• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
How's playing as a mage? I usually use melee in these types of games but I'm thinking of switching it up
It starts a little boring, but quickly becomes pretty fun I think. Basically, mage (the starter vocation) is more of a buffer/healer than an attacker which is why it starts slow, but once you change to sorcerer, you're going to be a god.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
How's playing as a mage? I usually use melee in these types of games but I'm thinking of switching it up
Trust me on this. I'm not exaggerating when I say Dragon's Dogma quite possibly has the best spellcasting in any game out there. It's why I soooooooo want a DD2 as playing as a mage/sorcerer in this game rocks.

Although it's a good idea not to start the game off as a mage, stick with fighter for a bit before switch to the mage vocation later on.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

It's stupid hard for the first few hours, and you'll spend your time running around because everything will nuke your HP, but then I'd say around level 25 the game starts becoming easier. By the midpoint of the story it's smooth sailing for any class until the post game and Dark Arisen content.
Mage can become a Sorcerer though, and that is probably the best pure magic class in any game. Sorcerer shines if you and your pawn are both one, as you can basically twin cast spells to increase effectiveness.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
That's a great OP, especially the tips for beginners 👍 I have the game preloaded already but still got to finish a few other games first. I have a feeling this game will be right up my alley, can't wait!

Oct 29, 2017
I have this on PC but never got into it. I really, REALLY hope that the performance is good and the game looks decent because for $30 dollars + portability I'll give this a go.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man my switch is about to be my best friend again for this one

This will be the perfect portable time sink lol

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the responses guys, I'll probably start off as Fighter then and then change to Mage when I get stronger and learn the lay of the land better. I've played this game a few times before but I never was able to get super into it. Hopefully this time is the time.

blackmass

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin - Germany
Like vestan already said, spellcasting in this game is unreached. The effort Capcom put into this is crazy. Same goes for the animations of your character and monsters/beasts.

Another tip: You'll get more EXP when the other two pawns (not your main pawn) have a lower level than you. 1% per level, up to 25% more EXP per pawn. That means, you can get 50% more EXP when you travel with your main pawn only.
BUT DON'T DO THIS ON YOUR FIRST PLAYTHROUGH!

The beginning of the game is quite rough, because of the low stamina bar. Fight your way through this, you are gonna laugh about it later since you get teleport crystals that you can put everywhere you want (5 with every playthrough)

And you can copy almost every item at the Black cat. Saves a lot of time, when play it through the second time.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Yup will buy this again.

Return of my badass tiny bowgirl with questionable outfit choices. (In all seriousness, I honestly love you can go all classic fantasy novel kid character conquering danger OR hardened, aged warrior badass in this. More games should do that.)

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
i just finished DARK SOULS 1, by the end i was quite tired of its combat (3 was much more fun, second half of 1 is not so good) cant wait to try this one :D could not give it a proper chance back on 360.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
made some new gifs:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
Wonderful OT! I love, love, love, the ost and stronger story beats of the game but have it on PS4. With the really distracting popin I'm still on the fence about the switch version but it has my support! Woo!

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
I have the game preordered and really look forward to play it for the first time this coming golden week holiday.
And yeah thanks for the beginners tips, I'll make sure to follow them when I start.

Noriea

Nov 8, 2017
Was going to pick this up on switch for my first playthrough but saw it on capcom sale on GoG for $7.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Was planning on getting this for switch, but I don't want to take my wife away from My Time at Portia, she's hooked lol. Going to get it on the Xbox though and grab it portably for a replay down the road. Can't wait to finally give the game a shot.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

Genuinely impressed by this port. Visual differences between the PS4 and Switch seem very minimal. Plus performance seems rock solid.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah gotta say, looking through the footage, I didn't think this would run well on the switch. Probably because the ps4pro/x are still 30fps.

But either way, magical game. I started a new play through on PS4 a week or so ago. It's my favourite rough diamond last gen. I want a sequel so much. Maybe now that DMCV has come, Itsuno will get to this.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Will I like this if I like Skyrim but dislike most JRPGs?
When I first played DD:DA, someone said it was comparable to a fully fleshed out version of their D&D arcade games, just complete with AI partners, longevity and in 3D.

A lot of things are simplified and some things go out of their way to add refinement to the combat.

And brilliant job on the OP, you got me thinking about picking up another version of this game; or at least installing it again.

As always, fingers crossing that this will be the port that green lights a proper sequel...very few games have ever given me the tension and pleasure of fighting and beating that fist ogre in a tight corridor as DD.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
What resolutions does this run at?
720p handheld, 1080p docked

When I first played DD:DA, someone said it was comparable to a fully fleshed out version of their D&D arcade games, just complete with AI partners, longevity and in 3D.

A lot of things are simplified and some things go out of their way to add refinement to the combat.

And brilliant job on the OP, you got me thinking about picking up another version of this game; or at least installing it again.

As always, fingers crossing that this will be the port that green lights a proper sequel...very few games have ever given me the tension and pleasure of fighting and beating that fist ogre in a tight corridor as DD.
Thanks!

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
It's perfect for Switch. The portability alone makes it a must buy and at $30, it's a nice and super meaty game. I almost got all the achievements for it on 360 before it crapped out and barely chipped through Bitter Black Isle as it was quite tough. But damn if I didn't have a ton of fun and enjoyed every moment of it. Fighting monsters big and small felt epic like no other games since then have successfully replicated.

As someone who loves exploring in RPGs, the excellent combat was a bonus. I hope Itsuno gets to make DD2 because it's going to be one hell of a sequel. I've thought about double dipping on PS4 because the 360 community was dead. Hell, if I had gaming PC, I would play the hell out of it there.

One tip I would add is to wail on the corpses of big monsters before they rot away to break off parts. It's super important. I also echo having a mage in the party as a healer. It's super vital to always have one with healing magic. My favorite class is easily the Magick Archer because you have a bow that fires off homing missiles but every class is viable and fun to use (except for the mage early on). Don't be tempted to use a friend's OP pawn BTW. I made a huge mistake and regret it because it didn't grant any EXP bonuses.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
I posted direct-feed undocked footage a week ago. I'm sure people will be interested to see how it runs while in handheld mode:

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for this, I think I've bought it five times? It'll be awesome to start it up on the go, I keep buying all these old ports because I'm amazed that this is accomplishable in handheld mode.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
YES. This means they are going to make another one, right? I mean, it has to mean that.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Probably will get this again, eventually, I love it enough, just not sure I want to restart a new character. But they are masterworks all, can't go wrong

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if there's usually a difference in load times between cart and download versions of games on Switch?

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Jealous of the people who get to play this for the first time.

Incredible game.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
This game will be my consolation prize for when I'm back from my holiday trip. At least i'll be happy to come back home and get back to work

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've never played this game before. I'll think about getting the Switch port.