Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i mean... you can have an idea in mind but still end up throwing shit at a wall
I mean, I don't think you can call a design where literally every aspect was designed to convey a single purpose "throwing shit at a wall". You can say it looks ugly or silly or whatever, but it's definitely not random

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel kinda bad saying it, considering how the game flopped, but Lawbreakers had some pretty bad designs.

A1ak_5_Uj_S1_L.jpg

Pre-order now to unlock all these bland looking characters!

How anyone can keep going XB2 when these abominations exist is beyond me. But I like JRPGs so whatever.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Xenoblade 2. The entire game. There is not one design (outside of Kos Mos) in that game that is good. It is the most tacky, garish, lame, and aesthetically shitty game I have played in a long time.

I don't see why Kos Mos gets a pass. Stylistically I don't think she's really all that standout (outside of where she came from) compared to most of the other rare blades in the game.

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean if you took away the helmet, Rex's outfit would'nt look like any scuba gear. So I don't buy that defense. His helmet is the only part that conjurers images of deep sea diving.

Rbz

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
God damn XC2 has garbage character design. I won't lie that Pyra alone has single-handedly convinced me not to purchase the game - I'd be way too embarrassed to play it in front of my wife.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They close up, with no real explanation, when he dives lol.

I know! It drives me nuts!

I don't see why Kos Mos gets a pass. Stylistically I don't think she's really all that standout (outside of where she came from) compared to most of the other rare blades in the game.

Nostalgia? She's been bad by default with her super short skirt and funky armor. I'm glad they went with Xenosaga 1 version, because the other two were even WORSE

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I don't think you can call a design where literally every aspect was designed to convey a single purpose "throwing shit at a wall". You can say it looks ugly or silly or whatever, but it's definitely not random

i mean... you can still have your design all planned about but still end up planning to throw specific shit at a wall

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Nostalgia? She's been bad by default with her super short skirt and funky armor. I'm glad they went with Xenosaga 1 version, because the other two were even WORSE

Yeah, that's kind of my point. Her design isn't egregiously bad but I don't get how one can legitimately say the whole xb2 cast is bad besides Kos Mos. I think there are a lot of characters with better design than her in the game despite me not being fond of the character design of the game in general.

It just seems like an easy nostalgia cop out.

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
he's wearing a wetsuit and his boots are based on a type of diving boot
A wet suit that doesn't cover one of his arms or his whole legs.

And big boots that rather then looking like 1920's diving suits( and would cover all of the bottom not just the legs) look like something you'd see and baby toys.

And what is with the vest? Why doesn't his diving suit cover his whole body then? Why is he light in some areas and not others since it's not based on modern suba gear? We see other salvagers and they have their whole bodies covered.

Also why would he wear this outfit when he's not diving?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not too familiar with KOS-MOS, but I know in Endless Frontier her armour or whatever popped out a blade which cut open her shirt whenever she used a certain attack. Is that only in that game? Because that was the dumbest thing.

incogneato

Self Requested Ban
Nov 8, 2017
Well for you maybe, but outside of the stuff NIS, Gust, and IF put out which don't appeal to me anyway, I haven't played a jrpg which such universally bad art in a long while. There is nothing in this game that looks cool and while that's such a low brow statement, I'm sorry I like it when my games look cool or beautiful. Everything in the game looks tacky and/or boring. Sure some of the rare blades are nice, but most dig into anime waifu areas or are just whatever. Maybe as someone who is'nt into modern anime I'm in the wrong place, but nothing in this game is aesthetically pleasing. Even the mecha designs look lame. Nothing looks sleek.

Why people like Morag I don't know. Her pants are stupidly big. Her into outfit seems extremely ill fitting and bulky, which doesn't make sense for a military outfit which should be clinging tightly and orderly. Makes even less since for her personality. Then again I don't see why people like her character beyond that she's a girl and waifu anime fandom that must get into everything.
Yeah I understand why you might not like some of the designs or why they might not appeal to you. The game's art is very evocative of contemporary animé art which I, admittedly, was displeased with when it was initially presented. It's grown on me though, even though I feel like the artstyle is exacerbated by the fact that your first three party members in the game are literally the youngest player characters in the game as well. I feel the art is better when applied to the fourth and fifth party members, because I don't take issue with either of their designs.

I like Morag, actually. Her pants are very on-trend with the pajama fashion that is currently dominating womenswear and I like the little embellishments and overall silhouette that she has going on. The color palette is solid and I can easily discern that she is a formidable character in terms of status and personality in one quick glance, so I think that the designer accomplished that aspect of the design itself. I also appreciate Poppi because she's reminiscent of Astroboy, and I really appreciate how her personality and how a majority of her focus scenes are callbacks to that animé.

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
Another from Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Ricca

DMkE6KJV4AAQoL_thumb.jpg

Wtf lmao, how could you even take this character seriously? Her skirt so short it exposes her cameltoe. Not to mention the common shitty tropes like high heels, thigh-highs, and boob window. I'd start laughing the moment she popped on screen.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

DMkE6KJV4AAQoL_thumb.jpg

Wtf lmao, how could you even take this character seriously? Her skirt so short it exposes her cameltoe. Not to mention the common shitty tropes like high heels, thigh-highs, and boob window. I'd start laughing the moment she popped on screen.
I mean you don't need to take her seriously because she's not actually involved in the game's story whatsoever

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Nomura's designs are great in XC2. I'll readily admit that Pyra sucks design wise, but I think the rest of the main cast ranges from acceptable to great design wise personally. Though some of the rare blades *cough* Dahlia *cough* are pretty atrocious, but they're also by guest artists

Oh yeah, only Rex and Pyra have bad design out of all character I have seen. The big tiger, the dude with eyepatch, and Morag are great. The nopon, the catgirl and moe robot are "anime" but they are not offensive.

Oct 28, 2017
Monolith has always been bad at character design.

One of their older games here, Baten kaitos on GameCube also has terrible looking cast members.
bk-kalas_xelha.jpg

bko-gena.jpg

giacomo_online-img_1759.jpg

2164512-gibari_eternal_wings.jpg

Last edited:

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Hooo, boy. I had no idea that Metal Slug character was a thing this year, and I was way better off not knowing.

Honestly, Pyra's absurd chest and the terrifying ice titty monster thing from Xenoblade 2 have significantly hampered my excitement for the game. I was super into Chronicles and X, and forgave them for their indulgences into anime cheesecake, but this shit is too much. I never thought I'd wait on a Xenoblade game, but this one has a become an "I'll get around to it someday" deal for me now.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
I honestly think the worst design in XC2 is actually Newt. The design just have the minimal amount of bikini to cover the private parts, throw a Nazi hat, and two floating arms on her. But no, the giant arm is also not actually for punching, she is a Katana user.

The design just screams nonsense

Last edited:

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also why would he wear this outfit when he's not diving?

Yeah after like hour three or so, Rex being a salvager just totally doesn't matter. You could easily go dozens of hours without diving once. Dude wears this dumbass outfit to meet the dang Space Elf Pope!

Buy some jeans at least, my guy. Take off your helmet, you will not need it in the Pope's audience chamber.

DMkE6KJV4AAQoL_thumb.jpg

She's even worse in motion, she mostly uses hat spear for pole-dancing and her tit physix are totally whack.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The Xenoblade 2 designs wouldn't bother me that much if they weren't part of a series where I always loved the designs. It feels like a regression tbh.

Loadout

Oct 26, 2017
Israel
I freaking love XC2 but man some of these designs are bad, luckily the characters grown into me and I enjoyed the hell out of it. What a game.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
FgUr3Wr.png

Not the dumbest, but anyone explain what the heck she's wearing? Is it armor or not armor? The spaulder makes 0 sense regardless.
Late reply but its not unusual to see leaders of tribes or cities wear overly flashy clothing. They are supposed to be a morale boost in battle after all. That was also her champions clothing, even more important for it to be eye catching.

EDIT: heels are dumb, shes supposed to be in the desert.

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly even the Nomura designs in XB2 are nothing to write home about. Nothing offensive honestly, but nothing memorable. They felt really lacking his since of style and personality. Really restrained. Did he just do the faces? Thats what it feels like honestly.