• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
My opinion swapped after getting the dog. I feel like everything prior to that was one big tutorial. Having a lot more fun with the game now.
Yeah, Furrowfield felt almost like a giant 10+ hour tutorial since you can't leave and you're constantly getting new tool tips. For me, once my villagers started to help farm/cook/etc, the game became a lot more fun.

mattciq

Nov 23, 2017
I'm looking for some help with the "repair the tracks" part of the Fix the Mines quest in Khrumbul Dun. I'm almost convinced I've encountered a major bug because the track's done, I can ride a cart smoothly from point to point (where the objective markers are). I've repaired the supporting bridge segments and rock supporting the track. I've inspected the whole line visually many times.

The other objectives like this one were no problem for me. The other parts of the line to the lower levels are done. However, this last part won't register and the quest completion stays at 87%. I have Dougie the miner following me, who's tasked me to connect the last loading stop to town by fixing all of the gaps in the mine-cart track. It's the second, "repair tracks" quest segment. It's the part with two lines of track side-by-side. I have the iron hammer and was able to punch through the hard rock where Dougie directed me to. Every time I talk to him, he just repeats his relatively simple directions. He points out the loading stop and it'll show even show us standing there when we're at that end. The other end is an incline leading to the surface level, on the outer edge of my town. Both ends have the stop signs with the X and when track is laid adjacent, they'll light up green and stay "station."

This damn part's driving me nuts. I've read forum posts, watched let's-plays, followed tips but I cannot seem to get Dougie to tell me I'm done. Can't progress beyond this part and it's starting to bum me out.

Edit:

Finally figured out that it was one of the stop signs in the loading station was interfering with the other set of tracks and preventing it from creating a station with the stop sign on that side.

Last edited:

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
How do I make the monsters I captured follow me after they go to Awakening Island? I want to take the bird to the materials' Islands.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Just got around to playing through the demo. The demo itself wasn't as fun as the DQB1 demo because of the amount of stuff you got to build in that one, but it seems picking up the second one seems to be right choice.

Curious though, how's the Switch handheld performance? It gets pretty rough at times in docked already, but it's playable. Is it noticably worse in handheld? (I'm gonna replay the demo in handheld when I get the chance but thought I'd ask)

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got around to playing through the demo. The demo itself wasn't as fun as the DQB1 demo because of the amount of stuff you got to build in that one, but it seems picking up the second one seems to be right choice.

Curious though, how's the Switch handheld performance? It gets pretty rough at times in docked already, but it's playable. Is it noticably worse in handheld? (I'm gonna replay the demo in handheld when I get the chance but thought I'd ask)
It plays much smoother in handheld.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Any of the DLC worth it?

Is it just new blocks to dick around with or there any new interesting quests and characters? Sounds like its mostly just more materials.

Oct 28, 2017
Any of the DLC worth it?

Is it just new blocks to dick around with or there any new interesting quests and characters? Sounds like its mostly just more materials.
Materials, recipes, music, two characters (with a pretty short quest chain attached), and an entire gameplay system (fishing) are locked behind the DLC. I think it is worth it if you're the kind of person who wants some extended gameplay, maybe not so much if you just want to blast through the story and move on.

Oct 25, 2017
Man alive, why in the world does the game insist on having both terrible combat and an entire story chunk dedicated to using said terrible combat incessantly?? Not only that, they send out these flying bat demons to kill you while you're building, with no way of killing them back until they decide to get lower to the ground... Hard to get anything done...

I think my biggest request for DQB3 is better combat (a simple evade/block button would do wonders). And less rambling dialogue. But mostly, better freakin' combat.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
holy shit this game is long. i've enjoyed dqb and dqb2, but this game being roughly 40%-50% longer than its predecessor is not doing it any favors for me. finally at the last segment after the cerulean steppes and i hope it's over soon.

it's definitely put me off of dqxis until i can create some distance between this and that with some of the other games i haven't gotten around to yet.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
*gets request to build bathroom*

Ah, Dragon Quest, you kidde..

*adorable chibi villagers actually start shitting in pot*

Oh.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
So far, really loving this one just like the first, they're everything I ever wanted out of games in similar genres with actual story and characters. Some nice QOL improvements but also some returning nuisances like limited village borders, they've even removed the visible outline where you could see where it ends in this one.

Theres just not enough room to build each individual or family their own home due to the all other facilities you need to create over time.

I have kind of a love hate relationship with this, it forces me to make a nice looking tightly packed village but it also doesn't really look as properly lived in as it should with everybody scrambling to find one of the few straw beds come night time.

Britt is the only one in Furrowfield right now with her own designated home. Too much good dumb humor coming out of her, she's earned it.

Last edited:

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just starting out, on the first island you sail to.

The first blue rat guy you meet says he's really hungry! Can I feed him? I don't know if the "?" markers are just info rather than quests.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I might be mistaking that rat for another. The ones who want something will clearly state how many of an item they need. It's possible that ? is for some puzzle near the rat.
I met the rat you meant two minutes after posting above, hah. Seems the ? on the first rat who was there to show the way to the old mill is gone so I guess he'll have to remain hungry and ratty! Thanks :)

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
So is there a way to keep four chickens in the same room? I made a house and a pen to keep them in outside with a gate, but in the morning the chickens are still all over the place with eggs everywhere.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Do you lose all your recipes, gear and levels like in the first game when you move on?

Kneep deep in Furrowfield still but hoping thats not the case. Wouldn't mind it neccesarily, starting fresh in each new area can be fun.

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017
Do you lose all your recipes, gear and levels like in the first game when you move on?

Kneep deep in Furrowfield still but hoping thats not the case. Wouldn't mind it neccesarily, starting fresh in each new area can be fun.
No, everything in this game builds upon itself incrementally. That said, each story island has its own crafting bench and most requests will be of new things. Still, the old recipes can be useful as filler in other situations.

Oct 28, 2017
So is there a way to keep four chickens in the same room? I made a house and a pen to keep them in outside with a gate, but in the morning the chickens are still all over the place with eggs everywhere.
Build a Paddock (5 Wheatgrass + 1 Haystack) and/or an Animal House (Haystack + Animal Bed + Pet Bowl) and they should corral themselves. If they get chased off the map into weird corners and stuff, don't worry about it. You can summon them back to your central working area in two different ways after completing Island 2. Using a big iron bell (may need the DLC if you want this item) or by hitting a little golden one, or using the resident register to reassign the chicken to another area and back should teleport them directly to you.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR

Not really.

So, when you start a new story island, you go in more or less empty-handed, although you have your tools and your equipment. But no blocks. You have different crafting tables, and that impacts the recipes you can use, but recipes don't go away so any recipes the table is capable of that you already know, you can use.

Once you clear the story island, your main inventory can be used and so you can build whatever crafting table you want. (contrast with the first game where you couldn't go back at all).

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Tried dabbling with rooftops in Furrowfield but I just don't think I'm feeling it.

Don't like having to fiddle the camera and the roofless houses were kind of part of the retro charm to me since Builders, I always saw it as a nod to the way you could just straight up see everything in town buildings in DQ1-3.

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017
Don't like having to fiddle the camera and the roofless houses were kind of part of the retro charm to me since Builders, I always saw it as a nod to the way you could just straight up see everything in town buildings in DQ1-3.
I find the camera tends to be more comfortable if you have the roof at least 4 blocks above the floor. Also, the first person view helps with cramped spaces, now, if you want.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
My villagers are having troubles with the concept of dining tables. I plopped down 4 bowls and 4 chairs, but they'll still stand on the side of it, and then a person will sit down and complain they have no food!

Also the line to the bath is reeeally long. Do I need separate room for each bath? I note that they queue outside rather inside. The blueprint for the bath house is really large though.

Oct 28, 2017
My villagers are having troubles with the concept of dining tables. I plopped down 4 bowls and 4 chairs, but they'll still stand on the side of it, and then a person will sit down and complain they have no food!

Also the line to the bath is reeeally long. Do I need separate room for each bath? I note that they queue outside rather inside. The blueprint for the bath house is really large though.
I've noticed since the update that kitchens and dining rooms have a tendency to completely break and once they do your people won't cook or eat properly any more. Even destroying and rebuilding doesn't seem to work for me. I haven't tested it extensively to see if I could fix it somehow (too many games came out this month!) but it is a major bummer.

You should try making one of the shared bathing rooms, or multiple smaller ones if you have the rooms budget. The solution for almost all lines is increasing the amount of needed items. Once you turn in the quest for the bathing room, feel free to redesign that area as well.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed since the update that kitchens and dining rooms have a tendency to completely break and once they do your people won't cook or eat properly any more. Even destroying and rebuilding doesn't seem to work for me. I haven't tested it extensively to see if I could fix it somehow (too many games came out this month!) but it is a major bummer.

You should try making one of the shared bathing rooms, or multiple smaller ones if you have the rooms budget. The solution for almost all lines is increasing the amount of needed items. Once you turn in the quest for the bathing room, feel free to redesign that area as well.
Ah. I shall have to play around with it a bit. I made it after the blueprint but I'm not certain if all of those items are actually required to make it a washing room, I'll try deleting something next time I play. Worst I'll just make a double of the entire room until I encounter a better recipe.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Finished up Furrowfield last night.

Oh man..when they all started pitching in to rebuild the tree without me.

FLVjO3r.gif

My babies are all grown up. ;_;

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Lesson learned: Don't run ahead of quests and break things, hah. Had to warp home and pick up tilled earth and warp back twice to complete a quest where I had foolishly dug for treasure in a plot meant for planting.

Am I doing tables wrong? I set 4 chairs and 4 bowls per table and they'll still stand at the edges without seats. The cooking NPCs will distribute the food 1 per bowl so either the standing person or the seated one will end up without food, complaining.

swfoNzC.png

Putting the tables next to eachother helps a little, but I don't trust them to simply not stand on anything I try to block the outer ends with.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Have you people with busted dining tables tried making sure that the seat faces the table and the dish faces the chair? It might help some with the weird issues. My biggest problem (in working kitchens) has been that my NPCs simply won't carry the cooked food to the tables, so everyone clusters around the chest and eats there.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Fun fact: about half the buildable space in IoA is underwater.

The top, east, and southern boundaries are about where they appear to be on the map; but the west border goes out quite a ways (to accomodate the ship).

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I love it when they just eat straight out of the wooden box.

Yes! Feast like animals, you pigs! Feast!

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest's uncanny ability to go from charming and colorful to blunt darkness is something.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
So I've spent waaay too many hours building on the island again rather than going to the second story island. Addictive.

Roofs seem annoying, both in trying to build them and how the camera blocks the view (goes for 2 story buildings as well). Would have liked to see some automatic removal of upper floors / roofs when you enter a room.

Do the various subtypes of rooms have any special purpose? I made a farmers bedroom next to the fields expecting my farmers to go to bed there, but they just went to my old bedroom instead. I suppose signs can direct people anyway.

Trying to figure out some room recipes on my own, but not really coming up with too many beside "bigger". Tried making workshops, dog (specifically) house, etc but haven't found anything that works yet. I suppose more will be taught on the story islands... if I ever get there.

Is there any way to get farmers to put the harvest in the kitchen chest rather than the barn? I dunno if I simply put the kitchen too far from the fields (not terribly so), or if they always drop it in the barn.

Also, I may have collected too many dogs. Can I evict them?

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017
Do the various subtypes of rooms have any special purpose? I made a farmers bedroom next to the fields expecting my farmers to go to bed there, but they just went to my old bedroom instead. I suppose signs can direct people anyway.
For the most part, most subtypes of a room won't change the functionality. NPCs will sleep in any bedroom, cook in any kitchen, eat in any dining room.

Is there any way to get farmers to put the harvest in the kitchen chest rather than the barn? I dunno if I simply put the kitchen too far from the fields (not terribly so), or if they always drop it in the barn.
No way to direct where NPCs drop off items, aside from having only ONE chest for them to access. Other than that, you'd have to study their daily routine path and put chests in their next destination. If they go from the fields straight to the barn, they'd be most likely to dump the harvest into that chest. However, since they only go to the kitchen when it's time to eat and only to withdraw food, don't think they'd be likely to put stuff in that chest.

Also, I may have collected too many dogs. Can I evict them?
Yes, using the Resident's Register.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
For the most part, most subtypes of a room won't change the functionality. NPCs will sleep in any bedroom, cook in any kitchen, eat in any dining room.

No way to direct where NPCs drop off items, aside from having only ONE chest for them to access. Other than that, you'd have to study their daily routine path and put chests in their next destination. If they go from the fields straight to the barn, they'd be most likely to dump the harvest into that chest. However, since they only go to the kitchen when it's time to eat and only to withdraw food, don't think they'd be likely to put stuff in that chest.

Yes, using the Resident's Register.
Thanks!

On chapter 2 now, fun that the objectives feel quite different.

Dunno if I've run into some glitch with food again, for breakfast everyone just ran to the bar and sat hungry. I made a kitchen and for a while the NPC was cooking and putting on plates, but stopped after upgrading the kitchen. Made a dining room separate from the bar, but she's still not doing anything with either chest food or shrooms. Not a huge issue really since I'm way ahead on base upgrades but it's a bit odd.

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno if I've run into some glitch with food again, for breakfast everyone just ran to the bar and sat hungry. I made a kitchen and for a while the NPC was cooking and putting on plates, but stopped after upgrading the kitchen. Made a dining room separate from the bar, but she's still not doing anything with either chest food or shrooms. Not a huge issue really since I'm way ahead on base upgrades but it's a bit odd.
It's something I've noticed in island 2, as well. Chalked it up to there being not enough raw ingredients to make the food the NPCs "like" to eat, despite there being enough food in storage. Even though the Mushroom Cookroom is supposed to provide infinite marshrooms for them to use, the output is rather low. Just wound up getting used to NPCs going hungry until later additions.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I too went a lil overboard once I first got back to the Isle of Awakening. Built a series of elevated homes around the tablet for the furrowfield immigrants with Britt's guard post overlooking the settlement. Love the freedom you have to build on the home island. Should avoid the islands that unlock infinite components? I thought that was only for the isle of Awakening (which would make more sense) but it seems to spread to the other islands too. I actually like the material grind but I also like doing the checklist islands so I feel pretty conflicted. Feels like its taking away some of the game's challenge.

Also the music that plays when you enter Khrumble-Dun is incredibly nostalgic. It really caught me off guard and feels like it was something ripped straight out of Super Mario RPG. I love it.

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017
Also the music that plays when you enter Khrumble-Dun is incredibly nostalgic. It really caught me off guard and feels like it was something ripped straight out of Super Mario RPG. I love it.
Funny tidbit concerning the music, if you should ever play any of the DQ mainline titles, you will hear some very familiar (read: exactly the same) pieces. Think the only original song in DQB2 is the Isle of Awakening default theme.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Funny tidbit concerning the music, if you should ever play any of the DQ mainline titles, you will hear some very familiar (read: exactly the same) pieces. Think the only original song in DQB2 is the Isle of Awakening default theme.
Gotta look up which game that tune is from then, I assume it would be II but I don't recognize it.

Last edited:

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
So do the tablet targets need to be done in the same area the tablet is in? Green gardens has a goal of making a restaurant, but I'm having a lot of fun building a little city inside the pyramid :D. Would be cool if I could hit that target even building it in the other area.

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017
So do the tablet targets need to be done in the same area the tablet is in? Green gardens has a goal of making a restaurant, but I'm having a lot of fun building a little city inside the pyramid :D. Would be cool if I could hit that target even building it in the other area.
No, any tablet target can be done anywhere on Awakening.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Love how themed the islands are in 2.

The second one is seemingly focused on

exploring and expanding the deep underground mines (complete with maps for each floor level) and rebuilding a mining town.

Just got done building the rebuilding the tracks and the mine carts.

Weeeeeeeeee!!