• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
A day and date PC release for a major Japanese SE title? I'm so excited right now, especially considering I never expected a PC version in the first place.
They've done it before with Nier Automata (it was a bit delayed but it still counts). It seems that they've settled in nicely with the platform and probably will continue doing so from now on.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I think what makes it stand out so much (in a bad way) is that they are obviously trying to have their music sound like an orchestra played it. So I don't understand why they wouldn't go the extra mile and let an actual orchestra do it. It's not like DQ has to be developed on a low budget, considering how much DQ sells in Japan alone.
The reason is that Koichi Sugiyama (composer) wants to sell concert tickets. I'm not kidding. He wants orchestrated performances to be reserved for people who pay to come to his concerts.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda curious what this thread would look like if it was the other way around and the PS4 version came out "much later"
jbhmmm.png

I mean this is stupid because the PS4 version is already out and the Switch version isn't in the region where it'd sell the most so... maybe its just not ready?

Unless you think Square is taking checks from Sony to not release the game on Switch in Japan for some reason... which seems dumb.

Also amazed at how many people think this game will flop. Think it'll do pretty well for itself considering the popularity of the platforms its on now instead of where its been in the past, still no Switch is a bummer though

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean I am pretty annoyed we're not getting the 3DS version, but I don't think it's all that hard to see how this version would be a tough sell in the West.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
So I've only heard the tracks in the english footage and I think it sounds fine? Are there better examples of the ost to show how bad it is?

Willy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sad about the 3DS version not being localised but happy to see there will be a PC version on day one.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly just glad its coming and only a little more than a year after the Japanese release. There was a time not so long ago where this just would not have been possible.

Are people more sad at not having the 3DS version from that version of the 3D gameplay, loss of 2D version, or lack of portability. Two of those are definitely issues for me (and why I'll eventually double dip for a Switch version for off-TV playing) but I can't say I will be missing the art direction of the 3D version of the 3DS game.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair I am in the group who doesn't think real Switch Development began until the fisrt versions were done. So last year at the earliest.

That makes sense. Shit happens. The real issue as always is poor communication about it.

I'd love to see Square get all the games up and running on all platforms. This is a series that will only benefit from more access.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
If playing it handheld means I'm waiting until "much later", well, I guess that's what I'm gonna have to do... well, that or remote play. For Dragon Quest, I might have to do the latter.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
The reason is that Koichi Sugiyama (composer) wants to sell concert tickets. I'm not kidding. He wants orchestrated performances to be reserved for people who pay to come to his concerts.

Sugiyama also owns the license for his own music right? So he's literally the one who makes the call I think. I wish they'd just drop the dude already. Final Fantasy can survive without Uematsu. Dragon Quest can survive without Sugiyama.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
How long was the Japanese game? I got bored of the 80 odd hours I spent in VIII and haven't touched others in the series. If it's as long, I guess it'll be a pass from me. Looks pretty though.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Can we get a Gordon Freeman hazard suit for the MC?

He and Gordon have the same personality

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
PC?? YESSSSS! Now release VIII as appetizer.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The PS4 and Steam DQ games also sold like shit. The truth is SE just isn't interested in the platform overseas and never really has been.
The last time the series performed well in the West was on the DS, with Dragon Quest 9, Dragon Quest 4 Remake, and Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker. Then Square-Enix literally squandered all that goid will with how they handled Dragon Quest 5 Remake, Dragon Quest 6 Remake, and Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2. Sales on the 3DS are a symptom of that, in my eyes.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Nah only you are jumping to conclusions, I am grousing and probably seeing things that don't exist but make logical sense. Especially with what rumors we heard about MonHun.

Like I said its not a big deal, but you can wonder out loud without it being a conspiracy theory or something crackpot. Some of yall get so offended if people ask questions about whatever your sacred cow may be. In case you are wondering that means everyone not just you or Somy fans or Nintendo fans etc. Folks getting too worked up when people ask questions about their insert favorite thing/company.

I think it makes perfect sense for Sony to do a co-marketing agreement with SE on DQ. Nintendo clearly wasn't getting it done as well in the west, Sony locks up a big Japanese brand for a set time and SE gets backing for ventures that haven't always been as successful as they want in the west. Thats not a conspiracy thats common sense.
dance-moms-abbys-backand-she-brought-tiny-ree-L-ZepCwP-1.gif

What did I just read? I 'm the one jumping to conclusion? In one sentence you admit to see stuff that is there and the next your following stuff to their natural conclusion. Check my previous post as it addresses your second paragraph.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I knew they'd do a voiceover but I didn't know they'd release on Steam. Both are exceptionally good news to me!

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Needlessly trying to incite console wars. What if we lived in a timeline where all versions launched at the same time, including a 3ds and xbone version? Too bad we don't.
That would be nice for everyone and I don't think anyone here is against it, but we live in the timeline where people complained non-stop about the Switch version holding this back (not true) and now they tell people to deal with it instead of expressing their disappointment. The bias is strong.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
The last time the series performed well in the West was on the DS, with Dragon Quest 9, Dragon Quest 4 Remake, and Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker. Then Square-Enix literally squandered all that goid will with how they handled Dragon Quest 5 Remake, Dragon Quest 6 Remake, and Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2. Sales on the 3DS are a symptom of that, in my eyes.
whats wrong with these remakes? They were fantastic.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda baffling how they wanna expand their IPs NOW in the west, but never tried that stuff on a DS or 3DS.
It isn't like that these machines never sold well in the west or did I miss something here?
Capcom (with MH) and Square Enix (with DQ) never bothered to bring the games over to the west by themselves. Nintendo had to step in to do this and I'm thankful for them for that.

And sorry, but I don't own a PS4 and don't trust Square Enix with PC Ports at all.
I wanna play this, like Xenoblade 2, on my Switch so I can play this HUUUUGE game anywhere with ease.
It took me so long to finish the original Xenoblade due to not being able to play it on the go or at my parents house and to pause the game for a week or two and then trying to get back into it.
Xenoblade 2 was done before 2017 ended.

And seriously, how long do we need to wait? 2 years after the initial JP-release? Is it the 90s again?

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
Delcadar -> Heliodor
Graig -> Hendrik
Camus -> Erik

so far. I'm sure there's lots of other name changes. This is pretty standard for DQ translations.
Yeah probably most common change would be

Loto -> Erdrick

However the one I really disliked was from DQVI

Hassan -> Carver.

On another note, you are also right Aeana, DQ threads in this forum is somewhat a mess.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SE stance over Nintendo system's versions of DQXI is questionable to say the least. No 3DS localization and how they are acting over the Switch version is like they are undermining any interest into this version. Remember, this was the first game ever announced for Nintendo Switch, so this long delay is unjustificated unless there is some exclusive deal with Sony for consoles (and probably there is).

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
That's just something only a niche will ever touch. It will be judged by the default difficulty.
The standard difficulty mode is easy for the first half and then gets a fair bit more difficult. I don't think it's that bad. The epilogue stuff definitely posed quite a challenge, too.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
whats wrong with these remakes? They were fantastic.
Nothing, they just were localized super late, well after the good will had been expended, and only because Nintendo aggressively pushed for them. Also, I would argue the remake of 6 is strictly worse than the original, since it dropped monster taming, but that's disconnected from the point I was trying to make.