Votes: 10 1.1%
  • Miles Teg

Votes: 16 1.8%
  • Other (specify in thread and why)

Votes: 47 5.3%

• Total voters

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god. I hope the showrunners reign the dumb stuff in as good as they can.
I haven't read the Sisterhood book but I did read the House trilogy that takes place directly before Dune and the books weren't good I thought that there's a decent story in there that could have been salvaged by better writing and editing and I'm pretty sure Kevin J. Anderson is responsible for the bad writing, hopefully the same is true for The Sisterhood.
Wouldn't be the first time a bad book is adapted into something greater.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
So excited for Part 2. Interested to see how the cast develops.

My main concern from Part 1 was how rushed it felt in the second half. The first half was like, perfection. Then in the second half... to me it felt like they looked up at the clock, saw it was the 11th hour already, so just did a speedrun to their planned finish line with Jamis.

That left me with a lot of concerns because I felt the House Attreides cast hadn't had enough screentime to feel memorable or important going forwards. It made me wish this was a trilogy, and that Part 1 had ended with the assassination of Leto.

But I fully accept that I'm just a massive fan of the book, and it's impossible for me to view the film outside of that lens. Maybe for viewers who hadn't read the book it all seemed excellent still, and there won't be any issues going forwards.

Nov 2, 2017
So excited for Part 2. Interested to see how the cast develops.

My main concern from Part 1 was how rushed it felt in the second half. The first half was like, perfection. Then in the second half... to me it felt like they looked up at the clock, saw it was the 11th hour already, so just did a speedrun to their planned finish line with Jamis.

That left me with a lot of concerns because I felt the House Attreides cast hadn't had enough screentime to feel memorable or important going forwards. It made me wish this was a trilogy, and that Part 1 had ended with the assassination of Leto.

But I fully accept that I'm just a massive fan of the book, and it's impossible for me to view the film outside of that lens. Maybe for viewers who hadn't read the book it all seemed excellent still, and there won't be any issues going forwards.
Yeah, a part of me it still a little bit sad that we didn't get this as like a, high budget HBO limited series or something. Would've loved more of the themes, factions, and social-political aspects of the books to get more breathing room. I know one of the general audience criticisms of Dune Part 1 is already that "nothing happens", but I think the positive reception to recent "slow burn" shows like Andor and House of Dragons shows that it could've worked when split up into hour-long chapters. Oh well, maybe the next remake in 20 years will try this!

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I only read the book once so maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but is there much action in Dune at all? I keep seeing Part II will have more action but I don't remember the back half of the book being any more action heavy than the first
The first Dune movie inserted a bunch of action scenes that didn't really exist in the book. It doesn't really matter what the book has or doesn't have action-wise, they're gonna be making it more bombastic for sure.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I only read the book once so maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but is there much action in Dune at all? I keep seeing Part II will have more action but I don't remember the back half of the book being any more action heavy than the first

not much of the big scale stuff; the book actually kinda "skips" most of the climatic battle; but im sure the movie will handle that differently.

The Sisterhood Adds Mark Strong and 2 others
OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
variety.com

‘Dune’ Prequel Series at HBO Max Adds Mark Strong, Jade Anouka, Chris Mason

The "Dune" prequel series at HBO Max has added Mark Strong, Jade Anouka, and Chris Mason to its cast.

Strong will star as Emperor Javicco Corrino, described as "a man from a great line of war-time Emperors, who is called upon to govern the Imperium and manage a fragile peace."

Anouka will play Sister Theodosia, said to be "a talented and ambitious acolyte at the Sisterhood who harbors a dangerous secret about her past."

Mason will appear as Keiran Atreides, described as "a Swordmaster to a Great House whose ambition to live up to his family name is disrupted when he forms an unexpected connection to a member of the royal family."

Dune: Part Two has wrapped filming

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/ClNEMASOLACE/status/1601124753343152129?t=NsxS9tx8PBaxS-qv0MqKew&s=19

funny-soon-memes.jpg

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Johan Renck and Shirley Henderson leaves Dune: The Sisterhood
OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

‘Dune: The Sisterhood’: Director Johan Renck & Star Shirley Henderson Exit HBO Max Series Amid Creative Overhaul & Production Hiatus

EXCLUSIVE: HBO Max’s Dune prequel TV series’ long journey to the screen is taking another turn. Dune: The Sisterhood (wt), which started production in late November, is undergoing a cre…

Chernobyl executive producer Johan Renck, who had signed on to direct the first two episodes, has exited the project. Search is underway for his replacement as production has been put on hold. Shirley Henderson, who had been tapped as one of the leads, also is leaving. Her role as Tula Harkonnen will be recast. That is in addition to creator Diane Ademu-John, who had written the pilot script, stepping down as co-showrunner in the run-up to production, with veteran TV writer-producer Alison Schapker becoming sole showrunner of the Legendary-produced series.

First Dune: Part Two footage shown off at Cinemacon
OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
So there's a Dune: Part Two panel going on at Cinemacon right now and they showed a teaser. Seems Feyd is confirmed to be bald.

View: https://twitter.com/andrewj626/status/1650937873124966400?s=46&t=Z9DqSWZr7M0RkGt-vUPHLQ

We also see Paul ride a sandworm and it's entirely practical. We also see Paul and Chani kiss. And a glimpse of Princess Irulan who'll "be vital to the chess game we see unfold."

View: https://twitter.com/thr/status/1650938848283598877?s=46&t=Z9DqSWZr7M0RkGt-vUPHLQ

View: https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1650939854455463936?s=46&t=Z9DqSWZr7M0RkGt-vUPHLQ

View: https://twitter.com/thewrap/status/1650939258155180053?s=46&t=Z9DqSWZr7M0RkGt-vUPHLQ

The movie is shot entirely in IMAX this time around. Where as the first movie was 40% IMAX.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Regret missing the first in theaters, will not make the same mistake if the second is 100% IMAX
The sound was amazing, but I just rewatched for first time literally two nights ago and it was so much better for visuals alone at home. Maybe just my theaters, but the dark scenes were too damn dark. The sandworm towards the end was nearly pure black for me. At home, I could see all the details of it. I think it convinced me I am done with theaters and their dim projectors they turn down to save a buck.

Last edited:

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
The sound was amazing, but I just rewatched for first time literally two nights ago and it was so much better for visuals alone at homd. Maybe just my theaters, but the dark scenes were too damn dark. The sandworm towards the end was nearly pure black for me. At home, I could see all the details of it. I think it convinced me I am done with theaters and their dim projectors they turn down to save a buck.
i RARELY go to the theater, but for a big (and visually crazy) movie like dune, i buy tickets to an amc dolby cinema showing. totally worth the extra money

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Only issue with that is that Imax cameras are so big and cumbersome, there's a lot of cool camera moves you can't do with them like you can with even a 35mm camera, much less a digital one.

Zerozerozero

Oct 11, 2022
Just watched that Happy Sad Confused clip with Austin Butler. It's HILARIOUS he's dancing around, trying not to spoil the details of a near 60 year old book.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Only issue with that is that Imax cameras are so big and cumbersome, there's a lot of cool camera moves you can't do with them like you can with even a 35mm camera, much less a digital one.
If it's shot like Dune 1, they aren't using real IMAX cameras.

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for this. I hate that I couldn't wait to just watch the trailer when it hits. Of course, I had to read the description of it.

Vanity Fair: First Look at Dune: Part Two
OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Paul and Chani love story is at the center of Dune: Part Two
OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/variety/status/1651600774789582848?s=46&t=Z9DqSWZr7M0RkGt-vUPHLQ

While Villeneuve described "Dune: Part Two" as "a war epic action movie," he also stressed that at "the epicenter of the story" is the love story between Paul (Chalamet) and Chandi (Zendaya).

"I kept saying to my crew, 'The most important thing is that spark, that relationship between both of these characters,'" Villeneuve said. "If we don't capture that, if we don't have that onscreen, there's no movie."

From Vanity Fair, they describe Dune: Part Two as "an epic love story."
"The universe of Dune is a complex world of geopolitics. But at the center, there's this relationship where Chani [played by Zendaya] sort of becomes a moral compass. She's really the humanizing, grounding force to that." - Timothée Chalamet

Last edited:
OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
From the Vanity Fair article:

Feyd:
"Austin Butler brought to the screen something that would be a cross between a psychotic, sociopath serial killer and Mick Jagger. He's someone Machiavellian, much more cruel, much more strategic, and is more narcissistic"

Stilgar:
"Stilgar, like all the characters, is playing some chess game. He believes that Paul could be that prophetic figure, and he slowly keeps Paul under his wing and becomes a beautiful, surrogate father figure."

Rabban:
"Rabban wants to please. He wants to please the baron... He's not very intelligent... Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen is a very clever, very charismatic figure, and much more brilliant."

Jessica:
"Those tattoos are linked with the prophecy. We see that there's a darkness, a very specific darkness in her eyes. Lady Jessica is one of the masterminds of Dune... The meaning of that look would be unveiled in Part Two."

Irulan:
"[Irulan's] stake could not be higher because she's afraid that her father could lose the throne, could lose everything. [Florence Pugh] has something inherently royal about her."

Gurney Halleck:
"Gurney Halleck survived and has come back to avenge his friends. For people who know Dune, there will be a massive battle at the end of Part Two."

Margot Fenring:
"Margot Fenring is a Bene Gesserit sister, but will be a secret agent in the movie. It was very playful to work with Léa [Seydoux]. It's a character full of surprises."

Baron:
"I always saw the Baron as some kind of hippopotamus that, because of his weight, is more comfortable in liquid. He feels more relaxed in those baths, and as we see him in that picture, he's smoking spice."

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Seydoux is perfect for Fenring. I can't help but think of Pugh as Odrade but those movies will never be made so Irulan it is. I just feel like it's a bit of a small part for such a good actress.

What's funny is seeing all the book purists get angry over hair (and bringing up the dinner scene again)

But I'm not sure how to feel about it being "an epic war movie,"
I feel the same, but in Villeneuve I trust. Considering what's left to tell, adapting the rest of Paul's story here does seem like it would be like a war movie in structure. You've got white saviour who enlists the aid of the indigenous for assault and vengeance against the villainous empire, lol

It's almost like The Last Samurai

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I trust in him. I think I'm coming around to the idea of it being an epic war movie with a love story at the center of it. Kinda excited about it, even though I didn't like the first movie that much, I feel like there's huge potential in the follow up.

Ché

Oct 14, 2022
Ontario
Yeah I trust in him. I think I'm coming around to the idea of it being an epic war movie with a love story at the center of it. Kinda excited about it, even though I didn't like the first movie that much, I feel like there's huge potential in the follow up.
There needs to be a lot more character work and dialogue to make us care about these pretty people in pretty places

4KLobster

Dec 17, 2017
Japan
Seydoux is perfect for Fenring. I can't help but think of Pugh as Odrade but those movies will never be made so Irulan it is. I just feel like it's a bit of a small part for such a good actress.

Funny, saw Ferguson as Odrade, but Lady Jessica is best next outcome I guess...

As for "movies will never be made", who knows? Could be done as a big budget TV series (still Emperor of Dune would be hard to render without losing 75% of the audience...).

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
As for "movies will never be made", who knows? Could be done as a big budget TV series (still Emperor of Dune would be hard to render without losing 75% of the audience...).
God Emperor I envision as an artistic obsession film by Darren Aronofsky (like The Fountain). So yea 100% a niche kind of audience haha.

Nayla watching Duncan scale the cliff:
the-fountain-hugh-jackman.gif

edit: lmao forgot I already referenced The Fountain, I guess it's living there rent free

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
Feyd looks phenomenal.

Edit, may as well post the others (spoiler tagged for the uninitiated)

t7eKpUR.png

Paul Muad'Dib looking like someone that might just use atomics to blow up a wall or something, I don't know

wOErhgj.png

Chani looking like someone has killed her firstborn

9Rdmaet.png

The Lady Jessica as a Sayaddina

Xrgk06z.png

Irulan in imperial garb, realizing she will never get the D from Muad'Dib

befYQ0Y.png

Stilgar wearing something else, maybe sietch garb

hHGD4mp.png

Smuggler Gurney

UtTASxx.png

Rabban looks like he just learned that Gurney survived