• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shugdaddy

Dec 1, 2017
With regards to Hall of greats and auto includes, I think one of advantage of them not doing it is the fun if 3 auto include games are brought to one session.

I hope someone brings back world of Warcraft when classic mode comes out. It's a game with flaws but was so huge.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
My idea to thin out the obvious choices for the Hall of Greats would be to allow the community to vote for a game. The top choice would then be put to a vote during the HoG stream. It would need every ally to give it their seal of approval. If a single ally disapproves, then it doesn't make the cut. There would be some games that are in the HoG now that wouldn't make the cut under this system (A Link to the Past is a pretty notable example), so we can be pretty certain that this is a truly effective way for only fast tracking universally loved games.

Me: Jareds dead!??!........................................................

Who was Jared again?

I would love to know if ANYONE remembered who Jared was.

Last edited:

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fast tracking games is a terrible idea and would suck all the fun out of HoG.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Fast tracking games is a terrible idea and would suck all the fun out of HoG.

En masse? I agree. However, I think there are a lot of ways you could do it in a more nuanced, subtle form. Truth be told, there are more amazing games than they will ever be able to induct into the HoG. They could make it a monthly thing, induct three games at a time, and in ten years the Hall of Greats would still be missing some incredible games.

However, just to be clear, I don't think it is something the Hall of Greats NEEDS. Things are pretty great right now.

Last edited:

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
So where did the Allies land on reacting to State of Plays? The first one was pretty lackluster, but if this one is already promising Medieval and a new title, is it worth cobbling together a panel to watch live? State of Plays to me seem like if they fall on a scheduled "shoot day" then they should probably hop on Twitch just in case, but otherwise they provide good items to cover in the podcast at the end of the week. But then again, the reaction videos are like free views for the channel - you never know what could be announced at these things.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
En masse? I agree. However, I think there are a lot of ways you could do it in a more nuanced, subtle form. Truth be told, there are more amazing games than they will ever be able to induct into the HoG. They could make it a monthly thing, induct three games at a time, and in ten years the Hall of Greats would still be missing some incredible games.

However, just to be clear, I don't think it is something the Hall of Greats NEEDS. Things are pretty great right now.

The fact that theres more great games then could ever be introduced is the whole point of the hall of greats though. It's not about inducting every game ever. There isnt an end goal. It's about a panel sitting down and hashing out what small number of games should be inducted from there pool of potential inductees. While yes on a long enough time line the list of games will reach 100+ games the hall of greats was never meant to be a "top 100 games of all time" list.

fargodog

Banned
Feb 24, 2019
The group high on Sekiro feels incredibly inflated. I remember they had similar reactions to Dark Souls 3 just after launch, and while they still obviously like it, they're much cooler on it now. I wouldn't be surprised if Sekiro goes the same way.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
So where did the Allies land on reacting to State of Plays? The first one was pretty lackluster, but if this one is already promising Medieval and a new title, is it worth cobbling together a panel to watch live? State of Plays to me seem like if they fall on a scheduled "shoot day" then they should probably hop on Twitch just in case, but otherwise they provide good items to cover in the podcast at the end of the week. But then again, the reaction videos are like free views for the channel - you never know what could be announced at these things.
It's weird, but I enjoyed the first State Of Play for what it was.
Yes, the games were nothing special, but I do think the format works (or should be able to work).

Just a quick update on a number of games you can expect on Playstation. Just like Nintendo does with their Directs.
It was just their first one and I'm sure they learned from it.

Not sure if the short time State Of Play takes is worth it for EZA to cover them Live or not, but I will for sure check it out if they do.
I do think EZA can bring some good discussions to that short video (they did last time anyway).

Also we are now closer to E3, so there is a chance for better announcements.

Last edited:

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that theres more great games then could ever be introduced is the whole point of the hall of greats though. It's not about inducting every game ever. There isnt an end goal. It's about a panel sitting down and hashing out what small number of games should be inducted from there pool of potential inductees. While yes on a long enough time line the list of games will reach 100+ games the hall of greats was never meant to be a "top 100 games of all time" list.

Sure. I'm just saying there will never be a concern of running out of games worth being in the HoG.

demu

AVALANCHE
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Huber said he would be there for every single one of them. But Huber says a lot of things. lol

MangoUltz

"This guy are sick"
Mar 24, 2019
Hope they react to State of Play. Like someone else said, I enjoy the format and now have expectations firmly set.

Had a long weekend here so been catching up on EZA stuff from the last week or so, they've had a long of good content this week. Excellent guests on Frame Trap and Friendcode and a great podcast this week.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
I really don't see the need to rush HoG with "obvious" choices. The show is fun because of the presentations and discussions/interrogations about the games and not what games end up being in it or deserve it. Simply filling the list with games just to "get it over with" is not nor should it ever be the point and would rob the show of its soul.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
don't know what's specifically with Trailer Jones, but man Jones doesn't let anyone get a word in.

It's weird how hurried he seems. A few times so far he's asked someone their opinion only to keep talking.
lol

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
I guess every single SEGA console released didn't have anything good enough on it to be called a Great, huh.

Until the sinful Ben Moore plays Panzer Dragoon Saga and atones for his crimes of course.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
what's the best sonic?

sonic 3?
maybe that will get in

I think you'd have to make the Sonic 2 play, because Sonic 3 & Knuckles may not count. You could perhaps pitch Sonic Jam (Sega Saturn) but I'm not sure if that would be in the spirit of the Hall. Games that should get in there:

-Panzer Dragoon Saga
-Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II
-Shenmue 1 or 2
-Streets of Rage 2 (Huber attempted)
-Sonic 2
-OutRun
a few years pass
-Yakuza 0

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
I think you'd have to make the Sonic 2 play, because Sonic 3 & Knuckles may not count. You could perhaps pitch Sonic Jam (Sega Saturn) but I'm not sure if that would be in the spirit of the Hall. Games that should get in there:

-Panzer Dragoon Saga
-Shenmue 1 or 2
-Sonic 2
-OutRun
a few years pass
-Yakuza 0
You are my favorite person.

Also, Zwei is the best 3D shmup of all time.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
This is me being a little bit prickly, but I'd be disappointed if a few of them aren't there to do State of Play reactions. It's a Thursday at 3pm for them and my hope is they'd already be using the studio anyways. The last State of Play got them 40k views on youtube and a substantial audience that watched it live with them on Twitch.

Also, IF something major were to be shown, it would be a real missed opportunity not having that on tape. Just like how it was a bummer when they weren't around when Cadence of Hyrule was dropped unexpectedly in that Indie Direct. Even if the State of Play is awful, that's still entertaining to watch as well. No need for a 30-minute pre and post-show for this, but it would be a bummer if this community is watching it elsewhere.

To be clear, if an event is going to be something they categorically aren't interested in (for instance, Borderlands 3 reveal), no need to assemble for one of those. But if it's of a caliber of a Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft, I really hope they make every effort to be around. Especially because it seems Sony is being kind of coy regarding what's on the agenda for this one.

-Panzer Dragoon Saga
-Shenmue 1 or 2
-Sonic 2
-OutRun
a few years pass
-Yakuza 0

Hah, I choose to look at this list from the bottom up. Yakuza 0 first, then a few years pass, then I'd be willing to go for some of those other games.

Xenoboy

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Trailer Jones would benefit more from being more frequent. 3 trailers is too limiting, and they pull the same thing at E3, only 3 trailers when so many more should be spotlighted

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Uniqlo created eza merch when? I doubt it will happen but I would love to buy some! I love all of the Nintendo shirts I've bought from them.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
Where was this discussed? Haven't watched Cup of Jones yet...internet has been out today after the crazy storms yesterday.

Oct 25, 2017
I think you'll get 1 person at home reacting to state of play. Thats it.

No one is gonna get in their car and drive all the way to the studio and set everything up, for 10 minutes.

Only way is if they have other business at the studio.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No one is gonna get in their car and drive all the way to the studio and set everything up, for 10 minutes.

i think thats a mistake, this will probably be sony event for e3, they say in the site "State of Play: episode 3 will return later in the year" i dont think they would say "later" if they had another state of play for e3 next month, but that's my interpretation.

edit: it seems shinji hashimoto has retweeted twice tweets about state of play, i asked about the account that's not verified, but this account is followed by both KH and FF official twitter accounts and Geoff Keighley.
https://twitter.com/shinjihashimot3

Last edited:

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018

I mean they did for 7 minutes of pokemon, had about an hour and a half of discussion about it and then shot a Friendcode about it...

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium

I guess you're right, but I would prefer it to be a discussion before and after as well.
That said, it's totally understandable after last time. I did think it was ok, like I said before, but getting to the studio for a 10 minute thing is probably a waste of time for most of the Allies if it's this short again. I believe Kyle has to drive an hour or so, so that's probably not a good use of time.

I do think they will probably show more this time because it's so close to E3, but it's obviously not a guarantee.
Maybe they will do an other one in a month, just before E3.

My guess is that they have read the criticism of their first one loud and clear and they will probably have at least one bigger game this time.

Last edited:

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I guess you're right, but I would prefer it to be a discussion before and after as well.
That said, it's totally understandable after last time. I did think it was ok, like I said before, but getting to the studio for a 10 minute thing is probably a waste of time for most of the Allies if it's this short again. I believe Kyle has to drive an hour or so, so that's probably not a good use of time.

I do think they will probably show more this time because it's so close to E3, but it's obviously not a guarantee.
Maybe they will do an other one in a month, just before E3.

My guess is that they have read the criticism of their first one loud and clear and they will probably have at least one bigger game this time.
Then again having a 40k video done in 2 hours with no real editing work required seems like a pretty damn good use of the Allies time.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean they did for 7 minutes of pokemon, had about an hour and a half of discussion about it and then shot a Friendcode about it...

If this was a 10 minute deep dive into death stranding or TLOU 2, then yes.

This is probably 5 minutes of medievil, a few indie games, and maybe a minute of Ff7 remake if we are lucky.

These are 2 different things.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
If this was a 10 minute deep dive into death stranding or TLOU 2, then yes.

This is probably 5 minutes of medievil, a few indie games, and maybe a minute of Ff7 remake if we are lucky.

These are 2 different things.
You say that as if a minute of FFVIIR wouldn't be bigger news than most of the E3 conferences next month. The mere mention of FFVIIR guarantees there'll be a stream. Come on.

Deleted member 51957

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Got a random question for y'all... I love Kyle and his takes. I want to hear is takes on newer games. Is my best bet to listen to his recent frame trap appearances, or is there anything else the allies do that I could listen to in which he is featured ?

e: outside of the podcast, of course

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I almost can't believe that they're a podcast sponsor. Like, UNIQLO??? The multi-national clothing chain? THAT Uniqlo? How did this even happen? I need details! And discount codes!

Discount codes would be great! It looks like they have street fighter, splatoon and monster hunter t-shirt collections hitting this month so that's probably the reason for the sponsorship. I highly recomend anybody that wears "gamer shirts" to check out there stuff. The graphic designs they use are often very modern compared to tour average shirt which is just a picture of the main charecter or game logo.

It's awesome to see eza land such a big sponsorship!

You say that as if a minute of FFVIIR wouldn't be bigger news than most of the E3 conferences next month. The mere mention of FFVIIR guarantees there'll be a stream. Come on.

It really wouldnt be... regardless your missing the point. There is no guarantee for what they are showing outside of medievil. If they said they were showing FF7 you would have a point. Saying that an old exclusive will be seen again isnt saying much. Its far more likely to be "wild" anyways, seeing how it was confirmed that the game is still in development earlier this year.

Got a random question for y'all... I love Kyle and his takes. I want to hear is takes on newer games. Is my best bet to listen to his recent frame trap appearances, or is there anything else the allies do that I could listen to in which he is featured ?

e: outside of the podcast, of course

He often talks about what hes been playing durring his Friday night streams. It's not like there are time codes so you would just have to listen to the whole stream and see what you can find.

Status
Not open for further replies.