• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
while I liked the demo, I cant say it enthused me on buying it. if anything the demo unsold me on the game. the combat is terrible, even for a game with simple combat; the building feels limited, though this could expand in later areas; and the (starting area at least) world so far doesnt feel all that fun to explore. it's very compacted, even for a starting area
Unfortunately, the demo ends right as you make the portal to explore more of the first area. There are some very cool areas you explore immediately afterward.

Bjoern

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I played some 20 minutes or so of the demo and am actually impressed. It's literally Dragon Quest x Minecraft. I'm really tempted to buy this game now.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Played about an hour in handheld mode and didnt notice anything particularly worrying about the performance, which was what I was looking for.

I'm in! Gonna quit the demo now because I assume I can't bring over my save file anyways...

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The unlocked frame rate is driving me insane.

Why is there no 30fps cap? Ugh. Playing in handheld mode.

rpmurphy

Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Ahhh I feel like double-dipping on this, since it'll probably be a while before we get DQB2 outside Japan. Partially because I hate the town I made on the PS4 game lol.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Played about an hour last night (only put a few into the PS4 version), and forgot how darn charming this game is. Performance doesn't bother me, but hopefully they can stabilize it a bit before launch. It also looks a little too small at times in handheld mode (I felt the same way about SteamWorld Dig 2), probably since all the original assets were designed with a TV in mind.

I think I might just fire this back up on PS4 again to see if it clicks.

surr

Oct 27, 2017
Tried out the demo and it was fun. DIdn't blow me away but it was fun. Stopped though since I didn't want to sink anymore time in it if I have to just restart when the retail version comes out.

For $49.99 I'll bite. I wish Amazon would correct the price if it's really not supposed to be $60.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
What exactly do you do in the demo? This is coming from someone who hasn't played the franchise. I'm assuming it's not the traditional jrpg and more user created content like super Mario maker,?

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What exactly do you do in the demo?

You start your first town and do several quests. I don't remember exactly how long it takes as it's been a while, but it's basically like the first couple of hours of the actual game. It's a decently meaty demo that should give you a pretty decent idea as to whether the game if for you or not. Unfortunately, should you play it completely and decide to buy you will have to do it all over again in the full game unless they actually got smart with the Switch demo.

Any reason why not just release DQB2 instead?

The main reason that springs to mind is that the sequel isn't done. Based on how little they showed, I'm not really expecting the Japanese version to come until the end of this year.

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what to do in Minecraft so I feel like I'm wasting my time. I like to reach the official end of a game and be done with it.

Right there with you. I kinda bra wish Minecraft had an RPG mode. Never played builders and passed it on ps4 might be time to pick it up in switch if it's somethibg me and my daughter can rpg together or her alone and feel like we're completing things!

Does it have any replay ability or linear quests? What happens when your ur done?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I've spent like 6 hours with this demo

I beat it hours ago, and decided to just mess around and build my town. So now I have a kingdom of dirt with 3 residents lol

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
It's fun, although not what I'm craving at the moment so it's on my to consider list

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
DQB features story scenarios that won't be repeated in the sequel, so there's no reason not to release this one just because a future one is coming.

Why did the localization introduce framepacing to the PS4 version?

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Played a bit and am happy with it. Will double dip once again. Game is just fantastic.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I've nearly finished the full Switch game if anyone wants any further impressions. You probably know everything you need to know from the demo though.
Any reason why not just release DQB2 instead?
Same reason to buy Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy 6. They're both proper RPGs with their own structure and story.

Alrus

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Demo was enjoyable but I'm not sure the gameplay loop will hold me for dozens of hours, will put on my wishlist and maybe buy when I have dowtime in games I really want.

WTF I was excited for this, but just realized it's $60. Tired of the Switch Tax :(

I can be patient, Square.

It's strange that it's so expensive in the US. You can pre-order the game for less than 40 euros in Europe.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Quite enjoyed this. One of my complaints with vanilla Minecraft was that there was no real reason to have buildings dedicated to tasks, and this game has that. Was a bit bummed when the demo ended!

My main concern is the seemingly limited building area, I don't know if it expands with level? Not a huge fan of building vertically unless it's for purposes of adapting to the terrain.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, the game is $50 at GameStop, Target, and Best Buy. Pretty sure the Amazon price is a mistake.

Wish this was $40 but I'll still bite.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
You can have it for 37€ plus 5€ as a gift card in Europe. Currently the game is more expansive than Bayonetta on Amazon US so I wouldn't worry too much.

The demo is very well done and convinced me to buy the game.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I had this game on PS4 when it came out and stopped playing in the second chapter, not because of loss of interest but because it became obvious it would eventually come to Switch so I have been waiting. The demo rekindled my love/addiction to it and now I cannot wait for the full release.

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
I stopped playing it on the PS4 at the start of the second chapter, because it was then that it became obvious to me what the game is about, and what it's not. If you expect something more than MMO-style collect x of material y quests, or creativity in your town creations being rewarded, you might be disappointed. The game is about efficiently building the blueprints, then resetting your entire progress and start at 0 in the next region. It wants you to finish chapters in the shortest possible time, and you lose all ressources between chapters anyway. This isn't a MC-like roam and create game, the main objective is actually just gathering the materials

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I stopped playing it on the PS4 at the start of the second chapter, because it was then that it became obvious to me what the game is about, and what it's not. If you expect something more than MMO-style collect x of material y quests, or creativity in your town creations being rewarded, you might be disappointed. The game is about efficiently building the blueprints, then resetting your entire progress and start at 0 in the next region. It wants you to finish chapters in the shortest possible time, and you lose all ressources between chapters anyway. This isn't a MC-like roam and create game, the main objective is actually just gathering the materials
I never tried it but I thought there was a free play mode that allowed you to build a larger kingdom and explore it endlessly? That was my impression.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I had to stop the demo after less than 10min because I already fell hopelessly in love with this game. Omg I need this. When is it coming to the Switch? Should I wait or get it on PS4?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For me this game is better than minecraft only because its primary camera is from a third person perspective

And I love the handholding of the campaign.

Also this demo doesn't show you that much what you can do, when you go to the portal into another island the game changes a lot for the best

I never tried it but I thought there was a free play mode that allowed you to build a larger kingdom and explore it endlessly? That was my impression.

it does

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
there is, but it's pointless. An empty sandbox with nothing to do in

to better explain what I meant earlier, Builders is like a game in which you objective is to collect the required "lego blocks" in the shortest possible amount of time, to construct buildings only according to the instructions (blueprints), in the very limited town space. You are actively discouraged from making your own designs or customizing anything, because 1) it doesn't provide any advantage 2) the towns regularly get obliterated 3) at the beginning of the next chapter, you start from scratch. To complete the package, there's a very basic combat system, rudimentary quests and quite frankly ugly, barren and completely uninteresting game worlds

dont get me wrong, lots of people enjoy the game for what it is, but in my opinion, they fundamentally misunderstood what the Minecraft genre is all about

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

to better explain what I meant earlier, Builders is like a game in which you objective is to collect the required "lego blocks" in the shortest possible amount of time, to construct buildings only according to the instructions (blueprints), in the very limited town space. You are actively discouraged from making your own designs or customizing anything, because 1) it doesn't provide any advantage 2) the towns regularly get obliterated 3) at the beginning of the next chapter, you start from scratch. To complete the package, there's a very basic combat system, rudimentary quests and quite frankly ugly, barren and completely uninteresting game worlds

dont get me wrong, lots of people enjoy the game for what it is, but in my opinion, they fundamentally misunderstood what the Minecraft genre is all about
I think the fact that DBQ2 is in development shows that SE agrees with you.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Demo was enjoyable but I'm not sure the gameplay loop will hold me for dozens of hours, will put on my wishlist and maybe buy when I have dowtime in games I really want.

It's strange that it's so expensive in the US. You can pre-order the game for less than 40 euros in Europe.

37€ on amazon.fr, it's pretty cheap.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Just finished the demo and I really digged the mechanics. Don't know if I will buy the game though since I have a huge backlog and it probably will be full price anyway.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Played through half the game on PS4, fired this demo up and was pleased with the results. Definitely noticeably less good looking but I still thought it looked and ran in a way where it wouldn't hamper my enjoyment any. Might double dip to play through what I had missed, though the whole "basically start over between chapters" thing kind of put me off on the idea.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
FYI, you can get it for £32 at the base.com in the UK. That's cheap enough for me to consider a day one purchase, although it being sandwiched I'm between MH World and Bayonetta isn't ideal.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

There is still a progression system in free play, you work your way up from scratch. You're encouraged to build your town in the way you want, because it's essentially your home base as you go out and get more stats and materials.

Don't get me wrong, I think there's a lot to improve upon, but it's no less pointless than Minecraft, let's be real here.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
FYI, you can get it for £32 at the base.com in the UK. That's cheap enough for me to consider a day one purchase, although it being sandwiched I'm between MH World and Bayonetta isn't ideal.

But for £40 you get this on the Nintendo UK store:
11651722-8854547320912869.jpg

Also just noticed the Nintendo UK Store is selling Lost Sphear too.