• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.astutegaming.com/single-post/EASPORTSUFC3BETA

"Whilst EA Sports UFC 2 featured many similar microtransaction mechanics, it truly feels as though the online competition has reached a new level of inconsequence. Bear in mind that the microtransactions and all systems in effect, are part of a beta test. Despite this, it is equally significant to consider that the release date of February 2nd is looming ever closer, thus, it may be too late for drastic changes to be effectively implemented.

Every single technique, ability, fighter, and stat roll, is entirely acquired and upgraded through the loot box system. A brand-new player fresh out of the tutorials, can dump $1,000 into the game, acquire the rarest loot drops and immediately jump into online competition with a beastly custom fighter that has an exceedingly large health pool, vastly improved endurance, and substantially stronger strikes than the average player who simply pays the $60 price of admission. The higher the rarity of the item, the more significant the improvement overall. Pressing the square button to throw a punch at an opponent, quite literally the simplest and most obvious mechanic in an MMA game, perfectly exemplifies the absurdity of the microtransactions in question. A base level jab will do minimal damage to online opponents, however a fighter that purchases a loot box and acquires a five-star rarity level jab, will not only have a more efficient and powerful technique in combat, but will also be treated to a host of stat increases in all regards, making their player undeniably better in every scenario.

Microtransactions are also the only means of acquiring perks and boosts. Perks are powerful abilities that can be equipped for a small number of fights before expiring. They can range from a low-level stamina improvement during a certain phase, whether that be striking, grappling or ground game, to a significant hit point increase during pivotal health events, wherein your opponent has damaged you enough to potentially end the fight. Boosts on the other hand are similarly temporary enhancements that offer endurance boosts and durability bonuses. It is clear to see that in combination with technique enhancements and overall stat increases, EA has taken every single aspect of genuine competition and buried it."

I honestly never expected something like this coming from EA.

MOD EDIT:

This is pretty much how it was in Ultimate Team last UFC game. It's worse, but it's not that different.

Ultimate Team is crap and a waste of money, that I agree. But it should be stated that this doesn't affect any other mode in the game. Ranked matchmaking (which most people on the game play) has no advantages of this kind whatsoever. Nor will this appear in single player. This game can be played without any of this affecting you (and indeed that is what I'll be doing.)

Last edited by a moderator:

LegendofTrey

Oct 27, 2017
Oh this is gonna be good....

How big is the user base for the UFC games? I haven't played one since the THQ days. Battlefront had a bigger fan base, but still, this is insane,

Hopping_Mad

User banned for use of alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Australia
They might as well go all in with the whirlwind circling around. Chaos and confusion before the consumer understands what they walked into.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'll wait for reviews, and if I can't get away from the micro transaction bullshit by ignoring Ultimate Team entirely and enjoying the game without that whole part, then I'm not buying it, even though I'm enjoying how the striking feels in this beta.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia

How big is the user base for the UFC games? I haven't played one since the THQ days. Battlefront had a bigger fan base, but still, this is insane,

that's the thing, sports games monetization never gets a significant amount of clout compared to Star Wars because no one on this forum cares about sports games as much as other shit

2K18's monetization is gross as fuck...but like, no one cares here

Oct 27, 2017
The Ether

The UFC games don't sell much at all and go cheap super fast. I'm actually surprised EA still makes them though now that we know about this shit I can see why they gave it another crack. Without the microtransactions we probably wouldn't have seen another (once the UFC contract ran out).

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
lxrdftw.png

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fucking shame you can't a buy a good sports game anymore without blatant greed attached to it. This goes for 2k and EA. Just fucking sucks.

Skip

Oct 25, 2017
Microtransactions are also the only means of acquiring perks and boosts. Perks are powerful abilities that can be equipped for a small number of fights before expiring. (...) Boosts on the other hand are similarly temporary enhancements that offer endurance boosts and durability bonuses.

Yikes.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
It's a fucking shame you can't a buy a good sports game anymore without blatant greed attached to it. This goes for 2k and EA. Just fucking sucks.

Mutant Football League
Super Mega Baseball
RBI
NBA Playgrounds
Windjammers
Disc Jam
Super Sports Friends
NBA Live's monetization isn't as god awful as 2K18's too, and it's also okay

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember DLC Quest? You're gonna love the sequel!

Lootbox Quest, where basic mechanics like walking left and jumping are tied to gambling.

Loganclaws

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Please please please vote with your wallet people. Don't support this greedy company and the horrible way they treat their customers.

wubbyz

Oct 27, 2017
Connor mcgregor needs to pull a disney and throw some water on this before it goes full dumpster fire.

Nov 3, 2017
I think it was. I remember starting a career in it and immediately quitting when it seemed like Fifa ultimate team but for a fighters moves.

I know it had the ultimate team esque stuff with lootboxes for moves and boosts and such, not sure how it effected online that could be new, but it's definitely not an entirely new revelation (which doesn't make it okay, just makes the outrage a little silly to me)

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Wow

Just like real life UFC, money gets you farther than others

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Welp. Looks like EA will have their third apology tour and promise of retooling to do in February.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
It actually seems like EA is inching closer to doing what John Riccitello suggested years ago in selling players individual clips/magazines for guns

Nuclearaddict

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, so the stamina boosts are going a literal pay to play route? I never had to worry about them in UFC2, I collected around 600+ of them, but if the only way to collect them is through micro transactions then I'm out. I just can't put up with that level of greed.

The reach abuse was already frustrating and annoying, but now those same people can pay for stronger punches? Hahah, ok, Scrooge McDuck.

Edit: is the "share this code with a friend" key they emailed me along with my beta code a spare key?

Last edited:

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Fucking hell, that's egregious. It ruins everything, and sounds like the worst possible online model they could've gone with. It's greed over quality at this point.

I hate online modes where people can level up and everyone isn't equal. Earning or getting new skins is cool, but it should be fair for all, including those of us who don't play a lot. This sounds like it's going to be uneven, unfair and un-fun.

I'm glad I detest the UFC and would never play this game to begin with, but it sucks for those who are looking forward to it.

Jack Frost

Oct 25, 2017
They'll make shitloads of money and the Earth will keep spinning. EA is the car dealership of games.

CMM1215

Oct 25, 2017
This is honestly so cartoonish that I legitimately thought for a moment that this was parody. Wow.