• Darwi Odrade

Votes: 10 1.1%
  • Miles Teg

Votes: 16 1.8%
  • Other (specify in thread and why)

Votes: 47 5.3%

• Total voters
Oct 26, 2017
Just finished reading the Audible book of the first book.

Feyd in the trailer captures the total vibe I imagined from the book. Looking forward to seeing his performance.

Has anyone listened to the audiobooks of the other Dune books? The first book had kinda wonky narration. It would go back and forth between using an ensemble cast and then a single narrator for all the characters, sometimes in the middle of a chapter! It made the beginning of the book hard to follow until I understood what was going on.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished reading the Audible book of the first book.

Feyd in the trailer captures the total vibe I imagined from the book. Looking forward to seeing his performance.

Has anyone listened to the audiobooks of the other Dune books? The first book had kinda wonky narration. It would go back and forth between using an ensemble cast and then a single narrator for all the characters, sometimes in the middle of a chapter! It made the beginning of the book hard to follow until I understood what was going on.
The second audio book does the same with all the same actors, but by the third book it is 100% the single narrator. And Its the same narrator from the first two, who i think is excellent. I honestly wish i could get the first two books with just that narrator. His voice range is great and i associate the characters with his particular voices more than the actual cast voices. I agree the back and forth was annoying.

Last edited:

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
"All my visions lead to horror."
"Because you lose control."
"Because I gain it."

Still looks so good. Paul screaming "Long live the fighters!" is my everything.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't unsee Chani in mega man armor (:
latest

Olivia Williams and Jodhi May Joins Dune: The Sisterhood; Anna Foerster to Direct
OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

‘Dune: The Sisterhood’: Olivia Williams & Jodhi May Join Max Series In Recastings As Anna Foerster Boards As New Director

‘Dune: The Sisterhood’: Olivia Williams & Jodhi May Join Max Series In Recastings As Anna Foerster Boards As New Director

Williams is taking over the role of Tula Harkonnen following Shirley Henderson's exit in February. May is being recast in the role of Natalya as Indira Varma steps down due to a scheduling conflict, Deadline hears.

Additionally, Anna Foerster (Lou) will direct multiple episodes including the premiere. Foerster is taking over duties following Johan Renck's exit which Deadline announced exclusively earlier this year.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at least glad there's still commitment to Dune in the TV space.
I hope the book series can continue in TV format if the films don't go any further (I know he wants to do Messiah but I'm keeping my hopes low). Characters would have aged enough by Messiah and/or Children of Dune that it makes sense to just recast everyone anyways.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
So, around last month, I started collecting Dune merchandise. I bought all the action figures, some bookmarks, some new book editions and a Crysknife replica weapon. I'm happy with it all but quickly figured it'll be too expensive a hobby for me to invest in, since a bunch of new and expensive merchandise is coming out around the release of the second movie into next year. So I've stopped collecting as quickly as I started. I do love my Paul Atreides action figure though, he proudly does pushups at the window while the Baron floats in the air - took me an hour to mount the stick in his hole - and the Beast Rabban amusingly looks on. Yes I have the Encyclopedia too, and I curiously bought Hunters and Sandworms of Dune, of the first I've started. I'm actually quite digging Dune 7 although it has the odd retcon here and there, much of it has also made sense. But I'm not even halfway through so I'll see how I feel when I'm done. If I end up liking them I plan to check out Brian's comic book adaptations as well. Although none of his work will ever be canon to my Dune, I'll peek out of curiosity.

img_28995qiie.jpeg

Today I also bought the Graphic Novel adapted from the book - not to be confused with the graphic novel based on the movie - and it's been so good. It has all the important scenes like the banquet, Jessica and Yueh's conversation, Margot's hidden message in the conservatory, Duncan drunk and a tiny mention of the Baron's plan to instill Piter as ruler of Arrakis, a little forgotten fact I had of the book. It's a quick and efficient way of re-experiencing the story, and I even found the art to be decent after getting used to it after thinking it was ugly. So I bought Book 2 of the graphic novel and will read that tonight.

Also, I'm watching the Dune: Part Two trailer 2 every single day. And just the other day I rewatched the spicediver fan edit of the 1984 Dune and really found myself enjoying it again. I appreciate it for fixing the stupid ending David Lynch did.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Pardon if this revives a long-dead discussion but I haven't been following development too closely...

Is there a chance that we get a Part 3 to cover Dune Messiah (assuming Part 2 concludes where the book does)?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pardon if this revives a long-dead discussion but I haven't been following development too closely...

Is there a chance that we get a Part 3 to cover Dune Messiah (assuming Part 2 concludes where the book does)?

That depends entirely on how well Part 2 does I think. Dennis already said he wants to do both Messiah and possibly also Children (which would need to be 2 parter like book 1)

krudd

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
London, UK
Just finished Children of Dune the other day. Really enjoyed it up until the last chapter. Has me less excited to jump into God Emperor of Dune.

On a side note, I know we'll never get films for the later books but damn wouldn't it be great just to see all the craziness.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone, I was wondering what yall think of the SciFi channel's "Children of Dune" series? Finished the book recently and I was considering giving it a go.

Just finished Children of Dune the other day. Really enjoyed it up until the last chapter. Has me less excited to jump into God Emperor of Dune.

On a side note, I know we'll never get films for the later books but damn wouldn't it be great just to see all the craziness.
I'm curious what you didn't like about the last chapter?
It was Leto II spinning Alia around in the air like a Tom & Jerry cartoon wasn't it

ceej

Mar 9, 2021
Reno, Nv.

Have you seen the great (well, it was great in my youth and it has a young Ewen McGregor edit: James McAvoy in it) scifi miniseries?

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX2TZfBc284
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJL3Ew8Ctm8
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb3g6z1EGKc

Last edited:

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it well enough. It's still somewhat limited in scope, but it holds up better than the first miniseries, since it treats itself like an actual TV series instead of a stage play.

ceej

Mar 9, 2021
Reno, Nv.
I think you're referring to James McAvoy ;)

edit: beaten by a few secs, lol
lmao! I do! hahahaha

Hey everyone, I was wondering what yall think of the SciFi channel's "Children of Dune" series? Finished the book recently and I was considering giving it a go.

It was Leto II spinning Alia around in the air like a Tom & Jerry cartoon wasn't it
like I mentioned in my other post I really liked them--but they were my first introduction to Dune when I was in elementary school (4-5th grade I'm assuming, we had my mother's brother's family other and would play cards and watch this or monk for many years). I read the book in HS, and then again after college about 7 years ago. I rewatched the first episode before the movie and still thought it held up--I haven't rewatched the Children of Dune series, however.

NateDog

"This guy are sick"
Jan 8, 2018
I liked it, McAvoy was great. I thought it felt more fleshed out than the Dune series (which to be fair had way too much to do). The damn hats in both though, hilarious every time.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it, McAvoy was great. I thought it felt more fleshed out than the Dune series (which to be fair had way too much to do). The damn hats in both though, hilarious every time.

I haven't watched this since I was in high school, but I remember being let down by the ::cough cough:: "stilsuit" at the end.

NateDog

"This guy are sick"
Jan 8, 2018
I haven't watched this since I was in high school, but I remember being let down by the ::cough cough:: "stilsuit" at the end.
I doubt we'll ever see an adaptation after Villeneuve is done with what seems to be all but confirmed to be a trilogy, although always the chance someone else takes up the job. Honestly I'm not entirely sure how I expect that would be done if we were to see a new Children movie/series, although I can't deny that there wasn't very much to what SyFy went with. I can't remember if it ended right at the beginning of that process or a bit later on but I guess they didn't want to go full Gumby.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt we'll ever see an adaptation after Villeneuve is done with what seems to be all but confirmed to be a trilogy, although always the chance someone else takes up the job. Honestly I'm not entirely sure how I expect that would be done if we were to see a new Children movie/series, although I can't deny that there wasn't very much to what SyFy went with. I can't remember if it ended right at the beginning of that process or a bit later on but I guess they didn't want to go full Gumby.

He had full on superpowers with only his arm covered.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
So are Brians books considered canon? He said he found notes in a closet but nobody thinks thats really what happened. Alt Shift X did a video and he made it seem like they ended at book 6.

Also how far do we think Viulleneuve will get into the books? I know he wants to do Dune Messiah but will the other 4 get adapted?

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm not entirely sure how I expect that would be done if we were to see a new Children movie/series,
I visualized it as
sort of like a slimmer Tom Hardy's venom, leaving the face exposed. That sort of dark slimey covering would work fine I imagine.

I also pictured it in a ghibli animated sort of form, like a tamed down version of the Princess Mononoke worm things.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
So are Brians books considered canon? He said he found notes in a closet but nobody thinks thats really what happened. Alt Shift X did a video and he made it seem like they ended at book 6.

Also how far do we think Viulleneuve will get into the books? I know he wants to do Dune Messiah but will the other 4 get adapted?

I'm sure Brian considers them canon.

Headcanon for me, they don't exist. Not a one.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Have you seen the great (well, it was great in my youth and it has a young Ewen McGregor edit: James McAvoy in it) scifi miniseries?

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX2TZfBc284
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJL3Ew8Ctm8
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb3g6z1EGKc

I hadn't watched these for many, many years, but this post inspired me to go back and rewatch at least the first episode (which retells the entirety of Dune Messiah, basically).

It still holds up. The low budget is easy enough to spot, and the CGI is pretty much exactly how cutscenes looked on average PS3 games, but the actors and the story carry the thing well enough, and the soundtrack is outstanding. Brian Tyler was apparently forced to compose the whole thing in 3 weeks, and not only did it turn out great, but he even went so far as to have singers perform a song entirely in the Fremen language (I'm not sure how official that version of the language is since then, but still).

You can tell that the writers of this show were more prepared for the contents of Children of Dune (the novel) than Frank Herbert was when he wrote Dune Messiah. The show ties Dune Messiah and Children of Dune together in a noticeably stronger way than the books do.

Also, I always felt like there was a kind of otherworldly beauty to Julie Cox's Irulan. She looks stunning in this show, IMO.

krudd

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
London, UK

It was once Leto II fought Alia and then was just all high and mighty with Farad'n (and I felt like the reader)

I would have been happy if it just finished
after the fight with Alia

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
variety.com

‘Dune 2’ Eyes Push to 2024; Warner Bros. Considers New Dates for ‘Color Purple,’ ‘Aquaman 2’ (EXCLUSIVE)

Warner Bros. is strongly considering pushing the "Dune 2" release date to 2024, sources tell Variety.

The sequel to Denis Villeneuve's sci-fi epic "Dune" may be riding a sandworm all the way to 2024.

Amid two contentious Hollywood labor strikes, Warner Bros. Film Group is strongly considering pushing the Timothée Chalamet and Zendaya tentpole to next year, three individuals with knowledge of discussions told Variety. The film is a co-production with Legendary Entertainment and both parties must agree on a new release date, said one insider. Legendary has yet to be approached by WB about a move, they added. Another source familiar with Warner Bros. said that releases are moving forward as originally planned and no formal discussions have been had, but noted that the duration of the union battles are completely unpredictable.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The film's in the can, what the hell are they after? Do they really think press junkets and red carpets make all the difference to a movie's release?

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
why would children need two movies? there isnt that much action, is there? in my recollection at least its a lot of leto talking.

You only need to look to the miniseries to see the scope in practice. That series told the stories of both Dune Messiah and Children of Dune over 3 long episodes, with Messiah occupying the first episode and Children of Dune taking up the entirety of the remaining two.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
why would children need two movies? there isnt that much action, is there? in my recollection at least its a lot of leto talking.

Part 1: Climax with Laza Tigers, end on Stilgar taking Ghani and rebelling.
Part 2: Leto in the desert going through his ordeal before returning, meanwhile Alia attempts to deal with Fremen rebellion.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

‘Drive-Away Dolls’ Eyes September Exit; What’s Involved In Possible ‘Dune: Part Two’ Spring 2024 Move – The Dish

All major motion picture studios are assessing release-date changes the longer the SAG-AFTRA strike goes on.

I hear Legendary, which is in the pilot's seat here on the pic's fate, is in wait-and-see mode and has until September before Dune 2's next leg of marketing has to go.

If Dune: Part Two moves, where does it go? I hear there are three spring options, and you just have to look at the release calendar: March, April or a break in the summer connected to a possible Cannes Film Festival launch. Warners already has the following dates on hold in regards to where Dune: Part Two could go: March 15, where Legendary has its next Godzilla/King Kong movie; April 19, which they have on reserve for an event title; or June 21, an untitled open slot for the Burbank lot.

But again, if the AMPTP and SAG-AFTRA see eye-to-eye by Labor Day weekend, Dune: Part Two could stay exactly where it is on the calendar.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Some new stills from Dune: Part Two. I really like how Paul looks there in his stillsuit and scarf with the eyes of ibad.

View: https://twitter.com/sammonnews/status/1693528589055279395?s=46&t=Z9DqSWZr7M0RkGt-vUPHLQ

And in unrelated news. I finished up Hunters of Dune (Dune 7) and I actually quite liked it, so much that I'll read Sandworms of Dune before the end of the year, maybe in time for the movie release. I think the reason why I liked it has to do with the concept of the enemy having hidden in the unknown regions building an army for decades. I liked it in Star Wars too. I like that they've been infiltrating humanity by having Face Dancers disguise themselves as high ranking members and Handlers. I don't think I like that the enemy was the thinking machines all along but eh, I'll take what I can get.

Last edited: