Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not dumb but I will never forget Troll and I, which struggles with the basic notion of designing a character.

3179915-troll-and-i_key-art_logo.jpg
Wow, believe it or not this was the first thing that came to mind, lol.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pyra from XB2 might be the worst character in a video game from 2017. Everything about her from her design (especially the design) to her bland non-regional VA, to her personality just sucks.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
...Have you seen Shuten Douji in FGO? That design is hot trash and I'm saying this as a person who likes Pyra.
While I genuinely have no idea what she's actually wearing, her design actually suits her character as a hedonistic, all-powerful oni. That's not to say that I wouldn't like to see her wearing something that actually looks like it can be put on and taken off (seriously, what is that stuff made out of?), but it's at least not obviously out-of-character like it is for the design in the OP.

Now, Passionlip and Meltrillys, on the other hand... yeah, I don't even know.

incogneato

Self Requested Ban
Nov 8, 2017
Was that supposed to prove me wrong. Whimsical big pants soldier and shitty generic moe robot girl?

Rare Blade looks neat, too bad thanks to the shitty RNG I haven't seen it.
Well those were the two popular ones that people mention when it comes to good designs. I added Azami's design myself. I had my own issues with Xenoblade 2, but calling the entire game ugly is going a bit far.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FgUr3Wr.png

Not the dumbest, but anyone explain what the heck she's wearing? Is it armor or not armor? The spaulder makes 0 sense regardless.

Urbosa's design is nothing short of a 9/10.

Was that supposed to prove me wrong. Whimsical big pants soldier and shitty generic moe robot girl?

Rare Blade looks neat, too bad thanks to the shitty RNG I haven't seen it.

You may insult Poppi if you wish, but insulting Morag is completely unacceptable.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nomuras designs in XB2 are the best designs in the game, he's the only artist who shows any restraint

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, you know what? Queen of Sheba (from FGO) absolutely belongs here:
WAgO0Hk.png

Incredible. And she's supposed to be a queen, mind you.

Dunban

Oct 28, 2017
Not really designs but their character models from mvc infinite . I think they've been fixed since then but wow. What was Capcom thinking?
7S3XHfb.gif

Ah, that face. I'm getting flashbacks to all the times I've gone to design a female character in Dark Souls 1 and thought to myself "this time, it'll be different"

I think it's the half-eyebrows.

but insulting Morag is completely unacceptable.

Should be enshrined on Era's rules page, tbh.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Street Fighter 5's Abigail.
latest

I actually don't dislike the design overall, but that grin is just atrocious:

benbeau

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The worst (best?) part about Rex from Xenoblade 2 is that
his design gets even worse.

But yeah, Xenoblade 2 has a lot of trash. There's some genuinely good ones hidden away in it though. Morag's a good one.

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well those were the two popular ones that people mention when it comes to good designs. I added Azami's design myself. I had my own issues with Xenoblade 2, but calling the entire game ugly is going a bit far.
Well for you maybe, but outside of the stuff NIS, Gust, and IF put out which don't appeal to me anyway, I haven't played a jrpg which such universally bad art in a long while. There is nothing in this game that looks cool and while that's such a low brow statement, I'm sorry I like it when my games look cool or beautiful. Everything in the game looks tacky and/or boring. Sure some of the rare blades are nice, but most dig into anime waifu areas or are just whatever. Maybe as someone who is'nt into modern anime I'm in the wrong place, but nothing in this game is aesthetically pleasing. Even the mecha designs look lame. Nothing looks sleek.

Why people like Morag I don't know. Her pants are stupidly big. Her into outfit seems extremely ill fitting and bulky, which doesn't make sense for a military outfit which should be clinging tightly and orderly. Makes even less since for her personality. Then again I don't see why people like her character beyond that she's a girl and waifu anime fandom that must get into everything.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
What's frustrating about XB2 is that Monolith has had poor character designs for what seems like an eternity. How do you not have this fixed by now?

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Morag is probably the only character in Xenoblade 2 that doesn't look immediately ridiculous

Nia and Poppi have grown on me a bit, but they're still not that great. The game is like a smorgasbord of wacky anime bullshit, and while the idea of all that variety is intersting, very little of it is actually appealing.

Not so much dumb as it is fucking ugly but I will never forget Troll and I, which struggles with the basic notion of designing a character.

3179915-troll-and-i_key-art_logo.jpg

Tbh I always feel like these sorts of designs are bottom of the barrel, even far below generic anime tiddy designs. At least those designs have some visible ideas or goals. Shit like this is like bad excecution of regular oatmeal.This thread is about dumb designs and not bad ones though, so feel free to disregard this thought!
My brain keeps refusing to accept this as a thing that is real every time I see it.

and that example in the OP is fucking... something

Oct 25, 2017
Are any of the character designs in Xenoblades 2 good? I haven't played the game but it seems like everyone criticises the designs in just about every applicable thread.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the criticism for Rex's outfit is overblown. It's a diving outfit because he's a salvager who dives into the cloud sea. Literally every part of his outfit is based on actual diving gear

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
I feel kinda bad saying it, considering how the game flopped, but Lawbreakers had some pretty bad designs.

A1ak_5_Uj_S1_L.jpg

Pre-order now to unlock all these bland looking characters!

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played XB2 yet (probably won't thanks to the fanservice and kinda tired of another anime story), and these two (by Nomura right?) are awesome and makes me kinda wish they are the protagonist instead of another shonen teen.
Nomura actually designed every member of the main villain organization (though it's not a particularly big organization). Those two are the leaders of said organization

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I think the criticism for Rex's outfit is overblown. It's a diving outfit because he's a salvager who dives into the cloud sea. Literally every part of his outfit is based on actual diving gear
When its fully diving gear its fine.

The problem is he doesn't where it like that.

He wears it like a chaps romper

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
FgUr3Wr.png

Not the dumbest, but anyone explain what the heck she's wearing? Is it armor or not armor? The spaulder makes 0 sense regardless.

I liked the Gerudo a lot in BotW, but I hate how it continues the fantasy cliché of "they live in an extremely hot climate, so they wear less clothing!"

I see people use that to defend certain bad character designs, as they somehow forget about sunburn or how real people in arid climates dress.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Nomura actually designed every member of the main villain organization (though it's not a particularly big organization). Those two are the leaders of said organization

Just looked at them in the wiki. They are all great, Patroka could use some pant to cover up her crotch though lol, but she is muchhhh better than Pyra.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you think it looks bad that's fine, but it's very clearly a design with a specific intent and purpose behind it and not monolith soft randomly throwing shit at the wall like some people suggested in this thread

i mean... you can have an idea in mind but still end up throwing shit at a wall

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just looked at them in the wiki. They are all great, Patroka could use some pant to cover up her crotch though lol, but she is muchhhh better than Pyra.
Yeah, Nomura's designs are great in XC2. I'll readily admit that Pyra sucks design wise, but I think the rest of the main cast ranges from acceptable to great design wise personally. Though some of the rare blades *cough* Dahlia *cough* are pretty atrocious, but they're also by guest artists

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You see how his thighs are exposed for no reason? My only problem is that. They should have kept it closed in my honest opinion.