• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Finally got the game for my PS4. Is the loading at the start always takes longer than usual? (I don't have ssd)

Other than that, been playing for 1 hour now lol.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the praise for the game has been impressive and the demo definitely helped convince me. Played for a bit but I think the SD card I have it installed on is kinda slow. Archived the game and now downloading again to the internal memory to see if it loads a tad faster.
Speaking of which, does anybody have an SD card recommendations? Ive downloaded Dragon Quest, and Fire Emblem digitally, so I may need to get a new SD Card soon. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

PS: Dragon Quest Builders 2 is amazing xD Been a while since Ive put this much time into a game in such a short amount of time.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Fishing is pretty nice and it comes with a swimsuit, two new hairstyles and a straw hat.

I have it on Switch but you have to finish the first story island and unlock the mailbox at IoA to gain access to most of the DLC content.

I'm halfway through the final big island. I just went back to check the mailbox and nothing in it. Guess this is out only on Switch.

I need help. So malroth and me got a combo attack and i cant trigger it no matter what i do.
The tutorial on switch says press L shoulder button with A button when malroth has a red glow.
Well the guy is always super saiyan orange when we battle and every time i press that the game just tries to do another thing instead of fight or the combo. Is the orange glow he has even the red one the game is talking about?
Im sure some peopl here know how to trigger it.

There's a big prompt that will show up when you can use it. It's pretty hard to miss. It's not the orange glow.

Is there a video showing the story of each town in DQB1. Im in the mining town and didnt know it was a continuation of the stories of each town (i knew it waa a continuation of dragon quest 2) Same characters? I read a plot synopsis but that doesnt cut it because im interested in what happened on each town from the first game and if they are the same islands.
Actually theyve been naming a hero builder a ton of times in the game, i suppose that one is the playable character from the original game.

Not sure about a video. But the town is more a reference to one in DQB1 than a continuation. Given that DQB2 takes place in a timeline where DQB1 wouldn't have happened. DQ2 takes place after the good ending of DQ1. DQB1 takes place after the bad ending. The legendary builder mentioned is not the character from DQB1. I'm not sure who it is though.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone explain to me how the boundaries of the town's work exactly?

Is there a boundary on my main island?

I know there was one on the farming island because the music would change.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
What exactly do they mean by "fix the mine" in the second island? I got to the first warp point down in the mine but dont see any more spots to go deeper with the bombs, is there something I need to do first, or did i simply miss a wall somewhere?

Out_Of_Ammo

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
What exactly do they mean by "fix the mine" in the second island? I got to the first warp point down in the mine but dont see any more spots to go deeper with the bombs, is there something I need to do first, or did i simply miss a wall somewhere?
You should complete the quests they give you. Early on it's stuff like blow up the walls and fix the mining cart tracks, and bring ore to the blacksmith. Look on your map for the orange dots.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I actually like the rustic mountain river valley just as it is, but now it's got stupid blotches of grass because it's required that I'll have to clean up later when I build a proper village there. Which I will because it's a cute little area.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
You should complete the quests they give you. Early on it's stuff like blow up the walls and fix the mining cart tracks, and bring ore to the blacksmith. Look on your map for the orange dots.
I currently have no orange markers on my maps. I have only made it to the first warp point in the upper levels and the only missions I have a re to fix the tunnels and build the bar which I cant do without iron ore.

I feel like I forgot something important from last night when I played, I do remember blowing up some walls and fixing tracks back to the start of the mines though.

EDIT: just figured it out, I was missing one cup of the drink for the bar to finish one of the non main quests that opened up some new ones.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Oh this is just a bunch of missions. Nice and focused..

I'll just put up a fence here to slow the monsters down...maybe some nice sconces. Might as well trace the boundaries of the town so I know how much space I have...a second toilet would be nice, people are always queuing up

I wonder what the most efficient field layout is for tomatoes...

..Oh no..

what is the most efficient layout for tomatoes? I just have four strips with water between now
The optimal field layout for tomatoes is the same as the optimal field layout for cabbages, just add a planting pole. They don't actually need the strips of water to grow, fwiw. That's something optional that's for some reason introduced at the same time as tomatoes. If you have farmer NPC types living in your town they will water the crops for you.

The only plants I've run into so far with additional "planting conditions" (which you can see in the Scarecrow seed menu) are ones that need to be planted in a flooded field.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Who is industrialising their villages? The space seems so tight you're forced a little bit to trade space for buildings/fields. first area at least seems to have more space than I expected around the back near the spring
The optimal field layout for tomatoes is the same as the optimal field layout for cabbages, just add a planting pole. They don't actually need the strips of water to grow, fwiw. That's something optional that's for some reason introduced at the same time as tomatoes. If you have farmer NPC types living in your town they will water the crops for you.

The only plants I've run into so far with additional "planting conditions" (which you can see in the Scarecrow seed menu) are ones that need to be planted in a flooded field.

Hmm weird thanks.

Few more basic questions
- Do the villagers ever harvest themselves or is that always down to me?
- any info on how far from fields chests need to be forbidden me to put seeds on to auto plant?
- same for the kitchen - do I need to put harvested stuff in the kitchen chest or just in a chest near a field?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Wait... stackable slime was only a preorder bonus for digital purchase if you got the bundle on switch? So if you used a voucher to preorder just the game, you missed out? Or am I missing something?

Also, this is the first game I can remember that makes my docked switch sound like a jet engine/PS4 pro.

Out_Of_Ammo

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Wait... stackable slime was only a preorder bonus for digital purchase if you got the bundle on switch? So if you used a voucher to preorder just the game, you missed out? Or am I missing something?

Also, this is the first game I can remember that makes my docked switch sound like a jet engine/PS4 pro.
Nope, I used a voucher on the base game and got the stackable slimes together with a bunch of other stuff.

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
I haven't had a chance to play the game yet, wehhhhhhh

Been swamped with work. Hopefully I can have a good play session this weekend.

Nathan

Oct 27, 2017
When do you get the stackable slimes? I don't have them in my inventory or in my recipes. I'm still on Furrowfield Farm.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna pick the game up for sure now that I got extra money, debating on system pretty heavily though. Quick question, I know multiplayer is pretty much just isle of awakening but do monster attacks and stuff still happen? Or is there any kind of danger? Or are there other things you can do in co-op?

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
How many story islands are there? I just started on
Moonbrooke
, is this the last one?
I'm honestly getting burned out on story stuff in this game, there's so much text. I might take a break and focus on building up the IoA.

mothball

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How many story islands are there? I just started on
Moonbrooke
, is this the last one?
I'm honestly getting burned out on story stuff in this game, there's so much text. I might take a break and focus on building up the IoA.
That's the last island, yeah... but you're still a ways from the end.

After Moonbrooke comes a hellish underworld area that basically plays out like an island - and is as long as one - where you do missions for monsters and build up a spaceship base.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Does anyone know why my people won't sit on their stools when having lunch? I made a dining room, made the tables a dinner table, set a dinner bowl on top of it and a bread basket and while they rush to the table they just stand on the side, next to the stools or stand on them instead of sitting on them having a quiet lunch.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Any tips for how to get the guys on the second island fed? First was easy cause you have hundreds of crops and someone cooks them and everyone gets them out of the chest by themselves, but here it's not so easy to have food, don't even know if they take them out of the mushroom kitchen chest.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Anyone know where I can reliably get more acorn seeds? I need to make me a forest

The first Explorer Isle I forget the name (costs 50 gratitude to unlock) has big tree enemies and they drop a couple acorns a lot. I used them as they are the best option I've found (about to start 2nd story island)

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
If you have a chest of cooked food, is it inevitable that people will come and eat directly from it? I actually just want them to make food for me while I go adventuring and pick up some more when I am ready to leave again.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for how to get the guys on the second island fed? First was easy cause you have hundreds of crops and someone cooks them and everyone gets them out of the chest by themselves, but here it's not so easy to have food, don't even know if they take them out of the mushroom kitchen chest.
Oddly enough I just posted about something relevant to this. Make a simple kitchen. 3 bonfires and a chest inside of it. Throw in some raw meat, cactus slices, vineberries, etc. They will cook them. I came back and saw some of them standing at the chest and eating from it. I did only notice this after I built a place for them to eat but I don't know if that is related or not.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oddly enough I just posted about something relevant to this. Make a simple kitchen. 3 bonfires and a chest inside of it. Throw in some raw meat, cactus slices, vineberries, etc. They will cook them. I came back and saw some of them standing at the chest and eating from it. I did only notice this after I built a place for them to eat but I don't know if that is related or not.

I wonder if you can put a nameplate in there so that way they dont do it

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

Just noticed all of them sitting in the bar and everyone asking for food, my screen was full of text. :D Totally ignored it so far on the second island. But I had some food items in the kitchen chest. Weird.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if you can put a nameplate in there so that way they dont do it
Thats worth a shot. I wonder if you can put it directly onto a chest. But the issue would be that they can't take out the food and cook it to begin with instead of protecting them from raiding cooked food to eat. There must be some solution to mass cooking or automated cooking

Just noticed all of them sitting in the bar and everyone asking for food, my screen was full of text. :D Totally ignored it so far on the second island. But I had some food items in the kitchen chest. Weird.
Lol I didnt know they would directly ask for it. It would be nice if they could gather a little food on their own.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
At the Green Gardens, is there a max range that you should be building within for it to register for the tasks? There's no music change like in the first story town so it's hard to judge

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Speaking of which, does anybody have an SD card recommendations? Ive downloaded Dragon Quest, and Fire Emblem digitally, so I may need to get a new SD Card soon. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

PS: Dragon Quest Builders 2 is amazing xD Been a while since Ive put this much time into a game in such a short amount of time.
I'm not the best to answer as I picked up a Patriot 128GB from my local Fry's but it wasn't a U3 which I think is the fastest. But after moving the game from the SD to the internal storage, I didn't notice any improvement in the load speed. It is an 'A1' card, if that means anything. I am curious if others have noticed better load speeds with U3 cards though. I'm guessing it's prob not much of a difference since the U speed refers to write speed and for the most part we're more concerned with read speed which this card is 90MB/sec.

Last edited:

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Ugh sometimes my rooms won't register properly. I know it's not me because I'll move something then put it back and the room doesn't go back to how it was.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Started this up on our PS4 early this afternoon. Spent about an hour or so playing and got to the first main island. I see improvements already to the formula, and looking at the trophy list, I'm glad there are no speed run trophies to concern myself with this time around.

Oct 28, 2017
Who is industrialising their villages? The space seems so tight you're forced a little bit to trade space for buildings/fields. first area at least seems to have more space than I expected around the back near the spring

Hmm weird thanks.

Few more basic questions
- Do the villagers ever harvest themselves or is that always down to me?
- any info on how far from fields chests need to be forbidden me to put seeds on to auto plant?
- same for the kitchen - do I need to put harvested stuff in the kitchen chest or just in a chest near a field?
- They will harvest things. This is a quest goal on the first island iirc, and an optional tablet goal on your home island, very easy to get it unlocked if you just keep farming different crop types at home. There's also an easy way to stop them from harvesting and planting in general, remove the Scarecrow from the field. Useful if you're low on seeds.
- Store seeds in the player inventory or put them in a bedroom with a (non-Farmer character tagged, obviously) nameplate to keep NPCs out. Alternatively, you could not assign the Scarecrow in your field, then you do all the planting.
- Either way works well in my experience. The NPCs who cook food will generally prefer the chest in the kitchen, but they will absolutely walk a short distance to cook your crops if there are any in the field chests.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bought the game on the switch. Framerate being halved sucks considering it plays so very nice and smooth on ps4 but portability won out for me. Tempted by the season pass, seeing as how it's apparently all available right now for Switch users? lol

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
So I talked to the King and he said this: "This world is no longer a mere illusion! But it seems our realm differs somewhat from the place they call the 'real world'... But something tells me there may yet be some means of linking this world to other lands and other times..."

Sounds interesting. Sequel hints?

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
At the Green Gardens, is there a max range that you should be building within for it to register for the tasks? There's no music change like in the first story town so it's hard to judge
There probably is, though I imagine it's much bigger. By the way music seems to start playing once your settlement is "good enough". For me it was after I built a restaurant.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
There probably is, though I imagine it's much bigger. By the way music seems to start playing once your settlement is "good enough". For me it was after I built a restaurant.
There's music for special structures like restaurants, hotels, bars, castles, spa resorts. Some of them get a special icon on the map too.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Just a note to those concerned about portability:

Don't forget about Remote Play for iOS/Android and also iOS will soon support DS4/XB1 controllers (or right away if you update to the iOS 13 beta).

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Got this for $25 today thanks to GCU and my final coupon stacking, plus credit I already had. Pretty excited.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I finished the first island. Wow was that great. One Q though - what is easiest way to get grass seeds st this point in the game??