• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
If a fighting game like Street Fighter or Guilty Gear would do this, it'd be a nightmare.
$10 for a special or V trigger XDDD.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
and since it's a sports game it will slide under the radar.

I'd normally agree because sites generally don't care about what happens with sports games or racers, but I think this is different because it's EA. They now have not only the industries eyes on them, but various governments as well. Their biggest mistake was putting that style of microtransation in one of the biggest entertainment IP's in history. Had they just plugged it into the likes of NFS or UFC then it would've likely allowed them to continue to fly under the radar.

Xaero Gravity

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any talk about being able to matchmake and exclude custom fighters? That would allow you to circumvent this bullshit.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Paying for a physical boost in a UFC match is nothing new, Jon Jones did it for years.

Last edited:

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So boycotting EA feels really easy if every game they make is actively grosser to play. It's not even morals at this point who the fuck would want to play a game like this?

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
I'd normally agree because sites generally don't care about what happens with sports games or racers, but I think this is different because it's EA. They now have not only the industries eyes on them, but various governments as well. Their biggest mistake was putting that style of microtransation in one of the biggest entertainment IP's in history. Had they just plugged it into the likes of NFS or UFC then it would've likely allowed them to continue to fly under the radar.
This is my take (and hope) as well. They deserve to be raked over the coals for this garbage.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck EA. I'll be so happy when they declare bankruptcy in some point of the future. I know it will not be soon, but in some point they will die and everyone will be happy.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Game wise the beta is pretty fun....but yes..there are loot boxes and although you can't currently buy them it's pretty clear there will be a pay to win option judging by the packs.

The xp gain system appears to be very similar to the battlefront beta so it will be interesting to see how this game gets launched

NiSEi

User requested self-ban.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously moves etc in a fighting game tied to mtx ? Really ?
Whats next ? Pay for gas in the next NFS ?

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
This game had no hope

It's coming too quickly after BFII to have any major changes to its progression

EA need to feverishly change as much as they can right now because this narrative has already gotten away from them. For the near future *any* EA title is going to be tainted, and this level of loot boxes and MTCs are only exacerbating the issue

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
This can't be real, right?

It's basically the same system that they introduced in NFS Payback. All of your upgrades (gearbox, ECU, brakes etc) are earned through cards. And you can either get these cards by winning an event, trading in three part tokens or by buying a premium shipment which will give you part tokens. In the game they also let you earn part tokens by trading in a card that you don't want, but you only get 1 part token for that. You can absolutely upgrade your car on your own through grinding, but it is a real grind. Just as an example, when I bought a car for the final chapter I had to spend around an hour and a half just doing the same race over and over to get it upgraded to the point where it was ready to tackle those final missions. And you have to do that with at least 4 different cars. The grind is slow enough that it'll make some just take the easy route and buy those premium shipments.

Oct 25, 2017
This is honestly so cartoonish that I legitimately thought for a moment that this was parody. Wow.

Me too! I assumed that this was an article from The Onion for a split second.

Alright, fuck it, Imma stop buying FIFA and just go buy PES every year until EA stops this shit. I can't believe that fucking Konami is the lesser of two evils here, but welcome to 2017, I guess.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh hey, they're doing that to you guys too?

Come join us over in the SW Battlefront II thread, we know all about this shit.

Although it sounds like the implementation in this game is even worse, which is hard to believe.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fucking EA....

I was literally just playing UFC2 a few days ago (cousin bought it on the PSN Black Friday sale for £7) and thinking I might pick up the new one when it released. I think I'll probably just avoid all EA games from here on out.

NFS, BFII and now UFC3 as well? Third times a strike.

I barely got to know you Anthem...

Nuclearaddict

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this feels really unresponsive, but I prefer some of the new controls over the previous games. Simple Submissions is kinda neat since I am terrible and terrified of the ground game in the other games. Head bobbing seems to work a lot better this year too.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I care :( I voted with my wallet and finally didn't buy it this year and they went on to sell more copies than last year lol.

I care too it's BS never buying a Take-Two game again either.

Will be buying that used / on a CD key gray market site. A good policy to adopt for EA games. Even if you buy it used on Day 1 for $55 instead of $60, that's money that they don't see.

Until you realize EA don't care about game sales and even just playing the game makes you vulnerable to the real way they make money.

Stove

Oct 27, 2017
Has there been any talk about being able to matchmake and exclude custom fighters? That would allow you to circumvent this bullshit.

Ultimate Fighter is separate to ranked, this stuff shouldn't affect ranked matchmaking. Just quick match and ultimate fighter.

If it's anything like UFC2, it probably won't appear in single player. Big problem if it does however..

I think it's important to note that Ultimate Fighter does not affect the rest of the game, it is very possible to just play the game normally without ever touching UF. It was like this in UFC2 and it was fine.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29237

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There really needs to be a special warning on the game box about this sort of thing. Just way too far for a paid title to go and pretty much invalidates the whole purpose of playing the game normally in the first place.

Sherbert

Oct 27, 2017
Terribly written, disingenuous article from a site I have, not surprisingly, never heard of before. It is a completely separate mode called Ultimate Team and no different to the previous game.

Jiro

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
It just gets worse and worse...

GIF-facepalm-no-Colin-Farrell-Sigh-OMG-Tired-Are-you-kidding-me-Are-you-fucking-kidding-me-Disappointed-GIF.gif

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
This is out of control.
This is honestly so cartoonish that I legitimately thought for a moment that this was parody. Wow.
It's only going to get worse from here. Every EA game will become even more heinous than Battlefront 2 ever was. And they won't be the only publisher on this bandwagon of greed out to prey on the weak, vulnerable and innocent with their Wilson lootboxes.

It's all about "player choice". You can choose to play these games for a 1,000 hours to be competitive. Or you can pay EA a 1,000 dollars and fast track the process like a fast pass at an amusement park. Pick your poison.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
So EA continues to ruin every single release. No matter how much users complain they refuse to learn a thing.

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
Ewwwwwwww

This level is too far beyond disgusting.

What's the point of playing fighting game anymore then ? I saw free mobile game that use this as BM but it isn't that worse compare to this which is exactly what "Wilson's Lootbox" model is.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Yep, fuck EA. I'm kind've glad they've effectively killed all the properties they made that I liked (and the teams that developed them) because now I don't need to see them all prostitute themselves like this.

It's a wonder Chess made it as long as it has without the ability to pay to upgrade all your pawns to queens right away.

Jtendo '82

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
Goddamn it. Ultimate Team was fine in UFC 2 there was no fucking need for this, EA. Fucking hell man, I've been playing videogames for 30 years and I want absolutely no part of this microtransaction, lootbox lottery bullshit.

And to think I bought Fifa on the Switch just to throw EA a bone hoping for a NHL or Madden port.