• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
My vote goes to this unit in Metal Slug Attack. If you've got a big ass knife attached to your pants that have suspenders, use the damn suspenders.

Bonus character design featuring Japan's continuing obsession with Nazis and their outfits.

Oct 28, 2017
Xenoblade-Chronicles-2.jpg

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Was the first character in the OP the result of a fusion dance between Solid Snake and one of the characters from DOAX?

Oct 25, 2017
canada
What in the world at the first one

Anyways, just to get it outta da way

Rex and Pyra from XC2

Tho everyone besides them and Dahlia's spine, look fibe

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Cidney from FF15, and almost all the characters from Xenonlade 2, unfortunately.

Counting Ff15 mostly because of all the updates this year it's when I played most of it. And it's that bad.

Soul Unison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My first thought was the cast of Xenoblade 2, but that Metal Slug image in the OP is just...insultingly pandering.
Who are the people that enjoy this kind of shit and why don't they burn with uncontrollable embarrassment at how easy they are to manipulate.

Ignoring how implausible it is that she could ever even move without those pants instantly falling down, the designer blatantly decided that a military character - a soldier - would sacrifice comfort and mobility to show off just a little bit more of her ass and thong.
Maybe she wouldn't be covered in battle scars if she didn't dress like a a discount stripper during Fleet Week.

She even looks fucking embarrassed of herself! Look at her expression.
Even the artist knows this is some stupid, stupid shit.

Cidney from FF15, and almost all the characters from Xenonlade 2, unfortunately.

Final Fantasy XV is a 2016 game.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
My vote goes to this unit in Metal Slug Attack. If you've got a big ass knife attached to your pants that have suspenders, use the damn suspenders.

Bonus character design featuring Japan's continuing obsession with Nazis and their outfits.

What the fuck is that? It looks like they put a toddlers head on a bodybuilder and she forgot to wear clothes.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I actually love Metal Slug Attack's designs, even if they're just a mixture of cheesecake and fetish fuel.

I'm actually pretty thankful that I don't have any glaring ones to take issue with in 2017. Maybe aside from Xenoblade 2 but that's well worn turf already.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
It's pretty unfair to count gacha games in this, because they're financially obliged to get stupider and stupider as time goes on. I will say that I checked out of MSA after that dumb cowgirl character, though.

Give me a real Metal Slug game please.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Those are the kind of designs that make me question how many people are needed to approve a design before it makes it into the game. In this case I would say that three is already generous.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
OP you aren't allowed to end your own thread.

I didn't even know what this game was. Does it really count if it is a mobile game? :P

Whales

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
woa. OP won at his own thread

also, 90% of the characters in xenoblade 2 are atrocious design

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Xenoblade 2 got all the employees at Save a Lot pitching in for their wack ass designs lmfao

The weird kid in high school flexing off his tracing skills from the "how to draw manga book"

You couldn't possibly make a more sterile looking title, but what insults me the most about Xenoblade 2 is the horrid marketing of those character designs that hid the gems in the rough DeviantArt-esque portfolio

But I mean that's like, two designs in a shit island

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty much always going to be a game from Japan, and most likely a mobage, at that.

That being said... after thinking about it, it really is hard to top the one in the OP. Even as bad as many of FGO's designs can be, I don't think any of them have reached the sheer level of WTF that is that design. Sheesh.

Oct 25, 2017
My vote goes for the majority of the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 characters.

Rex looks like someone would create to parody the outrageous designs of JRPG's.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I mean, I like her design and accept Taro's excuse for it but I'll understand criticism if someone does list her here. Be it the fetish-esque blindfold, the open skirt, to the high heels. I won't argue with anyone who hates it.
Yeah, that's fair. To be honest, the one design that kinda confused me was A2's due to the weird patches of her skin that look like clothes but are really her endoskeleton.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'm too late to inb4 Rex/Pyra's designs in Xenoblade 2.
I quite enjoy their designs.

Though with the rare blade system in that game, most of the rare blades were personally designed by other artists across Japan.
Unfortunately some were misses.

Examples:
Xenoblade-Chroincles-2-Nim-Blade.jpg

and
eninua.jpg

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Not so much dumb as it is fucking ugly but I will never forget Troll and I, which struggles with the basic notion of designing a character.

3179915-troll-and-i_key-art_logo.jpg

Tbh I always feel like these sorts of designs are bottom of the barrel, even far below generic anime tiddy designs. At least those designs have some visible ideas or goals. Shit like this is like bad excecution of regular oatmeal.This thread is about dumb designs and not bad ones though, so feel free to disregard this thought!

Last edited:

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty much always going to be a game from Japan, and most likely a mobage, at that.

That being said... after thinking about it, it really is hard to top the one in the OP. Even as bad as many of FGO's designs can be, I don't think any of them have reached the sheer level of WTF that is that design. Sheesh.
...Have you seen Shuten Douji in FGO? That design is hot trash and I'm saying this as a person who likes Pyra.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm too late to inb4 Rex/Pyra's designs in Xenoblade 2.
I quite enjoy their designs.

Though with the rare blade system in that game, most of the rare blades were personally designed by other artists across Japan.
Unfortunately some were misses.

Examples:
Xenoblade-Chroincles-2-Nim-Blade.jpg

and
eninua.jpg

Godfrey looks pretty cool though....the one above however has something off about even compared to the other blades on the game. I can't put my finger on it.

Yeah those design in the OP are pretty stupid.

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 2. The entire game. There is not one design (outside of Kos Mos) in that game that is good. It is the most tacky, garish, lame, and aesthetically shitty game I have played in a long time.

HockeyGuy412

Banned
Nov 13, 2017

Anytime some post something from Twitter Its just a blue loading tweet link anyone know how to fix this ?

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
FgUr3Wr.png

Not the dumbest, but anyone explain what the heck she's wearing? Is it armor or not armor? The spaulder makes 0 sense regardless.

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was that supposed to prove me wrong. Whimsical big pants soldier and shitty generic moe robot girl?

Rare Blade looks neat, too bad thanks to the shitty RNG I haven't seen it.