• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so it seems I was right about DQ XI being delayed gor Switch even though they announced the game in 2015 and they develop a PC version. Yeah, they treat Nintendo like garbage -they lovalize for them DQ VII and VIII-, and still some people consider Square to be a good supporter of Switch. They really do hate Nintendo.

It is a shame that crappy behavior would have no consequences. But you are being given less just because you do not game on PS4 or PC. In an ideal world Nintendo reacts violently towards Square for that.

A lot of goofy replies in this thread, but this one is especially hilarious. Are you a child?

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Sweet with the international release having upgrades how will this boost the overall experience for those who played the japanese version?

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jeez.
How long do they need to port that game to the Switch?
By the time the PS4 Version comes to the west, the JP-Version is already 14 month out.

And no 3DS version is a bummer. Guess expanding a series in the west doesn't include Nintendo handhelds,
unless Nintendo does the localization and distribution on its own, which doesn't really count in that regard.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
Sad to see so many "Boycott If Not On Nintendo" posts in this thread.

Celebrate the release of a game that we all have been waiting for a long time. Let's be positive.

The game is still coming to Switch but later than other consoles, that is all, no need to be too dramatic.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
$#%* Square Enix of not releasing the Switch version at the same time as the PS4 version, if its because of a Sony timed exclusivity than screw you. I was gonna get both version, but would've preferred Switch the 1st to play. Also, no love for the 3DS, seriously?

The Switch version not being simultaneous doesn't mean it's not coming to NA at all. I don't know why people are acting like it isn't.
Hell, the follow-up comment about the Switch version talked about it coming specifically to the US and Europe. I don't know why people think that it's going to get silently cancelled, since there's no point in offering an update on that version if that's going to be the planned result.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Because they don't confirm the Switch version for localization!!

Oh wait..

They do.

Shrug
You're right.

"We are also developing the Switch version for Europe and North America," reads Square Enix's statement, "but development is expected to take a long time from a technological standpoint as well, so we still have a long way to go until its release".

But don't let that stop y'all from coming up with reasons not to buy the latest Dragon Quest game. It's always gotta be something.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yooo, all those new features and even a Steam release, props to Square!

I'm pretty sad about the lack of 3DS version but it is what it is... I expected it too. Nice to see there's an added hard mode tho, I was worried about the comments about the difficulty.

All this whining though... Do people not realize that the Switch version is literally still in development and obviously not even out in Japan? Would they rather they made the rest of us wait another year until that one's finished or something?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The 3DS version would've been preferable to me, with the Switch version being an unknown even now. I'll see how the PS4 release goes but I'd prefer a portable version of this game. Good to see a PC version too.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
$#%* Square Enix of not releasing the Switch version at the same time as the PS4 version, if its because of a Sony timed exclusivity than screw you. I was gonna get both version, but would've preferred Switch the 1st to play. Also, no love for the 3DS, seriously?
The Switch version is not even out in Japan, and we haven't seen a thing about it. This isn't console wars crap.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
    • Overhauled Menus & UI, with graphical enhancements and more intuitive navigation.
    • Camera Mode, allowing players to take in views of the beautiful landscape, character renders and ferocious monsters in detail.
    • A New Dash Function and many other system enhancements such as improved character and camera movement

I really want to see these three in differences compared to Japanese version, any footage comparisons?

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Correct me if iam wrong but isnt it the first dragon quest with the western audience in mind? Isnt it the reason we got the ps4 version in the first place? I mean you are right about history but they really fucked up one way or another.
They said they wanted to do a PS4 game because they hadn't done a major traditional console entry since 8, and obviously PS4 is the clear choice for that.

As for the West, it seems no more or less Western focused than 8. Everything about it seems quite similar really.

They want it to sell, and they want DQ to be a powerful brand in the West, certainly, part of that should be making it available to more platforms. I don't see why it's not on XBO too, it should be. But the actual process of producing a PC version of an x86 PS4 game on UE4 seems like it would be extremely painfree. Games are built on PC anyway, the engine is already on there, and beastly at that. They knew it'd take about a year for localisation, and the PC version considerably less time than that. Seems like a no brainer, and I'm extremely pleased to see it happen, even though I'll be getting it on PS4.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
The voice acting is fine, but... Square-Enix should have used the money they spent on the VO for the orchestral music instead. :(
No, no, no, fuck this. Why did we need to have to choose between these two? Practically every game nowadays have voice acting, not just mainstream but indie games. I have absolutely no idea why Dragon Quest has to be an exception to this, and Japan is eating it up like it's nothing. Also the music is literally sounds like 8 bit music. I don't have technical expertise with regards to music, but the music range(?) just sound strangely limited, very basic tune stringed together. I did not get this feeling from previous DQ at all.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
They give the link to Steam on their page, but the Steam page isn't up yet... not that it matters, I guess, I just wanted to put it on my watch list.

Deleted member 13628

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really disappointed they are not using the orchestrated soundtrack.

As for Switch version...when even SE is saying it's going to be a long time...
...I mean we all know what "soon" means for them.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I do admit it is super weird they are continuing to delay the Switch version, but then had the time to make a totally new PC port and are releasing that with the PS4 version and the 3DS version isn't even coming at all.

I don't think getting a PC version out with the PS4 with the tradeoff of the Switch version being still a ways off and the 3DS not coming at all is a good. Ideally they would all come out at the same time but I guess that would mean the PS4 version would continue to wait and it has been done for some time.

Oct 25, 2017
Was planning on holding out for the Switch version but given their statement I'll just go ahead and pick it up on PS4. I have no problems double dipping for Dragon Quest (I did it already with Builders).

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
    • Overhauled Menus & UI, with graphical enhancements and more intuitive navigation.
    • Camera Mode, allowing players to take in views of the beautiful landscape, character renders and ferocious monsters in detail.
    • A New Dash Function and many other system enhancements such as improved character and camera movement

I really want to see these three in differences compared to Japanese version

It's all there except for camera mode/first-person view

They took the DQ8 approach for menus, not sure that I like the change, I'm not a fan for Final Fantasy-style menus taking you to a new screen for Dragon Quest.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I really want to see these three in differences compared to Japanese version, any footage comparisons?

Probably not as they literally just announced this but hopefully soon.

Edit: or I guess above nvm taking a look

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017

They took the DQ8 approach for menus, not sure that I like the change, I'm not a fan for Final Fantasy-style menus taking you to a new screen for Dragon Quest.

They didn't actually change that much. It's not a DQ8-style overhaul. In this case, they only changed the texture of the windows from black/white to the brown color. The other menus are the same (equip UI is identical).

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Oh man! STEAM?!? I'm so there! I might double dip for the Switch version if they add some unique features to it. Like doesn't the 3DS version have those "Retro" Sidequests and mini games? No word on Orchestra soundtracks? If they're not being added, I imagine people will find a way to mod them into the STEAM version. Sugiyama be damned!

Now if they could JUST announce the new Fortune Street for the West, I'd be all set!

FantasyZone

Oct 25, 2017
Probably going to wait for the Switch version even if it's far off. I rarely ever finish JRPGs on anything but portables.

Bit annoying that they can't show anything about it tho.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi

Yeah but i meant all comparisons made from both versions in one footage, in this video they only show the new English version but doesn't show the differences made to the Japanese versions looks like ill have to look for Japanese version on Youtube and find all the menu, ui, camera mode, dash function etc
Probably not as they literally just announced this but hopefully soon.

Edit: or I guess above nvm taking a look
True hope so Square Enix didn't provide comparison shots or anything to compare with

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
So sad to see the 3DS version lost to us. Not surprised, but definitely sad nonetheless. Perhaps if it was completed earlier in the life of the system, Nintendo mighta published here for us. But yeah, I guess they don't wanna squander what meager footing they have with the franchise over here by watching it flounder on an audience that has greatly moved on to another system.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised at no 3DS, a little disappointed they couldn't make all consoles happen at once, and very sad at the loss of the fully 2D version.

Will buy Day 1! I love Dragon Quest.

Matthaeus

Feb 24, 2018
I expected a Switch release in 2019 with the porting problems they were having with the newer version of UE4 but I am still a bit disappointed. Better late than never I suppose, the game still looks excellent and I cannot wait to play it.

hutna

Oct 25, 2017
If the Switch version doesn't contain the content missing from the 3DS version this will be the first DQ title of any kind I won't buy on release. I'm sure the PS4 version will be available for <$10 by that time.

SE needs to start talking about the Switch version's features to potentially win back some of the love lost with this announcement.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch version not being simultaneous doesn't mean it's not coming to NA at all. I don't know why people are acting like it isn't.
The problem is that SE isn't even bringing a game that is already done, why people should have hope for a game that isn't even out yet in Japan? Maybe the Switch version will be localized, but SE gets no benefit of doubt with the wya they are handling the 3DS version.

dedacc

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have mixed feelings about this. Getting a date sure is nice, getting a PC port is also fine (and I kind of expected it).

Not putting out the 3DS version seems silly though. The Switch version is probably going to be its own thing based on it not being ready for 2018, but, again... eh, I guess I'll just have to wait. I'm certainly not starving for JRPG this year, so I can live with DQ XI being a 2019 title.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
You're right.

But don't let that stop y'all from coming up with reasons not to buy the latest Dragon Quest game. It's always gotta be something.
To be fair, I don't want to play it on my PS4 and probably not on my PC. I want to do what I did with Xenoblade and play sometimes on the tv but pick it up and take it on the bus or in bed or just be able to play it whenever or wherever I want.

This screams like a co-marketing thing from Sony. It seems weird but I am fine with it I guess. We may not get a straight answer but I remember the gnashing of teeth and wailing when MS secured a timed exclusive but when it appears that Sony is doing it too no one says anything. Look at this and DQ Heroes for Switch. I am amazed DQ Builders 2 was announced for same release on Switch.

It baffles me that this is the place where Sony wants to push around its weight. I am hopeful the game has a lot of success regardless, but I am going to wait for Switch or a stupid Steam sale.