BeepBoop

Nov 24, 2019
Just checked Amazon.jp and, I learned three things:
1) NSW version is clearly the biggest seller out of the SKUs with many times more reviews.
2) The game is getting slammed consumer review wise, mainly due to performance issues. (Wholly expectedly. J gamers do not suffer multiple bugs lightly.)
3) Rising got a physical version in Japan! (What gives, man!?)

Rising got a physical PS4, PS5 and Switch release in America too

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Rising got a physical PS4, PS5 and Switch release in America too
Yeah, and this is why I hope there's a performance update to the Switch version, because that's the one I've wanted from the start. I'd like to have it to go with my copy of Rising for my physical collection. Keeping the optimism up and my fingers crossed. 🤞

BeepBoop

Nov 24, 2019
Yeah, and this is why I hope there's a performance update to the Switch version, because that's the one I've wanted from the start. I'd like to have it to go with my copy of Rising for my physical collection. Keeping the optimism up and my fingers crossed. 🤞

Yea, same, the Switch version isn't out for like 12? more days Physical, thinking if want it for collection even though the version is kinda bad atm

boybrushdRED

Oct 26, 2017
Philippines
I just found out that I missed the missable recruit and can't recruit all 120 characters in my current playthrough.. Now I have to wait until NG+ for my true ending. Feels bad.

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
You all weren't kidding about this place. I beat the Golem and that angel duo boss but it's late so I'm calling it there. I'm hoping that's the last of it and the rest is just story. Some trial/error with the hallways but it wasn't too bad.....but I was starting to Flee encounters near the end, and getting annoyed when I "Couldn't Escape" and just giving the enemies free damage. Really am feeling an Encounter Rate Setting would help with things like that.

As for the boss itself, once again found myself chugging my stockpile of healing items to brute force the fight. Yusuke was, once again, the MVP. The AOE instant attack from the angel was also stupid, which is what caused the overuse of healing items. But whatever, it's done now. I just don't know how else I'd approach the fight apart from Charging Yusuke........again.

I haven't used Charge Up (on Hard) since before Proving Grounds, nothing really has been unbearable - I think it's just slower, maybe. I have been using both (characters you have access to) Falward/Francesca though.They both pack a pretty good punch with regular attacks as long as you keep their stuff forged, and their speed difference helps a lot - one typically moves before and the other after bosses.

Although the boss that you just fought is still the one I had the most trouble with so far and I'm quite a bit past there.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I haven't used Charge Up (on Hard) since before Proving Grounds, nothing really has been unbearable - I think it's just slower, maybe. I have been using both (characters you have access to) Falward/Francesca though.They both pack a pretty good punch with regular attacks as long as you keep their stuff forged, and their speed difference helps a lot - one typically moves before and the other after bosses.

Although the boss that you just fought is still the one I had the most trouble with so far and I'm quite a bit past there.

Okay I'm about to sound really dumb....

But after I got my base I only recruited two people before going to the Treefolk, Martha in the city proper and the lumberjack lady.

Was.......was I supposed to head into the well and go back to the previous set of cities? 🤣

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
Okay I'm about to sound really dumb....

But after I got my base I only recruited two people before going to the Treefolk, Martha in the city proper and the lumberjack lady.

Was.......was I supposed to head into the well and go back to the previous set of cities? 🤣
You could have, but since you're where you are, I'd recommend proceeding to (location spoiler only) Hishahn in Euchrisse instead. You'll find something nice.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
I am not even going to try hard to get all characters first time. I will probably play this game many times.Might as well see the "bad" ending or whatever first time. Have something to look forward to next time.

hsojlightfoot

AVALANCHE
Apr 6, 2020
Wanna get this at some point because I loved the older suikoden games.

How's the story?
Is it long?
Voice acting or text only?

How's switch version performance wise? Probably just get on ps5.

Oct 26, 2017
Wanna get this at some point because I loved the older suikoden games.

How's the story?
Is it long?

How's switch version performance wise? Probably just get on ps5.

The story is nice. It's not as well written and original as S2, but somewhere around S1 with a fairly straightforward one. I would say the main story is not the major draw, it's all the tiny substories of characters that you find snippets of (just as in Suikoden).

I've been playing 50+ hours, but you could probably finish it much faster if you don't care for building your castle or finding all recruits.

Completely voice acted except for a few minor things. Although there's a bug that seems to remove voice acting if you keep the game suspended instead of closing it down. Most other bugs have been fixed by now though, so they'll probably get around to it.

Switch is very poor performance, especially loading. They never wanted to release it on it to begin with, but had to settle for it since Switch 2 keeps not turning up. And the engine is nowhere near optimized for low performance.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
More than serviceable. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it does the job, which is something many games (and movies for what it's worth) fail to achieve these days.

Probably around 40h beelining. Triple that (easily) for all side content, especially minigames which can be time consuming.

Almost entirely voice acted (in Japanese at least, but I don't see why it'd be different for the English dub).

Basically everything is voice acted except villager snippets and stuff like shopkeepers.

The main plot is 100% voice acted bar some weird exceptions/bugs maybe.

Every recruitment sequence is voice acted.

Just don't expect every villager (of which there are many) to be voice acted. Those are text only (bar when involved in an important quest).

Edit: Reports on the Switch version is : « don't play it on Switch ». It's ugly, it runs like crap, loading times are atrocious, and expect crashes, many crashes, in a game with unreliable autosaving (AFAICT it only autosaves when transitioning from the overworld, and maybe at major story beats).

Last edited:

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm heading to the Proving Grounds, everyone's favorite dungeon right. i do not care much for marissa's... creature.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
If you use the mini-map and carefully follow the routes getting through the Proving Grounds really isn't an issue. Although running out of resources like Healing Herbs can be a minor issue but going back to the Treefolk Village isn't a big deal.

Also because the way the dungeon works you don't really lose progress because once you enable a specific switch, it stays on so retreading isn't necessary.

The Mines before you get your Castle was probably a more annoying dungeon simply due to how long they are to traverse the first time through them without any of the shortcuts unlocked.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
I didn't even use the minimap there, I just looked at what happened when I spun the blocks and it seemed pretty obvious which configurations were useful. There's a bright blue line leading to/from each route.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
It just made more sense to use a Runeshard Escape to go back to the beginning of the dungeon after every activation switch in the Proving Grounds rather than walk all the way back to the Rotation Mechanism, so it just made it easier to restock up on supplies that way. Made completing the dungeon faster too.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
lol was I supposed to do this at this point?

quite a bit into the game:

I'm supposed to go to the Eldroad, but I went and did CJ's Runebarrows and then I had enough materials to build the mysterious room. I talked to the lady there, and did the first 2 fights and the re-fight against Nerthus boss, only in doing so I went from level 43 to 60. It wasn't easy but it wasn't really hard to do either. Don't really care about being over leveled, just confused that this is available at this point.

Last edited:

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
lol was I supposed to do this at this point?

quite a bit into the game:

I'm supposed to go to the Eldroad, but I went and did CJ's Runebarrows and then I had enough materials to build the mysterious room. I talked to the lady there, and did the first 2 fights and the re-fight against Nerthus boss, only in doing so I went from level 43 to 60. It wasn't easy but it wasn't really hard to do either. Don't really care about being over leveled, just confused that this is available at this point.
It's super weird. Luckily you can still recruit her even if you just die immediately, so you don't have to make some characters super overleveled just for her sake..

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Is the Switch version in a slid state nowadays ? If not are more updates planned or already announced ?

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
I guess crashes will most likely get better on Switch but as for performance that will most likely not see any large improvements.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
So did any of y'all use the Growth Badge, and Dash Boots the whole game? I'm about 12 hours in now (proving grounds), and kinda feel like I need those 2 all the time, which sucks. Haha.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using the Dash Boots since I got them, yes. I think given the size of the game maps, the Dash Boot speed should have been the default speed, if I'm being completely honest.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
So did any of y'all use the Growth Badge, and Dash Boots the whole game? I'm about 12 hours in now (proving grounds), and kinda feel like I need those 2 all the time, which sucks. Haha.

I've been using the Dash Boots since I got them, yes. I think given the size of the game maps, the Dash Boot speed should have been the default speed, if I'm being completely honest.

You'll recruit a support who provides faster speed than the dash boots, and doesn't stack.

Growth Badge won't affect much unless someone's behind since the leveling is elastic.

scurker

Oct 25, 2017
So I've finally completed the game and recruited everyone. And I have some thoughts...

For someone where the Suikoden series is one of, if not my favorite series of games, Eiyuden Chronicles ultimately falls shorts of what I was hoping the game would be. It might feel unfair to judge the game against the high bar of Suikoden's previous entries, but this game was brought forth as a spiritual successor to the series so it's not out of the realm to compare them against one another.

That said, there's are a few areas I think that Eiyuden did improve on and did well:

The well crafted pixel art and med-low poly environments I think really does a good job of capturing the overall vibe of the series of that era while feeling yet more modern. My younger self had imagined this is what a true successor to Suikdeon II should be compared to what happened in III and up. Additionally, the writing of the characters and full voice acting was a surprising delight and did a lot to bring you more into the world of Allraan. From all of this you can tell that great care was taken to try and craft an engaging experience and the game does succeed fairly well with its diverse and varied environments and varied characters.

Unfortunately, the story is where I think the game ultimately starts to fall apart.

The game ultimately feels like a loosely tied together plot where the plot is just a means to an end to move things forward. The main villain's plot never feels very threatening nor does it feel imposing. Early on in the game, Nowa's village is burned down but there's no real consequences to these actions as you can visit the town shortly after relatively unscathed. Similarly for other towns which are captured by the empire there's no real consequences to the actions of the empire that ultimately make them feel inconsequential.

This is in sharp contrast to the events of Suikoden II in which Luca Blight feels like a real threat. There's the devastation brought to Ryubi village, or where Jowy are captured in Highland and are set to be executed before the timely saving from your mercenary friends. The story in Eiyuden is missing a lot of teeth and ultimately suffers from it. Maybe the developers were going for more of a lighthearted story, but personally it feels that the game has suffered as a result of this and feels like there is a lot missing from the heart of the story.

At no point did I feel like the empire was a real threat and that's where I think the story falls flat is there doesn't feel like any kind of major conflict. Additionally, the majority of Dux Aldric's actions are performed off screen so you never actually see the plot developing for yourself but it's all told off-hand making it feel disconnected.

This was a major disappointment for me as the story and lore of Suikoden is ultimately what made me first fall in love with the series, and that such a major component of that missing here in Eiyuden that has left me feeling ultimately unsatisfied at the end.

This all can seemingly come across as negative, but this is primarily from the lens of the high expectations that were there from the foundations of the Suikoden series. I think the game itself is an okay game and I'm glad it got made, and I hope that Eiyuden is successful and continues as a series but I was hoping for so much more knowing what has come before.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I understand comparing the story to the previous entries, but IMO it's still lightyears ahead of most of what comes out these days bar some oddities like some Falcom titles.

It's very rare for me these days to find a story « nice » and not utter trash.

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I just suffered through the duel with the undead guy for well over an hour until giving up and looking online for solutions. Such a half baked system, just like almost everything else in this game. So frustrating.

I figure that I'm close to the end, so I'm just going to hate-beat it, but it's the worst game I've played since Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising.

edit: And I was just forced to replay the entire battle at my castle with the Dux because the game crashed during a random encounter in the field afterward, and didn't autosave at any point. How fun.

edit 2: Wow and it just crashed again during the cutscene after the boss fight with Heinrich, so now I get to spend 30 minutes doing that again. What an absolute disappointment this game is.

Last edited:

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the game with true ending few days ago.

Game is a solid 7. Characters, story and graphic are mediocre.

Now I'm watching Suikoden II on YouTube just to feel better

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
Just finished the game. Towards the end, it's so obvious there's a stark change in pacing... It's just suddenly a bunch of UNO Reverse cards being played out and then the Alliance completely overwhelm the enemies when it was the opposite a minute ago. Everything's then liberated swiftly without much gameplay and fanfare and it's time for final showdown.

Can't help but think that this is where 505 Games started giving stern deadlines even when the development of the main scenario is not finished yet and Murayama had to rewrite a rushed version. The westmost part of the world map is completely unvisited. I'm sure this is the territory of the dragonewts and originally there should be main scenarios taking place here.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
I backed a physical copy of this on Kickstarter and filled out the forms multiple times as required over the years. Have copies been mailed yet? Last I saw there were some shipping complications with additional fees, but I never saw anything about a link or process to pay said fees.

Any advice appreciated!

double_heist

Nov 19, 2019
Yeah I'm almost done with the game and as a big Suikoden fan, this game feels mid and feels more like a rip off of Suikoden than a spiritual successor to Suikoden.

The cooking system is crap because you can just abuse Omelet/Vegetable Soup/Coconut Water and you'll win majority, if not all the time. The duel isn't as good and I still don't know how it exactly works, the big battles don't really require strategy anymore. The story also feels lackluster and the motivation of the evil side is shrouded in mystery for me.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
I backed a physical copy of this on Kickstarter and filled out the forms multiple times as required over the years. Have copies been mailed yet? Last I saw there were some shipping complications with additional fees, but I never saw anything about a link or process to pay said fees.

Any advice appreciated!

Everything but Switch shipped out a few weeks ago—around the official release. Switch was delayed, but I got a shipping notification for my copy last week and it should be here tomorrow.