• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
So I finally started playing ranked online consistently, I've been playing since the game was out but no so much online.

I managed to rank up to Super Sayan 3 which I was quite proud of since it didn't take me that long, but since I got there I keep getting matched against players that actually know how to play the game fully lol , and now I have a much harder time getting wins.
The positive thing is that I'm pretty sure what I'm doing wrong : I never use assist, or absolutely don't use them correctly when I do.

My current team is Videl / Broly / Frieza (correct me if I'm wrong but these 3 have pretty weak assists compared to the good ones right?) Imo they have a good synergy outside of assist combos, but I can't figure out a way to do assist combos with that team, which would greatly help me build bars quickly.

So questions :

-Is my team doomed to never be able to pull off efficient assist combos, or did I just not found anything worthwile but it exists?
-I will have a very hard time replacing someone in that team : I've been playing Frieza since day one and love him, Broly is my most efficient character in the game after Frieza, and I really like Videl in point(that's the first char right?), most of the time people have a hard time starting against her and then getting pressured by Broly (switching often between the 2 really seems to give a hard time to most opponents) I spent some time playing SSJ goku and Vegeta, Zamasu and some other so I can use other chars. If I'd ask you who you would change in that team in order to be able to make better assist combos, and who you would replace them with, what would you say? (I'm waiting to get back home afterwork to try kid goku, which I could put instead of videl if he's as fun and original to play as she is.)

Just replace Videl with a strong point character like SSB Goku, SS Goku, Goku Black, Teen Gohan or dare I say.....Bardock. Frieza and Broly are perfect where they are placed on your team.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Just replace Videl with a strong point character like SSB Goku, SS Goku, Goku Black, Teen Gohan or dare I say.....Bardock. Frieza and Broly are perfect where they are placed on your team.

I figured as much regarding Broly and Frieza's placement, since I quickly realised that a Broly comin in with some bars already available is quite efficient, and as for Frieza, yeah install lvl 3 is all I need to say lol

Yes I already tried but not online to replace Videl with SS Goku since I know how to play him and he's quite efficient, but would that team in that order allow me some assist combos? I tried a lot of stuff but I can't seem to find a good way to extend a combo with Broly or frieza's assist. I think probably for Frieza it's because of my timing, since it seems possible to relaunch someone with his assist, but for Broly, I can't find anything. I usually use his assist when the opponent gets up so I can rush him at the same time (this is not very efficient^^) I'll give a shot online to SS Goku as a point anyway, he's fun to play and I know stuff with him :) Might try SS vegeta too since apparently he got rebuffed ^^ but I have a hard time seeing him as a good point for me.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I figured as much regarding Broly and Frieza's placement, since I quickly realised that a Broly comin in with some bars already available is quite efficient, and as for Frieza, yeah install lvl 3 is all I need to say lol

Yes I already tried but not online to replace Videl with SS Goku since I know how to play him and he's quite efficient, but would that team in that order allow me some assist combos? I tried a lot of stuff but I can't seem to find a good way to extend a combo with Broly or frieza's assist. I think probably for Frieza it's because of my timing, since it seems possible to relaunch someone with his assist, but for Broly, I can't find anything. I usually use his assist when the opponent gets up so I can rush him at the same time (this is not very efficient^^) I'll give a shot online to SS Goku as a point anyway, he's fun to play and I know stuff with him :) Might try SS vegeta too since apparently he got rebuffed ^^ but I have a hard time seeing him as a good point for me.

You might be able to use Frieza's assist with Broly after his air command grab. I use SSB Goku's assist with it which adds extra damage with a hard knockdown. You might be able to extend a Broly combo with a Frieza assist.

Vulnicura

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hopped online after not playing for maybe a year or so? Got completely destroyed on casual matches with everyone doing assist combos and the works. Forgot how unbearable pressure is in this game - remembered why I stopped playing!

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
You might be able to use Frieza's assist with Broly after his air command grab. I use SSB Goku's assist with it which adds extra damage with a hard knockdown. You might be able to extend a Broly combo with a Frieza assist.
If this is possible I have very poor timing lol, I tried that but can't hit it. We're talking about Broly's J214 command grab right? Most of the time with a broly air combo, I do the S hit that grabs the opponent and crashes him down, then combo on the 214 command grab and end with his lvl 3.

But I'm wondering if I could do the frieza assist after the air S if I'm not high enought to have the animation and rebound you get when doing the airS from high enough ( which allows to chain with the air command grab and then lvl 3, or maybe even with frieza's assist? Mmmmh I don't think I tried all that lol)

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
If this is possible I have very poor timing lol, I tried that but can't hit it. We're talking about Broly's J214 command grab right? Most of the time with a broly air combo, I do the S hit that grabs the opponent and crashes him down, then combo on the 214 command grab and end with his lvl 3.

But I'm wondering if I could do the frieza assist after the air S if I'm not high enought to have the animation and rebound you get when doing the airS from high enough ( which allows to chain with the air command grab and then lvl 3, or maybe even with frieza's assist? Mmmmh I don't think I tried all that lol)

Give it a shot. It should work, but I'm not sure where you would go from there. Maybe SD or vanish and go from there.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Videl assist is solid. Basically a slightly weaker Bardock's. Broly's and Frieza's are also very very good. You probably just have poor timing.

IMO Broly/Videl/Frieza is probably best order since Broly's presence in neutral is much more threatening than Videl's. Videl is better once you got them cornered.

I think Videl makes better use of other assists than Broly/Frieza's, but you can absolutely make them work.

Some simple examples using your team

Last edited:

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Give it a shot. It should work, but I'm not sure where you would go from there. Maybe SD or vanish and go from there.
Yep, I tried and it can work but mainly in the corner, and as far as i could find it doesnt lead to more damage than what Im used to do instead.
However I just realiszd the timing for the frieza assist when i finish an air combo with videl with 236 medium hit(sorry forgot the marking in this game^^), it allows me to pick back up in the air and send back down for a super with any of the other 2 :)
Brolys assist is a lost cause for combos extensions i think ^^ its okay hes so strong on everything else.
Anyway I tried kid goku, hes really fun but he wont bring me anything different as a point than videl. So Ill keep this team to try these assist extensions and worst case Ill replace videl with ss goku.
Also yeah Im gonna try a piccolo kid goku and yamcha team in casual, just because ^^

Videl assist is solid. Basically a slightly weaker Bardock's. Broly's and Frieza's are also very very good. You probably just have poor timing.

IMO Broly/Videl/Frieza is probably best order since Broly's presence in neutral is much more threatening than Videl's. Videl is better once you got them cornered.

I think Videl makes better use of other assists than Broly/Frieza's, but you can absolutely make them work.
Actually, right now i couldnt tell you what videl's assist is ^^ when i switch her for broly i go into the stuff i know with him, and by reflex if i use an assist its frieza. Back to the training room :)
And yeah it was very poor timing on my oart, I actually didnt realise before you could start the assist before an animation and it would still work, and it seems to be necessary for frieza assist. Than you for the advices :)

Last edited:

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I tried and it can work but mainly in the corner, and as far as i could find it doesnt lead to more damage than what Im used to do instead.
However I just realiszd the timing for the frieza assist when i finish an air combo with videl with 236 medium hit(sorry forgot the marking in this game^^), it allows me to pick back up in the air and send back down for a super with any of the other 2 :)
Brolys assist is a lost cause for combos extensions i think ^^ its okay hes so strong on everything else.
Anyway I tried kid goku, hes really fun but he wont bring me anything different as a point than videl. So Ill keep this team to try these assist extensions and worst case Ill replace videl with ss goku.
Also yeah Im gonna try a piccolo kid goku and yamcha team in casual, just because ^^

Actually, right now i couldnt tell you what videl's assist is ^^ when i switch her for broly i go into the stuff i know with him, and by reflex if i use an assist its frieza. Back to the training room :)
And yeah it was very poor timing on my oart, I actually didnt realise before you could start the assist before an animation and it would still work, and it seems to be necessary for frieza assist. Than you for the advices :)

Here's another one.

Make sure you're using either Tatsunical's Discord, the various character Discords, and the character hashtags. You can probably find more optimized combos using these characters pretty easily.

I linked them all in my post here as well as other ways to improve:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/dragon-ball-fighterz-ot2-lets-rock-the-dragon.42836/post-18270551

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017

Here's another one.

Make sure you're using either Tatsunical's Discord, the various character Discords, and the character hashtags. You can probably find more optimized combos using these characters pretty easily.

Holy shit I can extend my combo AFTER Brolys lvl 3 with Videl's assist??? Lol Im such a scrub, thank you !

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Hopped online after not playing for maybe a year or so? Got completely destroyed on casual matches with everyone doing assist combos and the works. Forgot how unbearable pressure is in this game - remembered why I stopped playing!
Truthfully I believe this to be the most oppressive FG I've ever played online out of MvCI, BBTAG, IJ2, MKx, SC6, and Smash. To be fair, I have minor online exp with SFV and Tekken7. I play MvC2 at Arcade (we have a local arcade with that game and it is to die for!). But I only play MvC2 casual level so for all I know it's much worse than here. Let's make that clear-- I'm just playing MvC2 against other noobs

I'm here for the dbfz characters. Wish there was an 1 vs 1 mode that would be much easier to play. They already have the mode. just make it online. Would be an unbalanced mess prob though I couldnt even imagine since my understanding of this game is like Demon rank tops right now lmao

But in the end, we just have to accept the game that ASW made for us. just go in the lab and practice different scenarios, mess around with different characters to increase your matchup knowledge, learn the combo system (just basic universal BnB should get you to my rank or higher), etc -- and we will take these basic concepts with us to our next game.

edit- BnB == bread and butter combo, universal BnB = see MaxDood dbfz video or something

Last edited:

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I'd say color square seems more indicative (though by no means 100% accurate) of what to expect from other players than ranked mode titles, the latter seeming to boil down more to how much time people are willing to invest playing in that mode than anything else. Then there's how many matches the player has fought and won relative to their rank. For something like SFV, ranked titles seem to carry more weight, and are both much harder to gain and far easier to lose.

To elaborate, I've seen players of Supreme Kai rank who've fought more than a thousand matches, yet they would be much higher if they won more of them. I've fought less than 200 ranked matches, yet managed to reach Demon and get the 530,000 BP trophy in spite of playing less there as a result of having won most of those.

Last edited:

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Personally, I'd say color square seems more indicative (though by no means 100% accurate) of what to expect from other players than ranked mode titles, the latter seeming to boil down more to how much time people are willing to invest playing in that mode than anything else. Then there's how many matches the player has fought and won relative to their rank. For something like SFV, ranked titles seem to carry more weight, and are both much harder to gain and far easier to lose.

To elaborate, I've seen players of Supreme Kai rank who've fought more than a thousand matches, yet they would be much higher if they won more of them. I've fought less than 200 ranked matches, yet managed to reach Demon and get the 530,000 BP trophy in spite of playing less there as a result of having won most of those.
I agree that the square color means more since it directly comes from your win/loss ratio. Im much more apprehending of a player with 400 and 300 wins than a player with 4000 matches and 3000 wins. Same percentage of loss, but the first one plays much better most of the time (or is a rage quiter since there seems to still be no punishment for that?)

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that the square color means more since it directly comes from your win/loss ratio. Im much more apprehending of a player with 400 and 300 wins than a player with 4000 matches and 3000 wins. Same percentage of loss, but the first one plays much better most of the time (or is a rage quiter since there seems to still be no punishment for that?)
Supposedly rage quitters get lumped in with other ones after doing it enough, but I don't really remember. What I do recall is that they would have to do it before the K.O. is announced, as the results are registered with the network as soon as that happens.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Square color doesnt mean anything. We can all be Pink. Just RQ when you losing

I lost my red color due to losing to my same buddy in Ring. By the same token, just grind a buddy to get promoted. Combine that with RQ on your last character and you'll hit Pink. Sure your 'completion' rate will go bad if you quit too much. But maybe you can trick the system there by like hopping into a Ring match against a different color and just make sure not to quit after like 10 consecutive matches or something.

Now I'm not stupid. Some Pinks will totally murder you while some others you'll be like- yo this guy might not be legit and sure enough they RQ on their last

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
In my case, I last played against a fellow pink square in casuals with a better ranked win record than I had, but still managed to beat him twice, having expected it to be much more difficult and had been prepared to lose. But yeah, like I mentioned, by no means a completely accurate representation of player ability.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
In my case, I last played against a fellow pink square in casuals with a better ranked win record than I had, but still managed to beat him twice, having expected it to be much more difficult and had been prepared to lose. But yeah, like I mentioned, by no means a completely accurate representation of player ability.
You're probably no doubt just legit good with solid fundamentals. Need to make sure to try to catch up with you later tonight or so-- so I can put you on follow. Maybe I'll learn something to help me out

edit- I could meet in a lobby right now if you have time. I cant play. But at least I can get you on follow

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Only played a (VERY) small amount of Kid Goku this morning but outside of the SSJ1/3/4 stuff (and I guess the spirit bomb) this Goku is what I wanted out of a kid Goku so I'm happy.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I still need to play with him more before I know how I feel but-- hes gotten off to a good start. Really nice assist that feels very versatile while at the sametime- it's different from the others. I would've been fine with a plain beam assist but this works

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Supposedly rage quitters get lumped in with other ones after doing it enough, but I don't really remember. What I do recall is that they would have to do it before the K.O. is announced, as the results are registered with the network as soon as that happens.
Yeah that's what happens the few times it happens to me ^^

Also, I'm online trying to finally get my arena matches trophy to get the platinium, if anyone is here

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Played around with Kid Goku for a bit. I can see him giving me fits online. He's got range, utility, damage and some decent mixups.

The new Arcade mode was a nice little surprise with how the randomizers work. Just wish we can fully customize the BMG for this mode.

Vulnicura

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Truthfully I believe this to be the most oppressive FG I've ever played online out of MvCI, BBTAG, IJ2, MKx, SC6, and Smash. To be fair, I have minor online exp with SFV and Tekken7. I play MvC2 at Arcade (we have a local arcade with that game and it is to die for!). But I only play MvC2 casual level so for all I know it's much worse than here. Let's make that clear-- I'm just playing MvC2 against other noobs

I'm here for the dbfz characters. Wish there was an 1 vs 1 mode that would be much easier to play. They already have the mode. just make it online. Would be an unbalanced mess prob though I couldnt even imagine since my understanding of this game is like Demon rank tops right now lmao

But in the end, we just have to accept the game that ASW made for us. just go in the lab and practice different scenarios, mess around with different characters to increase your matchup knowledge, learn the combo system (just basic universal BnB should get you to my rank or higher), etc -- and we will take these basic concepts with us to our next game.

edit- BnB == bread and butter combo, universal BnB = see MaxDood dbfz video or something

My experience is the opposite where dbfz was my first fighting game experience so I didn't realise there were things that I hated until I dipped my toes in other games. Tekken 7 is the game I've invested most time into and I love that most strings are about 4 hits long, so pressure is a completely different ball park to dbfz where you can legitimately be stuck defending for 30 seconds with very small windows of opportunity to take a turn.

A thing I've realised is that I don't like fighting game systems or mechanics that reward you for making the other person unable to play the game, ie dbfz at least in comparison to the other fighting games I've played, is extremely aggressive and all about pressure, which ultimately makes it a very boring and unfun experience when you're stuck in the corner with nothing really to do but hope you guess right and if not... well hope you're prepared to do it all again.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
My experience is the opposite where dbfz was my first fighting game experience so I didn't realise there were things that I hated until I dipped my toes in other games. Tekken 7 is the game I've invested most time into and I love that most strings are about 4 hits long, so pressure is a completely different ball park to dbfz where you can legitimately be stuck defending for 30 seconds with very small windows of opportunity to take a turn.

A thing I've realised is that I don't like fighting game systems or mechanics that reward you for making the other person unable to play the game, ie dbfz at least in comparison to the other fighting games I've played, is extremely aggressive and all about pressure, which ultimately makes it a very boring and unfun experience when you're stuck in the corner with nothing really to do but hope you guess right and if not... well hope you're prepared to do it all again.

if it makes you feel any better, any combo that starts low (2M) scales really hard (does a lot of dmg). So if it's a guessing game then block low so they're combo will get scaled hard. But yeah usually you want to play lots of matches against the same opponent so you get a chance to learn their blockstrings. Then you'll just start automatically blocking their hits and do better in the matchup. I usually prefer to fight people on the FG Era discord so I know we can play lots of matches.

Didnt play Tekken 7 awhole lot. It looks like it could get annoying if you fight someone really good and they get a nice Juggle combo going on you and get you up against a wall for an extended combo. Checkout Soul calibur 6 it's also a 3d fighter and the combos are real short there. Even the pros have short combos from what I watched in tourneys

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I got a bit sloppier at times than I would've liked, but I had fun. Thanks for the games.

I knew had recognized the name FSLink from earlier, no wonder I stood no chance against him. Hoping to actually earn this pink square of mine one day (though indeed, that was a perfect example of why said network colors don't mean all that much).

EDIT: Other than avoiding drops, I need far more work with landing cross-ups with consistency.

EDIT2: I've discussed what I need to work on enough here, so one thing I'd say you should keep in mind. Consider spending the cash more often when you have it and the opponent's health is low enough, there were definitely times when you could've taken out characters on my team following sliding knockdowns (sometimes with DHCs, other times solo).

Last edited:

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Anyone feel like doing some arena matches? Been a long time since I've actually played anyone from the thread and my bad habits have only gotten worse since the last time. That and I'm getting a bunch of really bad connection matches tonight and want to find out if it's everyone else that's the problem or if it's me...

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Yeah FSLink does that to everyone though. The other day he told me he beat KnowKami in a match. It's great to play against him though

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah FSLink does that to everyone though. The other day he told me he beat KnowKami in a match. It's great to play against him though
That makes it a bit less disheartening, then.

I haven't paid much mind to Trunks after starting out with him in S1, may cycle him in on occasion again (in spite of not being wild about his Lv. 3 limitations).

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
God SSJ4 looks as terrible in this game as it does in GT.

What? Why would they throw SSJ4 as a random skin on SSJ1 Goku? These people didn't design a whole brand new character.
I'm unfamiliar with GT, but don't they use pretty much the same moves? They could change the level 3 animation but have it still function the same too.

Regardless, the point of my post was costumes. Plenty of other characters have alternate outfits that modders included, why can't ArkSys?

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I'm unfamiliar with GT, but don't they use pretty much the same moves? They could change the level 3 animation but have it still function the same too.

Regardless, the point of my post was costumes. Plenty of other characters have alternate outfits that modders included, why can't ArkSys?
Oh I'm with you a hundred percent on wanting costumes. I'd happily pay too (much to the chagrin of many vocal gamers). They even did it with Videl, built in with a shortcut, so I dunno why they can't do more. They don't seem to be a dev that does that sort of thing, though.

For all my distaste of SSJ4, the form has a lot of unique moves. See Kid's level 3 for example. It'd be a missed opportunity to just make it a skin.

Not that we don't have enough Gokus already lol

Give me Badman Vegeta or give me death.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I'm with you a hundred percent on wanting costumes. I'd happily pay too (much to the chagrin of many vocal gamers). They even did it with Videl, built in with a shortcut, so I dunno why they can't do more. They don't seem to be a dev that does that sort of thing, though.

For all my distaste of SSJ4, the form has a lot of unique moves. See Kid's level 3 for example. It'd be a missed opportunity to just make it a skin.

They did with Noel in BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma/Chrono Phantasma Extend and Elphelt in Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR-/Rev2. It's not that they don't do it so much as they tend not to make it a priority.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Ahh true, so yeah it'd be better to save SSJ4 Goku as a unique character (I don't mind all the Gokus lol, he is the main character after all). But yeah, you get what I mean. Give me Vegeta with the pink vacation shirt damnit, or even Blue Evolution Vegeta which is just a darker blue!

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
They did with Noel in BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma/Chrono Phantasma Extend and Elphelt in Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR-/Rev2. It's not that they don't do it so much as they tend not to make it a priority.
Yeah I didn't necessarily mean they NEVER never do it, just, like you said, not a priority.

Which I think is a damn shame.

Casual Piccolo!

Cop Krillin!

Farmer Goku!

Gimme those silly Halloween or Christmas chibi costumes but in the actual game!

I'll take it all!
Ahh true, so yeah it'd be better to save SSJ4 Goku as a unique character (I don't mind all the Gokus lol, he is the main character after all). But yeah, you get what I mean. Give me Vegeta with the pink vacation shirt damnit, or even Blue Evolution Vegeta which is just a darker blue!
Only if they give Bluegeta the self explosion move! He was my favorite part of ToP. ;_;

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that we got an extra costume for Videl is already pretty surprising, so I wouldn't be too surprised to see if they do a few more.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like Buu Saga Vegeta's and Trunks Cell Games attire, but I can see ArcSys making Majin Vegeta a separate character. They can do DBS Trunks with no issue imo.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
The only costume you should all want is Drivers Ed Piccolo. What is wrong with you

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
like, I'd legit play 5 bucks for a costume, same as a new char, because I only really play as 4-5 chars. Rather than buying season pass charcs I won't ever play, I'd rather see my mains in something different.