• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FolderBrad

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone made ANY sense of the auto battle scripting commands? No explanation on what any of this stuff does, or am I missing a help prompt?

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I think Suikoden fans will be kind to this game because we miss Suikoden. And its charm is working, and it's starting to grow on me.

But I also don't think this game is going to get amazing scores. It's incredibly messy in so many places. It feels like I'm playing a PS1 RPG in some of the bad ways. It feels budget and dated and desperately needs some more QoL with dialog and UI and whatnot. It just doesn't feel like any jrpg from a bigger studio or even indie dev would get away with some of the things this game is doing or lacking.

Such a let down to hear. I was cheering hard for this game as a huge Suikoden fan.

Mar 11, 2020
Don't know what is it but enemies seem to always target Lian. She seems fairly fragile despite being one of the better medium range fighters. I have her decked out with the best possible equipment for a given area but she seems to always be targeted the most. I lost count the amount of Healing Herbs I used on her.
If u are playing on hard i have noticed ai does target squishier party members more often. Gotta use tank skills or cc

I had one boss just constantly attacking my healer with all their attacks each turn lol every time i rezzed them

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
If u are playing on hard i have noticed ai does target squishier paty members more often.

I had one boss just constantly attacking my healer with all their attacks each turn lol every time i rezzed them

Yeah, Hard AI is dirty. You really gotta pay attention to turn order if you ever want to rez someone without them immediately dying again.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I don't like is the ridiculous MP costs for spells.

This is a classic JRPG pitfall of discouraging players to use what is available to them and limited options

It would be different if it implemented a more modern and sensible way to essentially REBUILD your MP pool throughout a long fight

In the end it just makes more only use spells sparingly or in boss fights only.

I dunno how you build a game in the same timeframe as Song of Stars and not realize that things can be done better

I think Suikoden fans will be kind to this game because we miss Suikoden. And its charm is working, and it's starting to grow on me.

But I also don't think this game is going to get amazing scores. It's incredibly messy in so many places. It feels like I'm playing a PS1 RPG in some of the bad ways. It feels budget and dated and desperately needs some more QoL with dialog and UI and whatnot. It just doesn't feel like any jrpg from a bigger studio or even indie dev would get away with some of the things this game is doing or lacking.

The criticisms are gonna come hard and fast. This game, while vey fun and charming so far, is very much behind the curve. While I get they were intentionally building a spiritual successor to Suikoden (and I am sure many will forgive many of its shortcomings to play another game like this) it is really hard for me to not see this effort not fully realizing its potential

I am still pretty early though and from what I have read on impressions this game is very much a slow burn as it improves over time.

Mar 11, 2020
Such a let down to hear. I was cheering hard for this game as a huge Suikoden fan.
If u are a huge Suikoden fan, i am pretty sure you will still love it.

I get a lot of the complaints and i have some myself, but i also think they are being a bit overblown

This is a classic JRPG pitfall of discouraging players to use what is available to them and limited options

It would be different if it implemented a more modern and sensible way to essentially REBUILD your MP pool throughout a long fight

In the end it just makes more only use spells sparingly or in boss fights only.
I had the same thought with that point, but i did notice healing items are stupid cheap all things considered so i think it's intended to be restocking and actually using those instead of hoarding until you get to bosses. I keep 16 or more party healing herbs on hand constantly.

Kinda makes sense with the limited bag space.

Also certain hero combos can heal or attack magic without spending mp.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
So the thing with Iugo seems to be the counter only happens if he evades the attack, it's poorly communicated (same with You this and him protecting allies yet he never covers).

Things seem vague or poorly stated and there is probably a stat that helps but I don't know if it'd be luck or dexterity if they even help at all. I like the idea tanky characters to draw agro but it seems like they kind of don't work.

Mar 11, 2020
So the thing with Iugo seems to be the counter only happens if he evades the attack, it's poorly communicated (same with You this and him protecting allies yet he never covers).

Things seem vague or poorly stated and there is probably a stat that helps but I don't know if it'd be luck or dexterity if they even help at all. I like the idea tanky characters to draw agro but it seems like they kind of don't work.
Aggro draw is def noticable on hard and works. Obv it's not 100% and like u said may be affected by a stat.

I will have to see if i can get his evasion up to see if that is the case cause like i said earlier it seems more chance to counter and i even got an accessory that ups chance to counter. But that is a good thought that the fact he takes no damage when he does counter means it might be based on him evading. Will have to test that cause i really like using him.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

If its Tied to Evasion then maybe there is evasion gear or runes in the game at some point? Either way he still has to draw attacks and his "provoke" is dubious. He seems like he would make for a great evasion counter tank once you can get him to actually work. Going to bench him until I can actually get him what he needs then

Yusuke... is probably the strongest first recruit you can get next to Francesca. He is an absolute monster

Mar 11, 2020
If its Tied to Evasion then maybe there is evasion gear or runes in the game at some point? Either way he still has to draw attacks and his "provoke" is dubious. He seems like he would make for a great evasion counter tank once you can get him to actually work. Going to bench him until I can actually get him what he needs then

Yusuke... is probably the strongest first recruit you can get next to Francesca. He is an absolute monster
His provoke does work. It's not 100%, but i can for sure tell he gets attacked more than my squishy characters when i use it. If it was 100% it would be super broken.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017

This wouldn't be a problem if they stuck to the way Suikoden did it.

Each spell has no resource cost but rather a set amount of uses per rest so you can't just spam or recover your strongest attack.

I feel like if theres anything Suikoden needed, it definitely wasn't a more generic MP system.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I didn't back and the only Suikoden I've played is Tierkreis (so I'm not exactly a series fan), and reading impressions is making me think maybe I want to hold off at launch for a bit in case of QoL/polish updates.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
This wouldn't be a problem if they stuck to the way Suikoden did it.

Each spell has no resource cost but rather a set amount of uses per rest so you can't just spam or recover your strongest attack.

I feel like if theres anything Suikoden needed, it definitely wasn't a more generic MP system.

I agree, the Suikoden magic system would be very preferable.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Does Eiyuden have anything like the 27 true runes?

They were such a fantastic concept and made you feel like a real badass/unique power player in the universe versus some scrappy humble dude.

Well, that and having command of a huge fortress but I already know they brought that back.

Mar 11, 2020
Does Eiyuden have anything like the 27 true runes?

They were such a fantastic concept and made you feel like a real badass/unique power player in the universe versus some scrappy humble dude.

Well, that and having command of a huge fortress but I already know they brought that back.
Certain characters do have unique lens that do skills unique to that character which does a similar role to the 27 true runes. Story wise idk yet myself though, there's some elements of the story that might be similar as well.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I didn't back and the only Suikoden I've played is Tierkreis (so I'm not exactly a series fan), and reading impressions is making me think maybe I want to hold off at launch for a bit in case of QoL/polish updates.

Tierkreis is absolutely not the standard most folks hold in regard when it comes to Suikoden. The mainline series, especially I and II are the expectation people are talking about when it comes to Eiyuden and for the most part it holds up well in that regard.

But seriously though, folks really gotta play the Suikoden I and II Re-release once it comes out, or play the original I and II now. PSX emulation is incredibly well documented and both games run flawlessly on a wide variety of hardware from Android handhelds to more modern stuff. Definitely worth a playthrough.

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
My friend gave up and is playing without the patch since this is his day off work. I'm just waiting and being safe lol

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Oh I actually enjoyed Tierkreis, but I know it's not the standard Suikoden experience, which is why I said I can't call myself a series fan just from that game.

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
I've never played a Suikoden game in my life and I'm really liking it so far. *shrugs*

Contrary to what some posters think, I wouldn't be surprised if Suikoden fans are the ones that ended up being the most critical about this game. Many are already critical about the music and I was critical about it all the way back in 2020 when some samples were shown and the composers were revealed. Suikoden 2 also spoiled me in terms of loading times / responsiveness / snappy UI such that I knew I cannot take any compromise and hence backed the native version that is PC.
I worry on behalf of Japan which will be the biggest market for this game and most will be playing the inferior Switch version, but it would be great if my worries were unfounded due to my high expectations and most will find the performance on Switch not a big deal.

I haven't played beyond the beta since I don't have my code yet, but I'm certainly expecting myself to compare against Suikoden 2 a lot and being critical in many areas.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Just Had Yusuke Crit for 224 damage on a single basic attack with one charge.

My god I don't think I will ever take him off my team

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Is there any fast travel? All this backtracking is getting old.

Musai

Oct 31, 2017
Canada
I didn't see it being discussed, but the Eiyuden steamDB page has a bunch of branches that were updated 17 hours ago. So something is getting ready to go live, and it's reasonable to assume it's an update at very least (if not the update, or series of patches, whatever they've called it on their end) I've played about 4 hours but I'm skittish to keep going because of Rabbit and Bear's warning to not play until the patch.

Edit: Yeah, I know people have probably figured out the bug in question, but I'm still worried I'm going to find another one, lol.

It is extremely, unabashedly Suikoden (in a good and bad way)

Gans

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie, 6 hours in and game is fun, but damn it looks rough as heck in some things, even the ui, world map, etc looks super unpolished. It works, but some things feel like ps1.

Feb 15, 2019
I didn't see it being discussed, but the Eiyuden steamDB page has a bunch of branches that were updated 17 hours ago. So something is getting ready to go live, and it's reasonable to assume it's an update at very least (if not the update, or series of patches, whatever they've called it on their end) I've played about 4 hours but I'm skittish to keep going because of Rabbit and Bear's warning to not play until the patch.

Edit: Yeah, I know people have probably figured out the bug in question, but I'm still worried I'm going to find another one, lol.

It is extremely, unabashedly Suikoden (in a good and bad way)

I hope so, I'm itching to play but even in their tweet where they said they'd work on additional patches in time for the backer's EA, they still tell people it's better to wait.

I honestly wish there was just a bit better communication here, I'm not expecting them to reach all these deadlines when they've seemingly had a bunch of issues with like physical distribution and stuff all pop up so I don't mind at all if the patch is late. I just wish they'd keep us up to date.

Musai

Oct 31, 2017
Canada
I honestly wish there was just a bit better communication here, I'm not expecting them to reach all these deadlines when they've seemingly had a bunch of issues with like physical distribution and stuff all pop up so I don't mind at all if the patch is late. I just wish they'd keep us up to date.

Yeah, it's definitely been a bit of a pain point, but also pretty much par for the course. At this point, I'd be more surprised to see a KS project with flawless communication throughout.

Add in the fact Rabbit and Bear is working in JST and it's like asking for miscommunication and delays to happen. Not excusing it, but that's probably the reason things are so scattershot.

Shad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like it so far but the lack of attacks playing out simultaneously is sad.
This has probably been my number 1 non-bug issue so far. I could have sworn earlier footage (or mockup footage) had this in the game. You can see glimpses of where it tries to work, like I had one character about to kill an enemy and as he jumped to do that, the camera had already zoomed in on the next enemy that was going to get hit.

Feb 15, 2019
Yeah, it's definitely been a bit of a pain point, but also pretty much par for the course. At this point, I'd be more surprised to see a KS project with flawless communication throughout.

Add in the fact Rabbit and Bear is working in JST and it's like asking for miscommunication and delays to happen. Not excusing it, but that's probably the reason things are so scattershot.

Yeah I understand why and I don't mind delays, just you know, a liiitle bit better communication. At this point I just hope I'm kinda going to at least be able to use my backer's early access even a little.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
This has probably been my number 1 non-bug issue so far. I could have sworn earlier footage (or mockup footage) had this in the game. You can see glimpses of where it tries to work, like I had one character about to kill an enemy and as he jumped to do that, the camera had already zoomed in on the next enemy that was going to get hit.

Ive seen it happen a few times if your teammates are all targeting the same enemy in sequence. Especially if they have different weapon types/animations

Archers and mages fire off quickly so their animations chain more easily while a lot pf the melee units have giant wind up animations

I dunno!

FolderBrad

Oct 25, 2017
Will bag size get larger at some point??

Also, does anyone know what any of the auto battle stuff actually means?

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Will bag size get larger at some point??

Also, does anyone know what any of the auto battle stuff actually means?
Conserve resources means don't use items or mp. Action limits sets the actions the ai will use. If you want them to just attack use attack only otherwise I have it set to attack until the build up 3 sp for a special. The next section gives attach priority if you don't have it restricted above. Last let's you effect enemy targeting.