annually? There's not much strategy involved with trading a stock so an index fund that you don't do worry about may make sense.

Geirskogul

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't confuse Economists with MBAs from Harvard and Chicago.

OK, what about the PHDs from Harvard and UChicago working for the propaganda mills thinktanks funded by billionaire conservatives and libertarians that constantly produce "research" advocating for the regressive policies that I have previously outlined. You all seem to think these people are the fringe, when in reality they are the consensus. Mainstream economics has an incredibly strong conservative and libertarian tilt, both in the business world and academia; the few progressive economists out there are the actual fringe. The reason Piketty's thesis blew up and garnered as much attention as it did was because it contradicted and flew directly in the face of decades of consensus regarding the inconsequentiality of inequality and effective taxation policy.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
we are in a bubble economy and it is due to burst any time. but its obvious that the stock market and how global corporations are doing are not directly related to the economy and how PEOPLE are doing. And i dont understand why the media and other sources treat it in this manner

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Cool. In my experience I've beaten the market every single year that I've been investing.

Beating the "market" (which market?) in raw returns is not necessarily that notable. The key is beating it in risk-adjusted return:
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/riskadjustedreturn.asp

A lot of people who talk about beating the market these days are heavily invested in the tech sector, which has over-performed. But weighting heavily in any sector opens you up to addition risk due to correlation between the stocks.

Higher risk portfolios are expected to have higher average returns.