wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Nothin quite like those rural Singapore highrise resorts with infinity pools to get you settled in for some good folk horror vibes :P

Jokes aside I'm in for whatever Capcom's RE teams come up with, only modern entry miss they've had was RE3R and even that wasn't that bad sans the campaign length.

I know this is probably going to be third person anyway but I'm curious if RE4 remake might be the last RE we get the VR treatment for since Sony was the one that threw money at Capcom to make it happen, and the latter's ongoing support for VR seems shaky at best. Could be worse VR ports to go out on, RE4R on PSVR2 is amazing.

Oct 27, 2017
Always happy for more Resident Evil, but with the Winters chapter closed I do worry as the scope increases, that the chances of the series jumping the shark again also increase.

Perfectly happy if they continue to get weird with it and experiment. 7 and 8 felt more "Resident Evil" to me than 5 and 6 did by a wide margin, and the series still has a lot of room for some inspired genre fiction. RE4R straight up felt like you were dropped into the middle of a Ben Wheatley film at times and leaned in to the folk horror elements that were lingering just under the surface of the original in a really smart way.

Yeah, a huge part of why I enjoyed 7 and 8 so much was because (especially 7 to start out) didn't even feel like a what a typical RE game had become at that point. You're playing some rando on some small scale mission to find your wife in the rural South with some weird hillbilly horror/slasher vibes. And then you get the slow roll out of your typical RE bioweapon stuff as the game goes on, which I enjoyed.

And even though Village felt a little more "traditional" RE, at least in terms of being somewhat analogous to RE4 in terms of structure, the Lords and the gothic horror, monster vibes with an RE twist was 100% something I loved. Plus, again, all the lore heavy RE stuff was mostly kept at the edges for most of the game.

But even with Village, I felt it crept too close to too much action at times and just plopping in some experienced veteran like Chris or Jill makes me think they'd go the more action, zombie route which.... just doesn't excite me too much. The weird and unknown aspects of RE7 and RE8 are what made me love those games so much, especially playing as Ethan who was just some dude, not some veteran operator.

I know this is probably going to be third person anyway but I'm curious if RE4 remake might be the last RE we get the VR treatment for since Sony was the one that threw money at Capcom to make it happen, and the latter's ongoing support for VR seems shaky at best. Could be worse VR ports to go out on, RE4R on PSVR2 is amazing.

This would also suck. RE7, Village and RE4R are stupendous VR experiences and my only hope is that maybe if Sony does something to open up PSVR2 to PC, maybe that breathes some new life into it. Probably not, which would be a shame since PSVR2 is a nice headset.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
This would also suck. RE7, Village and RE4R are stupendous VR experiences and my only hope is that maybe if Sony does something to open up PSVR2 to PC, maybe that breathes some new life into it. Probably not, which would be a shame since PSVR2 is a nice headset.

Indeed, its such a great headset for horror games in particular cause of the OLED displays for those perfect black levels. I've been playing MADiSON VR on it lately and its so much scarier due to that. When you're in an area without any light you're really in the dark, its so much more immersive. Most comparably priced headsets like Quest 3 don't use OLED so you gotta go up nearly twice as much for recent PCVR headsets that do.

Sony is supposed to provide PC support to PSVR2 but no details when that's happening, but when it does at least PC has stuff like Praydog's RE framework that allows for VR mods for any game made with RE Engine. Not as good as the VR controls made by Capcom but its something for future titles 🤷‍♂️

duckroll

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Yeah, a huge part of why I enjoyed 7 and 8 so much was because (especially 7 to start out) didn't even feel like a what a typical RE game had become at that point. You're playing some rando on some small scale mission to find your wife in the rural South with some weird hillbilly horror/slasher vibes. And then you get the slow roll out of your typical RE bioweapon stuff as the game goes on, which I enjoyed.

And even though Village felt a little more "traditional" RE, at least in terms of being somewhat analogous to RE4 in terms of structure, the Lords and the gothic horror, monster vibes with an RE twist was 100% something I loved. Plus, again, all the lore heavy RE stuff was mostly kept at the edges for most of the game.

But even with Village, I felt it crept too close to too much action at times and just plopping in some experienced veteran like Chris or Jill makes me think they'd go the more action, zombie route which.... just doesn't excite me too much. The weird and unknown aspects of RE7 and RE8 are what made me love those games so much, especially playing as Ethan who was just some dude, not some veteran operator.
This is probably not an uncommon feeling from fans of RE7 and 8, which I find very unfortunate for myself. I found the games leaning into more traditional horror and weakening the protagonists to create more suspense to be the opposite of what I enjoy in RE. As a long-time fan, it felt alienating and offputting to see RE lean into actual horror, when I just want a series with crazy lore, kickass action, and over the top characters.

I've grown to love the Redfields, Wesker, and the whole shebang. I really want to see that stuff return after two entries that deviated from it. The last thing I would want is for yet another franchise I love to become something I don't care for anymore - like what Castlevania became after SotN. I would much rather RE offer experiences that different players can enjoy based on different entries. Playing the RE2 and RE4 remakes do give me a lot of hope that Capcom still understands that part of RE, and want to bring it back into the main entries though. So I certainly hope with rumours of an open world setting, that it also means more action and more wild stuff, rather than suspenseful small intimate settings that invoke actual horror. I just wanna blow zombies' heads off and kick them in the curb!

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
ugh, if it's open world, I just hope it isn't safe or Ubi-styled, like so many other "biggest budget ever" projects. The series thrived on tight level design.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
OMG they're setting it in Yishun!

I hope they meant Malaysia, which I would totally mark out over.

Singapore have mutilple military camps, bases, world class zoos and malls which many are underground that kind of make sense for a resident evil type of game lol. Not sure about the rural part unless they count on the offshore islands including Pulau Tekong.

Actually the more I think about it, a Re game set in Singapore will be great, imagine a outbreak in the hdb neighbourhood sitting beside multiple places of worship from different religions, wet markets and food centres.

Actually Yishun would really be a good setting lol. The mrt area has all these things, along with the hospital. And it's near Mandai lol

It's gone and replaced by an education exhibit on rocks now.

Also, the Botanical Gardens and Gardens by the Bay area two completely different attractions that aren't even in the same location!

The Avatar Experience was in Gardens by the Bay and inside the Cloud Forest section, not the Flower Dome.

🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪
The rock exhibition is a permanent fixture that gets set aside when they have themed exhibitions. I never realised how expensive the the Gardens By The Bay attractions are for foreigners until recently.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
ugh, if it's open world, I just hope it isn't safe or Ubi-styled, like so many other "biggest budget ever" projects. The series thrived on tight level design.

I hope it's like the Evil Within 2. Open world with smaller focused areas. Some surprises with a thing hunting you through houses/stores. Like these folks could get REALLY creative with this.

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
I hope it's like the Evil Within 2. Open world with smaller focused areas. Some surprises with a thing hunting you through houses/stores. Like these folks could get REALLY creative with this.
I always considered that a hub game rather than open world, kinda like Mario and Banjo etc, though it has been a while since I played it and I can't remember how big that town hub area was. Its a stretch but you can kind of make the argument they did that with the Village in RE8.

I do agree that I don't want a full on open world though.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I always considered that a hub game rather than open world, kinda like Mario and Banjo etc, though it has been a while since I played it and I can't remember how big that town hub area was. Its a stretch but you can kind of make the argument they did that with the Village in RE8.

Yeah it wasn't exactly open world but it's the vibe I'd want if they go open world for RE9. An island is pretty perfect for that.

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
Holy shit a novel videogame setting.

I think it will be Open World in the sense of the way RE8 was structured with your choice to tackle each of the boss "areas", but just with a bit more of a feeling of freedom than that.

Kind of like FFVII Remake > Rebirth. Rebirth is Open World but it still feels like a game divided into specific self-contained zones.

That's it hub game. That's what I think we will get.

Last edited:

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
We will make an open world RE game.
But we have to limit the scope.
Open world set in Singapore.
Won't mind If they make it as dense and detailed as the open "world" shopping malls in dead rising 1 and 2, Singapore pack a lot of stuff in a small neighbourhood. Even if it's open world, if there are buildings that you can enter, the scope could be biggee than all the maps of RE1+RE2+RE3+Re4 combine lol.

Man I can dream, really miss Dead rising type of open sandbox.

Edit

Agree with the hub world suggested by the other posters earlier, make each area a open sandbox like the malls in the eailier dead rising with the same level details and interactivity.

Edit

If anyone at Capcom is reading this.

I want roaming giant mutated Otters.

Last edited:

hamster1998

May 8, 2020
So to the best of my knowledge, here's vaguely how this all went. To my knowledge, this should all be pretty accurate, I was able to get a much better view of the situation after RE8 actually came out, I made some mistakes about RE8 before it released due to some mixed wires I got from sources. Part of the confusion before release for me where I got some facts wrong is the first time I had properly heard about RE8, I had heard it as Revelations 3. I had heard like back in 2019 that "Revelations 3" starred Ethan in a snowy European village that was a bit like RE4 in first-person, and Chris was like a villain character to Ethan and there was a very tall vampire lady. I later heard some things of a (I now believe to be) scrapped version of Revelations 3, but due to hearing about RE8 first as "Revelations 3", I had some wires crossed at the time, and got a bit mixed-up, In retrospective, I think what happened is the person who told me about RE8 under "Revelations 3" knew Rev 3 was in dev at the time, & Village was a side title at the time, so assumed it was Rev 3. Some of my earliest comments about RE8 being "years away" is because what is now RE9 but I had heard of as RE8 was still years away, Village & Rev 3 I had mixed some details up about, and it all ended up in a bit of a messy state for me. But I digress.

Back in 2016, There was a guy named Jordan Amaro who had worked at Konami with Kojima on titles like P.T., who joined Capcom after that disbanded. He had declared he'd direct Resident Evil 8, or else he'd quit. In his own time, he made a pitch demo for his version of RE8, and near the reveal of RE7 in summer of 2016 pitched it to Capcom. The higher-ups at Capcom did like the pitched demo, but not as RE8, instead it became DLC for RE8. This was also why the season pass of RE7 went up in price by $10 less than a month after it was pre-orderable on Playstation Store after the game was unveiled, an additional DLC piece that wasn't planned was greenlit. However, Jordan kept his word and left Capcom (went on to join Nintendo). Simultaneously, Capcom had received Not a Hero DLC back from a developer they had outsourced it to, but didn't like the results they got back. So several things happened around the same time right before RE7 even came out, they needed to rework the Not a Hero DLC themselves (which is why it got delayed), the second main RE8 DLC piece needed a new director & direction to pick it up, so RE8 was put on hold for a bit. Morimasa Sato was chosen to direct RE8 due to his writing on RE7 (and Jack Baker was essentially his "baby" and creation, and was the most well received aspect of RE7 in many ways). While the RE7 DLCs were put into development, the team also had to choose where to go with RE8 in the meantime.

Morimasa Sato's idea was Village, but his proof-of-concept demo was poorly received internally, and many within the team thought it was too "weird" for Resident Evil. Still, Sato helped lot in realizing the DLCs for RE7 come to fruition, so Capcom gave him a chance to continue to develop the idea under the idea it'd be a side game. Sato's idea was always it was going to be a direct sequel to RE7, it'd be a story about Ethan going to a fictional village in Europe.

Another idea started to form in early 2018 as a stand-in for RE8, a much more ambitious idea. I'm going to creep around specific details and leave some stuff out since at present the public doesn't know what RE9 is or is about (as this ultimately turned into RE9), but It started getting worked on, and the vertical slice demo made for it was actually really well received. But The idea was a bit too ambitious, and even before COVID it was starting to look like RE8 wouldn't be out until 2023 at the earliest, if not later. Capcom did not want there to be a 7+ year gap between mainline entries, and as luck would have it the Village side project had actually come together a lot nicer since the vertical slice demo. It was more of a lower budget affair, but the team was being creative with it, it was being received well internally, and coming together more on its own.

So, the call was made to replan the mainline titles. Village was un-sidelined and put back as a mainline title, to become RE8, and the ambitious idea that was supposed to be RE8 was replanned as RE9. Village was heavily reworked, and as mentioned they did a lot of testing behind the scenes, got a lot of feedback, and reworked a lot of the story, even reworked big sections of the game to bring overall polish up.

There were various changes through RE8's development, but that's a whole other story. Village always starred Ethan and was always meant to be a direct sequel to RE7. Its status as RE8 just wasn't so for something like 1.5-2 years of its development time (like from late 2017 to somewhere in 2019). RE8's story was changed to make it more in-line with a "mainline title" by Capcom's standards, and RE9's story was plotted alongside RE8's due to both being in development at the same time.

Ethan never changed, but there were some pretty radical other changes. Heisenberg was originally planned to be Lucas, which is why you see a picture of the old lady from Village in Lucas' birthday party puzzle in RE7, was supposed to be foreshadowing, but when reworking Not a Hero they decided to kill Lucas off instead (the monster you fight in Not a Hero originally wasn't Lucas, longer story there). The characters of Mother Miranda & The Duke were actually not existent in the game AT ALL until early 2020 when there was some big story alterations made in RE8. Some aspects of the story changed very little during RE8's restructure, but some changed a LOT. In my opinion, while most of the final story works, Chris' story was absolutely botched to be almost nonsensical in the final at least IMO.

I'm fairly positive everything I just shared is pretty accurate to how it happened, but I get people won't take what I say here as gospel or anything, is what it is.
So that Rebecca revelations game is scrapped? That sucks

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Same. I didn't dislike them, but neither did I come away with strong praise either like most. One and done that I'm likely to never revisit. Ethan wasn't much of a character or identity to latch onto either.
It's the damn stupid gimmick of never showing his face. It ruins him.

I visibly groaned when inspecting the weeding album in Village.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

Update:

What it says :

•Leon S. Kennedy will be the main character in the game's prologue. The source does not know why only the prologue of the game was mentioned, so the character may change as the story progresses.

•In the prologue, the setting will be Southeast Asia as previously mentioned by Dusk Golem, and as with the first piece of information, the setting may change as the story progresses.

•The story events will take place in the summer of 2025, which means that Leon will be 48 years old at that time.

. It is worth noting that the 30th anniversary will be in 2026, and according to what the source heard, the remake of the first part will be released in 2026. So maybe this "thing" that Capcom is preparing is the remake, especially since it is related to the anniversary.

More in the tweet that has not been translated.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Pragmata update: https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/1co5fep/duskgolem_capcoms_pragmata_plot/

"Pragmata is about two robots who live on a failed attempt to colonize the moon, which was abandoned after robots & AI took over the moon & humans just disabled their ability to reach them on Earth rather than deal fully with the problem, and we play as two robots who are starting to become strikingly human through the robots evolving who desire to go to Earth.

And yes, it's an action-narrative game"

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
RE1 Remake on the 30th makes sense. New fans need to be introduced to Wesker before they blow him up in RE5 Remake.

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020

Update:

What it says :

•Leon S. Kennedy will be the main character in the game's prologue. The source does not know why only the prologue of the game was mentioned, so the character may change as the story progresses.

•In the prologue, the setting will be Southeast Asia as previously mentioned by Dusk Golem, and as with the first piece of information, the setting may change as the story progresses.

•The story events will take place in the summer of 2025, which means that Leon will be 48 years old at that time.

. It is worth noting that the 30th anniversary will be in 2026, and according to what the source heard, the remake of the first part will be released in 2026. So maybe this "thing" that Capcom is preparing is the remake, especially since it is related to the anniversary.

Time to announce Jill

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Come on, gimme a Jill and Leon game. Let them share the spotlight for the first time.

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting. I guess the medieval setting turned out to not be accurate? South East Asian horror is creepy as shit. Much more excited by the setting

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020
RE1 Remake on the 30th makes sense. New fans need to be introduced to Wesker before they blow him up in RE5 Remake.

RE9 in 2025, REmake in 2026... could it be??

I think there was a hint in the Separate Ways DLC... in the scene where Ada wakes up in Mendez' house and Wesker is there. The music when Wesker is shown is kinda reminiscent of a track from RE1.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
Pragmata update: https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/1co5fep/duskgolem_capcoms_pragmata_plot/

"Pragmata is about two robots who live on a failed attempt to colonize the moon, which was abandoned after robots & AI took over the moon & humans just disabled their ability to reach them on Earth rather than deal fully with the problem, and we play as two robots who are starting to become strikingly human through the robots evolving who desire to go to Earth.

And yes, it's an action-narrative game"
perhaps worthy of its own separate thread

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
RE9 in 2025, REmake in 2026... could it be??

I think there was a hint in the Separate Ways DLC... in the scene where Ada wakes up in Mendez' house and Wesker is there. The music when Wesker is shown is kinda reminiscent of a track from RE1.
Honestly I know people don't want a Remake of Remake but between getting RE9, a potential RE1 Remake and most likely RE5 Remake, all close to each other, they could/should mix things up when it comes to Wesker and maybe even Spencer.

Oct 26, 2017
I hope they will continue the VR support, Capcom has been knocking it out of the park with their recent REVR stuff and RE4 VR has been my favorite release for a long long time, it's outstanding.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
The RE2/RE4 Remake team doing RE1 would be incredible.
I mean, I love the '02 REmake and, IMO, it still holds up today visually- but imagining what that team could do with the first RE? Sign me the fuck up.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
They wouldn't put Leon just in the prologue, so it's safe to say that if the leak is accurate he will be the protagonist of at least half the game.

Here's hoping the other protagonist is Jill.

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably not an uncommon feeling from fans of RE7 and 8, which I find very unfortunate for myself. I found the games leaning into more traditional horror and weakening the protagonists to create more suspense to be the opposite of what I enjoy in RE. As a long-time fan, it felt alienating and offputting to see RE lean into actual horror, when I just want a series with crazy lore, kickass action, and over the top characters.

I've grown to love the Redfields, Wesker, and the whole shebang. I really want to see that stuff return after two entries that deviated from it. The last thing I would want is for yet another franchise I love to become something I don't care for anymore - like what Castlevania became after SotN. I would much rather RE offer experiences that different players can enjoy based on different entries. Playing the RE2 and RE4 remakes do give me a lot of hope that Capcom still understands that part of RE, and want to bring it back into the main entries though. So I certainly hope with rumours of an open world setting, that it also means more action and more wild stuff, rather than suspenseful small intimate settings that invoke actual horror. I just wanna blow zombies' heads off and kick them in the curb!
I'm with you,
I literally only liked 7 for the VR.

SketchDog

Nov 25, 2021
Toronto

Update:

What it says :

Why we trusting this though? A source with no history of any other leaks right? There's been a lot of these posted on this site in the last 6 months or so and usually turns out fake.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Was hoping something like rural, small village Thailand like the movie The Medium with jungle and fishing villages lovecraft like cult enemies since the last one is werewolves. Main char should be Ada and we can learn more about her pass and obviously Leon somehow meeting her in the game.