Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Were they really? Honest question.

Considering what we heard about Dante's inclusion in that game, and the drama thereof since Itsuno apparently wasn't consulted at all, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if they weren't.
I would imagine that it's more of a thing for the MH team in particular, as they vetoed the inclusion of the Hunter back in MvC3. Obviously something changed between then & Infinite. Itsuno's objection was more towards how Dante looked, as he wasn't involved for that specifically.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
You got to have faith. Ichinose dosen't disappoint. The portable team makes the best/iconic Monsters and really interesting gameplay mechanics like arts and styles.
Thats true generations ultimate was great. But im just afraid that capcom will give him a tiny budget since world exploded in 2018

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh we didn't just catch up, the sales of World outstrip the sales of any previous title by a wide... WIDE margin, and the vast majority of those sales are in the "west".

Source:

Edit: re-read my comment and I just wanna make clear im not like "calling you out" or anything! I found the lopsidedness of the sales figures surprising when i saw them and your comment made me think of it. Sorry if maybe it came off in a negative tone!

The numbers are incorrect here, as it doesn't have the digital sales in JP which was a good chunk as it had stock issues

2 mil was physical

Feb 5, 2018
Hopefully it:

- Has all 14 weapon types (i think this is standard now and they won't make the same mistake like in Tri)

- Add 1/2 more weapon types

- Refines the roster (Im okay with Worlds roster, but if we are getting many or most of those monsters again, then we need many of the more *unique* monsters back, which are primarily Gen 3/Gen 4)

- Swimming if it works well/isn't broken/entirely reinvented.

- Weapon Arts, if not Styles. I feel like the Portable team wouldn't stray too far from this idea.

- Seamless maps. Even if they aren't as impressive as World, hopefully the artstyle makes up for it, but seamless maps again is a huge step forward.

Anyway I'm excited. Hopefully they just outright confirm all flagships. That SHOULD be standard, and we're missing like 7 of them from Iceborne.

IronWarrior94

Jun 1, 2018
Hopefully it:

- Has all 14 weapon types (i think this is standard now and they won't make the same mistake like in Tri)

- Add 1/2 more weapon types

- Refines the roster (Im okay with Worlds roster, but if we are getting many or most of those monsters again, then we need many of the more *unique* monsters back, which are primarily Gen 3/Gen 4)

- Swimming if it works well/isn't broken/entirely reinvented.

- Weapon Arts, if not Styles. I feel like the Portable team wouldn't stray too far from this idea.

- Seamless maps. Even if they aren't as impressive as World, hopefully the artstyle makes up for it, but seamless maps again is a huge step forward.

Anyway I'm excited. Hopefully they just outright confirm all flagships. That SHOULD be standard, and we're missing like 7 of them from Iceborne.
Agreed. I'm especially hoping that the Portable team revisits the two weapons they almost introduced in Generations. I'm a big fan of animal companions, please give me the Hunting Hound lol.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I would imagine that it's more of a thing for the MH team in particular, as they vetoed the inclusion of the Hunter back in MvC3. Obviously something changed between then & Infinite.

That's the thing, though. I'd argue that it really hasn't!

The story goes is that they wanted to avoid having an "established image" for a Hunter, because the Hunter represents the player, and there shouldn't be any one design that's more "valid" than what the player themselves comes up with. In other words, not a Splatoon situation where the girl Inkling(s) are more prominent in promo art and trailers, have the edge in the series's established lore, etc. And while human Hunter designs have and still do pop up for collectibles and the like, we've never really seen anything quite like MvCI's "Monster Hunter" pop up since then. Again, not even in Teppen, and that's the game that even includes a card for "Morudomunto", a Monster that previously has only been in Monster Hunter Explorers (a mobile game that's not even available in the West).

Again, Teppen only seems to really emphasize the notion that as far as MH is concerned, the Monsters and Felynes are the real stars of the show. The human/humanoid cast is, and always will be, secondary.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
A few random thoughts on what I'm hoping/expecting from a Switch Monster Hunter:
  • It'll be a title that's been in development for a long time
  • It'll have a ton of old monsters, as well as some really good new ones (naturally)
  • Graphics will be a big step-up from Generations Ultimate. Won't have the polygon count of something like World, but makes up for it with good art direction
  • The maps will be more complex than those of previous generations, but being built for Switch will mean they won't be too complex. Segmented or seamless? This could go either way
  • Playable Prowlers again, surely
  • Not expecting any whole new weapon types, but I am expecting some sort of experimental new hunting mechanic. An evolution of the styles/arts system? Something new? Hard to say
  • Hoping the quests will be split into Village/Hub lines again, because having harder hub quests tuned for multiple players encourages people to make turns rooms where everybody posts difficult quests for hours on end
Should be a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to seeing what they've come up with.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That's the thing, though. I'd argue that it really hasn't!

The story goes is that they wanted to avoid having an "established image" for a Hunter, because the Hunter represents the player, and there shouldn't be any one design that's more "valid" than what the player themselves comes up with. In other words, not a Splatoon situation where the girl Inkling(s) are more prominent in promo art and trailers, have the edge in the series's established lore, etc. And while human Hunter designs have and still do pop up for collectibles and the like, we've never really seen anything quite like MvCI's "Monster Hunter" pop up since then. Again, not even in Teppen, and that's the game that even includes a card for "Morudomunto", a Monster that previously has only been in Monster Hunter Explorers (a mobile game that's not even available in the West).

Again, Teppen only seems to really emphasize the notion that as far as MH is concerned, the Monsters and Felynes are the real stars of the show. The human/humanoid cast is, and always will be, secondary.
But the fact that we got the Hunter in MvCI at all shows that they aren't entirely opposed to the idea. And I wouldn't be surprised if the Hunter becomes a staple in future Versus games. And if the Capcom fighting game team could get the Hunter, Sakurai definitely could as well. Not to mention that art contest with the characters made by the person who created Astro Boy also features the Monster Hunter (albeit in Kirin armor rather than Rathalos armor like in MvCI).

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
But the fact that we got the Hunter in MvCI at all shows that they aren't entirely opposed to the idea. And I wouldn't be surprised if the Hunter becomes a staple in future Versus games. And if the Capcom fighting game team could get the Hunter, Sakurai definitely could as well. Not to mention that art contest with the characters made by the person who created Astro Boy also features the Monster Hunter (albeit in Kirin armor).

That much likely will depend on Tsujimoto, admittedly.

Now that he's the head over fighting games, as well, we're never going to get a better chance to see what his unfettered vision for the MH franchise is, and how he desires to see it represented in other games.

So, one way or another, we likely won't have to wait too long to see what the truth will be!

Nov 1, 2017
Massachusetts
If DuskGolem's statement about this being on a version of the RE Engine, then there shouldn't be a repeat of World's difficulties.

But i'll be there with you crying when it's wyvern and elder dragons "only" again.
I could really really use a reassuring post from somebody explaining how RE Engine does what MT Framework don't and why Lagi's neck isn't gonna be a problem. Also all those unique 4th gen animations, every single one.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
I could really really use a reassuring post from somebody explaining how RE Engine does what MT Framework don't and why Lagi's neck isn't gonna be a problem. Also all those unique 4th gen animations, every single one.
GaijinHunter speculated that the problem with getting Lagi to work in World had less to do with his long neck and more to do with getting him to interact with the more complex terrain. If a Switch version has flatter and less complex map terrain, they I don't see why he couldn't come back.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That much likely will depend on Tsujimoto, admittedly.

Now that he's the head over fighting games, as well, we're never going to get a better chance to see what his unfettered vision for the MH franchise is, and how he desires to see it represented in other games.

So, one way or another, we likely won't have to wait too long to see what the truth will be!
So you think she's going to be cut in future Versus games? Considering how well-received her inclusion in MvCI was, I'd be surprised if she doesn't return in whatever they do next.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

Well, if nothing else, his neck was never the problem. It's his belly.

To give a basic synopsis, if you can't watch the vid: Leviathans like Lagi have the problem of being a) very large and b) often drag their bellies along the ground. This would be very problematic for World's level design, because the game would then have to calculate how these types of monsters would interact with slopes and other complex level geometry.

I would go on to say that similar problems would exist for the crabs, bugs and VERY large monsters like Gammoth, just because there's little that could be done to "fit" them in World.

We can only hope that the new engine, and the Portable team's level designs, would not openly create problems for entire classes in the Monster Hunter cast.

So you think she's going to be cut in future Versus games? Considering how well-received her inclusion in MvCI was, I'd be surprised if she doesn't return in whatever they do next.

Maybe? It certainly wouldn't be the first time decently-liked characters didn't return for a Versus game sequel, no matter how much they were loved previously.

...And before we talk about the mutants, I'm actually referring to the likes of Captain Commando, Ruby Heart and Jin Saotome! Or how even Volnutt didn't jump over from Tatsunoko and could've shut up a lot of the complaints about a Blue Bomber rep for MvC3!

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Nah that ain't happening. Doesn't mean it won't sell a boatload of copies though... It all depends on what it offers.

In Japan, it could well become the biggest entry in the franchise (5m+). If it sells 3-4m units in the rest of the world we could witness to the second best selling Capcom game ever before World.

Feb 5, 2018
What I want from Monster Hunter Switch:

-Badass new monsters.

Yep, that's it.

Judging from past portable titles (discounting main games on portable consoles) which had Nargacuga, Tigrex, Zinogre, Glavenous, Mizutsune, Gammoth, Astalos, and Valstrax just as from a pure flagship perspective, we should be doing well in that front.

However, I do like to add that the Portable games generally build upon the mainline game that introduced the generation, meaning its very likely this game will feature a lot of what World offered in terms of monsters on top of bringing other old monsters and new ones. But, since its rumored to be on a new engine, its possible thats not the case this time, but that was the case for Freedom Unite, P3rd, and Generations/Gen Ultimate.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Maybe? It certainly wouldn't be the first time decently-liked characters didn't return for a Versus game sequel, no matter how much they were loved previously.

...And before we talk about the mutants, I'm actually referring to the likes of Captain Commando, Ruby Heart and Jin Saotome! Or how even Volnutt didn't jump over from Tatsunoko and could've shut up a lot of the complaints about a Blue Bomber rep for MvC3!
Decently? Monster Hunter was considered to be one of the highlights of MvCI. And I wouldn't put her in the same caliber as Captain Commando or Jin Saotome, we both know how big Monster Hunter is. Also, I recall Niitsuma mentioning him wanting to move away from OCs for the Capcom side (hence no Ruby Heart).

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
In Japan, it could well become the biggest entry in the franchise (5m+). If it sells 3-4m units in the rest of the world we could witness to the second best selling Capcom game ever before World.

I personally feel like this is a foregone conclusion unless something goes catastrophically wrong. Switch has so much momentum right now globally and MH has never been more popular/well known.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine if MH Switch has been given a lot of dev time and resources from Capcom, launches simultaneously worldwide, and receives a big marketing push from Capcom and Nintendo, it'll sell 10+ million units without too much trouble.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I suspect that MH Stories 2 will be the first Capcom RE-Engine game to be released, within this FY
otherwise the forecasts seem too low for both RE8 and MHSwitch

Maybe not. RE 8 is next gen only as of now, so it's sales are limited. MonHun coming at a very late point shortly before the end of the FY could also mean that the sales for that FY are more limited.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I personally feel like this is a foregone conclusion unless something goes catastrophically wrong. Switch has so much momentum right now globally and MH has never been more popular/well known.
Yeah, the game would have to be gimped in some way for it to not be the biggest entry in Japan imo. Like 'not worthy of being called mainline portable' levels of gimped.

I'd imagine if MH Switch has been given a lot of dev time and resources from Capcom, launches simultaneously worldwide, and receives a big marketing push from Capcom and Nintendo, it'll sell 10+ million units without too much trouble.
Yeah, Japan seems to be a 5M+ market for it, and western sales should be much bigger than previous entries, considering even MHGU sold like 1.4M as a very late port of a spin-off title that already released in the west on 3DS. A truly new game, presumably with day and date localisation, should do several times that number. 10M+ seems really likely imo.

IronWarrior94

Jun 1, 2018
Apparently the main issue wasnt the neck, it was not meshing well with the terrain of World's maps. Something I realised that people often forget is that this isnt the first time Leviathans were completely absent from a game. This same ordeal happened in MH4, and what was a big gimmick of that game? An emphasis on verticality and elevated terrain.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be careful in assuming it will exceed Portable 3rd. PSP was a big success in Japan too. 3DS was as well and MH4 still only did 4m.

Nov 1, 2017
Massachusetts
To give a basic synopsis, if you can't watch the vid: Leviathans like Lagi have the problem of being a) very large and b) often drag their bellies along the ground. This would be very problematic for World's level design, because the game would then have to calculate how these types of monsters would interact with slopes and other complex level geometry.
Okay, that video is exactly what I needed to see, especially that bit about Team Lagi. I still have no idea what RE Engine is supposed to do to help but I'll assume we'd see simpler area geometry on the Switch anyways. Consider my hopes raised!

Nov 1, 2017
Massachusetts
For a start, RE Engine isn't old as shit by now. ^^

zRg3MHiNCt3Q6lyfzydTAVWXXnM=.gif

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe not. RE 8 is next gen only as of now, so it's sales are limited. MonHun coming at a very late point shortly before the end of the FY could also mean that the sales for that FY are more limited.

Mmm...RE8 next-gen only is a good point
I really hope we'll find out EVERYTHING betweeen today and tomorrow (RE8 at the PS5 event, MHSwitch at the Direct)
would be glorious

Apparently the main issue wasnt the neck, it was not meshing well with the terrain of World's maps. Something I realised that people often forget is that this isnt the first time Leviathans were completely absent from a game. This same ordeal happened in MH4, and what was a big gimmick of that game? An emphasis on verticality and elevated terrain.
I'm not sure that works out as the reason why Leviathans skipped 4 and 4U when Najarala is a thing.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is software on Switch doing better overall than those systems at the moment?

Not sure about the PSP comparison(I assume Switch is better) but overall Switch is doing better software wise than 3DS but we've seen a bunch of games that were big on 3DS(Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion for instance) not explode on Switch in the same way that more home console based IPs have.

Of course the obvious caveat there is that so far only Nintendo games have been hitting those massive numbers. Switch only has 1 third party million seller in Japan right now(Minecraft).

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure that works out as the reason why Leviathans skipped 4 and 4U when Najarala is a thing.
I'm pretty sure Najarala was only in the Primal Forest, which is a pretty flat map by 4/4U standards.

But I think another reason some of the Leviathan types skipped 4/4U is that the developers hadn't spent the time tuning them for a game without aquatic battles. Lagiacrus in particular suddenly gained a whole bunch of new thunder attacks in Generations because he's a bit of a pushover out of the water back in 3U.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

A good, traditional MH game for Switch would easily sell at the very least 1.5M during its first week(end). Either the game launches next FY (not likely considering DuskGolem's hint), or they have to update the forecasts.

I'm pretty sure Najarala was only in the Primal Forest, which is a pretty flat map by 4/4U standards.

But I think another reason some of the Leviathan types skipped 4/4U is that the developers hadn't spent the time tuning them for a game without aquatic battles. Lagiacrus in particular suddenly gained a whole bunch of new thunder attacks in Generations because he's a bit of a pushover out of the water back in 3U.
You forget about Tidal Najarala.

Status
Not open for further replies.