Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
i will never again feel the joy of stumbling upon a new DBZ VHS at my local HMV

3 episodes for $30 to see final form freeza fight goku when the ocean dub was still doing the endless repeat thing on canadian tv

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
He has changed his opinion on characters and stuff before but regardless I don't see a new Smash director or Nintendo fighting to get Goku in lol

Changed his mind, sure. But inserting a character into a game all about video games who isn't a video game characters is quite a leap. And no, Goku isn't a video game character. He's an anime character who gets put into a log of video games. Like we don't say Michael Jackson is a video game character because he's in Moonwalker.

He has changed his opinion on characters and stuff before but regardless I don't see a new Smash director or Nintendo fighting to get Goku in lol

Bandai sure in hell would. lol

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Changed his mind, sure. But inserting a character into a game all about video games who isn't a video game characters is quite a leap. And no, Goku isn't a video game character. He's an anime character who gets put into a log of video games. Like we don't say Michael Jackson is a video game character because he's in Moonwalker.

Smash used to be all about Nintendo characters. Then they added Cloud, who is about as far from being a Nintendo character as you can get without delving into competitor's exclusives. Also, Goku isn't just in a lot of video games, he's been in them since like 2 years after his first appearance and his franchise was carried primarily by video games for a solid decade. I agree that if they ever decided to add non-game characters, Popeye should go first, but I'd say Goku should be second.

TeamLeftMatch

Oct 25, 2017
Smash used to be all about Nintendo characters. Then they added Cloud, who is about as far from being a Nintendo character as you can get without delving into competitor's exclusives

Snake came out before cloud and around the same time as MGS4, a PS3 exclusive, even had some music from that game. Smash is a celebration of Video games hense why they would use the popular or well known character to represent a series Cloud for FF and Ryu for SF.

So why did this thread turn into smash stuff for Goku?

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
And no, Goku isn't a video game character. He's an anime character who gets put into a log of video games. Like we don't say Michael Jackson is a video game character because he's in Moonwalker.
I know that
we'd get luffy in that case

hqdefault.jpg

it's part of the cycle now I guess

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Snake came out before cloud and around the same time as MGS4, a PS3 exclusive, even had some music from that game. Smash is a celebration of Video games hense why they would use the popular or well known character to represent a series Cloud for FF and Ryu for SF.

I know Snake came first, I never said he didn't. I'm just saying that Smash used to be a celebration of Nintendo characters for the whole first 2 games, and that got gradually eroded to the point that even Cloud got in. Going from 'no non-Nintendo characters' to Cloud is a bigger jump than going from 'no non-videogame characters' to Goku.

Oct 25, 2017

Michael Jackson wasn't in a commercial with Mario advertising the SNES and in a boat load of games for three decades so miss me with that comparison.

Lotus asked me how long I planned on keeping my Avatar.

Oct 25, 2017
So, are you expecting Buster Bunny?
Does Buster Bunny have Goku's extensive video game history?

The reasons Goku should get a spot compile and I'm rarely making an argument because of one.

Goku has been in video games since before most of us were even born and is still relevant today.
Has a bigger history on Nintendo systems than most of the Smash roster.

Again, why would you not want to kamehameha Mario? This would be like deciding not to make Space Jam. This is like passing on The Rock for Fast Five.

Sure, you can continue business as usual, but why would you do that when you can be something special.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

The reasons Goku should get a spot compile and I'm rarely making an argument because of one.

Goku has been in video games since before most of us were even born and is still relevant today.

Again, why would you not want to kamehameha Mario? This would be like deciding not to make Space Jam. This is like passing on The Rock for Fast Five.

Sure, you can continue business as usual, but why would you do that when you can be something special.

Because Goku isn't a video game character. He's an anime character who has been in a lot of games, more often based on the anime. You know another anime character who has been in video games long before Goku, Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star who just got a game released this year in March.

Also, "why would you not want to kamehameha Mario", we already have Mario that does a type a Kamehameha on top of Ryu, one of the original Kamehameha type fighters. And, " would be like deciding not to make Space Jam", given how Space Jam kinda sucks, that isn't helping your point.

Oct 25, 2017
The hoops you're jumping through to try and justify this are ridiculous.
Like I've said, if he doesn't get in, he doesn't get in and that's fine. Won't bitch at all.

But he's more than qualified. That's all I'm saying.

There's no hoop to jump through, just acknowledging the history perfectly laid out for all of us to look at and appreciate.

Because Goku isn't a video game character. He's an anime character who has been in a lot of games, more often based on the anime. You know another anime character who has been in video games long before Goku, Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star who just got a game released this year in March.

Also, "why would you not want to kamehameha Mario", we already have Mario that does a type a Kamehameha on top of Ryu, one of the original Kamehameha type fighters. And, " would be like deciding not to make Space Jam", given how Space Jam kinda sucks, that isn't helping your point.
Okay? But is Kenshiro nearly as iconic as Goku or all that relevant today? No, so what's your point?

Even if you don't like Space Jam, it was still an iconic crossover.

Last edited:

Stunner911

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wakanda

tenor.gif

Oct 25, 2017
You know I'm still gonna remember these conversations when it happens right? Take note of the amount of obnoxious nose rubbing you're signing up for.

Jager

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'd actually be annoyed if Goku made it in, there's still plenty of neglected Nintendo IPs that deserve a slot on the roster.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Geno's actually been highly requested for a long time

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Like I've said, if he doesn't get in, he doesn't get in and that's fine. Won't bitch at all.

But he's more than qualified. That's all I'm saying.

There's no hoop to jump through, just acknowledging the history perfectly laid out for all of us to look at and appreciate.

Okay? But is Kenshiro nearly as iconic as Goku or all that relevant today? No, so what's your point?

Even if you don't like Space Jam, it was still an iconic crossover.

Kenshiro in many ways is more iconic than Goku since Fist of North Star is the grandfather of Shōnen. And Smash isn't just 'who relevant today'. I mean, any Smash fan knows that.

Space Jam isn't iconic. That's Who Frame Roger Rabbit. Space Jam wasn't even really a crossover since all it had was the Merry Melody characters. House of Mouse is more of a crossover.

They ran out of those like two games ago. Every thing else is bottom of the barrel tier

And they would still be better than Goku.

Like? Let's hear it.

Off the top of my head. Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X, Rex or Prya (although I really want Mythra or Morag) from Xenoblade 2.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Kenshiro in many ways is more iconic than Goku since Fist of North Star is the grandfather of Shōnen. And Smash isn't just 'who relevant today'. I mean, any Smash fan knows that.

Space Jam isn't iconic. That's Who Frame Roger Rabbit. Space Jam wasn't even really a crossover since all it had was the Merry Melody characters. House of Mouse is more of a crossover.

And they would still be better than Goku.
Yeah sure, the people definitely want Kenshiro more than Goku. You got it.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Yeah sure, the people definitely want Kenshiro more than Goku. You got it.

That's really isn't the point since you were talking about 'iconic'. The point is that you can pick any anime character to be in Smash if they're been in a game according to you.

But since you want 'popular and recent', Luffy from One Piece. He has unique powers, different forms, the best selling manga in the world that's still ongoing, huge in Japan, and have several dozen games across Nintendo systems.

Last edited:

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Two games that strongly deserve representation in Smash literally released last year. Don't tell me that in the last forty years, there haven't been any more characters that deserve to be in. That's an insane thing to say.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I don't know who I was expecting.

But wow ...

Let's shit on Goku so Platinum fans can feel better about their game that bombed.

I'm not an Isaac fan, but at least this makes sense. Though it is more dudes with swords.

Wonderful 101 is wholly owned by Nintendo. And what does a game bombing have to do with quality?

Jager

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Let's shit on Goku so Platinum fans can feel better about their game that bombed.
It's not even that, it's about relevancy - His moveset made up of all the other Wonderful Ones just makes sense for something like Smash.

To be fair though, that game does deserve a second chance and Smash representation together with a Switch port would be perfect.

Very underrated.

Two games that strongly deserve representation in Smash literally released last year. Don't tell me that in the last forty years, there haven't been any more characters that deserve to be in. That's an insane thing to say.

Something from Advance Wars would be cool to see too.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
That's really isn't the point. The point is that you can pick any anime character to be in Smash if they're been in a game according to you.

But since you want 'popular and recent', Luffy from One Piece. He has unique powers, different forms, the best selling manga in the world that's still ongoing, huge in Japan, and have several dozen games across Nintendo system l.
Stop cherrypicking everything I say.

"any anime character to be in Smash if they're been in a game according to you."
I did not say that. I even clarified on this exact page that's not what I meant.

Iconic in games, anime and manga.
Three decades of appearances in games.
More appearances on Nintendo systems than MOST of the Smash roster.
Literally animated with Mario in an SNES commercial.
Namco is developing Smash.

Individually, those reasons aren't worth much. Combined, that's deserving of a spot.

Again, if it doesn't happen, that's fair. Just saying, don't dismiss the possibility.

Wonderful 101 is wholly owned by Nintendo. And what does a game bombing have to do with quality?
Do you give the slightest shit about Wonder Red?

What makes him "more deserving" besides that specific fanbase wanting validation?

You can't scoff at Wii Fit Trainer and then go, "but Yo Wonder Red Y'all".

Last edited:

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Stop cherrypicking everything I say.

"any anime character to be in Smash if they're been in a game according to you."
I did not say that. I even clarified on this exact page that's not what I meant.

Iconic in games, anime and manga.
Three decades of appearances in games.
More appearances on Nintendo systems than MOST of the Smash roster.
Literally animated with Mario in an SNES commercial.
Namco is developing Smash.

Individually, those reasons aren't worth much. Combined, that's deserving of a spot.

Again, if it doesn't happen, that's fair. Just saying, don't dismiss the possibility.

So Luffy outside an old commercial that was badly animated.

Oct 25, 2017
So Luffy outside an old commercial that was badly animated.
At least you know you're doing it now.

I love Arms, but I'm not expecting reps in the base game because it's so soon. Wouldn't complain if they made the cut. Note how Squid Kid wasn't Smash 4 DLC.

I don't know what the second game is.

Last edited:

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never seen someone seriously argue that Goku should be in Smash, I thought it was just a meme.

Status
Not open for further replies.