• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I don't consider Knowing Star Fox is Nintendo and a guest character as hardcore. You're arguing a scenario where they're interested in Star link for the appeal of Star Fox but then walk away confused when it doesn't show up on PS4/Xbox.

It's like being concerned that about people thinking link will be in sc2 for PS2/Xbox

And really when they search to buy the product it'll be pretty obvious
Knowing Star Fox even exists is hardcore, let alone that it's a Nintendo franchise.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
In this case I think it would make sense to put "Switch Version" in the video title, just to make it clear the video is focusing on the Switch version specifically. Though the Star Fox content is obviously Nintendo exclusive, in other cases where the multi-platform differences aren't as obvious you would want to make it clear that the review only stands for that particular version of the game.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I think if that's the case then he probably shouldn't have reviewed it. I don't think that's fair on the game because that content isn't what the devs spent most of their time on and I don't think it's an accurate representation of what a lot of people will play. I'd happily listen to him talk about it on Friend Code but to frame almost the entire review around that content and compare it to actual Star Fox games is super weird.
Personally the only reason I'm interested in that game is Star Fox so the review is exactly what I was looking for. Other reviews are available.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
This FrameTrap was near flawless. Engaged and articulate guests, games covered were a perfect mix of old and new, Hottake was timely.
It has been a while since the last FrameTrap that ticked all those boxes for me.

Also etiquette was excellent in regards to taking time to expand on points and not cuttting somebody off mid sentence often.

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England
Slightly confused by the reaction to Damiani's Starlink review. Have had the Switch version on pre-order a couple of times (cancelled because just too expensive and the backlog too big) and the draw has always been Fox. Indeed the promotion of the Switch version has put Fox front and centre and it is Fox's ship that is part of the Starter pack. A Switch review has to take all this as the frame of reference and this is what Damiani's does. Probably if I was buying this game on another system I would check other reviews done on those systems. Or watch Brandon's PS4 stream if I wanted an EZA flavour.

Last edited:

Apal_ytos

Oct 29, 2017
Greece
This must be the worst review EZA ever published.
I barely got a sense of what the game is outside of Starfox.
What I got is that Damiani liked the Starfox content, wanted more of it, and wants Ubisoft to ditch the multiplatform franchise and make a console exclusive game.
I can't even trust his rating. Did he gave it that score because of what the game is, or because of what it isn't ( a Starfox game)?

Surprised and disappointed with EZA, I had their reviews at a higher standard.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
EZA would have never reviewed the game if it wasn't for the Star Fox content. And they're not alone, virtually all reviewers out there do the same. This is the draw for most people, and Ubisoft knows it very well since they heavily used Nintendo focused outlet during all their previews. Like it or not, Starlink was nothing to the enthusiast press (and the public who follow games) before Star Fox. I don't know where this review purity test comes from all of a sudden, but these videos have to be flexible enough to make the video relevant. Here Damiani judged that the Star Fox content was the most important for him and he made the video around it. There shouldn't be just one way to do a review.

I don't know it sounds like most people complaining about this just do it for the principle of the thing, What A Review Should Be or something. At least I'm glad nobody is pretending they had any interest for the game on PS4 and XB1.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Then don't review the game if you are not looking to inform about.. the game, and not only one aspect of it no matter how big you think it is.
But he reviewed the game... He talked about all kind of stuff in that video, not just Star Fox. He just framed it in a specific way. Again, we're back on this idea that reviews should be pure or something, like it didn't adhere to a code. It's weird.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Then don't review the game if you are not looking to inform about.. the game, and not only one aspect of it no matter how big you think it is.

What aspects of the game do you think were missed in the review? All the core gameplay mechanics were covered, the story was touched on, how switching weapons becomes key to battles later in the game. It mentions the visuals, it mentions the core gameplay loop, it mentions the music. It mentions that physical toys are optional. Not to single you out Tankard, so please understand I am not picking on you here, but do you feel that there was an aspect of the game that was overlooked, or were you looking for some other information out of this review?

Tankard

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
What aspects of the game do you think were missed in the review? All the core gameplay mechanics were covered, the story was touched on, how switching weapons becomes key to battles later in the game. It mentions the visuals, it mentions the core gameplay loop, it mentions the music. It mentions that physical toys are optional. Not to single you out Tankard, so please understand I am not picking on you here, but do you feel that there was an aspect of the game that was overlooked, or were you looking for some other information out of this review?

It touched upon different aspects but from a Star Fox perspective. It made me feel (clearly not alone) like the Fox is not only integration, but the game.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
It touched upon different aspects but from a Star Fox perspective. It made me feel (clearly not alone) like the Fox is not only integration, but the game.

If the footage of Fox had been replaced with gameplay from one of the other pilots, do you feel that the review would have left a different impression? Would you accept the argument that given the marketing for the Switch version of the game, including the Arwing bundle being sold, they want the player to feel this is a StarFox game?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have to agree that was a weird review. It was more like a "Should Star Fox fans play Starlink?" video feature.

Rezbit

Oct 26, 2017
Probably wasn't the best review ever but I'm not worried - one dodgy review in 150+ isn't a big deal to me, especially coming off Blood's SUPERB FH4 review.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
If the footage of Fox had been replaced with gameplay from one of the other pilots, do you feel that the review would have left a different impression? Would you accept the argument that given the marketing for the Switch version of the game, including the Arwing bundle being sold, they want the player to feel this is a StarFox game?

That's the point, he only used footage of Fox, all of it was from Fox, how people will not get confused in thinking Star Fox is there as a main feature of the game?

I get it, the only reason Damiani reviewed the game was Star Fox, if a Nintendo property is not attached to that game Damiani would have never touched it, but here's an idea, show the game with one of the main characters and don't make it a review for Star Fox fans.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's the point, he only used footage of Fox, all of it was from Fox, how people will not get confused in thinking Star Fox is there as a main feature of the game?

I get it, the only reason Damiani reviewed the game was Star Fox, if a Nintendo property is not attached to that game Damiani would have never touched it, but here's an idea, show the game with one of the main characters and don't make it a review for Star Fox fans.

Nah. The review is good as is. Other reviews are available if that's what you are looking for.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium

You're being overly dramatic. I agree that I felt the review was a bit weird as well as it focused a lot on Star Fox (especially the last paragraph/conclusion was weird), but he did talk about all the main points I got from the other review I watched on the game. I don't think he skipped important things to be honest. I thought the review was fine even though I would personally have tried to not focus as much on Star Fox. It was still a good review for the game itself (although it probably would have been a good idea to mention the differences for the Switch version compared to the other versions).

The thing that I don't agree with is that you say that Damiani only reviews Nintendo properties, which is just false.
From his last 3 reviews only this one was connected to Nintendo franchise and from his last 10 reviews only 4 were either connected to Nintendo (this one) or Nintendo properties (the 3 others).

I understand why a lot of you are disappointed in the review and I agree with some of the points, but it's not as big of a deal as lot of you make it out to be. You had a clear idea on what the game is and what it isn't.

There are plenty of other reviews to watch as well and it's honestly just a mediocre game to begin with that was probably going to fail hard if they didn't do this Star Fox thing (I hope for Ubisoft I get proven wrong on that, but I think they missed the boat on Toys-to-Life).

Last edited:

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
You're being overly dramatic. I agree that I felt the review was a bit weird as well as it focused a lot on Star Fox (especially the last paragraph/conclusion was weird), but he did talk about all the main points I got from the other review I watched on the game. I don't think he skipped important things to be honest. I thought the review was fine even though I would personally have tried to not focus as much on Star Fox. It was still a good review for the game itself (although it probably would have been a good idea to mention the differences for the Switch version compared to the other versions).

The thing that I don't agree with is that you say that Damiani only reviews Nintendo properties, which is just false.
From his last 3 reviews only this one was connected to Nintendo franchise and from his last 10 reviews only 4 were either connected to Nintendo (this one) or Nintendo properties (the 3 others).

I understand why a lot of you are disappointed in the review and I agree with some of the points, but it's not as big of a deal as lot of you make it out to be. There are plenty of other reviews to watch and it's honestly just a mediocre game to begin with that was probably going to fail hard if they didn't do this Star Fox thing (I hope for Ubisoft I get proven wrong on that, but I think they missed the boat on Toys-to-Life).

I never said that he only reviews Nintendo properties, I said that the main and only reason he reviewed this game was Star Fox.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I never said that he only reviews Nintendo properties, I said that the main and only reason he reviewed this game was Star Fox.
Ok, I misread you then.
I can't prove you are wrong on that one. It for sure is plausible.

I still think it's not as bad of a review as you make it out to be.
I think most of the feedback comes from people who want to play it on PS4 and who aren't sure if his score would be different if Star Fox wasn't in there (which is a valid point as I am not sure myself). That said, the conclusion did sound weird to me as well.

It seems clear to me what he things of the game and everything was relatively well explained, but I agree that it's unclear if the Star Fox part made a difference in the score or not (so if other versions would get the same score with their better graphics but the lack of Star Fox parts).

I still think most people are over-exaggerating that it's a "bad" review. It's a bit too much catered to the Switch version, which is normally not a big deal, but in this case there is too much of a gap between the version to not mention it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the review. I gotta lean towards the "review was not good" side

At the start I was like, "okay cool, he covered the starfox part for a couple of minutes now onto the game."
And surely he enough he did go onto the game, but then star fox kept on being mentioned repeatedly and it seemed a little bit overdone but not bad.
But the closing statement being THAT is what sealed the deal.
I don't know how that got through.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly FoxGate is tearing EZ-Era apart! ANYWAY, I for one am excited to see Ben and the gang try their hand at Blackout tonight. Talk about being curious for a review - I wonder how Ben will score this game. I have been incredibly impressed thus far watching on Twitch. It honestly blew away my meager expectations, but how do you factor in the "Blackout Pass" nonsense when scoring this game?

ShadyK54

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Starlink, of all games, causing all this ruckus. Never would've thought in a million years.

Anyhow, looking at the schedule, I still can't believe Box Peek is so close. Nearly a week away! Soooooo generous to come out the same day as a Fiasconauts as well.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Starlink, of all games, causing all this ruckus. Never would've thought in a million years.

Anyhow, looking at the schedule, I still can't believe Box Peek is so close. Nearly a week away! Soooooo generous to come out the same day as a Fiasconauts as well.

The end of this month is an embarrassment of riches! Box Peek, plus the Halloween stream, plus Fiasco? Plus RDR2 in real life? Feels good man.

Oct 25, 2017
wow...

I'll just say this. There are some people who have come to trust EZA reviews to the point where they ONLY watch them and not any other outlets to get a grasp on how a game is because they've been doing a great job over the years. The reason this is even a discussion right now is because this is an anomaly for them. The point of reviews is an evaluation of the game as a whole as well, so missing out on/not mentioning how a key feature of the game actually is, is without question, a legitimate oversight/failing of a review. Saying "go elsewhere" implies that this is how EZA generally operates which is not the case.

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England
I'd expect a review to talk about the quality of the features in the game. I have no idea how the mode is.
I knew the game had drop in drop out split screen co-op well before the review. It is not a reviewers job to checklist every feature in a game and I sincerely hope that is never the case. I just watched Damiani play the start of Switch Starlink and the Fox filter that the game presents itself through is fairly clear to see. Not even taking into account the fact that the only ship that comes with the base game is the Arwing.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I knew the game had drop in drop out split screen co-op well before the review. It is not a reviewers job to checklist every feature in a game and I sincerely hope that is never the case. I just watched Damiani play the start of Switch Starlink and the Fox filter that the game presents itself through is fairly clear to see. Not even taking into account the fact that the only ship that comes with the base game is the Arwing.

I don't expect a checklist, I'm not asking for specs, resolution, frame rate or anything like that. All I want to know is how it is. Just say it's forgettable if it is, say it adds nothing. A 2 player coop isn't some checkbox on the back of the box, but something that can transform a mediocre game into a fun time with a friend. But if it breaks progression, or is unplayable, maybe that should be played and mentioned.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be disappointed by their lack of a response to Rockstar on the podcast, aren't i

Jones posted a Tweet:

Again I think this falls under "what can you say" type of stuff. Everyone knows it happens, no one condones it or enjoys it. But Rockstar did come out and say this was an anomaly and they do not promote working extra hours continuously.

Oct 25, 2017
Even if they were to talk about Rockstar, they should probably hold off on it since Jason Schrier is working on an article with way more details that may flip around the conversation yet again after Rockstar's response.

Karu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't express how much the "what can you say"-attitude annoys and first and foremost saddens me.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I get both sides of wanting it/not wanting it on the podcast. Obviously people wanting it hoping it puts pressure on publishers with more voices. But on the other hand, there's nothing to really discuss other than that, so it does become a bit of a nothing segment.

Glad Jones has found an angle to talk about it on cup of Jones.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
Jones posted a Tweet:

Again I think this falls under "what can you say" type of stuff. Everyone knows it happens, no one condones it or enjoys it. But Rockstar did come out and say this was an anomaly and they do not promote working extra hours continuously.

I wonder does this mean Jones has talked with Kyle and Bosman doesn't want to cover it on the podcast? Because although it is maybe a 'what else can you say' type of discussion for now, the Allies always manage to find a nuanced way around these things. Kyle is 100% producer and host of the podcast so hopefully it's still a possible conversation point.

Karu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A good moderator takes the topic and makes it interesting. Saying crunch does not warrent a discussion in today's world or at anytime is a failure of the moderator and by extend the panel. That is my opinion, of course.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
A good moderator takes the topic and makes it interesting. Saying crunch does not warrent a discussion in today's world or at anytime is a failure of the moderator and by extend the panel. That is my opinion, of course.

I agree with you. This, to me, feels like the moment to do it as all eyes and ears are on Rockstar right now for better or worse, and the wider discussion deserves to be given its due on the biggest platform EZA can give it. And that's the podcast, not Cup of Jones.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Mass lay-offs everytime a studio closes also fall in the "What can you say?" category yet Kyle covers them. The Allies have also used podcast time to express solidarity with voice actors when those went on strike to fight for fairer treatment and a healthier work environment.

I've thought about poking Ben with a question because Frame Trap is probably a better venue to have a long discussion about crunch culture and the reviewer's role in it, but with the way the schedule lines up it won't be out in time to maybe balance out what'll probably be a gushing 9.5 or 10 for RDR2 and then we're fast heading towards hype season with Game Awards and GOTY pre-talk.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
wow...

I'll just say this. There are some people who have come to trust EZA reviews to the point where they ONLY watch them and not any other outlets to get a grasp on how a game is because they've been doing a great job over the years. The reason this is even a discussion right now is because this is an anomaly for them. The point of reviews is an evaluation of the game as a whole as well, so missing out on/not mentioning how a key feature of the game actually is, is without question, a legitimate oversight/failing of a review. Saying "go elsewhere" implies that this is how EZA generally operates which is not the case.

Some people in this community can't take any criticism towards EZA, some of them are rude and often tells you to go away or look somewhere else, like a couple of posts above you. It's a fair criticism and if we take out time to point it out is because we are used to a high standard within EZA reviews and we also want them to improve. Anyway, you can't change people childish behaviour so you just have to ignore it..

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I think if that's the case then he probably shouldn't have reviewed it. I don't think that's fair on the game because that content isn't what the devs spent most of their time on and I don't think it's an accurate representation of what a lot of people will play. I'd happily listen to him talk about it on Friend Code but to frame almost the entire review around that content and compare it to actual Star Fox games is super weird.

I'm not sure I'd go that far, but I did find it frustrating how little footage was shown with ships other then the R Wing, and it would have been nice to see what the game looks like on the more powerful consoles, because it seemed kinda ugly on Switch. I also would have liked to see footage and evaluations of the actual toys the game uses as part of the review.

EDIT: As to the idea they would not have reviewed the game if not for the Star Fox connection: Brandon has a long history covering toys to life, and there was interest in the game going back to the E3 before Fox was revealed as an inclusion.

Last edited:

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England
Half-remembered that this was the case but just checked the other reviews I read or watched of Starlink and only one mentions split screen co-op (the always excellent Sixthaxis). No mention by Andre in GameXplain's review nor in Eurogamer's review. The Eurogamer review is worth a read. Christian Donlan is a beautiful writer and always writes about his experience with a game.

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure I'd go that far, but I did find it frustrating how little footage was shown with ships other then the R Wing, and it would have been nice to see what the game looks like on the more powerful consoles, because it seemed kinda ugly on Switch. I also would have liked to see footage and evaluations of the actual toys the game uses as part of the review.

EDIT: As to the idea they would not have reviewed the game if not for the Star Fox connection: Brandon has a long history covering toys to life, and there was interest in the game going back to the E3 before Fox was revealed as an inclusion.
Each of them streamed the game yesterday as well, and Brandon particularly spent a lot of time with the toys and the PS4 version. While I totally get anyone disagreeing with how Damiani approached the review, it's very rare that we ever get the chance to include impressions from more than one version of the game within a review. From the outset, the plan was for Damiani to review the Switch version and for Brandon to stream on PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.