• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
If commercial success matters, the big three is just as J. Cole named it in "First Person Shooter" but with Drake at 1 and Kenny at 2.

If quality of the art/flow matters the big three is Kenny, Black Thought and 3rd is up for grabs. Yes I know Black Thought is an old head, but he's been releasing solo stuff and it's on the the level of his funk flex freestyle.

(I stan Watsky, but I know it's a stan). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZY8pHOlDvA Take a listen. This track is just a regular tuesday for Watsky.

Last edited:

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Probably the funniest thing so far is Metro's ass being in this at all. He really DOES need to sit this one out and seethe behind the scenes. No idea what the fuck dude is doing.
I'm confused what you mean. What exactly is Metro doing wrong? He isn't a rapper and he isn't rapping. He's a producer. He's producing. What's the problem?

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
Drake Kendrick and Kanye

if Kanye is disqualified for being an antisemite and completely fucking washed it's Drake Kendrick and Travis
This post is correct.

I wouldn't personally put Drake in the big 3 at all since he's a pop artist but he's unfortunately completely unavoidable when having a conversation about the larger context of the industry.

Despite Kanye being a Nazi or how you may personally feel about him, he recently put out an album with basically zero sponsorship and little support from the industry as a whole after alienating himself and it still went #1.
He might have fallen off hard in many ways, but his name still carries a lot of weight.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
The 3 best rappers of this gen? Drake Kendrick's and Cole easily. Future doesn't compute at all. He's an undeniably good song writer, but bar for bar, he's not even close to being in the same weight class as a rapper.

It's like saying Nelly is up there with Nas, Jay, and 3000
I'll add to what you said about Future.

Future has the hood going crazy. Even 21 Savage said it. In the hood, it's all about Future. Future already got all the Strip Clubs on lock.

And it's not about how good he is or isn't bar for bar. It's about how Future makes you feel. His voice, his style, his foresight. He's completely a trendsetter. What he raps about gets copied by other rappers for years.

"Fucked your bitch in Gucci flip-flops" has been repeated by numerous rappers in some kind of manner over almost the last 10 years.

And another thing with Future is that he's ALWAYS had the best beats behind him. Whether it's Metro, Zaytoven, Southside & 808 Mafia, ATL Jacob etc.

Future is one of hip-hops greats. Maybe not one of the most skilful rappers bar for bar, but by far one of the best music makers.

Last edited:

BatterseaPS

Oct 6, 2023
Future has the hood going crazy. Even 21 Savage said it. In the hood, it's all about Future. Future already got all the Strip Clubs on lock.

And it's not about how good he is or isn't bar for bar. It's about how Future makes you feel. His voice, his style, his foresight. He's completely a trendsetter. What he raps about gets copied by other rappers for years.

"Fucked your bitch in Gucci flip-flops" has been repeated by numerous rappers in some kind of manner over almost the last 10 years.

And another thing with Future is that he's ALWAYS had the best beats behind him. Whether it's Metro, Zaytoven, Southside & 808 Mafia, ATL Jacob etc.

Future is one of hip-hops greats. Maybe not one of the most skilful rappers bar for bar, but by far one of the best music makers.
That's the thing that makes me feel like Kendrick isn't influential as people think. Like, I listen to Kendrick's albums all the time and rarely to Future, but in the end, Kendrick's biggest legacy might be being a Pitchfork-type musician and that one NBA playoffs song a few years ago. Future, Migos, and others of his contemporaries all get much more play with the people and influence hip-hop much more.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
That's the thing that makes me feel like Kendrick isn't influential as people think. Like, I listen to Kendrick's albums all the time and rarely to Future, but in the end, Kendrick's biggest legacy might be being a Pitchfork-type musician and that one NBA playoffs song a few years ago. Future, Migos, and others of his contemporaries all get much more play with the people and influence hip-hop much more.
It's such a tough topic. "The best rappers".

What defines "The best rapper"?

Because people like Loaded Lux absolutely destroyed the Battle Rap scene. Some of the most talented (battle) rapping you've ever heard. But have you listened to a Loaded Lux album? Exactly!

Yet we know that bar for bar, J Cole beats Future, but Future makes far better rap songs and has an overall bigger influence in hip-hop.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I'll add to what you said about Future.

Yeah can't really deny his contribution to the genre. But I think that's a different discussion from "who's the big 3"

Honestly, I think the fact that people slide in Future's lane is exactly why he's not in the big 3. There's a million Future-lites.

Like who slid in Big's lane, or Pac's lane?. Nas, Jay or Em? Andre 3000? Nobody can do what they did and find the same level of success.

J.Cole- he's not artistic AND he don't tear the club up. But dude consistently drop #1 albums, mixtapes, and verses … about being a regular ass dude with technical skill lol. It's an impossible lane to ride in, in a genre that rewards glorification of life's ills and materialism.

And he did so much of it by his damn self. Like, he almost never has the "best" beats. He has J. Cole beats. 90s influenced, heady beats that shouldn't work in 2024 because people want to vibe- but it works for him.

Being "influential" isn't the measure. No one can do what Kendrick does. He's rare talent. So how can he be influential in that sense? Trying to sound like Kendrick is a recipe for failure for anyone not Kendrick.

In contrast Many people can and have used Future's formula to great success, because it replicable.

Last edited:

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

Swimming Pools, Alright etc get played all the time on black radio, black parties etc. He doesn't have the mass amount of sales of a Drake (not many do, Bad Bunny? Swift? He beats Beyonce I believe in streams) but Kendrick thing is that he's got an insane amount of critical acclaim AND 'radio' play which is rare across the music spectrum even outside of hip-hop. And he's got his direct disciples that have had major hits like JID. To call him a Pitchfork artist is a big misread.

Last edited:

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Time to close this thread

Mar 15, 2019
Brazil

prince outlived mike jack

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In addition to what everyone else said, being influential is overrated anyways. I only care about their work - not their sales or the number of copycats they have.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
In addition to what everyone else said, being influential is overrated anyways. I only care about their work - not their sales or the number of copycats they have.

T-Pain is arguably the most influential artist this generation but no one is bringing him up as top artist. Influential is nonsense because terrible media can be influential, sales is nonsense because popularity is mostly about luck. The only thing that matters is how much you enjoy the media and/or how good you find it. Other than that why should anyone that isn't benefiting from an artist or piece of media care about sales/ratings/influence/whatever.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
T-Pain is arguably the most influential artist this generation but no one is bringing him up as top artist. Influential is nonsense because terrible media can be influential, sales is nonsense because popularity is mostly about luck. The only thing that matters is how much you enjoy the media and/or how good you find it. Other than that why should anyone that isn't benefiting from an artist or piece of media care about sales/ratings/influence/whatever.
True.

That said, Honestly, T-Pain deserves some damn flowers from contemporaries. Despite having a godly singing voice, and a very technical writing and delivery style, he blew the doors open for tone-def people to make millions crooning and/or rapping mediocrely

BatterseaPS

Oct 6, 2023
I agree with everyone — being influential does not impact how good of an artist someone is. Kendrick's shit is transcendent to me, and I listen to it and it's beautiful and bold and creative.

I DO however think that hip-hop artists specifically and necessarily need to interact with "the culture." It's part and parcel of the art form that it keeps an ear to the public and that it engages in a conversation. And don't you just have the impression that the culture hasn't had much interest in KDot?

He's mentioned in sentences with Pac and Biggie and OutKast and NWA and Snoop but those are artists who were important and significant in that moment and later as well. The people wanted them, they sang and rapped along with them, they danced to them, they wore their merch, and wanted to act and look and sound like them. Kendrick falls short in comparison to them AND to his contemporaries.

One disclaimer is that I'm NY-based, and so I don't know what Compton's relationship with him is. Maybe his music is much more interacted with there and he's just hyper local in the way that some Bronx and Brooklyn rappers have been here.

PS we're not slandering TPain here to make any kind of point 😤

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with everyone — being influential does not impact how good of an artist someone is. Kendrick's shit is transcendent to me, and I listen to it and it's beautiful and bold and creative.

I DO however think that hip-hop artists specifically and necessarily need to interact with "the culture." It's part and parcel of the art form that it keeps an ear to the public and that it engages in a conversation. And don't you just have the impression that the culture hasn't had much interest in KDot?

He's mentioned in sentences with Pac and Biggie and OutKast and NWA and Snoop but those are artists who were important and significant in that moment and later as well. The people wanted them, they sang and rapped along with them, they danced to them, they wore their merch, and wanted to act and look and sound like them. Kendrick falls short in comparison to them AND to his contemporaries.

One disclaimer is that I'm NY-based, and so I don't know what Compton's relationship with him is. Maybe his music is much more interacted with there and he's just hyper local in the way that some Bronx and Brooklyn rappers have been here.

The culture has had much interest in Kendrick. Kendrick just isn't a commodity like previous legends in the game. Those folks were everywhere. Kendrick just pops out, drops some fire, then disappears until the next bomb drop.

I don't think anyone is slandering T-Pain, the exact opposite is happening. When I see people talk about "Big 3 Future", I hear them saying things that would be more accurate if they were talking about T-Pain.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
How long until Kendrick has to drop something if he wants to match BBL Drizzy?

Cuz right now it feels like there are no big three, there's just Big Drake.

One month between diss responses is too long imho, 2 weeks is my limit, this is a battle, not a nap.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Tupac estate should sue Drake cornball ass anyway, that AI shit was beyond horrible.

Solidus Snake

Apr 20, 2024
How long until Kendrick has to drop something if he wants to match BBL Drizzy?

Cuz right now it feels like there are no big three, there's just Big Drake.

One month between diss responses is too long imho, 2 weeks is my limit, this is a battle, not a nap.
Tupac wouldn't be proud of Kendrick if he was still around lmao

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017

As Trup said, it's actually the opposite. T-Pain is probably the biggest influence to music in the 2000s but he's never mentioned in any "big X" or when people talk about influence.

Same with Chief Keef, his sound has been emulated by dozens of new artists since his big hits. Who talks about his influence though.

Too many use influence as a checkmark to say why their popular artist is better than other popular artist when bigger influential people are pushed to the side in the arguments. It makes the entire thing, as I said before, pretty nonsensical.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
travis isn't my favorite but i guess you can put him there as top 3... he's huge and moves numbers too plus he has his unique sound... i still fuck with cole though, he's been on an amazing tear lately

That hasnt helped Cole because he straight up apologized, took it off dsps, cheered Kendrick at his own festival and said his "jaw out". Not the same situation at all.

Taylor Made was never on dsps.

Only kendrick stans or drake haters are spinning this at a win for Kdot.

bingo... there's fans on both sides that want to spin anything as a win

He's working on a octuple entendre.

it's finna hit us when he drops... and then hit us again in 8 years

Dec 31, 2017
Lmfao

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
K-DOT WHERE ARE YOU?!?!

chopper-crypiece.jpg

eDIGI

Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Man this starting to reminds me of back in the day wondering when and if Nas was going to reply to Takeover, and mas already being counted out.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
J Cole can literally never boast on a song again. It's over for that.

Losing is one thing, you can still respect someone whole lost but put up the fight. You can ever respect someone who never entered the fray, floated above it all.

Not dropping a track, apologizing, then deleting it two days later lmao.

Yeah, no more top 3 from you Cole lmao