Votes: 47 5.3%

• Total voters
OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Denis Villeneuve Talks ‘Dune 2’ and Why ‘Blade Runner 2049’ Still Keeps Him Up at Night

The THR Titan reveals why he took a nine-year break from directing, shares hopes for ‘Dune 3’ and reflects on his fears about working in Hollywood: “You hear all those stories of great filmmakers getting crushed by the system.”
Frank Herbert's Dune Messiah picks up 12 years after the events of Dune, which you split in half. Is that partially why you're in no hurry to finish a trilogy? Do you want the actors to age?

It's not that. I just finished Part Two very recently, and I went from Part One to Part Two without even an hour in between. I'm not complaining. I feel blessed to work, of course, but it's just that I physically need to recover for a couple of weeks. It's also about making sure that I have the right screenplay. I have four projects on the table, currently. One of them is a secret project that I cannot talk about right now, but that needs to see the light of day quite quickly. So it would be a good idea to do something in between projects, before tackling Dune Messiah and Cleopatra. All these projects are still being written, so we'll see where they go, but I have no control over that.

Seems that fourth secret project could be what Denis does before Messiah. He also rules out Cleopatra, so it's either the secret project or Rama.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Am I really misremembering the book ending for thinking these vague descriptions of it sound like a huge departure?

The antagonists lose and the protagonist "wins." The great tragedy is the impending repercussions for the galaxy and the Fremen way of life, but I can't imagine that's what they're talking about here when they describe the ending as painful and brutal. These sort of descriptions usually apply to deaths of characters that viewers like, but no one dies like that in the book right? Do we think we'll see someone die who doesn't die in the book? Unless Leto II is in the movie after all...
They keep really talking up how much this movie is a love story. I think the tragedy and betrayal will be that Paul marries Irulan instead of Chani. The book doesn't play it up much, but I think the movie will. Denis has said Chani was the most important aspect of this movie. And Zendaya and Florence in an interview talked about the tensions and sadness between their characters at the end.

I imagine there will be two things about the ending that will be offputting to audiences unfamiliar with the story:

1) Paul takes Irulan for wife, which based on interviews posted above is likely going to come off as much more of a gut punch to Chani than it does in the book, where she goes along with it rather meekly.
2) I suspect that the ending will see Paul take the throne as Emperor and make his first command for the Fremen to go across the galaxy, slaughtering the people who don't see him as a messiah. The repercussions of this won't be visible until Messiah, but we can at least see him give the order and witness the effect it has on the people around him (the Fremen, mad with faith and bloodlust, go eagerly along while those who have known Paul for longer are shocked by his sudden disregard for human life).

Circling back around to this since the movie is out now. Looks like yall hit the nail on the head!
It does raise some interesting questions about the third movie:
Chani literally splitting off from Paul as he goes off and leads his holy war means I'm guessing a big part of Part Three will be their reuniting after the time jump and Paul trying to make amends. The assassination/ghola stuff could just be the backdrop plot-mover.
It would certainly add to the tragedy of it all if they make amends shortly before the stoneburner event.

Considering that Paul, in Part Two, has that vision of Chani getting hit by nuclear radiation, I'm guessing Chani dies in the stoneburner rather than in childbirth, and that Leto II/Ghanima won't exist in this telling. Which would crush my hopes for a baton pass lol 😭

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
So what do people think of the movie in the context of the books? I think it's great, but I see in the subreddit that some aren't happy. lol

NateDog

"This guy are sick"
Jan 8, 2018
So what do people think of the movie in the context of the books? I think it's great, but I see in the subreddit that some aren't happy. lol
I struggled with P1 a bit because of this but came around to accepting that it's impossible to perfectly translate the book and enjoyed it for what it was. I really enjoyed this but do have trouble with a few things.

One is obviously the ending. I raised questions about Zendaya talking during the press tour of making Chani more vocal and strong-willed and said that while I got it, I was worried it would mean that her and Paul's love doesn't feel as intimate and genuine as it does (to me, at least) in the book(s) and that's basically what happened. I kind of felt as P2 progressed that if it was going to end as the book does that it wouldn't really work, because it felt like she was growing in opposition to him pretty much the entire time and honestly I didn't really buy their relationship at all anyway, it didn't feel deserved.

The big problem I have with going this way is that I feel it will complicate things in Messiah because to me that often very much felt like they were even closer, and it's about Irulan trying to get between them along with others making attempts on them, and Paul facing what will happen when Chani has Leto. It just feels like it could diverge quite a bit now.

There are other things that I'm sure I've forgotten, but the main other thing that I remember that I didn't love was Paul trying to speak to / speaking to Jamis. The different interactions with him in P1 were fine and made sense, but this didn't work for me at all. He's prescient, he can't talk to the dead.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I struggled with P1 a bit because of this but came around to accepting that it's impossible to perfectly translate the book and enjoyed it for what it was. I really enjoyed this but do have trouble with a few things.

One is obviously the ending. I raised questions about Zendaya talking during the press tour of making Chani more vocal and strong-willed and said that while I got it, I was worried it would mean that her and Paul's love doesn't feel as intimate and genuine as it does (to me, at least) in the book(s) and that's basically what happened. I kind of felt as P2 progressed that if it was going to end as the book does that it wouldn't really work, because it felt like she was growing in opposition to him pretty much the entire time and honestly I didn't really buy their relationship at all anyway, it didn't feel deserved.

The big problem I have with going this way is that I feel it will complicate things in Messiah because to me that often very much felt like they were even closer, and it's about Irulan trying to get between them along with others making attempts on them, and Paul facing what will happen when Chani has Leto. It just feels like it could diverge quite a bit now.

There are other things that I'm sure I've forgotten, but the main other thing that I remember that I didn't love was Paul trying to speak to / speaking to Jamis. The different interactions with him in P1 were fine and made sense, but this didn't work for me at all. He's prescient, he can't talk to the dead.
It's interesting, I'm having a similar discussion about this very point on the subreddit.

I can see how the changes to Chani may not work for people, but for me it fits thematically with what the film feeling more explicit with the horror of what Paul will become. I'm going to assume they're not going to have Paul compare himself to Hitler in Messiah, but it feels like it's taking some of those ideas and backporting them to Dune.

I think about the "happy endings" that the 84 and the SciFi movie gave, where the two of them are loveydovey and it's pointed out that Irulan is just a political marriage and this is definitely a swing in the other direction. Maybe it's too far though, so I can appreciate that.

As for the relationship developing itself, I agree. Like I understood what they were doing, trying to compare her love for Paul against the devotion that Stilgar and the other Fremen eventually have for him. Which is why that War Council scene was so great for me, because of Chani's disgust with it all. But I also don't get the idea that they're really in love with each other either, other than the times they force it upon the audience by being explicit about it.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020

Honestly, I think if giving Chani, the main female lead, be strong-willed causes problems for Dune Messiah, that's a reflection on how poorly she is written in the novel and is something to be corrected, not adhered too. Book Chani is about as interesting as soggy paper. She has little agency and mostly exists to soothe Paul and give him children. Dune wants to be an anticolonalist narrative but having your main female character basically be knowingly cool with the colonizer created to manipulating your people really undermines the whole thing. Book Chani doesn't make sense as a character and she doesn't make sense with what Dune wanted to do and she's certainly not palatable to a modern audience. Denis made the right call 100%

EDIT: Furthermore, Dune is a book with an omniscient narrator and we are in the heads of so many characters and yet... never Chani. We never get an idea of what she thinks or how she sees the world. Everything about her is observed by others.

Last edited:

NateDog

"This guy are sick"
Jan 8, 2018
Honestly, I think if giving Chani, the main female lead, be strong-willed causes problems for Dune Messiah, that's a reflection on how poorly she is written in the novel and is something to be corrected, not adhered too. Book Chani is about as interesting as soggy paper. She has little agency and mostly exists to soothe Paul and give him children. Dune wants to be an anticolonalist narrative but having your main female character basically be knowingly cool with the colonizer created to manipulating your people really undermines the whole thing. Book Chani doesn't make sense as a character and she doesn't make sense with what Dune wanted to do and she's certainly not palatable to a modern audience. Denis made the right call 100%
I don't disagree, but I still think the relationship between her and Paul could have been done a lot better. Jessica was strong-willed (clearly given her manipulations) and displayed it but still managed to do that despite only being Leto's concubine. Chani not standing out on her own much in the book may be true but I still felt like their love was real, and in such a painful world it felt like one small bit of genuine hope. You could also argue that movie Chani was initially actually worse than book Chani given how easily she seems to accept and fall for Paul despite seemingly being more at odds with Stilgar than in the book.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I don't disagree, but I still think the relationship between her and Paul could have been done a lot better. Jessica was strong-willed (clearly given her manipulations) and displayed itbut still managed to do that despite only being Leto's concubine. Chani not standing out on her own much in the book may be true but I still felt like their love was real, and in such a painful world it felt like one small bit of genuine hope. You could also argue that movie Chani was initially actually worse than book Chani given how easily she seems to accept and fall for Paul despite seemingly being more at odds with Stilgar than in the book.
Their love feels "real" because that's all Chani exists to do. She's the native girl who falls in love with the colonizer. Her love for Paul is like her entire character. She's vapid and empty, she doesn't think or want anything. I get that it's feel good for them to stay in love but, it's part of the reason people see Paul as a hero. He has cool powers, he becomes Emperor, he gets the girl (two of them).Chani blindly loving Paul does not work with an anti-colonalist message nor the message that Paul is dark figure and a cautionary tale.

Also Movie Chani worse? Seems hard to believe. She rejected the prophecy and for a long time Paul did too. That's why she fell in love with hi and promises to keep loving him if he "stays who he is". Paul decides to abandon being the person that Chani loved when he goes down the path of deciding to embrace being the Messiah and she rejects that person.

NateDog

"This guy are sick"
Jan 8, 2018
Their love feels "real" because that's all Chani exists to do. She's the native girl who falls in love with the colonizer. Her love for Paul is like her entire character. She's vapid and empty, she doesn't think or want anything. I get that it's feel good for them to stay in love but, it's part of the reason people see Paul as a hero. He has cool powers, he becomes Emperor, he gets the girl (two of them).Chani blindly loving Paul does not work with an anti-colonalist message nor the message that Paul is dark figure and a cautionary tale.

Also Movie Chani worse? Seems hard to believe. She rejected the prophecy and for a long time Paul did too. That's why she fell in love with hi and promises to keep loving him if he "stays who he is". Paul decides to abandon being the person that Chani loved when he goes down the path of deciding to embrace being the Messiah and she rejects that person.
I don't think Chani's love for Paul contradicts the cautionary tale about "heroes" or prophesies because she is part of the reason why he struggles to / refuses to go down the golden path. Without her it feels like he may just become a one-note villain. Whether we like it or not, his (and Chani's) awkward relationship and interactions with Irulan is a big part of Messiah.

I'm not saying movie Chani is worse but her relationship with Paul from its beginnings up until the point where she begins to see what is happening with the "prophecy" isn't exactly anything better than the book. Paul claims he isn't the Mahdi to her and some others but has already used it for his own gain by that point. After the water of life he definitely undergoes a deeper change but his manipulation had begun long before that.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I was a little disappointed in the second part ealier, but I think it's only because I missed the things it didn't cover. Now I'm sat at home thinking about the two films as their own thing, separate from the book... I think it's a lot better than I initially gave it credit for. I'll give it some time, and when the second film gets a home release will watch both back to back and try and appreciate them as a standalone thing.

Also going to re-read the books in the meantime.

NateDog

"This guy are sick"
Jan 8, 2018

Actually rethinking this there is something very funny in a meta sense about this in that a lot of people (myself included) were laughing at the fact that newbies to the series thought Irulan was going to be Paul's love interest. Anyone familiar with the books would have been thinking that it was of course going to be Chani, now the joke is on us! Maybe part of this is merely going to be trying to give Irulan a bigger part in Messiah than what we expect.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I don't think Chani's love for Paul contradicts the cautionary tale about "heroes" or prophesies because she is part of the reason why he struggles to / refuses to go down the golden path. Without her it feels like he may just become a one-note villain. Whether we like it or not, his (and Chani's) awkward relationship and interactions with Irulan is a big part of Messiah.

I'm not saying movie Chani is worse but her relationship with Paul from its beginnings up until the point where she begins to see what is happening with the "prophecy" isn't exactly anything better than the book. Paul claims he isn't the Mahdi to her and some others but has already used it for his own gain by that point. After the water of life he definitely undergoes a deeper change but his manipulation had begun long before that.
I mean Dune Messiah exists because Hebert felt like people didn't understand Dune as a cautionary tale, right? And I think Chani is part of the reason for that. At the end of Dune, Paul suffers very little personal consequences and ends with a political marriage while maintaining his love interest. And Chani, lacking any real view into her mind, the perfect supportive, bordering on subservient, girlfriend that a lot of people who don't want to engage with Dune's themes desire. I think Denis was right to use Chani as a way to show that Paul isn't a guy to emulate and his decisions have both personal and universal cost.

I do stand by my statement that the way she is written undermines the anti-colonialist message though and the movie absolutely fixes this.

I don't think Dune Messiah is going to totally deviate, but I think they might make it a three way conflict instead of a 1+1 vs 1. Which could be interesting! Like it would be nice to see Irulan and Chani have conflict where Chani gets a perspective. Like I said, even the way Chani dies feels really outdated modern times. I think they could make it better.

NateDog

"This guy are sick"
Jan 8, 2018
I mean Dune Messiah exists because Hebert felt like people didn't understand Dune as a cautionary tale, right? And I think Chani is part of the reason for that. At the end of Dune, Paul suffers very little personal consequences and ends with a political marriage while maintaining his love interest. And Chani, lacking any real view into her mind, the perfect supportive, bordering on subservient, girlfriend that a lot of people who don't want to engage with Dune's themes desire. I think Denis was right to use Chani as a way to show that Paul isn't a guy to emulate and his decisions have both personal and universal cost.

I do stand by my statement that the way she is written undermines the anti-colonialist message though and the movie absolutely fixes this.

I don't think Dune Messiah is going to totally deviate, but I think they might make it a three way conflict instead of a 1+1 vs 1. Which could be interesting! Like it would be nice to see Irulan and Chani have conflict where Chani gets a perspective. Like I said, even the way Chani dies feels really outdated modern times. I think they could make it better.
I feel like I remember Messiah well enough but I need to reread it as I can't remember the finer details of the end bit you mention. My partner got me a gorgeous copy of it from Folio but I wanted to wait until after P2 to get into it again. I do agree though that it could make for an interesting dynamic between them.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I feel like I remember Messiah well enough but I need to reread it as I can't remember the finer details of the end bit you mention. My partner got me a gorgeous copy of it from Folio but I wanted to wait until after P2 to get into it again. I do agree though that it could make for an interesting dynamic between them.
Damn, your partner has great taste, that's a keeper. That Folio copy has been tempting me for so long. Despite my criticisms of it and Dune as a whole, I connected with parts of Dune Messiah and Herbert's writing there more than any other part of the books. I think there's so much there and so much that can still come from it thematically even with some dramatic story shifts.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a while since I read the book and I didn't rewatch the first movie, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Movie spoilers for Dune Part Two ahead.

On the Fremen and Stilgar:
I think the portrayal of the Fremen in general is a big disappointment.
In the books, they work in secret on this enormous terraforming project. I don't think any such thing was mentioned in the movie (beyond the dream of a green paradise).
A minor tidbit is that they also deal with Spice and pay off the guild to keep their secrets, whereas in the movie the South is simply covered in storms. Certainly no one seemed to be working on terraforming.
Without the terraforming plan, which plays into the other books, they lose a core aspect of their agency.

I'm also really not a fan on how their faith and progression towards religious fanatism is portrayed. Part of that is how much Villeneuve compressed the timeline.
That is exacerbated by the portrayal of Stilgar, who early on is even part of a "He is not the messiah" sketch from Life of Brian.
It is hard for me to reconcile the experienced, skilled, stoic leader from the books with a guy whose often religious remarks ("Lisan al-Gaib!") are played so much for laughter.
I think a more nuanced depiction of Stilgar and his progression into a follower would have done wonders for me.
I would have to rewatch the previous movie and read the book again, but his early scene with Lady Jessica, where he essentially forces her to become a Reverend Mother, also felt out of character.

There is probably a lot of other stuff one could dislike or criticize, e.g. I have seen people complain about the casting or the language, but I don't think I'm the right person for that.

On Lady Jessica:
The Lady Jessica we get in the movie feels very different from the books. I would even say she feels different from the previous movie.
Here she (also due to the unborn Alia I guess) pushes Paul towards becoming the Kwisatz Haderach and spreads the prophecy among the Fremen, pretty much the opposite of her role in the books.
I can't say I liked her depiction.

On Alia:
I don't mind her "omission", but her scene in the books, where she is brought before the Emperor, is one of my favorite ones, so that was a bit unfortunate.
I doubt we will ever get Children of Dune and who knows what Villeneuve will do with her in Messiah, so I can't be too mad.
Personally I don't think having a little kid with the mind of an adult is worse than the talking fetus shots we get, but whatever.

On Thufir Hawat:
I love the character, but this is a reasonable cut, especially since there was no "Who is the traitor?" subplot in the first movie.

On Leto I:
I understand why they cut this subplot. I don't really mind.

On Chani:
Maybe the only change I really liked.

I think her role would have worked even better if the faith of the Fremen was depicted in a more nuanced and serious manner.
Either way, I genuinely appreciate that he tried to give this character more space and complexity. Not every scene/moment worked, but it's a refreshing take on the character for me. Makes me excited to see where they take the character in Dune Messiah.

On the Emperor:
I did feel that the Emperor is a bit more of a tragic figure in the first book, but I don't recall how much of that was actually in the first book and how much were notes in the other books from Irulan.
A bit of a wasted opportunity, maybe.

Other stuff:
I didn't like that we learn that Reverend Mother Mohiam is behind the downfall of the Atreides. I don't want to say it doesn't make sense, since they try to provide an explanation, but it still seemed unreasonable to me.

I don't think anyone really misses Count Fenring.

Felt a bit weird that the Emperor simply showed up without thinking to inform the great houses.

Another minor thing, but I didn't really like the whole "The Harkonnen strike back" thing that they used to highlight their (imminent) threat, build up Feyd and push Paul towards the Water of Life.

There's a scene where Gurney leads them to the Atreides atomics. That felt like something you could have cut.

Last edited:

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I was thinking considering how part 2 dealt a lot with the love story between Paul and Chani and compared it to the viciousness of all the factions in the imperium that perhaps they could use one of the later novels major themes, specifically Heretics of Dune.

I had always thought that Florence Pugh would make a great Odrade and with that there is an opportunity to meld these two series together. As Irulan, who we've come to know as a shrewd observer and historian in the movie, she could take on a similar role to Odrade in Messiah. To follow up on the love story angle of Part 2, we can watch as Irulan notices the failings of the BG in that they lost a part of their humanity that she still can see in the love between Paul and Chani. Irulan also knows about all the BG plotting so as the astute observer she can bring about what I took to be the core theme of Heretics in that the BG failed in believing that love was such a great weakness to have, and that in their clinical view of everything they lost the ability to make decisions with the best interests of humanity in mind, contrary to what their prime directive is supposed to be. And this would mesh well with what the movies have shown us about the BG with them being portrayed as rather villainous as well as the juxtaposition of the Atreides family being virtuous vs. seemingly every other great house (maybe just Harkonnen and Corrino), like when the Emperor described Leto as weak because he ruled with his heart.

Irulan living with Paul and being privy to both the private life of Paul and Chani as well as the scheming of the BG would allow Messiah to end in bittersweet tragedy all the same but perhaps with a hopeful touch of the importance of love going forward. It could end with Paul retreating into the desert and Irulan scribing the future character of the BG.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

Irulan living with Paul and being privy to both the private life of Paul and Chani as well as the scheming of the BG would allow Messiah to end in bittersweet tragedy all the same but perhaps with a hopeful touch of the importance of love going forward. It could end with Paul retreating into the desert and Irulan scribing the future character of the BG.
I will say, this led me to look up stuff in Messiah and I discovered that BH/KJA wrote a prequel book called Princess of Dune about Irulan and Chani. lol

Back to the movie though, I think they have an opportunity to do some interesting things in Messiah though, especially with how it ends and all the potential time in between Dune and Messiah.

NateDog

"This guy are sick"
Jan 8, 2018
Damn, your partner has great taste, that's a keeper. That Folio copy has been tempting me for so long. Despite my criticisms of it and Dune as a whole, I connected with parts of Dune Messiah and Herbert's writing there more than any other part of the books. I think there's so much there and so much that can still come from it thematically even with some dramatic story shifts.
Yeah I'm very lucky! She knows I love everything Dune but that surprised me hugely at Christmas. Problem is it's so nice I don't want to leave the house with it and that's where I do most of my reading.

It's been a while since I read the book and I didn't rewatch the first movie, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Movie spoilers for Dune Part Two ahead.

On the Fremen and Stilgar:
I think the portrayal of the Fremen in general is a big disappointment.
In the books, they work in secret on this enormous terraforming project. I don't think any such thing was mentioned in the movie (beyond the dream of a green paradise).
A minor tidbit is that they also deal with Spice and pay off the guild to keep their secrets, whereas in the movie the South is simply covered in storms. Certainly no one seemed to be working on terraforming.
Without the terraforming plan, which plays into the other books, they lose a core aspect of their agency.

I'm also really not a fan on how their faith and progression towards religious fanatism is portrayed. Part of that is how much Villeneuve compressed the timeline.
That is exacerbated by the portrayal of Stilgar, who early on is even part of a "He is not the messiah" sketch from Life of Brian.
It is hard for me to reconcile the experienced, skilled, stoic leader from the books with a guy whose often religious remarks ("Lisan al-Gaib!") are played so much for laughter.
I think a more nuanced depiction of Stilgar and his progression into a follower would have done wonders for me.
I would have to rewatch the previous movie and read the book again, but his early scene with Lady Jessica, where he essentially forces her to become a Reverend Mother, also felt out of character.

There is probably a lot of other stuff one could dislike or criticize, e.g. I have seen people complain about the casting or the language, but I don't think I'm the right person for that.

On Lady Jessica:
The Lady Jessica we get in the movie feels very different from the books. I would even say she feels different from the previous movie.
Here she (also due to the unborn Alia I guess) pushes Paul towards becoming the Kwisatz Haderach and spreads the prophecy among the Fremen, pretty much the opposite of her role in the books.
I can't say I liked her depiction.

On Alia:
I don't mind her "omission", but her scene in the books, where she is brought before the Emperor, is one of my favorite ones, so that was a bit unfortunate.
I doubt we will ever get Children of Dune and who knows what Villeneuve will do with her in Messiah, so I can't be too mad.
Personally I don't think having a little kid with the mind of an adult is worse than the talking fetus shots we get, but whatever.

On Thufir Hawat:
I love the character, but this is a reasonable cut, especially since there was no "Who is the traitor?" subplot in the first movie.

On Leto I:
I understand why they cut this subplot. I don't really mind.

On Chani:
Maybe the only change I really liked.

I think her role would have worked even better if the faith of the Fremen was depicted in a more nuanced and serious manner.
Either way, I genuinely appreciate that he tried to give this character more space and complexity. Not every scene/moment worked, but it's a refreshing take on the character for me. Makes me excited to see where they take the character in Dune Messiah.

On the Emperor:
I did feel that the Emperor is a bit more of a tragic figure in the first book, but I don't recall how much of that was actually in the first book and how much were notes in the other books from Irulan.
A bit of a wasted opportunity, maybe.

Other stuff:
I didn't like that we learn that Reverend Mother Mohiam is behind the downfall of the Atreides. I don't want to say it doesn't make sense, since they try to provide an explanation, but it still seemed unreasonable to me.

I don't think anyone really misses Count Fenring.

Felt a bit weird that the Emperor simply showed up without thinking to inform the great houses.

Another minor thing, but I didn't really like the whole "The Harkonnen strike back" thing that they used to highlight their (imminent) threat, build up Feyd and push Paul towards the Water of Life.

There's a scene where Gurney leads them to the Atreides atomics. That felt like something you could have cut.
Regarding the terraforming, it is mentioned but I think only very briefly between the two parts, the biggest point probably being when Paul, Jessica and Duncan are brought to the ecology station by Kynes and you see what they've been working on and managing to grow there, but it isn't directly spoken about IIRC, we just see a shot of Paul looking deeply at it. It is a shame but it's just one of a few things that unfortunately have been left out due to convenience I guess (if you go deep into that then you need to give a lot more time to Kynes and her work and hopes for the planet, then maybe even go into the detail of her being Chani's parent). There is a mention of the watercatchers by Chani to Paul too.

I think I read that scenes with Thufir were shot but were cut. Agree that it doesn't make much sense here (although perhaps they could have used it as we did still have had the scene about the Baron trying to kill Feyd given Feyd tried the reverse in the book with Thufir having input in those).

Stilgar did annoy me a bit, he can be one-note like Chani in the books but I still like him for that, because he's always behind Paul even in Messiah. Here he feels like purely a comedic entity (although I did actually find that was done well at least). I guess part of it is that he was there to show how much fanaticism can affect a people or person and the impact it can have, but similarly I did feel like the rest of Fremen did that job.

I actually really wanted to see Fenring, small role but I love how threatening he is. He acts like a fool in public but is as manipulative as Lady Fenring. Would have loved to see someone like Jeff Goldblum as him.

Mirado

Jul 7, 2020

I didn't interpret this as him speaking to Jamis directly as in him having an active conversation with the dead, but rather him using his ability to see multiple futures/timelines as a way to both get more information/advice as well as live vicariously through other versions of himself. In a different time, he's buds with Jamis and learns the ways of the desert from his "good friend". If things had gone differently, he'd be having that talk with him, so he's essentially seeing the "what if".

I also took it to be an extension of Paul trying to avoid becoming the Lisan al Gaib. With most of the people around him pushing him towards his role as the messiah, he literally starts searching alternate timelines for advice on what to do, and it's only in the moment where even in a different possible future, a person that he trusts tells him (to paraphrase as I forget the exact line) that he needs to be able to see farther to make the best decisions, that he finally gives in and agrees to head south.

It's different from the books for sure, but I liked it a lot.

NateDog

"This guy are sick"
Jan 8, 2018
I didn't interpret this as him speaking to Jamis directly as in him having an active conversation with the dead, but rather him using his ability to see multiple futures/timelines as a way to both get more information/advice as well as live vicariously through other versions of himself. In a different time, he's buds with Jamis and learns the ways of the desert from his "good friend". If things had gone differently, he'd be having that talk with him, so he's essentially seeing the "what if".

I also took it to be an extension of Paul trying to avoid becoming the Lisan al Gaib. With most of the people around him pushing him towards his role as the messiah, he literally starts searching alternate timelines for advice on what to do, and it's only in the moment where even in a different possible future, a person that he trusts tells him (to paraphrase as I forget the exact line) that he needs to be able to see farther to make the best decisions, that he finally gives in and agrees to head south.

It's different from the books for sure, but I liked it a lot.
In Part One it's perfect, him seeing times where Jamis is speaking to him and advising him as a friend, because it's a potential future path that he sees a fragment of. But this isn't a possible path in Part Two, he's long dead by that point. At one point I was sure I thought he said something like "come on Jamis, talk to me" like he's seeking his assistance.

Even later on when he confronts the crowd at the meeting of leaders he talks to someone telling them what they're currently thinking and feeling and what way their thoughts change. That's not prescience either, that's mind-reading. (Unless I need to rewatch that scene and mis-read it as I just remembered it.)

I don't mind changes as I've accepted it's simply an adaptation and Denis is doing his own thing in a lot of ways but this feels like it's delving into Paul having very different abilities.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Dune: Spice Wars - Introducing: Heroes of Dune - Steam News

Heroes The main purpose of Heroes of Dune is to introduce even more of the Dune universe into the game. We already had a healthy amount of Dune characters in the game (31 characters in total), but they were only present in interfaces. Heroes of Dune will bring some of them in flesh onto the map...

All heroes have been redesigned compared to the version currently in conquest. They are designed to have a significant impact on the military orientation of the faction. They all have a global effect, several more localized effects, and an active skill. They are more complex units than the other units in the game.
All heroes were previously councillors. Heroes and councillors are now distinct entities, which means that each faction has "lost" two councillors. To compensate, we will add two councillors to each faction (for a total of 50 named characters from the Dune universe in the game, including the DLC House Vernius of Ix).

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
In Part One it's perfect, him seeing times where Jamis is speaking to him and advising him as a friend, because it's a potential future path that he sees a fragment of. But this isn't a possible path in Part Two, he's long dead by that point. At one point I was sure I thought he said something like "come on Jamis, talk to me" like he's seeking his assistance.

Even later on when he confronts the crowd at the meeting of leaders he talks to someone telling them what they're currently thinking and feeling and what way their thoughts change. That's not prescience either, that's mind-reading. (Unless I need to rewatch that scene and mis-read it as I just remembered it.)

I don't mind changes as I've accepted it's simply an adaptation and Denis is doing his own thing in a lot of ways but this feels like it's delving into Paul having very different abilities.
I didn't think prescience was really well explored. We get to see really minimal and it isn't explained either. A lot was cut to make this adaptation, there was a narrow way, if you will. Villeneuve still managed to hit the main themes but much of the greater detail was lost in favour of the emotional stakes which was done well. I think it's interesting that such a dry novel and writing by Frank could be a source for a nicely human story. He found the desert spring! :D :D :D

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
variety.com

Box Office: ‘Dune: Part Two’ Rides to Impressive $32 Million Opening Day

Denis Villeneuve's 'Dune: Part Two' will launch to the biggest box office opening of 2024.

The question now is how high can "Dune" go. Heading into the weekend, industry projections for the Denis Villeneuve-directed feature had ballparked an opening between $70 million and $80 million, a range that the film has a good shot of going north of. A significant percentage of ticket sales are expected to come from formats like Imax and Dolby, as there is a serious consumer appeal to seeing "Dune" in a premium large-format auditorium. Those increased ticket prices help boost grosses, but the limited amount of screenings may also lead to some viewers delaying their outing to theaters so that they can land the right seat in front of a gigantic screen. That may curb viewership now, but could lead to some strong holds for "Dune" down the line. And it'll need it, considering its $190 million production budget.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
LoTR had Alan Lee and John Howe and their sketchbooks. Is there anyone with similar art books for Dune?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
LoTR had Alan Lee and John Howe and their sketchbooks. Is there anyone with similar art books for Dune?
There's The Art and Soul of Dune, which is full of both concept and final artwork for the film. I don't know if that's what you're looking for or not. I have a copy, but I haven't flipped through it in a while. Makes a good coffee-table book.

Two more hours to showtime!

Window

Oct 27, 2017
There's The Art and Soul of Dune, which is full of both concept and final artwork for the film. I don't know if that's what you're looking for or not. I have a copy, but I haven't flipped through it in a while. Makes a good coffee-table book.

Two more hours to showtime!
Yes was aware of that one but was looking for something more closely covering the books than the films. I see there's a part 2 for the sequel as well.

I rewatched Lynch's Dune last night. That movie is bad at storytelling, but good at being memorable. There's some value in seeing something so aggressively weird onscreen, even if there's a laundry list of ways it doesn't work as a Dune adaptation.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
The first Dune: Awakening Direct is happening in 3.5 hours from this post.

View: https://x.com/duneawakening/status/1764652618389803401?s=46&t=Z9DqSWZr7M0RkGt-vUPHLQ

And 'Sisterhood of Dune' that the HBO show is based on is getting a re-release later this year with a new cover:

View: https://x.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1764675807274750246?s=20

I didn't realize Prophecy is based on one of the KJA/Brian Herbert books. I was already a little skeptical of the show. This… is making me feel even worse about it.

NateDog

"This guy are sick"
Jan 8, 2018
I rewatched Lynch's Dune last night. That movie is bad at storytelling, but good at being memorable. There's some value in seeing something so aggressively weird onscreen, even if there's a laundry list of ways it doesn't work as a Dune adaptation.
It's also incredibly memeable. Really need to sit down and watch it with my partner, I've told her how terrible it is but I really need to see her reaction.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I think what I'll do is wait until Part II comes out on UHD, then spend a whole week at it. The Lynch film, three nights to watch the Sci-Fi miniseries, then two nights watching Villenueve's films. Spice overload!

Horns

Dec 7, 2018

I saw it this weekend before seeing Dune 2. The story telling of 1984 Dune was horrendous. It skips over so many things and doesn't explain them. My other thought was I could only find one cast member who wasn't white in the 1984 version. Insane how Hollywood used to be.

NateDog

"This guy are sick"
Jan 8, 2018
I saw it this weekend before seeing Dune 2. The story telling of 1984 Dune was horrendous. It skips over so many things and doesn't explain them. My other thought was I could only find one cast member who wasn't white in the 1984 version. Insane how Hollywood used to be.
Don't forget the Harkonnens milking cats, the weirding module and the rain at the end. Genuinely so bad you can at least laugh at it.

Dune: Awakening Direct #1
OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
The Direct has ended, here's all the videos:

View: https://youtu.be/cR9qiRGxaN4?si=S8K4r8YEEmuMbCTh

View: https://youtu.be/LW6ou6mugAA?si=ZBS8RfiUUjLc3GU0

View: https://youtu.be/1S-l7NySFsI?si=yfNJ9pCkF6FHmCa5

And a great article with more details. One of which is that a a failed Kwisatz Haderach is one of the villains of the story.

www.pcgamer.com

I don't usually play survival games or MMOs, but almost everything about Dune: Awakening looks way cooler than I expected

Funcom's long gestating survival game is pulling from Dune lore in all sorts of clever ways.

www.pcgamer.com

Dune: Awakening devs had to get permission from the Herberts to change a tiny piece of Dune lore so players wouldn't constantly nuke each other

Awakening's creative director explains solving the prickly lore problem of what happens when a Dune laser hits a Dune shield.

www.eurogamer.net

Dune: Awakening devs explain "alt history" approach to Conan: Exiles' vast, intricate follow-up

Eurogamer's preview of Dune: Awakening, and interview with the survival MMO's creative director, Joel Bylos.

Last edited:

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The movie's biggest problem is that it's constantly explaining everything and has no space for actual storytelling.

Which is why I understand and am grateful Dennis glossed over/flat out skipped so many things even with two movies. It made for a very tight story. Its pretty much impossible to fully adapt Dune unless you make it a full series.