• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Okay,gave the proving grounds another shot and managed to open the door at the end...I fucking hope there is not another set of the same kind puzzle in the next area lol...also why does the only Hero Combo I have with Nowa and Lian not working anymore,when they both have enough SP to do it,it was working fine before(I took Liam out of the party for a while maybe ?)...is there a way to check what HC works with who or something.
I just came to this thread to bitch about this fucking dungeon. This is truly one of the most unfun things I have played in a long time….

Feb 16, 2022
The pause > fade to black when entering a cutscene is already annoying enough, it's even more ridiculous when the game gave you control only for you to walk 2 steps, then transition into another cutscene. Doubly so when it's back to back! The hell were they thinking.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Okay,gave the proving grounds another shot and managed to open the door at the end...I fucking hope there is not another set of the same kind puzzle in the next area lol...also why does the only Hero Combo I have with Nowa and Lian not working anymore,when they both have enough SP to do it,it was working fine before(I took Lian out of the party for a while maybe ?)...is there a way to check what HC works with who or something.
Nowa has to be in the front line and Lian in the back line for the combo to work. However combos seem either bugged or just not balanced well as doing both their attacks separately will hit harder then the combo. The only benefit is it works based on the fastest party member.

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
70 hours later and all 120 heroes recruited, i finished the game. Overall i'm very satisfied with how the game turned and i'm really glad to i was a backer. Seen my name in the credits was pretty awesome.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
As much as I complain about a bunch of things in this game, Proving Grounds wasn't one of them. I don't know why this dungeon gets so much hate. Just watch where the blocks are in place and look at the minimap?

That said, having two back-to-back bosses in there is a bit of a dick move, thank god I had a rune of return lol, all my resources were drained in Hard mode :P

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Nowa has to be in the front line and Lian in the back line for the combo to work. However combos seem either bugged or just not balanced well as doing both their attacks separately will hit harder then the combo. The only benefit is it works based on the fastest party member.

Oh damn,thats why,thanks...I switched Nowa in the back with her when I got tankier guys to put in front,and good to know about the damage.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
Yeah, I actually thought the Proving Grounds was a solid dungeon. It never seemed very complicated to get through the main path, just spin the blocks until you see the blue line coming from the device lead to a place you haven't been yet.

Going after the side stuff gets more involved, but it felt pretty cool when I wondered if I could go backwards to reach new areas and then found out it actually worked like that.

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
Proving Grounds is indeed an awesome dungeon. And it is designed in a way you can return back to town to heal anytime without much backtracking.
The bosses though... ugh, but I managed to cheese them on hard mode with items.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Proving Grounds is a lot less tedious if you use the map to see how the paths change, and also use teleport items to quickly go back to the entrance rather than having to constantly backtrack.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
What's unforgivable for me with the proving grounds is the encounter rate. I'm totally fine with puzzle dungeons, infact I wish games did them more, but I got incredibly irritated by the encounters while doing them.

I wish I'd played the game more while the encounter rate was tied to refresh rate, at least I could control it bravely default style, lol.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
What's unforgivable for me with the proving grounds is the encounter rate. I'm totally fine with puzzle dungeons, infact I wish games did them more, but I got incredibly irritated by the encounters while doing them.

I wish I'd played the game more while the encounter rate was tied to refresh rate, at least I could control it bravely default style, lol.

When you unlock the accessory shop at your base, you can buy a 50% encounter rate reduction accessory (or a +50% rate one).

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
70 hours later and all 120 heroes recruited, i finished the game. Overall i'm very satisfied with how the game turned and i'm really glad to i was a backer. Seen my name in the credits was pretty awesome.
So cool to hear! Congrats! I'm looking forward to getting back to this.

I got inspired to go back and finish Suikoden 2, and I'm (looking at a basic outline) probably about 60% through it (~23 hours in). Not sure if I'm going for all 108 on this playthrough or if I'll just finish it naturally and then do a second playthrough to 100% it like I did the first game. Same goes for Eiyuden.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
There is nothing else in the game like the Proving Grounds thank god. Unless there is something at the very end. I'm just wrapping up the last few characters tied to mini games and then I'm done.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I thought the encounter rate was a little high at first but felt fine because the early segments were small dungeons & brief forays on the world map. Then I got to the mine which was drastically longer than the previous dungeons and also had some minor (miner) puzzles, but the encounter rate was unchanged, and it felt terrible.

Glad to know there's a random encounter reduction accessory later on.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
These cooking battles are so boring. It's a shame this and Beigoma (which I actually kinda like) get full quest storylines, but the card game seemingly doesn't.

Speaking of Beigoma, I'm through three of the E4 now before advancing the plot past Hishahn. I was surprised that some of my 2* tops were able to hold their own against 3*s (thanks to winning clashes mostly).

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
The Cooking Battles wouldn't be boring if the recipes weren't bugged and all the slots acting like appetizers. It was one of the more enjoyable aspects from Suikoden II. So it's a bit baffling how they messed it up so badly in Eiyuden.

Oct 25, 2017
The pause > fade to black when entering a cutscene is already annoying enough, it's even more ridiculous when the game gave you control only for you to walk 2 steps, then transition into another cutscene. Doubly so when it's back to back! The hell were they thinking.

i'm 30 hours in and it doesn't get any better in this regard lmao

so many questionable decisions, i really don't understand

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.

View: https://imgur.com/a/f0lhqKM

Done with the game! Also, first to complete it on TrueAchievements if they decided to removed the cheater that did their completion in 5 minutes.

Nice nice,grats.

Phew,done with Proving,thank god and also thanks to a small spoiler here,it saved me from another rage quit rant haha...now I need to get back in the mines,but from the start hopefully on the World map because I found the Shield for a guy.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Proving Grounds is nothing compared to catching this goddamn Wheel-Eye Bream. I think I've cleared the area about 20 times so far.

Lbbaker

May 21, 2018
Okay where the hell do I get more beigoma. I've played for hours since doing the initial battle with Reid and I still only have the first top and the two practice tops. I have not gotten a single one from monster drops.

Khalid

Oct 25, 2017
Grats!

I didn't look at the achievement list thread for fear of spoilers, but was there any one in particular that stuck out as difficult or missable?
Only missable is the collect all characters, cause you can miss the 120th one, if you don't have all the other at one point in story ( like at 85% point of the game). Also, the story is different a bit if you have all characters or not.
Everything is obtainable after you are done with the game. Nothing difficult, but all the mini games + collecting all the chest are really time consumming.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I've exhausted the relevant fishing spot twice and still haven't caught the fish requested by Huang. Literally had to stop a third after being told my resources were full.

Khalid

Oct 25, 2017
I've exhausted the relevant fishing spot twice and still haven't caught the fish requested by Huang. Literally had to stop a third after being told my resources were full.
There is one spot outside the cavern where it's where it's pretty rare. I think that fish is more common inside the seaside carvern.

eiyuden-chronicle-hundred-heroes-seaside-cavern-fishing-spot-location.jpg

BeepBoop

Nov 24, 2019
Okay where the hell do I get more beigoma. I've played for hours since doing the initial battle with Reid and I still only have the first top and the two practice tops. I have not gotten a single one from monster drops.

They pretty much only come from monster drops, either need to grind the monsters that can drop them (would look up a guide list of monster / location / drop), it helps a lot if you equip the Lucky Badge and/or the higher versions, they massively boost drop rate from battles, the difference between using that accessory and not is like 0 drops vs like 3+ per battle

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I'm around mid-game I think. Anyone have any recommended characters to try out and train up?

Characters I've used and kind of like.
Kuroto, Yusuke, Iugo, Sabine, Garr, Lian, Lam, Milana, Falward.

There are some characters who I kind of like for their dialogue but just struggle to keep on my team. Mio for example feels weaker than majority of my other front liners. Even Kuroto does a better job on the front line due to his health, defense and armor. He also hits harder and can reach the backline. Is similar in speed to my Mio in similar levels and he can cast spells if he needs including buffs. Or to compare Mio to Lian, they are both quick and squishy. Lian however can bypass armor on her skill, she frequently stuns enemies and has medium range meaning she can sit in the back line for a minor bit of protection or hit the pesky back line enemies when placed in front.

Francheska I'm mixed on. Her survivability is pretty much the lowest from all the characters I've tried. Her saving grace seems to be going last as a healer allows her to top up the team after taking damage. This... isn't that useful. Having Falward for the combo heal is great but now we take two slots. The sustain here is superb as Falward covers the early heals if necessary but I find I can make do without Fran just as easily. I do like having her around yelling obscenities at the enemies. I think giving her low HP with better armor and maybe a shield might have been better. She is a bit of a necessity early on but now I'm spoilt for choice, just looking at all the potential candidates most already look better or comparable. Giving Kuroto the water rune is honestly probably a better slot in the party.

Thinking of trying out Leon, Hakugin, Gieran and Quinn.

Feb 16, 2022
i'm 30 hours in and it doesn't get any better in this regard lmao

so many questionable decisions, i really don't understand
So many stuff does make me wonder if the creators themselves tried playing the game. Just minor stuff like the fade to black thing should've prompted a "Hey, this feels kinda awful, no?" at least. Especially since Suikoden definitely didn't have that weird quirk.

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
I'm around mid-game I think. Anyone have any recommended characters to try out and train up?

Characters I've used and kind of like.
Kuroto, Yusuke, Iugo, Sabine, Garr, Lian, Lam, Milana, Falward.

There are some characters who I kind of like for their dialogue but just struggle to keep on my team. Mio for example feels weaker than majority of my other front liners. Even Kuroto does a better job on the front line due to his health, defense and armor. He also hits harder and can reach the backline. Is similar in speed to my Mio in similar levels and he can cast spells if he needs including buffs. Or to compare Mio to Lian, they are both quick and squishy. Lian however can bypass armor on her skill, she frequently stuns enemies and has medium range meaning she can sit in the back line for a minor bit of protection or hit the pesky back line enemies when placed in front.

Francheska I'm mixed on. Her survivability is pretty much the lowest from all the characters I've tried. Her saving grace seems to be going last as a healer allows her to top up the team after taking damage. This... isn't that useful. Having Falward for the combo heal is great but now we take two slots. The sustain here is superb as Falward covers the early heals if necessary but I find I can make do without Fran just as easily. I do like having her around yelling obscenities at the enemies. I think giving her low HP with better armor and maybe a shield might have been better. She is a bit of a necessity early on but now I'm spoilt for choice, just looking at all the potential candidates most already look better or comparable. Giving Kuroto the water rune is honestly probably a better slot in the party.

Thinking of trying out Leon, Hakugin, Gieran and Quinn.

Since you have Quinn that means you can get Isha and Yuferius. Both are top 10 characters in the game powerwise. Hakugin is also great until level 60-ish where she suddenly hits a wall in stat growth (same as Yusuke).

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Was only missing one character... but nah, fuck this shit, lmao

having to do 15 cooking battles while waiting 15 minutes between each? No thanks... Had to watch the true end on youtube and.... barely anything change, so underwhelming

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
am I able to get back into yarnaan eventually? I'm trying to do the Sayid Ali stuff but I get kicked out of yarnaan at the moment for story reasons and thats his next destination. Did I just miss out on this?

Is there another way to get the highest tier Light rune?

BhetjaXIV

Sep 8, 2018
Belgium
Hoooooly shit this is driving me nuts

The Diradhe duel is bullshit??
I started doing it without a guide, a few tries to figure out which prompt gave me the least damage, but always ended up dying right before I killed the boss. Some runs I was lucky and managed to go into Phase 2 with 3/4 of my health, now I'm just super unlucky in Phase 1 and can't start Phase 2 without my health being half depleted.

I also looked up online for the correct prompts and I still can't get past it because some dumb RNG luck......

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Hoooooly shit this is driving me nuts

The Diradhe duel is bullshit??
I started doing it without a guide, a few tries to figure out which prompt gave me the least damage, but always ended up dying right before I killed the boss. Some runs I was lucky and managed to go into Phase 2 with 3/4 of my health, now I'm just super unlucky in Phase 1 and can't start Phase 2 without my health being half depleted.

I also looked up online for the correct prompts and I still can't get past it because some dumb RNG luck......

The duels are probably the worst part of the game in terms of balance. Worst in the series.

Which is a shame, because aesthetically they're beautiful.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati

Yeah it's super annoying, honestly, I haven't been playing it much because of stuff like this. The core of the game seems good and I like it but man, does it have so many irrating little things. Hopefully I get back into it enough to finish but at this point I play for like 10 minutes and lose interest and turn it off.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
That's the gift and the curse of a fully voiced game. *Shrug* The fade to black thing has never bothered me.

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Man recruiting Carrie was a chore. I'd already encountered her a couple times, so I suspected that you just had to walk around the town some more until she appeared again, which I did but nothing happened. I ended up leaving, re-exploring the area, talking to all the NPCs in the area again, and finally after coming back to the town an hour later feeling annoyed and frustrated, she appeared again.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Man recruiting Carrie was a chore. I'd already encountered her a couple times, so I suspected that you just had to walk around the town some more until she appeared again, which I did but nothing happened. I ended up leaving, re-exploring the area, talking to all the NPCs in the area again, and finally after coming back to the town an hour later feeling annoyed and frustrated, she appeared again.

She only appears at the bridges. Just need to cross all the different bridges in town and that is how she shows up.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
I'm about 18h in the game and i think i can say that this is the Suikoden's spiritual sucessor i've been waiting for.

Beautiful graphics, they did a very good job blending 3D and 2D in a very unique way imo, excellent sprite work specially considering the number of characters, i've been playing it on a 4K OLED TV and i think it's overall gorgeous, Yarnan is the highlight so far. Great cast, with great designs and voice acting across the board. Fun battle system and the gimmick system make boss battles quite interesting. About the main story, i will need to actually complete to give an opinion, but, so far it's enjoyable while nothing mindblowing, Perriele is the highlight. While there are some flaws, specially on the QoL side of things, I hope this game finds success and that they continue to expand upon this universe.

Small question, is there an Detective to be recruited this time around? i loved unveling information about the side characters through the detective reports in the Suikoden games.

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
Alright I have tried naturally to get Clarke for too long. Is there a cheese strat for this stupid play? Saving and reloading doesn't seem to change the shop stock but maybe I need to leave the city?

I keep stopping back every half hour and it's never there!

Khalid

Oct 25, 2017
Alright I have tried naturally to get Clarke for too long. Is there a cheese strat for this stupid play? Saving and reloading doesn't seem to change the shop stock but maybe I need to leave the city?

I keep stopping back every half hour and it's never there!
The shop refresh after 30 minutes from the last time you check. If you save after 30 minutes has pass, then you can save and reload. If you are save reloading after already checking and 30 minutes in-game has not pass yet, it will do nothing.

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
The shop refresh after 30 minutes from the last time you check. If you save after 30 minutes has pass, then you can save and reload. If you are save reloading after already checking and 30 minutes in-game has not pass yet, it will do nothing.
I swear I am doing this, but maybe it wasn't actually 30 minutes haha. I'll set a timer and go again